Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAtomisk
all forms areself awareness

Loc: jungle of love
sylvia browne
    #2701418 - 05/19/04 01:04 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i just saw her on montel. what does this community think of her? is it possible for her to be accurate?

--------------------
o house-builder! thou art seen. thou shalt build no house again. all thy rafters are broken. thy ridge-pole is shattered.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

Re: sylvia browne [Re: Atomisk]
    #2701452 - 05/19/04 01:09 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I believe she is authentic from what I've seen of her and read about her over the years she has been publicly known.I believe alot of receptive psychic abilities are possible and I know some are real through personal experience.However I'd be very skeptical if she claimed any external psychic phenomena that affected the physical environment such as moving things with the mind or starting fires with the mind and etc.

--------------------
"There is no fire like lust, no grip like hate, no net like delusions, no river like craving."

OfflineAtomisk
all forms areself awareness

Loc: jungle of love
Re: sylvia browne [Re: HypnoToad]
    #2702271 - 05/19/04 04:36 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

yeah, as would i.

swami, i would like to hear your explanations, in particular, on her, please. i value your opinion, as you have been around longer than i...and probably have seen many psychics come and go. do you think it is a scam? perhaps some sort of mass psycology thing?

also, i would appreciate everyones comments, not just swamis.

--------------------
o house-builder! thou art seen. thou shalt build no house again. all thy rafters are broken. thy ridge-pole is shattered.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity
    #2702929 - 05/19/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Whenever someone uses supposed psychic abilities for fame and profit, it is always a possibility they are a fake. While I believe in psychic abilities, I know a few people who would fit that category and would be far to humble to ever publicize it. That's not to say she isn't truly psychic though...

InvisibleSkorpivoMusterion
Livin in theTwilight Zone...
 User Gallery

Loc: You can't spell fungus wi...
    #2702957 - 05/19/04 08:09 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I've seen alot of her on shows, Larry King Live, Montel, etc., and even read numerous books by her..
My personal conclusion is that I find it rather difficult to believe it is simply a scam. I do believe a large number of so-called 'psychics' are merely people who've delved into their pseudo-analytical/advanced-intuitional aspects of psychogenic prowress--along with semi-sage advice-giving abilities based on the principal of common-sense and logical deduction, et al. Equivocal assertations and circumlocutory advice along with psychogenic-projections via the psychic's mind onto their client, who will usually listen to their psychic with an eager and ready-to-believe ear and so forth.

At the same time, I also believe there are those rare individuals such as Sylvia, or John Edwards, et cetera; who do possess a rare level of authentic paranormal abilties that isn't discovered/developed in most individuals--although certain individual's refusals to participate in James Randi's Million dollar challenge doesn't do them any justice.
With Sylvia Browne, specifically speaking, she is very unequivocal in her publicized readings towards all sorts of various individuals, whether in person on Montel or on the phone on Larry King Live. If it is all but a mere hoax--then two things would come to my mind; 1.)All of the people who participate in her readings are simply a bunch of actors hired to play along with her psuedo-psychic-antics. 2.)She is a consummate expert at guessing games and a skilled expert at decieving people, ad infinitum.

All things considered--I find the above two possibilties more hard to believe than the possibility that she is simply a genuine psychic.

Either way, I simply find her a very fascinating individual.

--------------------
Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love.

Edited by SkorpivoMusterion (05/21/04 02:44 PM)

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: sylvia browne [Re: SkorpivoMusterion]
    #2703167 - 05/19/04 08:48 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

ya, but the most likely answer is that she is a combination of all 3... As well as other famous pyschics and paranormal 'heroes'

very advanced with skills in psyc..
as well as really tuned into 'forces of the unknown'...
and also, relying on scams to gain heresay

I think any way it goes , a person should not use their abilities for money, and it does not surprise me that Cleo got sued for a hella lot because of all the clients she gave advice to(which they took literally) that turned out to be bad... If someone is psychic they should use their skills to better themselves and people around them... for free, and without scam

OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

Re: sylvia browne [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2704517 - 05/20/04 03:52 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

"I think any way it goes , a person should not use their abilities for money"

I agree to a point.I mean psychics have to eat and pay bills too.However I believe one should only accept as much money as one really needs and give the rest back to the universe by donating the excess to charities or helping people out with the excess money.Some people are in crisis (IE cant pay rent because of some unexpected costs they had to pay and are in threat of being evicted or some child cant afford shoes or even holy people who need money for food,shelter and etc. like the monks in tibet or the TNP) I personally give excess money back to the universe after I've taken what I need.

--------------------
"There is no fire like lust, no grip like hate, no net like delusions, no river like craving."

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: sylvia browne [Re: HypnoToad]
    #2705798 - 05/20/04 01:13 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

you dont give money back to the universe... money is an illusion and the only thing gained on a grand scale for that is the transfer of paper notes... Although I realize with these paper notes, kids can buy shoes and people can pay rent... but the point is, it is all material and there is no happiness except temporary via earthly items.

I am not sure if people should use their abilities for profit, unless they are in dire need... most of these 'psychics' popping up nowa days already have money and are looking to expand it fast...

