Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleStudy The CNS
Anecdotal Subtext

Loc: Mexico Flag
*Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg
    #27097732 - 12/19/20 01:05 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Howdy, Everybody! Today, I want to respectfully introduce all of you to Greta Thunberg. You deserve to hear her current story in life.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greta_Thunberg

"My" Notes+++++

The Holocene extinction, otherwise referred to as the sixth mass extinction or Anthropocene extinction, is an ongoing extinction event of species during the present Holocene epoch (with the more recent time sometimes called Anthropocene) as a result of human activity. The included extinctions span numerous families of plants and animals, including mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fishes and invertebrates. With widespread degradation of highly biodiverse habitats such as coral reefs and rainforests, as well as other areas, the vast majority of these extinctions are thought to be undocumented, as the species are undiscovered at the time of their extinction, or no one has yet discovered their extinction. The current rate of extinction of species is estimated at 100 to 1,000 times higher than natural background extinction rates.

- https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holocene_extinction

MORE
https://paulstamets.com/mycological-strategies
https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54329813

Significance

The ongoing sixth mass extinction may be the most serious environmental threat to the persistence of civilization, because it is irreversible. Thousands of populations of critically endangered vertebrate animal species have been lost in a century, indicating that the sixth mass extinction is human caused and accelerating. The acceleration of the extinction crisis is certain because of the still fast growth in human numbers and consumption rates. In addition, species are links in ecosystems, and, as they fall out, the species they interact with are likely to go also. In the regions where disappearing species are concentrated, regional biodiversity collapses are likely occurring. Our results reemphasize the extreme urgency of taking massive global actions to save humanity’s crucial life-support systems.

- https://www.pnas.org/content/117/24/13596

Question: Do you believe we are trashing our own planet, and that the evidence presented for a 6th extinction event is real?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHartford
Lawful Good
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tennessee
Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: Study The CNS]
    #27097780 - 12/19/20 01:24 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

While I agree that the earth is being polluted, I don't think the evidence for a sixth extinction event is true to the extent that it's being claimed to be.

But the damage certainly is drastic enough to achieve the goal of convincing people to tone it down, which certainly will happen.

Invisiblebudmanman
OTD Masterbater
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: Hartford]
    #27097816 - 12/19/20 01:47 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
Everything I have ever said is total bogus bs I am full of crud therefore everything I say should never be taken literal.

And I am mentally unstable.

OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

Loc: United States Flag
Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: budmanman]
    #27097901 - 12/19/20 02:52 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Everyone was talking about this shit like 4 years ago when it happened. Now nobody gives two shits about stupid ass Greta Thornburg :shrug: i mean everyone knows people only talk about her cuz theyre jealous because she was born some kind of savant that garners all the sympathy so she can get away with anything and used that to get rich and famous sailing her parents yacht around the world for no reason. I'd call her publicist a genius if he wasn't such a scumbag. Pretty sure he stole all the money or something I forget. I mean imagine if you could pull that off. Brought awareness to the thing everyone was aware of and cash in. It almost boggles the mind.

Edited by CHeifM4sterDiezL (12/19/20 03:03 PM)

Invisiblebudmanman
OTD Masterbater
Male

Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: CHeifM4sterDiezL] * 1
    #27097912 - 12/19/20 02:57 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

--------------------
Everything I have ever said is total bogus bs I am full of crud therefore everything I say should never be taken literal.

OnlineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Loc: FNQ
Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: budmanman] * 1
    #27097917 - 12/19/20 02:58 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

In my relatively short life I have seen ecosystems dying, seen that there is significantly less animals, birds and fish in those ecosystems compared to what there used to be. I don't need science to tell me what I see is real.

The funny thing is though is that we don't have to do anything to nature to make it grow back, besides just leave it alone. Look at the demilitarized zone in Korea or Chernobyl and it's clear that life is extremely resistant and will flourish, if we don't actively kill it.

That said...

Greta is all weepy and boo-boo, which is normal for a young person who doesn't understand how intrinsically linked we are with death. We could all stop burning coal and stop making plastic and stop chopping down trees and it won't make one iota of difference when the next meteorite falls out of the sky and wipes out >90% of every species. It's happened before, it will happen again, it's just a matter of when.

