Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetall dwarf
Strange
Orissa India - weak mycelium?
    #10609317 - 07/02/09 11:42 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Hi, I recently did 2 batches of BRF cakes, a dozen Equador and a dozen Orissa India.  Both strains colonized the jars quickly in about 2 weeks, but the Orissa India mycelium looked grey and dull and nothing like the Equadors which were bright white and heavily rhizomorphic.  With the Orissa India jars you could still sort of see the brf mix through the mycelium even though it was colonized whereas the Equadors were solid white.

A few days after colonization I crumbled the cakes into hpoo.  I'm now 13 days into the spawn run and the Equador trays are nearly done, the spawn ripped right through them.  But the Orissa India trays have barely colonized at all.  I'm using transparent trays so I can see through the sides and there are a few fluffy white spots but basically the Orissa India spawn has done NOTHING in 13 days.  And for both strains my procedure and conditions have been identical.  I'm starting to think that half my project will be a total loss. 

Has anyone had a similar experience with Orissa India?  Is the mycelium supposed to be grey and non-rhizomorphic?  Can anyone explained what happened here?!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Loc: Mod not God Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Orissa India - weak mycelium? [Re: tall dwarf]
    #10611074 - 07/02/09 05:23 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Be patient... everything should be fine.

Some myc is more aggressive than others. IME, EQ is very aggressive and white. OI myc was not nearly as vibrant looking as EQ. I never raced the two, so I don't remember which was quickest...

But mother nature is weird. Not all things run on the same schedule.

Congrats on your EQ success, and we'll see about the OI.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinekaneabel
getting my feet wet
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Indiana
Re: Orissa India - weak mycelium? [Re: Rose]
    #10611111 - 07/02/09 05:30 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

the OI should be ok, different strain, different characteristics...Mushrooms are kind of like humans, if you think about it....

Offlinetall dwarf
Strange
    #10806244 - 08/05/09 04:17 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Hi I just wanted to give an update in case anyone cares or if anyone searches for this in the future.

The Orissa India spawn never colonized the trays.  It's been over six weeks and the trays still look fully uncolonized with the exception of a few whispy single strands of mycelium stretching around the sub.  It's very weird looking, just a few lonely independent rhizomorphs reaching far out to find a network...or whatever.
As I wrote in the 1st post, these trays were prepared in an identical manner to some Ecuador spawn so the problem must be the strain.

Also, I had one Orissa cake leftover that wasn't crumbled and I tried to fruit it as a PF cake and it didn't fruit at all.  So I guess there's some bad OI going around.  The syringe was from a highly regarded shroomery vendor.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10806437 - 08/05/09 04:43 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Either bad genetics... which is quite possible, or you fucked something up, which can happen. The myc stalled... could be a contam. Hard to say if it was you or the vendor. Vendors make mistakes too. Had you saved some spores you could do further tests. Perhaps contact the vendor. They might help. But just because one grow worked and the other didn't doesn't mean you got bad spores.

It is odd though... any pics?

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Edited by Rose (08/05/09 04:49 PM)

Offlinetall dwarf
Strange
    #10806582 - 08/05/09 05:02 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah as I said in the first post, things were odd immediately after inoculation of the BRF jars.  The Orissa jars colonized at normal cubensis speed but the mycelium was just grey and dull looking.  If it was a contam, it colonized and spread through a half-pint jar exactly like healthy cubensis mycelium would.  But it always looked greyer than anything I had seen before.  And all 12 jars acted the same way.  Even the first one which was inoculated immediately after removing the syringe from its sterile wrapping, with little chance for contam.  So I don't know what to think.

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #10807307 - 08/05/09 06:55 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, neither do I.

Pics would help.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
    #10807308 - 08/05/09 06:55 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Cobweb?

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineRoseM
Devil's Advocate
Female User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Orissa India - weak mycelium? [Re: hyphae]
    #10807313 - 08/05/09 06:56 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

That is what I was wondering.

--------------------
Fiddlesticks.

Offlinetall dwarf
Strange
    #10816435 - 08/07/09 07:58 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

No way on the cobweb.

Quote:

Cervantes said:
Pics would help.

Damn I wish I had taken pics.  2 days ago I dumped all the trays for some girl to throw in her compost.  The trays looked fully uncolonized with some long but single rhizos growing around but not taking hold or connecting.

Offlinesilvanadelucci
Stranger

#12077559 - 02/22/10 02:03 PM (14 years, 28 days ago)

I recently inoculated a wbs jar with IO. I saw initial growth within 2 weeks though only one spot was visible. This spot of mycelium grew to about the size of a quarter then stalled. It didn't grow anymore in the jar even with incubation. As a desperate attempt to start growth again I opened the jar and scooped out the mycelium and placed it into a grow bag with manure, blood meal, used coffee grounds, and a drop of vegetable oil.

I still haven't seen any growth at all.

I have heard that IO isn't a great strain to begin on.

Also, every one of my non-IO jars colonized very quickly and healthily.

--------------------
Hay! Who lef they bag?!

OfflinePber
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Orissa India - weak mycelium? [Re: silvanadelucci]
    #26320360 - 11/14/19 04:22 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

so i have had the same issue with the orissa. it was insane when it came to col grain. 1 week max for a 4 lb grain bag. i made grain bags and all col just fine. bulked out each bag to 5, 4lb 50/50 bags. its been almost 2 weeks and some have fully col but mainly they have that stalled look. this is the 2nd attempt at orissa. the first i had my sub to dry, i remedied this and the col of the sub bags was noticeably better for the first few days ,but afterwards its back to the slowing down part. i am puzzled. the syringe was from someone i have gotten genetics from previously and is reputable. The LC ripped through my agar plates, grain bags, and grain to grain transfers. but she doesnt like the 50/50? i use 10% gpysum in my sub.so its not compacting like muddy dirt. ive heard of others recently having similar issues.  are we all on a bunk genetic or does it prefer something crazy different?

--------------------
" I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. "

Offlinespawner1
Stranger
Re: Orissa India - weak mycelium? [Re: Pber]
    #27106677 - 12/24/20 11:04 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I'm experiencing the same thing... did you happen to get a first flush out of your grow?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale