Home | Community | Message Board

DoubleBlind - Learn to Grow Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Injection Ports, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineThe_High_Towel
The Highest Towel Period.

Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek
    #27102755 - 12/22/20 06:32 PM (2 months, 13 days ago)

Hey y'all

I've followed a bunch of teks from the basic BRF to Grain Jars with Millet or WBS and Oats, using a S.A.B, spraying the f**k outta my space with Microban and Lysol, using syringes and agar, PC'ing for 120min at 15psi or 90minutes at 18psi, I even built out a room to be a purpose driven shroom room, but everytime without fail, no matter how sterile I make it, or what method I use, my jars never get Myc growth, I only get this grey powder mold that takes over and fucks it up. I've probably spent over 5grand making sure I have all the proper equipment and set up. I just want one jar to go somewhere that isn't a garbage bag.

I'm using quart jars and I've got the GE holes in my lids and a SHIP port, and I've used tyvek, SFDs, felt, and polyfill teks but they always contam in less than a week. I'm getting tired of sinking money into this and continuously failing. So if anyone has any tips or tricks that may help, I'm all ears because not even the "No-Fail Teks" are working.

Thanks in advance y'all.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OnlineGastronomicus
3-0-G
Male

Re: Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek [Re: The_High_Towel] * 1
    #27102770 - 12/22/20 06:45 PM (2 months, 13 days ago)

Can we see your agar?

--------------------
Make my Funk the P Funk, I wants to get Funked up

LAGM2021

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek [Re: The_High_Towel] * 1
    #27102786 - 12/22/20 06:57 PM (2 months, 13 days ago)

5 grand is insane. Agar alone would tell you if you even had myc or mold before ever being in jars. TBH i got some doubt this is half true, or you're missing some key things in all this and went over board on solutions.

Either way here's what i suggest. Get reputable spores(not ebay or reddit or something like that), follow this tek exactly as it's written, and make a growlog thread to post each step so people can double check you. There's a huge problem somewhere and no one can look at this list and tell you how to fix it.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24179086

InvisibleIdiotCircusBoy
Human Person
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek [Re: LtLurker]
    #27102981 - 12/22/20 09:21 PM (2 months, 13 days ago)

:whathesaid:

This needs to be looked at one step at a time. 
1st Spores from Reputable Vendor
  Shroomery Sponsors
2nd Getting your AGAR right
  What Recipe are you using?
  What Method are you using?

--------------------
Just call me Idiot

"People hasten to judge in order not to be judged themselves."

OfflineEgohst
Stranger

Loc: God’s Palm Flag
Re: Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek [Re: IdiotCircusBoy]
    #27103009 - 12/22/20 09:39 PM (2 months, 13 days ago)

Agreed bc I am not crazy about cleaning and especially with jars started from agar should be less susceptible. Even before getting my giant HEPA my jars were fine unless my syringes were contam. Sometimes agar is contaminated and you never see it(bacterial) which then infects the grain and allows Trich/pen/you name it to come in and take hold. Last batch of jars I had contam I knew my agar was old, started from new spores and got to fruiting within 3 weeks. Use a sponsor. I have a legit Reddit guy for when sponsors have been sold out. Reddit is not all bad. Lots of variables at play here.

--------------------
Literally, sever nober!

Offlinegreenladel

Re: Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek [Re: Egohst]
    #27103534 - 12/23/20 06:45 AM (2 months, 13 days ago)

5k?????
clearly money does not buy happiness :laugh:
might sound simple, but you didnt mention it so i thought i would check. are you flame sterilizing your needles and properly venting your PC?
i wish i could offer more, but i am also new. i had similar problems and i am 15 days into my first successful BRF jars (successful so far). for me i think my problems came from small errors here and there. once i was comfortable with my workflow and taking extra care at sensitive steps everything seemed to fall into place.

good luck <3

InvisiblezManS
zMan

Re: Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek [Re: greenladel]
    #27103706 - 12/23/20 10:22 AM (2 months, 12 days ago)

What you're describing is literally impossible unless your house is super disgusting or you're starting with bad spores.

Where did you get the syring?
Is the air around your SAB  still?

I made a small room for my savings and had a whole on one of the sides and it gave me some issues but it still wasn't 100% contam. I've actually done a bunch of different unsterile stuff but never at 100% contam

--------------------
Information for everyone: http://www.mushroomvideos.com
Are your grains or spawn clean? CLICK THIS CHECKLIST

OfflineSingle_Sum
 User Gallery

Re: Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek [Re: The_High_Towel]
    #27103830 - 12/23/20 11:53 AM (2 months, 12 days ago)

Quote:

The_High_Towel said:

I'm using quart jars

Why on earth are you using such big jars? I would just focus on getting some half pint jars colonized first, and then I'd go on to quart size jars.

InvisibleIdiotCircusBoy
Human Person
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek [Re: Single_Sum]
    #27103909 - 12/23/20 12:35 PM (2 months, 12 days ago)

I don't think your jar size is the issue unless you are doing PF TEK, but how full are your jars.  For grains they should be 2/3 to 3/4.

--------------------
Just call me Idiot

"People hasten to judge in order not to be judged themselves."

OfflineSingle_Sum
 User Gallery

Re: Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek [Re: IdiotCircusBoy]
    #27104006 - 12/23/20 01:29 PM (2 months, 12 days ago)

I'm not saying the jar size is the issue, either. Although, it might be. Larger jar = longer colonization time = larger window of opportunity for contamination.

Regardless, I'd start out small, figure out how it's done, and then move on to bigger jars. If for nothing else, at least you wouldn't be wasting all that grain and time.

OfflineTigerStrike
carpophore locator

Re: Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek [Re: Single_Sum]
    #27104062 - 12/23/20 01:56 PM (2 months, 12 days ago)

In a way having a dirty spore print can teach the best sterile technique. Just wait till you get a good print or syringe.

OfflineEgohst
Stranger

Loc: God’s Palm Flag
Re: Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek [Re: TigerStrike]
    #27117169 - 12/30/20 11:54 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Greenladel def has a point. Flame the needle before the first jar and between each jar if you’re doing multiple with one syringe.

Do you soak your grain? I didn’t see a soak in your description. It germinates the bacterial endospores. Soak 4-36 hours before Boiling.

Do you have agar work? Or are you straight syringe to jar? I no longer modify my lids in any way but I don’t use syringes, I use agar. I colonize the agar, pop the jar lid, throw agar in. Leave jar lid loose and I slightly bend the cap upwards before screwing on the ring. Just enough bend to barely lift the ring edge from the jar. I am seeing my colonization times the same as using polyfill. I only totally fill my jars to the top when I grain to grain. Agar to grain jars are only filled about half, I then use those for G2G

--------------------
Literally, sever nober!

Offlinebitcrazyy
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek [Re: Egohst]
    #27117179 - 12/31/20 12:01 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Start with PF-Tek them go from there. You're over PCing the shit out of them for one. 20 minutes at 15psi...

5 grand ? jesus christ man... you could have bought a kit for <$200...

OfflineSniklefritz
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek [Re: bitcrazyy]
    #27117306 - 12/31/20 01:27 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

5k? Is this your first hobby?

Im really new to growing mushrooms, but im a veteran at taking on new hobbies. You need to spend as little money as possible at first until you master the basics before sliding all your chips to the middle of the table... 5k? No...

The way i see it, you dont know if the problem is with the MSS or the grain prep. To figure this out you need to start at the beginning. Make a clean culture on agar FIRST. That will rule that out as the source of the problem. Then work your way up the chain of processes. Grain prep isnt that hard, just dont overcook them so they dont burst.

People get so hung up about using injection ports, like was mentioned above with clean agar in an SAB, i just open my lid and plop a wege in and close it up. The only jars ive had contaminate yet were from overcooked burst grains being too easy of a food source for bacteria.

Edited by Sniklefritz (12/31/20 01:28 AM)

InvisibleJim Nemo
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek [Re: zMan]
    #27117544 - 12/31/20 06:52 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Quote:

zMan said:
What you're describing is literally impossible unless your house is super disgusting or you're starting with bad spores.

first came to my mind too.
clean your house until you could eat without a plate everywhere, then get a legit sporeprint.
if this doesn't work, we need that very detailed growlog.
don't worry, it's gonna work out! :thumbup:

and since everybody here is curious, please tell us exactly about the 5k investment! :grin:
no judgement - at least from me.

--------------------
When the acid trip is over, you gotta come back to mother blues...

InvisiblezManS
zMan

Re: Jars Keep Contaming No Matter The Tek [Re: Jim Nemo]
    #27117867 - 12/31/20 11:41 AM (2 months, 4 days ago)

I would start with just a clean syringe and a SAB. Your house could be pretty gross and you should still be able to make it work.

--------------------
Information for everyone: http://www.mushroomvideos.com
Are your grains or spawn clean? CLICK THIS CHECKLIST

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, HEPA Filter, Injection Ports, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started