If you got cherries bake a pie...
but if you got psychic, dont use your eye

(for personal gain)

Offlinesoylent_green
The greatEnitsuj
Female

Loc: Ontario
    #2706472 - 05/20/04 03:16 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i think she is the real deal to an extent..but i think that because she helps other people, only to profit for herself probably somewhat holds her ability back.

--------------------
What fun is it in Nirvana while other beings are suffering?

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: sylvia browne [Re: soylent_green]
    #2709661 - 05/21/04 01:29 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I wonder if she foresees her death from smoking too many cigarettes.

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #2740265 - 05/28/04 01:34 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

As you give no specifics, I will attempt to answer in the dark.

"Psychics" (there are no such people) operate on three main principles:

1. Most of us think we are very unique, when we are all very much alike in our dreams, desire, pains, loves; etc.

2. When throwing out a vague, open-ended statement, the "believer" will fill in the blanks.

3. The readee gives subtle and sometimes gross feedback to the "psychic".

Watch John Edward do a shotgun approach ("Someone over here has a relative with the initial "J" who passed on") then narrow it down. "I see they died of an upper-body injury." (Duh! No one dies from a big toe injury!) Then he watches which part of the body the loved ones clasp and continues until he gets a "hit". Without feedback, he can do nothing. This is called cold-reading and while he is good at it (as is any successful con-man) he is far from paranormally gifted.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (05/28/04 02:24 AM)

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: sylvia browne [Re: Swami]
    #2740310 - 05/28/04 02:09 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

soylent: it makes no sense, wouldn't her getting profit from her abilities (as opposed to getting no benifit, or detriment) help her do her thing even better?

swami: pointless, but since you felt like posting i will too, maybe you should watch some more john edwards and do your dissectional for each individual thing. blah blah blah, pointless.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Offlinejono
misc.
Loc: Sydney, Australia
    #2740339 - 05/28/04 02:22 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:
As you give no specifics, I will attempt to answer in the dark.

"Psychics" (there are no such people) operate on three main principles:

1. Most of us think we are very unique, when we are all very much alike in our dreams, desire, pains, loves; etc.

2. When throwing out a vague, open-ended statement, the "believer" will fill in the blanks.

3. The readee gives subtle and sometimes gross feedback to the "psychic".

Watch John Edward do a shotgun approach ("Someone over here has a relative with the initial "J" who pased on") then narrow it down. "I see they died of an upper body injury." (Duh! No one dies from a big toe injury!) Then he watches which part of the body the loved ones clasp and continues until he gets a "hit". Without feedback, he can do nothing. This is called cold-reading and while he is good at it (as is any successful con-man) he is far from paranormally gifted.

I agree with these sentiments. Im not going to completely rule out the possibility of psychics, and if it could be verified through an accurate method, repeated and studied, then I would accept its accucracy. But I do feel generally speaking that they operate by exploiting the powers of suggestion in people. Anyone who has studied the basics of hypnotherapy or hypnotherapeutic technique would be aware of the incredible power of suggestion on the mind of an individual, and for the hypnotherapist, it is said that half of his job is already done if the patient has a strong belief in their own ability to be hypnotised and confidence in the hypnotherapist. The similariities between 'mass hypnotherapy' and psychics such as the one to which this thread refers are starking in my opinion.

An open minded sceptic of psychics,

Jono.

--------------------
Our problem results from acting like cowboys on a limitless frontier when in truth we inhabit a living spaceship with a finely balanced life-support system." David C. Korton

Invisiblebert
bodhi

Loc: state
    #2740850 - 05/28/04 08:50 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Swami is right. I've watched about 10 episodes of John Edwards. He is not psychic at all. He is, however, extremely good at cold reading and an excellent showman as well as a master of manipulating the camera and audience to create a dramatic effect. There are many books out there on cold reading that can teach you to do exactly the same thing he does. Check it out, truekimbo. People fail to realize the power of suggestion and the fallibility of the human mind.

--------------------
Persons denying the existence of robots may be robots themselves.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: sylvia browne [Re: bert]
    #2741293 - 05/28/04 11:23 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

I've had the misfortune of watching the John Edwards show and he I can tell you the man is phonier than a three dollar bill. I don't find him to be an excellant showman at all- my working theory is that he is involved with the mafia and they intimidate the networks into keeping his show on the air. That is the only possible explanation I can come up with. I admit it's not a very good explanation, but I don't want to waste any precious candlepower on the fraud.

As for Sylvia Browne, I understand that Swami likes her (notice he did not mention her), so in deference to him I will not speak poorly of her or ask Swami to take down his Sylvia Browne centerfold poster.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: sylvia browne [Re: Jellric]
    #2741346 - 05/28/04 11:44 AM (19 years, 9 months ago)

ask Swami to take down his Sylvia Browne centerfold poster

*shudders and runs to the bathroom heaving his breakfast*

Thanks for that imagery, bro.  :mad2:

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2741390 - 05/28/04 12:01 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

:rotfl: I just knew you would love that.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Jump to top Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder