Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Grow Light

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineoncloud
Stranger
Female
Weird crust and short fatties - what am I doing wrong?
    #27104959 - 12/23/20 11:51 PM (2 months, 1 day ago)

Hey y'all, I'm in the fruiting stage of my first monotub. I'm following North Spore's monotub tek and it was going well, but at this point I'm feeling a little in the dark on what I should be doing, and also if it's looking normal/healthy. There's so much conflicting info out there.

As of now I've cased w/ coco. The video I was going off of said to leave the top cracked and mist a few times a day. But I've read not to get your fruiting bodies wet, so I've been misting the sides and fanning like 1-2 x day.

I noticed they are super stumpy and have this crackly lookin layer on the tops of the caps. I tried trouble shooting and searching endless forums online, and all I could find was that my cake might be too dry? I am a little worried about contam at this point, too.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated 🙏🤙

Update: This morning there's a few normal looking ones popping up which I pictured as well.

Edited by oncloud (12/24/20 02:44 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDr.Sparkle
Dr

Re: Weird crust and short fatties - what am I doing wrong? [Re: oncloud]
    #27104975 - 12/24/20 12:13 AM (2 months, 1 day ago)

Post some pictures! Can’t say without looking.

Check this link its a links page by a trusted cultivator. Look for the how it should and shouldn’t look link.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=24297804&page=0&vc=1#24297804

OfflineBallzagna
Carb Daddy
Male

#27105089 - 12/24/20 02:54 AM (2 months, 1 day ago)

you shouldn't be misting and fanning with a properly dialed monotub.

pictures would help.

I have a lot of useful info in my sig under noob notes and it also has a list of good teks if you want to get some new perspectives on how it's done.

--------------------
No one likes a naysayer

It's probably fine. Even if it's not fine, it'll eventually be fine. So it's fine.
LAGM2021 | PE Adventure
:sunny:Photosynthesis: A Morning Ritual:sunny:
Ballzagna's Tek Compendium and Notes for Noobs --- Looking for no-pour agar plates? I got you!

Offlineoncloud
Stranger
Female
Re: Weird crust and short fatties - what am I doing wrong? [Re: Dr.Sparkle]
    #27105725 - 12/24/20 02:18 PM (2 months, 13 hours ago)

Thanks I'll check it out! I was having trouble posting pics initially since I was on my phone, but I've uploaded some now. There are a few new normal looking ones that have popped up overnight that I've pictured, wondering if I should harvest the ones that now look like straight up mold on the caps.

Offlineoncloud
Stranger
Female
Re: Weird crust and short fatties - what am I doing wrong? [Re: Ballzagna]
    #27105739 - 12/24/20 02:23 PM (2 months, 13 hours ago)

Ok good to know. I was having issues posting pics initially but have some up now. Stoked it looks like I have a few healthy ones popping up which I've pictured. Kinda wanna harvest the ones that look moldy and get em out of there.

I'll deff check that out thanks! This was cool but don't think I'll want to do this method again. Shotgun looks really interesting to me and I'm kinda wanting to try that next, but I'll explore my options. I have a half colonized 3 lb grain bag so I have a little bit to figure it out.

OfflineDr.Sparkle
Dr

#27105754 - 12/24/20 02:31 PM (2 months, 12 hours ago)

For sure those new ones look way better. What strain are you growing? And yes a properly dialed tub should not need misting or fanning. I believe fanning is outdated just adjust your polyfill to increase or decrease FAE. Dialing in  a tub takes practice so some misting will be required.
The caps do look dry on the blobs but its hard to tell with the photo, the new ones look good so leave it be and watch it go.

Offlineoncloud
Stranger
Female
    #27105771 - 12/24/20 02:39 PM (2 months, 12 hours ago)

I'm growing b+. Seemed like a safe choice for my first time.

Dope, I thinned out my poly quite a bit since the beginning, so maybe I'll close my lid and see how it goes.

Would you leave the moldy looking ones in or take em out?

OfflineDr.Sparkle
Dr

#27105794 - 12/24/20 02:54 PM (2 months, 12 hours ago)

Yes keep the lid closed for sure, the lid should stay on with a modified tub. The poly is where the air exchange should be happening.
Cut em and dry them until cracker dry they should be good to eat, unless they are rotten through with mold. The one with the indentation might be rotten through. They might just be mutants, or mutants caused by contamination. Think your tubs looks quite dry, the purple picture colour doesn't help. Give them a mist I say! As some of those round blob caps look dry as fuck.

Edited by Dr.Sparkle (12/24/20 02:56 PM)

Offlineoncloud
Stranger
Female
    #27106242 - 12/24/20 07:21 PM (2 months, 8 hours ago)

Thanks for all the info! I'll harvest the weirdos and then mist and shut it.

Sorry for the purple, the tub is in a tent w/ some clones so the grow light is messing w/ the color lol

OfflineDr.Sparkle
Dr

#27106253 - 12/24/20 07:28 PM (2 months, 7 hours ago)

Okay is the tent heated with a light inside as well? Just wondering as monotubs don’t need to go in tents. They will do better in a cupboard, on a shelf or just in a room. Thats how the guys who have made the teks have them. If you have a heater or a light in there I would think you run into heat and drying out problems.

Offlineoncloud
Stranger
Female
    #27106350 - 12/24/20 08:47 PM (2 months, 6 hours ago)

Oh shootie maybe that's my problem. I looked at the link for what it shouldn't look like, and my problem mostly resembled a dry environment.

It is heated with a light, our house gets in the high 50's low 60's at night so I keep the tent around 70.. Our house is old af with old carpet so I figured keeping it in the heated tent would be better (worried about contam), but maybe I should just see how it does outside the tent in cooler conditions...

Offlineoncloud
Stranger
Female
    #27120880 - 01/01/21 08:12 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Yooo so you were right about the contam, pretty sure it's cobweb. Fuckin bummed. The red circle is where I dropped a couple drops of h2O2 and it bubbled and melted away. :thumbdown:

Do you think my tub is salvageable? I've seen mixed info on whether h2O2 harms fruiting bodies & healthy myc so idk if I should mist with h2O2 and fan or just chuck it.

Thanks again for your help  :thanx:

Edited by oncloud (01/01/21 08:14 PM)

OfflineHawkbill
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27120989 - 01/01/21 09:14 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Well that depends. Are you set up with another tub or is that all you got?

Offlineoncloud
Stranger
Female
Re: Weird crust and short fatties - what am I doing wrong? [Re: Hawkbill]
    #27121444 - 01/02/21 04:14 AM (1 month, 22 days ago)

This is all I got set up rn. I have a grain bag that's about 2 weeks from being ready to go, and a non modified tub I'm planning to make into a sgfc within the next couple days here.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Grow Light

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started