--------------------
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

Invisiblebudmanman
OTD Masterbater
Male

Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: Northerner]
    #27097942 - 12/19/20 03:08 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Sure a big ass meteor might wipe a lot out but the more time that goes on, the less likely it is to happen, just a mathematical thing when everything formed out of a single point billions of years ago.

--------------------

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Roke
Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: Study The CNS] * 3
    #27097962 - 12/19/20 03:19 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Hatred of Greta makes no sense to me. I think its silly the media focuses so much attention on a random teen rather than the actual experts, sure, but is that a reason to hate her? No. I agree with most of what she says, and so does the vast majority of research.

We are fucking ourselves over in the long run, and all to the benefit of short term profits for the geriatric oligarch classes. The changes we need to make are mostly pretty clear, and have been for a while, we suffer from a lack of political will precisely because our political class is capitalist, and those with capital are invested in the status quo. Simple as that.

As to the extent of the extinctions, it's not looking good.I don't think we're looking at annihilation of our species or anything that extreme, but a destruction of numerous habitats and multiplying crises will at least negatively impact the human future for a long time to come. It's pretty clear

OnlineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: budmanman]
    #27097968 - 12/19/20 03:23 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

We generally get a big meteor every 150,000 years or so, and a really big one every few hundred million. It's been 250,000 years since our last big one so the odds are increasing, but at the rate we're going humans will wipe out most of ourselves in the next 500 years or so (optimistically). So we won't get to see the big flash in the sky and reduction of our planet to ash and ice, which is a shame really as it would be one hell of a thing to see.

--------------------

OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: Northerner] * 1
    #27097998 - 12/19/20 03:37 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

The amount of social panic right now is crazy. Its like mass hysteria. Look at yourselves get a grip.

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: Northerner] * 2
    #27097999 - 12/19/20 03:37 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I'm still holding out for a Star Trek tng future... we just have to go through a century long collapse first, so so far it's right on the money... 
:resignednonacceptance:

Invisiblemetalfaith
Moron
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: Northerner]
    #27098000 - 12/19/20 03:37 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Would seem to be that given technological advancement, some space invention that was capable of derailing a meteor heading for us.

I too don't get the hatred of Greta. I mean sure she is right on a lot of things and yes, this course of action is completely unsustainable. But she is a kid.. you laugh and somewhat pity a kid for being so arrogant. You don't hate them lol

There is zero chance we are not creating a huge extinction. I don't necessarily subscribe to the automatic response to that from most: that we must do whatever we can do stop that. Even if we used 100% biodegradable products and everything was completely sustainable, there will still be a mass extinction of some sort.

Humans cause change. Changes cause... change. Animals are not holy. They evolve and go extinct and will continue to do so.

--------------------

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: CHeifM4sterDiezL]
    #27098004 - 12/19/20 03:39 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CHeifM4sterDiezL said:
The amount of social panic right now is crazy. Its like mass hysteria. Look at yourselves get a grip.

the climate disaster is not social panic... I agree worrying about asteroids is, but the climate danger is unfortunately very supported by research. The people telling you not to worry are making money hand over fist by fucking us over.

I don't think we're looking at the end of the world or a mad max reality, just decades of economic and moral decline as the wealthy countries are eased into acceptance of violent nationalism, while the poor countries are forced to suffer.

Invisiblemetalfaith
Moron
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL
    #27098007 - 12/19/20 03:41 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

As much as this is an accurate sentiment, that does not at all mean there are not massive changes that MUST be done. The next statements from anyone with your line of thought is always completely devoid of any proposed solutions to the obvious problems that WILL occur if our current trajectory continues.

--------------------

OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: metalfaith]
    #27098026 - 12/19/20 03:57 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

The solution is a total revamp of the way things operate and alot of innovation. It starts with cleaning up on a local level but also bringing together a world unified in fighting climate change waste an pollution. This is meant to be the one thing the world can actually peacefully come together and work on and you have people talking about violent nationalizm and all this other crazy shit. Seriously what in the fuck is wrong with you people?

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

#27098041 - 12/19/20 04:05 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

CHeifM4sterDiezL said:
The solution is a total revamp of the way things operate and alot of innovation. It starts with cleaning up on a local level but also bringing together a world unified in fighting climate change waste an pollution. This is meant to be the one thing the world can actually peacefully come together and work on and you have people talking about violent nationalizm and all this other crazy shit. Seriously what in the fuck is wrong with you people?

nothing is 'wrong' with me for talking about the danger of nationalism.

The solution to climate change is global cooperation, and local political action to keep corporations in line, along with a lot of technical innovation.

I am concerned because the correct approach has been apparent to experts for decades, and the appropriate actions are not being adopted strongly or quickly enough to change our trajectory. The reason for this is that the class that benefits most off of our current situation, disproportionately influences politics in most countries, and it's in their interest -and the interest of many powerful corporate entities- to stall a lot of the necessary progress.

Where nationalism comes in is that there is currently a big surge in ethnocentrism and nationalist sentiment in many of the world's wealthiest and most powerful nations. This is concerning, because it doesn't take that much pressure to derail cooperative action and moral guidance.

I don't think nationalism or fascism is inevitable, but it is very hard to see how the United States and its closest allies go from where we are now, to a benevolent and proactive force for change.

Offlinemasspan
l'eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: Ezuma] * 2
    #27098061 - 12/19/20 04:19 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

this is a strong and meaningful young lady, she is speaking the truth, we are overburdening our planet, and you are truly stupid if you don't see that

to whoever, not you Ez

--------------------

my mother said, to get things done, you'd better not mess with Major Tom...whose status is the baddest, everytime 'they' bless the apparatus

Edited by masspan (12/19/20 04:20 PM)

OnlineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: masspan]
    #27098470 - 12/19/20 09:53 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe the Rona is here to "save the planet". We're just a couple of mutations away from a strain that will eliminate a huge proportion of the world's population. Or it's just a mild warning about what a serious virus is capable of.

In the same way how people, until very recently, were claiming that covid is a hoax to make big pharma rich and remove civil liberties in a 1984esque takeover, most people will not accept the realities of climate change or be prepared to make any personal changes or sacrifice until it is actually killing them. By then the damage will be done, it will be too late.

You want 10 million bucks? We'll just cut down all these trees okay? Throw this waste in the ocean okay? Most people would kill the trees or pollute the ocean for less. And this here is the problem and why it will not stop. Ever. Not until we are all dead. Humans are greedy and stupid creatures.

And when simple resources like food get low tempers will fray. The world will point at China and the US for their disproportionately high contribution to this mess, they will point at everyone else and say they went along with it. Trade relationships will crumble, civil unrest will strike most countries. It'll be like the good old days when war and malnutrition was a significant factor in average life expectancy.

China doesn't give a fuck, they're in it for the money and power, the US is very similar, the rest of the world is trying to copy them. But just say somehow we did manage to reconcile these two frenemies, how the hell is India, Russia or the Middle East going to come to this party? Legalising psychedelics worldwide would not provide enough self realisation to overcome the ancient hostilities between many of these nations.

Some people from what I read might think that I worry about meteorites, or any of this, but that could not be further from the truth. It actually gives me solace that our planet can recover from things like the chicxulub event and the nature will thrive again.

There's simply no real solution now and I'm not worried at all. We were always destined to die, everything dies eventually. Just when I was younger I did not envision how quickly we were accelerating towards the point when our planet rejects us, nor the futility of trying to get so many people to co-operate.

--------------------

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: Northerner] * 3
    #27098503 - 12/19/20 10:34 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Northerner said:
We generally get a big meteor every 150,000 years or so, and a really big one every few hundred million. It's been 250,000 years since our last big one so the odds are increasing, but at the rate we're going humans will wipe out most of ourselves in the next 500 years or so (optimistically). So we won't get to see the big flash in the sky and reduction of our planet to ash and ice, which is a shame really as it would be one hell of a thing to see.

The odds are not increasing. The likelyhood of a random event occurring doesn’t increase because it is “overdue.”

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

InvisibleBarnaby
Interesting lifetime
Male

Re: *Politely* Meet Miss Greta Thunberg [Re: Study The CNS]
    #27098505 - 12/19/20 10:36 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, no one has heard of her until now.

God, she is a teen that did something wonderful when she got it and now is a media puppet and she wants to take a break as they put it?  She is right and her message is playing on those that already know and deaf, dumb, and blind people where everything is money, money, money.  Now, Now, Now.

Let her live her life.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder