Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Perlite, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Loc: North eastern USA
Re: New guy. Trouble navigating [Re: fahtster]
    #27109620 - 12/26/20 09:34 PM (30 days, 17 hours ago)

Thank you. To make active agar do I inoculate it with my spore syringe that I have coming? I haven’t even opened that can of worms yet! Sheeesh!  My head is going to pop!

--------------------
Can’t we all just get along???
Progress not perfection.
Don’t judge others because their flaws are different than yours

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleIdiotCircusBoy
Human Person
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: New guy. Trouble navigating [Re: fahtster]
    #27109626 - 12/26/20 09:40 PM (30 days, 16 hours ago)

Check out RR's video series.  He's on here all the time and everybody is familiar with this series.

Let's Grow Mushrooms

--------------------
Just call me Idiot

"People hasten to judge in order not to be judged themselves."

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: New guy. Trouble navigating [Re: ErnieErgot67]
    #27109633 - 12/26/20 09:42 PM (30 days, 16 hours ago)

Lol, yea it is we. Even if it's not me, this site is good about helping newbs. But i do like helping new growers.

Those spores are your starting point either way. That's a win.

You can do a little of both here if you want. You can make some 1/2pint pf jars to inoculate directly with your syringe as your safe bet and leave some juice in the syringe. Your cakes can be spawned to bulk just like grains when they're done if you'd prefer(cuts out making cake chambers).

While the cakes are colonizing; Look into agar and start some plates growing with the remnants of that syringe if you can. This'll get you some practice with sterile technique. Plates will take some time to grow, transfer, grow, transfer(roughly 3x); so it gives you time to get a pc and grains to use in those quart jars for the final plate.
Crazy amount of agar references

Doing the Agar and grains will give you a big leg up in reliability and efficiency. It may seem overwhelming but taken step by step it's pretty simple. The brf jars will get you a simple path to harvest and spore prints for plenty of material to work with.

InvisibleIdiotCircusBoy
Human Person
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: New guy. Trouble navigating [Re: ErnieErgot67] * 1
    #27109653 - 12/26/20 09:51 PM (30 days, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

ErnieErgot67 said:
Thank you. To make active agar do I inoculate it with my spore syringe that I have coming? I haven’t even opened that can of worms yet! Sheeesh!  My head is going to pop!

To use agar you will either need to purchase pre-made dishes or you will need to use a PC(Pressure Cooker) to prepare it.  If you are making the agar you will need to pour the dishes in an SAB(Still Air Box).  Once the agar has solidified you will take just one drop from the syringe and do a streak on the plate.  Bellow are  links to BOD's video's.  If I were you I would follow the advice given and get a PF TEK grow under your belt.  These are all different tools for your tool belt.  PF TEK is a Tool, Sterile Work is a Tool, Agar is a Tool, Using a PC is a Tool.  Eventually you will have a full tool kit to do whatever you want but first learn one skill.  PF TEK is a perfect entry point for most people.  All of the other tools have little tools that go with them.

Bod's Easy AF Video Series

--------------------
Just call me Idiot

"People hasten to judge in order not to be judged themselves."

Edited by IdiotCircusBoy (12/26/20 09:53 PM)

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Re: New guy. Trouble navigating [Re: LtLurker]
    #27109673 - 12/26/20 10:05 PM (30 days, 16 hours ago)

Omg LT! I just looked at that whole tutorial with the cakes or whatever the frick they’re called. It is so complicated and there are so many steps it’s ridiculous! The pictures are so small I can’t even see what the Hells going on. Then on top of it it gives you another option to do it in these PP5 containers which I had no idea what they even were until I googled them. I would much prefer to use those but I can’t figure out how to use those either! I can’t even tell what they’re made out of. I have no clue how you would even seal them to steam them or pressure cook them! I think I would much prefer how do use agar. Then inoculate my 1 quart jars with the agar when it’s ready. and then add that to my Coco core and vermiculite, keep them at the correct temperature and hydrated and let them do their job. Now that’s something I think I can do.
The only problem here is I have no idea how to make the agar and inoculated! I’d like to scream right now. God I’m so frustrated. There’s got to be a easier way to watch this and learn it. Between reading it and trying to figure out what they’re trying to tell me and then looking at these small pictures, it just makes me so unsure.

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27109681 - 12/26/20 10:10 PM (30 days, 16 hours ago)

Haha.. didn’t realize I already posted those links.

Edited by fahtster (12/26/20 10:16 PM)

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

Re: New guy. Trouble navigating [Re: IdiotCircusBoy]
    #27109700 - 12/26/20 10:20 PM (30 days, 16 hours ago)

Thank you and I agree with what your saying about the “tools” like building blocks. However that PF-Tek seems like the most complicated one of them all. A lot of frickikg steps. Peeling and rolling and dunking and birthing! WTF!?
How about let’s  grow some mycelium, plant it, keep it warm, and moist, and grow a fricking garden! Lol. That’s not complicated! Lol.

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#27109702 - 12/26/20 10:21 PM (30 days, 16 hours ago)

If you can't see then click the picture it expands, and then there's a symbol in corner that expands even more. It's just measuring and mixing mostly.

PP5 is a type of plastic. You know the little triangle with a number in it on the bottom of plastics? You're looking for a 5, which is most food containers in a grocery store. You just make top holes like a brf jar, cover with foil, and pc. I prefer little jars but it's not like the plastic will melt in a pot or pc, pp5 are tough.

At some point you just have to try and write what you did. If you make a mistake in a step someone will let you know and you can fix it.

Birthing is just taking it out of the jar. Dunking is just soaking in water for half a day IF you do a cake chamber. If you do bulk, just birth and shred to coir. It's not big steps, it's a lot of detail on small simple parts.

Edited by LtLurker (12/26/20 10:30 PM)

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

#27109734 - 12/26/20 10:45 PM (30 days, 15 hours ago)

Ok. Thanks. I think I like the PP5 because they’re bigger/wider and it will give them room to grow. Plus I can lay them all flat in a tub Instead of having all these jars.
But one last question because my little 53 year old fried out brain can’t handle any more information for the night. LOL can I just buy any old premade agar petri dishes on line from Amazon or wherever? Do they have to be a certain type of agar? Like food quality or something. I’m not sure of the technical word? Thanks for all your help tonight. You were a very big help and I appreciate it more than you know. I just figure I will order of the ego ASAP so as soon as I get my sports syringes I can inoculate them and get them on standby. I’m guessing the more of those I have ready the more chances I give myself of growing if I screw one up!

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

#27110684 - 12/27/20 03:11 PM (29 days, 23 hours ago)

Hey there LT!:smile: Last night my head was spinning with information. So today I read up and looked at the links again on the PF TEK. It’s not as difficult as it seemed last night! Lol. I can handle it. I don’t know why I got so discouraged last night. Well, I do...I was just overwhelmed!
I’ve got three questions for you though. #1. Do I need to make a SGFC or can I just use a monotub or two?  #2. In your directions and suggestions about me making the Agar you said something about  (grow,transfer, grow, transfer, roughly 3 times)  I’m not sure what your talking about?? Don’t I just squirt some spore culture into the Petri dishes and let it grow? Or are you telling me to do it several times so I have more to work with out of the same spore syringe, liquid culture, spore culture or what ever it’s called. I’m not sure if they’re all the same thing or all different. And #3. Should I buy some brown rice flour or can I really just grind up the BR with my Ninja? Which do you suggest?
Anyway, besides that I think I’m all set to try it. I just need to go by a PC, some perlite and a different size stirelitte tub (cuz I’m changing my fruiting chamber Tek and some smaller jars or some PP5’s
BTW...what time zone are you in? I’m on the east coast. I only ask for communication purpose. Thanx for all your advice and help.

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#27110725 - 12/27/20 03:47 PM (29 days, 22 hours ago)

Yea i figured that's what was going on, no big deal.

1) You don't have to. There's alternative chambers for cakes like the humidity chamber. You can also break up colonized cakes and mix with coir to run it like a regular mono or unmodded tub.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26009662/page/1

2) After you inoc a plate, you let it grow about half way and transfer a piece of clean edge onto a new plate(called T1 for transfer one). Then you let the new plate grow to about half and repeat(T2). Usually around T3 is the plate you'll actually inoc jars with. This is to clean your culture and leave any nasties behind. The initial plate you hit the syringe with is probably going to have some bacteria or something along with the myc, and the goal of agar is to have only clean mycelium going into your jars.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18430998

3) You can do either. I buy bags of whole brown rice and blend them in my oster blender. It's cheaper than buying it in flour form and doesn't take much time really.

Edited by LtLurker (12/27/20 03:49 PM)

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

#27110733 - 12/27/20 03:53 PM (29 days, 22 hours ago)

Thank you. And I figured it out. I have been sitting here at the kitchen table for five hours now reading nonstop. I figured out the purpose of the transferred three times. So can I just buy some premade petri dishes online? And what type do I buy? And they need to be a specific type of agar?
And also once those half pint jars are fully colonized I can break those up and mix those into the coir substrate? Here we go with the new tech! LOL now I have to learn that ratio

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

OfflineBig_Dub
confused
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #27110737 - 12/27/20 03:57 PM (29 days, 22 hours ago)

--------------------
Don't forget to take prints! :smile:

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#27110753 - 12/27/20 04:06 PM (29 days, 22 hours ago)

You can take it one step at a time. Focus on making cakes and getting them started, you'll have a few weeks to read and prep for how you prefer to fruit them. I'm just trying to show there's multiple options.

Agar has a lot of options. Premade isn't really recommended, but they can work as a starting point. Making your own after buying sterile empty dishes or some pp5 containers is cheaper in the long run.

I know it's like i'm throwing a lot of teks at you, but they're already written out in so much more detail than i can explain in a post. The massive agar guide i gave you last night has Bod's comprehensive agar tek which walks you through materials, making it, and a few more details. Another great tek in there is No pour Pasty Plates, using pp5 containers to make and sterilize agar in so you don't have to get plates right away(but most prefer plates given the choice).

I really don't want to over whelm you. If it's too much trying to digest all this at once, there's nothing wrong with just doing cakes for a while until you have it down and want to learn more. I spent months just doing cakes before i moved on to other techniques.

Edited by LtLurker (12/27/20 04:12 PM)

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

#27111795 - 12/28/20 10:00 AM (29 days, 4 hours ago)

Good morning, you are so right. I need to slow down. I’m in recovery. It’s the old addict behavior. I want what I want when I want it which is yesterday. It’s all or nothing! Everything has to be perfect...do it right and get it right the first time of don’t do it at all. I’m gonna PM you. Thanx for your patience, help, and understanding:)

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#27111866 - 12/28/20 10:58 AM (29 days, 3 hours ago)

There's no need to pm me. just keep it in threads so you get faster answers and people can correct me or add their opinions.

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

#27114774 - 12/29/20 09:06 PM (27 days, 17 hours ago)

Really? It was something personal. I didn’t want it on a public forum. If you had read it you might have understood.
Ok next question then. I could not find a single lightbulb, fluorescent style that was between 5000 and 7000 Kelvin. As a matter fact very few lights posted what the kelvin measurement even was. I went to Walmart, I went to Home Depot, I went to Lowe’s, so I did the legwork. I would very much Appreciate it if somebody could tell me a brand-name light bulb wattage, voltage and all that good jazz so I can just go buy the damn thing. Please and thank you. It’s only going to be enough to light up a 4 x 4 area. In a tub obviously:)

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

OfflineErnieErgot67
Apprentice
Male User Gallery

#27114795 - 12/29/20 09:14 PM (27 days, 17 hours ago)

I’ve been to Two different Walmart’s looking for a old schoool PC. NO LUCK! The only type they had was the electric ones and they were too small. In believable. I have never set my mind out to do something with such perseverance  and run into so many brick walls! My lord! If it isn’t no vermiculite, it’s no perlite, if it isn’t the right size canning jars it’s the tubs...now the bulbs and the PC. However, I will do this and I will get good at it. It might take me two years but I’ll get it.
NOW!!!!! My spores that I ordered with warmers in the shipping box with plenty of time to make it is now being delayed because of the volume of packages over the holidays and by the time it gets to me the warmers will have run out of warmth and my spore syringe is going to freeze! This literally makes me want to cry.

--------------------
Progress not perfection.

OnlineDoctor MarioS
🍄🍄🍄🍄🍄
Male

Loc: 🇺🇸
    #27115000 - 12/29/20 11:29 PM (27 days, 15 hours ago)

Theres a lot of good teks in my signature. Check em out. Its a good idea to read and research everything you can before diving in. Doing so will reduce your chances of failure and becoming discouraged. Some of the best advice I can give you is to stay away from reddit and youtube. Theres some good stuff out there its just buried underneath all of the misinformation. Your best friend here will be the search engine. Good luck.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Re: New guy. Trouble navigating [Re: Doctor Mario]
    #27115697 - 12/30/20 10:20 AM (27 days, 4 hours ago)

Bulbs have the rating on them, i believe it's warmth. IDK specifics only had to buy 2 and remember the label telling me.

PC's can be bought online if you can't find a large enough one at a store. Used pc's on ebay are usually a good deal.

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Perlite, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started