Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Dehydrator, Gypsum, Mycobags, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSniklefritz
Stranger
 User Gallery
First ever grow, Harvest day! How'd I do?
    #27116147 - 12/30/20 02:02 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

I started my mushroom growing journey around mid November.. did a lot of reading one weekend and took the plunge. Decided to skip the usual BRF cakes or PF teks for my first time and went straight to wheat berry spawn bulked to pasteurized coir and verm in a shoebox. Started with a purchased colony of Golden Emperor on agar, theyre easy to find in Canada.

Took about 3 weeks to colonize the jars, and about 13 days in the shoeboxes to start fruiting.
Woke up this morning to a few veils breaking so it looks like today is harvest day for the first of numerous shoeboxes! Im hooked lol.
I have another bunch of jars colonizing from a g2g transfer. And Ive got some PES amazonian going on agar im putting to grain today too.

Its been a few years since i got bored with and stopped brewing beer and ranching dozens of different yeasts, so its exciting to find another hobby with equal or greater complexity! Love it. Next step is playing with different substrates in PC'd mycobags.

Cheers!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRoscoeReturns
Stranger
Male

Loc: State of Confusion
Re: First ever grow, Harvest day! How'd I do? [Re: Sniklefritz]
    #27116177 - 12/30/20 02:22 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Great job for a first time. I wish my first would have been as fruitful.

OfflineSniklefritz
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: First ever grow, Harvest day! How'd I do? [Re: RoscoeReturns]
    #27116187 - 12/30/20 02:27 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Thanks RR! Not sure if its beginners luck or not but I'll take it. No doubt the whiff of success has got me hook, line and sinker.

So many things to learn with mycology, i love the depth of it.

Offlinebitcrazyy
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#27116348 - 12/30/20 03:40 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Beautiful! First grow was a casing ? Props... How are you going to dry them ? If you could link to the tek you used I'd be much appreciated. Been gone from the hobby for a long time.

Edited by bitcrazyy (12/30/20 03:41 PM)

OfflineSniklefritz
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: First ever grow, Harvest day! How'd I do? [Re: bitcrazyy]
    #27116399 - 12/30/20 04:06 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Thanks! I have a variable heat food dehydrator ill use for drying on the lowest heat setting.

As for tek, I didnt really use any specific tek. I sort of just took ideas from a lot of things i read online and went with it. I soaked wheat berries overnight with gypsum and a bit of coffee, then cooked for 10-15min, strained and dried them on a towel till they were quite dry. Then PC'd for 2hrs at 15psi.

When jars were colonized I pasteurized the coco and vermiculite on the stove in a big pot of water like soup at 165f. The pot was lined with a BIAB voile cloth brew bag for easy sub removal. After an hr i pulled the brew bag out and let it drain for a bit then squeezed a bit to get to field capacity. I guess Ill call that method of sub prep BIAB-tek hahaha. Was a decent way to get to Field capacit and it helped remove a lot of dust and fines.

Past that, it was just set it and forget it dubtub. No misting, no fanning, nothing. Just left it to do its thing.

Offlinebitcrazyy
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#27116585 - 12/30/20 05:38 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Sniklefritz said:\
Past that, it was just set it and forget it dubtub. No misting, no fanning, nothing. Just left it to do its thing.

Wow! Things have changed a lot. Thanks for the information, a set it and forget it tek is definitely the thing for me!

OfflineSniklefritz
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: First ever grow, Harvest day! How'd I do? [Re: bitcrazyy]
    #27116631 - 12/30/20 06:02 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

bitcrazyy said:
Quote:

Wow! Things have changed a lot. Thanks for the information, a set it and forget it tek is definitely the thing for me!

Thats what sold me on the shoeboxes. It seems like just the right air volume inside to match the sub amd spawn volume to keep the right level of moisture without the need to mist it, and the FAE holes covered in micropore tape are enough to evap some moisture. The surface conditions looked great quick and stayed that way. The Golden Emperor is an easy one to grow from what ive read too, im not so sure it would go so smoothe with a fussier variety.

OfflineArtfulmushroom
Stranger

#27116758 - 12/30/20 07:29 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Goodjob bro! Looks great. What was dry weight?

OfflineSniklefritz
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: First ever grow, Harvest day! How'd I do? [Re: Artfulmushroom]
    #27116777 - 12/30/20 07:38 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Artfulmushroom said:
Goodjob bro! Looks great. What was dry weight?

Ill know tomorrow. Harvesting this one tonight.

Invisiblebigfootscreepyuncl
Stranger

Loc: Gamehenge
    #27116989 - 12/30/20 09:55 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Awesome flush, mate! My grain is colonizing at the moment and if it turns out half as well as yours did I'll be thrilled.

I started this new hobby like you when I got tired of and bored with homebrewing. Well, drinking in general actually. Get those things harvested and see what flush #2 has in store. Cheers!

--------------------
Bigfoots LAGM21

InvisibleShroomysamba

Re: First ever grow, Harvest day! How'd I do? [Re: bigfootscreepyuncl]
    #27117004 - 12/30/20 10:03 PM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Awesome flush hope to run a few shoeboxes soon hope I get similar results :thumbup:

OfflineSniklefritz
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First ever grow, Harvest day! How'd I do? [Re: Shroomysamba]
    #27117315 - 12/31/20 01:42 AM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Thanks guys! Im pretty pleased with the results myself! I made a few craters in the cake twisting out the shrooms but ill see what happens next. Its soaking in RO water at the moment.

The next shoebox is gonna come down in the morning by the looks of things. Ive got 7 more jars of spawn nearly colonized and just put agar wedges of PES Amazonian into 6 grain jars tonight. These ones are an experiment, it had a speck of what looked like a yeast on the agar, but im out of agar and had grain jars, so i just made those lol. Fingers crossed, but ive got a good feeling about it. If it flops, there is more where that came from.

Edited by Sniklefritz (12/31/20 01:42 AM)

Invisiblebigfootscreepyuncl
Stranger

Loc: Gamehenge
    #27117338 - 12/31/20 02:04 AM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Everything looks good so far man! Have you seen this harvesting TEK? I don't see why it won't work for shoeboxes and might save some time by soaking overnight.

Also, in your last picture of the jars: do the lids without the RTV just have a SFD taped in place with micropore tape? And one with no GE holes?

Why does your 'scalpel' have tape on it? Cheers

--------------------
Bigfoots LAGM21

OfflineSniklefritz
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First ever grow, Harvest day! How'd I do? [Re: bigfootscreepyuncl]
    #27117348 - 12/31/20 02:13 AM (2 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

bigfootscreepyuncl said:
Everything looks good so far man! Have you seen this harvesting TEK? I don't see why it won't work for shoeboxes and might save some time by soaking overnight.

Also, in your last picture of the jars: do the lids without the RTV just have a SFD taped in place with micropore tape? And one with no GE holes?

Why does your 'scalpel' have tape on it? Cheers

Thanks ill check that out. The jar lids.. Yes to all the questions. Im just trying different things out to see what i can get away with. The jars with RTV have a 1/4" hole drilled with tyvek and micropore tape. The lids with just tyvek and micropore tape have 3 small holes punched with a finishing nail in a cluster rather than a 1/4" hole. And yes 1 right now has no hole or filter, just upside down with the ring lightly snug but not super tight. And the "Hobby knife" doesnt have tape on it, must be from the camera flash or something. Its all metal. I PC'd it with the grain as well as flame sterilized it.

OfflineSniklefritz
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27118405 - 12/31/20 03:39 PM (2 months, 2 days ago)

So wet weight on the first shoebox was 308.6g, and on the second one its 292.2g.

In the dehydrator now.

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Loc: North eastern USA
    #27118875 - 12/31/20 07:15 PM (2 months, 2 days ago)

Congrats brother. Nice job. I hope once I get my feet wet my results are similar

--------------------
Can’t we all just get along???
Progress not perfection.
Don’t judge others because their flaws are different than yours

OfflineDoctor MarioS
πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„πŸ„
Male

Loc: πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ
Re: First ever grow, Harvest day! How'd I do? [Re: ErnieErgot67]
    #27119220 - 12/31/20 10:00 PM (2 months, 2 days ago)

That tub looks a hell of a lot better than my first set. Good job. You deserve 5.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Dehydrator, Gypsum, Mycobags, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started