Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinephi1618
old hand

DMCRA
    #2710379 - 05/21/04 10:41 AM (13 years, 5 days ago)

There is a bill in the house right now that would restore the principle of fair-use which was destroyed by the DMCA.

From the electronic frontier foundation:

The DMCRA would:
~ Require clear, visible labels for "copy-protected" audio compact discs that identify their limitations and applicable return policies.

~ Restore consumers' fair use rights by amending Section 1201 of the DMCA to allow circumvention of copy protection for non-infringing uses of the material. For example, it would allow someone to bypass the copy protection on a lawfully purchased DVD in order to view it on a computer running Linux.

~ Protect innovative, multi-purpose technologies. The DMCRA codifies a doctrine, outlined by the Supreme Court in its 1984 "Betamax" decision, which states that technologies with "substantial non-infringing uses" cannot be stifled by copyright holders.

The bill's CD labeling provisions will make certain that consumers know what they are getting when they buy music CDs. If record labels choose to sell "copy protected" CDs that offer consumers less for their money than the CDs they are accustomed to, these dysfunctional CDs should, at a minimum, be prominently
labeled.

The bill also amends the DMCA to make it clear that technological protections should not trump the public's traditional fair use rights under copyright law. Since the DMCA's passage in 1998, it has been used not against copyright pirates, but instead to chill the legitimate activities of scientists, journalists, and computer programmers. Rep. Boucher's bill will go a long way toward restoring in the digital world the traditional balance between the rights of the public and those of copyright owners.

For more information, including the text of the bill, check out:

http://www.house.gov/boucher/internet.htm

If you feel as I do, that it is critical that the DMCA be amended to allow traditional rights :wink: of fair use, you can do as I have and contact your representative using a very simple form from the EFF.
You can find it here:
http://action.eff.org/action/index.asp?step=1

Please contact your representative - let them know that this is an important issue. If you do, or if you have a reason not to, please let me know in this thread.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: DMCRA [Re: phi1618]
    #2712420 - 05/21/04 08:00 PM (13 years, 5 days ago)

What does DMCRA stand for.

I'm guessing "Digital Millenium Coyright... something ... Act".

--------------------

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: DMCRA [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2712427 - 05/21/04 08:02 PM (13 years, 5 days ago)

"Digital Media Consumer Rights Act"

For those that aren't interested enough to read the whole mess above,
it resores the certain rights of fair-use eliminated by the DMCA.

Edited by phi1618 (05/21/04 08:08 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion