Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >
OfflineGrinchGrower
N00B
Male User Gallery

Re: New guy. Trouble navigating /coversall and agar [Re: ErnieErgot67]
    #27164496 - 01/22/21 09:02 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

For the record, most of my PF Tek half pint jars have rusty bottom edges from drilling holes with the lids on.
I even pulled them out today and attempted to clean them up with varying results. I think steel wool is needed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Loc: North eastern USA
    #27165556 - 01/23/21 02:28 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Maybe the bottom right hand corner this may be an exception.

--------------------
Can’t we all just get along???
Progress not perfection.
Don’t judge others because their flaws are different than yours

OfflineFungi Rogers
New Guy

#27165876 - 01/23/21 05:32 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ErnieErgot67 said:
Thank you. I guess that means spawning these to bulk is out of the question!? Unless it really is rust. Which I still haven’t ruled out.

Please have a look at these. Because of the condensation I don’t know what I’m looking at. I also don’t know what I’m looking at just because… I don’t know what I’m looking at! LOL. It’s the first time I’ve ever worked with agar. If I were to guess I would say everything growing in there is bacterial and not mycelium.

Stack your plates and put two more on top and the middle plates will clear up on the top

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Re: New guy. Trouble navigating /coversall and agar [Re: Fungi Rogers]
    #27170775 - 01/26/21 11:57 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Oh ok. Thanx for the tip.
I have a bad feeling about my wheat grain jars. I inoculated them on the 17th. So it’s been almost 9 full days. Within the first 48 hours they showed signs of colonization and they started off with a bang and it’s obviously where the LC initially came in contact with the grain. Well now they appear to have stalled out at this point. They are kept at the appropriate temp between 74-85. However up until a couple of days ago they were on the colder side but only for a few days during this cold snap that I am having here in New England. I see no signs of contaminant today. They have two holes drilled in the caps and are covered with micropore tape so they are getting gas exchange. The only thing I can think of is they weren’t hydrated enough however I soaked them for 24 hours. And the tek calls for boiling them for 10 minutes but because they didn’t appear hydrated at 10 minutes I went for a whole 30 checking them at 15, 20, 25 min. I finally pulled them at 30 minutes and there wasn’t even one burst grain. They still did not seem adequately hydrated enough at 30 minutes but I figured they had to be. And that would leave only one other reason why they could have stalled out... if they even did. It could just be genetics. Maybe they just slow down. Anyway I’m gonna pull up some pictures and maybe you can tell me. Maybe I just look at them too much! LOL but I drew marker on the glass to keep an eye and in 24 hours it didn’t move

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
    #27172552 - 01/27/21 09:23 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

give them another week. Sometimes they germinate and take a bit to set up and branch out. If you have no change in a week shake it, It'll either recover and be fine or it'll be dead.

You have a test plate for the lc before you put it into the grains?

OfflineMcMush
Stranger
Re: New guy. Trouble navigating [Re: LtLurker]
    #27173322 - 01/27/21 05:43 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Hey FAM!

I have recently just signed up in hunt around the Sydney, NSW region & am currently a lil lost with this all?

Blessings x

OfflineFungi Rogers
New Guy

Re: New guy. Trouble navigating [Re: McMush]
    #27173327 - 01/27/21 05:47 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

McMush said:
Hey FAM!

I have recently just signed up in hunt around the Sydney, NSW region & am currently a lil lost with this all?

Blessings x

Typically you don’t want to hijack people’s threads but seeing that were playing the waiting game for his jars to colonize all the way I’ll humor it a little.

Are you hunting them or growing them if hunting try the forum a couple down should be better suited for your interest

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Re: New guy. Trouble navigating [Re: Fungi Rogers]
    #27178743 - 01/31/21 12:29 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

@ LT Lurker&Fun Guy Rogers!!  Hey Felliz! How have you guys been?  Haven’t been on in a few. Anyway....That’s some funny shit! I thought I wa lost when I joined! Lol. Anyway. I ended up giving my grain jars a break n shake. Strangely enough one of them related to it immediately and the other four nothing. It was only two days ago...I think. I need to start writing more details down. I do write some dates but an ongoing journal would prove to be helpful down the road. I birthed my BRF CAKES TONIGHT AND I GOT THEM SOAKING AND IM ABOUT TO PASTURISE my CVG. I just remembered that I wanted to spawn to bulk and remembered that I don’t need to soak them if I’m doing that. I don’t think it’ll hurt them though...will it? Shit, they’ve been sitting in those jars for over three weeks they could probably use a little bit of water though they were pretty moist when I pulled them. I finally got to see what that smell was that everyone was talking about when cracking open their spawn. Ahhhhh, the fresh smell of mycelium/ mushrooms. I guess those red and orange rust spots I had weren’t anything but oxidation of the minerals in the verm. The other progress I’ve been making is I’ve got a dozen active Petrie dishes going. Some are 1st transfers, some are 1st cultures, some are LC innocs some are MSS inoccs! I. Progressing right along with my hands on self taught mycology....well with a lot of help from you guys!!:laugh:

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

OfflineFungi Rogers
New Guy

Re: New guy. Trouble navigating [Re: ErnieErgot67]
    #27178821 - 01/31/21 02:45 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Look at you bud doing great! Honestly I’ve been checking for this thread for your updates lol. If the 4 jars don’t recover then sadly they are lost. But hey you got one jar out of it. You could put it to a shoebox with 1:1.5-2 ratio and get some growth there. Nice job on the cakes. With the dunk it might not hurt them but you should probably avoid over misting them. Nice job on the agar work

Also hell open up a journal on here. A lot of people browse others journals lol

Edited by Fungi Rogers (01/31/21 04:06 PM)

Offlinekarri0n
Mind Traveller
Male User Gallery

#27179600 - 01/31/21 03:45 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Man I read this from the start and I gotta say this is some wholesome shit. This thread reminds me of The World's Fastest Indian with Anthony Hopkins. It's great to see your progress and obviously you figured out how to get photos up as well!

Next time get some closer and better lit pics of the jars and we might be able to tell ya if the grain is contaminated.

Usually if they recover after a shake they are good, but I've seen moldy spawn recover well that doesn't turn green until the tub is fully colonized.

Looking forward to seeing your tubs brother!

Quote:

ErnieErgot67 said:

The one on the upper right is definitely contaminated.

The white puffs on the others could be mycelium, but it's very hard to tell with all the condensation. If you stack the plates and set a hot glass of water on top, you may be able to clear the condensation.

--------------------

Panaeolus Bisporus

Edited by karri0n (01/31/21 05:04 PM)

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Re: New guy. Trouble navigating [Re: karri0n]
    #27179859 - 01/31/21 07:17 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

karri0n said:
Man I read this from the start and I gotta say this is some wholesome shit. This thread reminds me of The World's Fastest Indian with Anthony Hopkins. It's great to see your progress and obviously you figured out how to get photos up as well!

Next time get some closer and better lit pics of the jars and we might be able to tell ya if the grain is contaminated.

Usually if they recover after a shake they are good, but I've seen moldy spawn recover well that doesn't turn green until the tub is fully colonized.

Looking forward to seeing your tubs brother!

Quote:

ErnieErgot67 said:

The one on the upper right is definitely contaminated.

The white puffs on the others could be mycelium, but it's very hard to tell with all the condensation. If you stack the plates and set a hot glass of water on top, you may be able to clear the condensation.

Hey there, I’m flattered that you read the entire post. Yeah, I was a hot mess when I first got here...still am! Lol. I’m just an experienced hotness now. Anyway I took some newer pictures of my cultures. They were all mycelium  with the exception of one which I’m still not sure. I transferred them all and the PE‘s are all doing well but my BPSK (Thia variety) right now just looks fuzzy. The kind of fuzzy you see in the refrigerator when you left something in there too long. I’ll just have to keep an eye on  that for when it grows out a little more to see if there’s any strings in there...preferably ROPES! I got pics so let’s see if I can get them up for you after I post this book! Lol.
As far as my jars...there still stagnant with the exception of one. Very odd this new hobby of mine. Same grain, same jars, same inoculation time, same temperature, they all stalled at the same time, they all got shaken up at the same time, AND ONLY ONE JAR DECIDES TO KICK IT IN TO HIGH GEAR AGAIN!?!? If you guys ever saw the area that I have to pull this off in,  you would be beside yourself laughing and wondering how I’ve made it this far without every single component of this not getting contams along the way. Haha.
Anyway I birthed my cakes last night and when I realized that I was going to bulk I pulled them out of the soak and just kept’m  covered until today when I was ready and my substrate was ready and cool enough to work with. One of my many questions is..., the inside of the cakes were not white like the outside, however they were solid and compact. Is that normal? Hope so. It felt right. So, What I did was, I used a cheese grater and shredded them all into a pile and then used a measuring cup and separated the piles into four shoeboxes. Approximately 3 cups of shredded spawn per shoebox. I’m doing pretty much a one to one ratio probably 1 to 1.5.  BRF/CVG+(1/4-1/2 strength freshly brewed coffee.) (2.5quarts water 1qt coffee). Using a liner I mixed it all up in the SB’s giving me about 3 inches deep. I very lightly padded it...very lightly, leveled it, and I made sure it was in the corners and up against the edges well. When finished I put a quarter inch layer of casing on top. Level that. Lightly missed it. And put the covers on! (Clear covers) There are two different types of cubes. LGT’S and Burma’s. That’s one of the reasons why I had to keep them separate. I think I would’ve went with three shoeboxes if I didn’t have to. My second question is… Do I keep the colonization temperature the same for these as I did for the jars? Hence the title of my thread! Hard time navigating this forum!!!!! I searched this question out 15 different ways and worded it 15 different ways and got zero answers in regards to shoeboxes.  Using common sense I’m going to guess colonization is colonization. 80° colonizing jars 80° colonizing shoeboxes. The other thing about here is you get 10 different answers when you read 10 people’s post. As always I appreciate your comments in the guidance wouldn’t be this far without them. Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing from you and anybody else you would like to join in.  Oh! Almost forgot the pics of my agar! That’s the other reason why I have a hard time navigating this forum....IM FRICKEN SHOT! But mostly because it’s a Flippin maze!!! And I don’t understand abbreviations. Lol. But I do now. :eek::mushroom2::heart:

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

#27179879 - 01/31/21 07:43 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Meet Mrs Questionable Fuzzy

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

Offlinekarri0n
Mind Traveller
Male User Gallery

#27179902 - 01/31/21 07:58 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ErnieErgot67 said:
Meet Mrs Questionable Fuzzy

That growth looks really disorganized, like mold. But it coooooould possibly be tomentose myc as well. It is sometimes very hard to tell. If you look through the bottom of the plate does it look even a little bit rhizomorphic? Sometimes the cottony stuff looks that way but with light shining through you can see the strands.

Higher temps aren't necessary. Everything will grow faster at higher temps, but above 70, you are helping contam just as much as myc. above 75 you are helping contams more than myc, and above 85 isn't good for the myc at all but contams love it.

60 will give you a lot of trouble germinating spores, and jars will move slow as well. 65 is slower than 70 but safer if you aren't 900% certain of your anexic cultures and sterile technique.

In general, most people say for cubes just cult at the temp that you are comfortable at in your house. I heat my cult room a couple degrees higher because my house is 61 and stuff does go slow at that temp.

Higher temps will also tend to have more hollow stems and less dense fruits than lower temps. If you have the patience, cooler can be better.

--------------------

Panaeolus Bisporus

OfflineTWR
Stranger
    #27180896 - 02/01/21 12:01 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ErnieErgot67 said:
I have a hard time reading and following SOME directions on here without pictures or videos. A lot of things I read on here are described like they’re being described to somebody who already knows what they’re  doing. Some use words that I don’t know or abbreviations. The particular tech that the YouTube guy is using is the one that I would like to use.

Quote:

I have a hard time navigating through this forum. It’s like a maze

Quote:

I just want something that has easy clear cut directions with possibly some photos, easy to follow and that makes sense.

Quote:

It took a lot of hours of searching on hear and reading posts, watching videos on YouTube and IG. Watching the videos really helped me to connect the dots. Not that I will follow their sterile/clean procedures but it helped to connect the dots watching it get done and see what things look like.

Quote:

I still have a ton of questions. I have been looking on here for the past hour and can’t seem to find it. I don’t even know how to word it in the search engine....

Quote:

I still have trouble with abbreviations in directions.  I still have no clue how to use the search engine correctly and to it full potential.

Quote:

I was told to stay off of YouTube because the majority of their practices to say the least… Hacks! Well going on YouTube  help me out immensely because I was able to connect the dots by watching procedures. Trying to read directions on here without knowing even the vocabulary (especially the tons of abbreviations!!) made it hard to understand directions so by watching it helps to fill in the blanks. Also by watching YouTube it showed me what not to do. Instagram helped a lot because I can ask a question and get an answer immediately. Not for nothing but there are some pretty professional mycologists on Instagram. Because they show pictures of their labs and their results it’s pretty easy to distinguish between a hack and a pro.

Quote:

Hard time navigating this forum!!!!! I searched this question out 15 different ways and worded it 15 different ways and got zero answers in regards to shoeboxes. … The other thing about here is you get 10 different answers when you read 10 people’s post.

Quote:

Anyway I birthed my cakes last night

Quote:

As always I appreciate your comments in the guidance wouldn’t be this far without them. Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing from you and anybody else you would like to join in.  Oh! Almost forgot the pics of my agar! That’s the other reason why I have a hard time navigating this forum....IM FRICKEN SHOT! But mostly because it’s a Flippin maze!!! And I don’t understand abbreviations. Lol. But I do now. :eek::mushroom2:

This might be a little off-topic (and spammy) but I feel it’s appropriate here cause I’ve been thinking about this a lot recently. After rejoining this forum after years (~15 years) and trying to relearn things, I have to agree with many of OP’s sentiments. This community is extraordinarily thorough, while at the same time extraordinarily confusing. There's a universal formatting problem. There should probably be some standards and practices with regards to tutorials (“teks”), like encouraging easily understood steps with the least amount of abbreviations as possible. Because there are so many different ways to shop/plan/cultivate/harvest/consume (the best methods are still debated because this is still so niche), it’s extremely overwhelming knowing where to start… I think there needs to be an updated flowchart and maybe even a wiki detailing all the different methods (novice, intermediate, advanced categories), especially with decriminalization/legalization on the horizon, hopefully.

On top of all that, you can clearly sense a culture of secrecy and gatekeeping surrounding this knowledge. There's a tendency for experts to wave away newer methods which may or may not be seen as advanced enough or too lazy and a waste of time. You’d think there’d be a collective understanding that this is pretty counterproductive to the mission. Sadly I sometimes get the impression many fear legalization.

In my view, any proponent of legalization, universal mental healthcare, and science education should encourage teaching as many people as possible about the easiest ways possible to get involved. And if that means getting started with a couple bag of shitty rice, then it should be encouraged. Shouldn’t being able to manage with the least advanced and most readily available tools be a good thing? If you can learn this hobby with 1 packet of Uncle Ben’s, 1 coco coir brick, and 1 spore rig (legal spores included), that’s fucking awesome. That’s the key to legalization in my opinion. Once vegetables are growing freely in everyone’s backyard, the war is over. You could teach the Uncle Ben’s technique to a kindergarten class and maybe they should.

I also notice social media sites are widely considered a wash of shitty misinformation, which is bizarre considering how poorly traditional teks are written for today’s modern internet. YouTube tutorials (basically Martha Stewart-style cooking videos for dummies like myself) provide immense value. I don’t know how or why anyone could see this as a negative. It’s the only way to pass this knowledge onto the newer generations without losing it to potential censorship concerns. ~20 year old poorly written teks sometimes without even pictures are just plain outdated. For all we know this site and its archives may vanish one day, or certain strains may become eradicated with climate change, the more information sharing the better.

Hollywood and Silicon Valley tech companies not being too authoritarian with America’s weed culture probably contributed to legalization. There's a good chance cannabis wouldn't be legal today in many states if sites like YouTube, Reddit, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc. cracked down on this information in recent years. It was the normalization/fact-checking of long-standing demonetization and fearmongering that challenged the status quo's drug war. You guys should be spamming these modern social media sites with knowledge and responsible usage. Especially considering its long-wasted value for mental healthcare treatment. The community should take this opportunity (Oregon, California, Colorado, Michigan) to fuel a more open culture around it.

Anyways, it’s a pretty tall order for new hobbyists to go straight into agar and BRF jars so it’s impressive how well OP’s done especially considering how difficult navigating the internet can be for older folks. I look forward to seeing their results. And sorry for the spam, I just had to get this off my chest and this seemed like the perfect thread for it. Goodluck Ernie.

Offlinekarri0n
Mind Traveller
Male User Gallery

Re: New guy. Trouble navigating [Re: TWR]
    #27181213 - 02/01/21 03:30 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

TWR said:

This might be a little off-topic (and spammy) but I feel it’s appropriate here cause I’ve been thinking about this a lot recently. After rejoining this forum after years (~15 years) and trying to relearn things, I have to agree with many of OP’s sentiments. This community is extraordinarily thorough, while at the same time extraordinarily confusing. There's a universal formatting problem. There should probably be some standards and practices with regards to tutorials (“teks”), like encouraging easily understood steps with the least amount of abbreviations as possible. Because there are so many different ways to shop/plan/cultivate/harvest/consume (the best methods are still debated because this is still so niche), it’s extremely overwhelming knowing where to start… I think there needs to be an updated flowchart and maybe even a wiki detailing all the different methods (novice, intermediate, advanced categories), especially with decriminalization/legalization on the horizon, hopefully.

On top of all that, you can clearly sense a culture of secrecy and gatekeeping surrounding this knowledge. There's a tendency for experts to wave away newer methods which may or may not be seen as advanced enough or too lazy and a waste of time. You’d think there’d be a collective understanding that this is pretty counterproductive to the mission. Sadly I sometimes get the impression many fear legalization.

In my view, any proponent of legalization, universal mental healthcare, and science education should encourage teaching as many people as possible about the easiest ways possible to get involved. And if that means getting started with a couple bag of shitty rice, then it should be encouraged. Shouldn’t being able to manage with the least advanced and most readily available tools be a good thing? If you can learn this hobby with 1 packet of Uncle Ben’s, 1 coco coir brick, and 1 spore rig (legal spores included), that’s fucking awesome. That’s the key to legalization in my opinion. Once vegetables are growing freely in everyone’s backyard, the war is over. You could teach the Uncle Ben’s technique to a kindergarten class and maybe they should.

I also notice social media sites are widely considered a wash of shitty misinformation, which is bizarre considering how poorly traditional teks are written for today’s modern internet. YouTube tutorials (basically Martha Stewart-style cooking videos for dummies like myself) provide immense value. I don’t know how or why anyone could see this as a negative. It’s the only way to pass this knowledge onto the newer generations without losing it to potential censorship concerns. ~20 year old poorly written teks sometimes without even pictures are just plain outdated. For all we know this site and its archives may vanish one day, or certain strains may become eradicated with climate change, the more information sharing the better.

Hollywood and Silicon Valley tech companies not being too authoritarian with America’s weed culture probably contributed to legalization. There's a good chance cannabis wouldn't be legal today in many states if sites like YouTube, Reddit, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc. cracked down on this information in recent years. It was the normalization/fact-checking of long-standing demonetization and fearmongering that challenged the status quo's drug war. You guys should be spamming these modern social media sites with knowledge and responsible usage. Especially considering its long-wasted value for mental healthcare treatment. The community should take this opportunity (Oregon, California, Colorado, Michigan) to fuel a more open culture around it.

Anyways, it’s a pretty tall order for new hobbyists to go straight into agar and BRF jars so it’s impressive how well OP’s done especially considering how difficult navigating the internet can be for older folks. I look forward to seeing their results. And sorry for the spam, I just had to get this off my chest and this seemed like the perfect thread for it. Goodluck Ernie.

You're right that the site can be better organized. Luckily it's a public forum, so if you want to start laying that groundwork, I am sure many would contribute!

Or are you demanding someone else use their free time to fit your vision? 

There are certainly a lot of people who have already contribute their time and knowledge to do just that, such as bod's simplified cultivation methods, the AMU forum, the list of trusted teks, or the multiple threads on how to get started, flow chart, and more. For those who have trouble following those, well you can look to this thread to see how helpful the community is to newbies.

As far as making psychedelics legal, well, the people who actually run the world are already on that. It's why several states have made it legal already. The psychedelic industry has been fully bought by the Oil, diamond, gold, and natural gas mining companies, and they are already pushing the legislation to make it legal. Not a bunch of youtubers.

https://www.psymposia.com/magazine/mining-to-mushrooms-4-psychedelic-mining-extractive-industry-ties/

And no matter what, Uncle Ben's tek won't ever be a good idea. If we all just started using complete trash methods and said that this is perfectly acceptable rather than learning how and why certain things work and others do not, the entire culture library will be lost to a single contam.

--------------------

Panaeolus Bisporus

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

#27181847 - 02/01/21 09:40 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

I tried looking through the bottom and that disorganized culture and I could see some organized threadlike structures resembling rizomorphic growth. Then I went back and looked at the original culture that I transferred it from and it pretty much over took the petri dish. So I took a picture of it for you. Maybe you can make a better diagnosis of it now that it’s growing because I certainly can’t. My guess is it’s bacterial because it didn’t turn into any ropes at all and I don’t know if tomentose growth stays like that thru it growing phases or matures and changes like the rizomorphic growth.

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

#27181912 - 02/01/21 10:23 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Well I’ll tell you this. I have never felt such a feeling of validation in my life. LOL however I definitely agree with your reply to this gentleman’s observation of the Shroomery. There are a lot of detailed instructions on here accompanied with pictures and step-by-step’s however there’s also a lot of confliction and contradictions. The OG’s of this platform most certainly put in their time to lay things out in an organized fashion and I for one am very grateful. And I’m also grateful for the people who took the time to answer my questions and even come back to my OP and check on me. That there is the definition of selfless and kindness. But when I use the search engine and I type in light malt extract and dextrose recipe for liquid culture and nothing comes up there’s something wrong there! And in my travels through this crazy maze I have seen MANY new jacks ask a question and get pretty much shit on because it’s a basic question that’s been answered 1000 times. Instead of just answering the question they go on a rant on why they shouldn’t answer it and how there’s 1000 posts about it. Or they give a sarcastic answer like have you ever heard of a “search engine” took longer to write down their sarcastic reply and it did you just answer it. I probably say the most difficult thing about learning on here was the massive amount of abbreviations that are used in directions like LME, SGFC, FEA, CVG, LC, MSS, SHIP, GE, RH,SGED.... I’m sure if I thought about it I could name a bunch more but when I first got here these were frequently used and I had no idea what they were talking about so I couldn’t understand the sentence to understand the directions.
This all being said and I already said it, if it wasn’t for THE SHROOMERY’s great guys (you all know who you are) YouTube, Instagram, and now Discord with the Philly Golden Teachers spot on there I would not have gotten as far as I did and have 5 quart jars colonized...even though they stalled! LOL, I would not have gotten my PF cakes finished, birthed,  and spawn into a bulk substrate as we speak, I would not have 30 agar dishes poured (some nocked,some transfers, some virgins) and 3 jars of LC all in five weeks. I would not have been able to do any of that I was relying on the Shroomery alone. NO WAY!!
It was a combination. Maybe some other people can. This is just my experience and nobody is at fault. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed but I definitely have a lot of common sense and I’m far from stupid. When I was in college I was going to get my RN for those of you who don’t do well with abbreviations like me that’s stands for a registered nurse! LOL. I had better than a 4.0 grade average. I had the best grades in my class as a matter fact. I was a chef by trade for the longest time and ironically I’m on gardner now. With those skills under my belt you would think I could breeze through this hobby.
Thanx for the validation!

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

Offlinekarri0n
Mind Traveller
Male User Gallery

#27181920 - 02/01/21 10:29 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ErnieErgot67 said:
I tried looking through the bottom and that disorganized culture and I could see some organized threadlike structures resembling rizomorphic growth. Then I went back and looked at the original culture that I transferred it from and it pretty much over took the petri dish. So I took a picture of it for you. Maybe you can make a better diagnosis of it now that it’s growing because I certainly can’t. My guess is it’s bacterial because it didn’t turn into any ropes at all and I don’t know if tomentose growth stays like that thru it growing phases or matures and changes like the rizomorphic growth.

My eye isn't good enough to tell you, unfortunately. That could be mold mycelium, mushroom mycelium, or a mix of both. They can tangle together sometimes.

However, on the germination plates a lot of the times the reason you don't see any rhizomorphic growth is there are so many strains that have formed on the plate from how many spores germinated, that they are all crawling all over one another with microscopic rhizomes and no single one can be discerned from another. It's not until a transfer or two that you see the rhizomes and sectoring in these cases.

Also, some cultures of cube mycelium just don't turn very rhizomorphic at all. Even from the same spore syringe you can get a very tomentose culture and a very rhizo culture, and either one could perform better than the other. Usually, rhizomorphic is what we are looking for though.

So with all of that in mind... good luck!!! Heh :wow::wow::wow:

If you've got some other plates that are more obvious, maybe set the harder to tell ones aside for now and revisit as a side project down the road.

Quote:

ErnieErgot67 said:
With those skills under my belt you would think I could breeze through this hobby.

Kinda sounds like that's what you're doing, bud. Your first post was Dec 15 and you're probably gonna have fruits before 2 months is up.

--------------------

Panaeolus Bisporus

Edited by karri0n (02/01/21 10:33 PM)

OfflineFungi Rogers
New Guy

#27182011 - 02/01/21 11:19 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Pfft you’ve made more progress then a lot of older new people(if that makes sense?) lol. I’ve lurked for a while before I made an account and I’ve seen a lot of new people posting constant failures/questions and no matter how much they read or even watched they just never got it. Most times it was their sterile tek but they blamed it on other stuff.

But as karri0n said with mss you gotta kinda separate for some rhizo growth but then you could also isolate just the tomentose but there have also been some tests where depending on the nutrients in your agar you could force either of them. There are also some posts about both being just as good as the other lol

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

#27183143 - 02/02/21 03:48 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Hey guys, thanx for the kind words. I’ve got a question for ya’s. I spawned my BFR cakes yesterday and I put a 1/4 inch casing of coir. I just peaked at them and would you believe that I can already see colonization growing thru the top casing layer!?!?  Holy shit!!! Fricking excited!! Anyway there isn’t any condensation on the lid (it’s clear). Is there supposed to be? 
Also. I took some pics of the questionable culture. Well actually it’s the 1st transfer. What I did was I said it on top of a flashlight and took the picture and then I flipped it over and took a picture. Tell me what you think of this. And where should I go from here. Should I take another sample and make another transfer? Thanks for all your help guys and consistency and interest in my progress. It is very kind of you both.

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

Edited by ErnieErgot67 (02/02/21 03:51 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds