Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Mushroom Spores and Hydrogen Peroxide
    #27088772 - 12/14/20 12:24 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

So I want to experiment with cleansing/disinfecting mushroom spores using topical-grade hydrogen peroxide straight from the bottle.

Anyone try this? Will the spores survive?

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHikeadellic
Fungi Fan
Male

Loc: Appalachian Trail
Re: Mushroom Spores and Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #27088778 - 12/14/20 12:27 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

They probably will survive, I've heard stories of fishermen adding peroxide to the bait fish livewell to keep them alive longer. This works because peroxide which is H202 breaks down over time into normal H20. I don't think the spores would mind too much

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mushroom Spores and Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: Hikeadellic]
    #27088786 - 12/14/20 12:31 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Eggcellent :awehigh:

OfflineKmacmo
The aborted pin
Other

Loc: Central hemisphere
Re: Mushroom Spores and Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: Hikeadellic]
    #27088787 - 12/14/20 12:32 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Very interesting, this could eliminate the need for agar to some extent. Just knock up some grains with your clean spores
I hope this might work

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mushroom Spores and Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: Kmacmo]
    #27088800 - 12/14/20 12:40 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Im going to attempt an experiment soon and see if this works.

InvisibleVinci
I'm You
 User Gallery

#27090557 - 12/15/20 01:35 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

You could dip a swab in it before picking up spores to streak

--------------------
Vinci luh you

Invisibleshroower
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Mushroom Spores and Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: Vinci] * 3
    #27091349 - 12/15/20 10:56 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

If it's good enough to kill every other contaminant spore then it's good enough to kill your spores, so it's not useful -- assume I'm trying to grow P. cyanescens and at that moment P. cubensis spores are the contamination. Otherwise, if it's not good enough then we're done ∎.

OfflineEarthwormJim
No stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: With Lucy and the diamonds Flag
Re: Mushroom Spores and Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: shroower]
    #27120801 - 01/01/21 05:20 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Everything I've read on using peroxide says it will kill spores, but won't harm mature mycelium which makes it great for cloning but bad for germination. I don't know  about adding it to your grains but I've heard of it being used in agar and mixed into substrate with mixed results. Its semi effective which is why you don't hear about it much anymore. Search "peroxide tek". You'll see what I mean:2cents:

--------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup:pipesmoke2:
Everything I post is a figment of someone's imagination. Maybe yours. Maybe mine. Likely both:om:

I see shrooms of blue
In tubs of white
That will keep me tripping
All through the night
And I think to myself
What a wonderful world:trippinbawelz:

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mushroom Spores and Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #27124467 - 01/03/21 06:18 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

An Update:

I have good news and bad news.

The Good News is no infectious containments grew in any of the 9 jars I inoculated! Also, I actually had some spore germination!

The Bad News is only 2 jars germinated their spores and only on one inoculation point. So out of a total of 36 inoculation points, only 2 were successful. Thats a 5% germination rate.

Jar #1:

Jar#2:

Backside of Jar #1:

Backside of Jar #2:

1 of 7 Jars with Zero-growth (sterile):

Peroxide I used:

This experiment was done using non-diluted 3% H2O2 straight from that Hydrogen Peroxide spray bottle which was the water-solution used for the spore syringe.

Due of my partial success, my next experiment will consist of diluting the 3% H2O2 to 1.5% concentration by adding bottled distilled water at 50% by volume  and see if I can get better germination rate without any infectious contaminate germination :awesome::thumbup:

OfflineCyonic
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27125097 - 01/04/21 01:31 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Don't dilute the auction at this point. What you want to do now is culture the mycelium that you got from the germination.

Once you fruit it collect spores from all the fruits.

Use those spores to mix with h2o2 at the  same dilution rate if 3% peroxide.

Eventually you might breed peroxide resistant spores.that would be better than diluting the H2o2 to get better germination.

If you dilute to get better germination you will probably get better germination of all the contaminations too.

So try to get a strain that is resistant to peroxide at levels that it is deadly to  the competition.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mushroom Spores and Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: Cyonic]
    #27126509 - 01/04/21 04:09 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

One Hell of a post!

A H2O2-resistent strain is a great idea :strokebeard:

I am still going to test the limits of the H2O2 as I want to see what the minimal I can use with effective results.

Offlineanatomality
Nothern Counterpart
I'm a teapot

Loc: North East
    #27126517 - 01/04/21 04:13 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

This is amazing. I'll be watching this.

--------------------
“The strength of a person's spirit would then be measured by how much 'truth' he could tolerate, or more precisely, to what extent he needs to have it diluted, disguised, sweetened, muted, falsified.”

Offlinepantari
Stranger
Re: Mushroom Spores and Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: anatomality]
    #27127821 - 01/05/21 09:30 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Now, I am by no means an expert in this field, but the antispetic effect of H2O2 is based on its ability to oxidize organic matter and I doubt that mushrooms can develop immunity against that.
But maybe it is worth a try.

I have read though, that the actual idea is, that 0.3% H2O2 will kill Bacteria and spores, but not mycelium. 3% should actually kill mycelium too.

Offlineanatomality
Nothern Counterpart
I'm a teapot

Re: Mushroom Spores and Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: pantari]
    #27127831 - 01/05/21 09:39 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

pantari said:
Now, I am by no means an expert in this field, but the antispetic effect of H2O2 is based on its ability to oxidize organic matter and I doubt that mushrooms can develop immunity against that.
But maybe it is worth a try.

I have read though, that the actual idea is, that 0.3% H2O2 will kill Bacteria and spores, but not mycelium. 3% should actually kill mycelium too.

That makes sense.

--------------------
“The strength of a person's spirit would then be measured by how much 'truth' he could tolerate, or more precisely, to what extent he needs to have it diluted, disguised, sweetened, muted, falsified.”

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mushroom Spores and Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: pantari] * 1
    #27132168 - 01/07/21 04:03 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Excellent stuff! :takingnotes:

So today, I inoculated 8 PF jars today.

My procedure:

Poured 3% H2O2 into a deep-dish petri dish. Uptook 6mL of H2O2 into a clean, unused syringe. Next, I uptook clean water from a brand new, unopened Nestle water bottle to 12mL to create a 1.5% H202-water concentration. Then I scraped about a quarter of a cubenis spore print into a separate clean deep-dish petri dish. Next, I released the diluted 1.5% H2O2-water solution into the petri dish with the spores in it. I tilted/rocked the petri dish back and forth to mix the spores. The spores did not mix very well, they sorta floated on the surface, so that was a bit of an issue. Ive read that a drop of Jet Dry can help with preventing spore clumping.

After this step, I shook the spore syringe really well in a back-in-forth manner. Then I injected 4 jars with the syringe.

I repeated this step for another syringe as I put about 1mL per each jar injection point. However, I made a mistake at one point. While I uptook the 3% H2O2, I noticed quite a bit of spores were stuck inside the syringe on the tip I believe. So the spores were sitting in 3% H2O2 for a short about of time. Hopefully I didnt kill the spores during this part. I quickly uptook distilled water from the same water bottle to the 12mL mark. As a "fail safe", I added more spores to the petri mixing dish, released the spore solution into the spore mixing dish, rocked it back-and-forth then uptook the solution again into the spore syringe and shook the syringe back-and-forth.

Next attempt, I am going to use two separate syringes to prevent this possible issue from happening again. I then injected about 1mL of solution per injection hole of the last 4 PF jars.

I will update with some pictures later :thumbup:

Improvements for next time: Use a drop of Jet Dry to prevent spore clumping. Use two syringes for mixing the H2O2, one syringe just for uptaking H2O2 and another syringe for uptaking the mixed diluted 1.5% H2O2/Jet Dry/spore solution.

Offlineanatomality
Nothern Counterpart
I'm a teapot

#27132229 - 01/07/21 05:46 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I did a small amount of poking around. Since the oxidation process is a timed dependant exposure process, and since there are many many many more mushroom spores vs contaminants.
Maybe it would make sense to do a 'wash'? Like 1 minute with 50% peroxide, then add a bunch of water to inactivate the peroxide.
My idea here is that you kill maybe 50% of all spores (desirable or not). But since there is only a small amount of contaminant, you end up with a clean culture.

Maybe I'll try it out.

From this website I got this : https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/disinfection/disinfection-methods/chemical.html

Quote:

Mode of Action.
Hydrogen peroxide works by producing destructive hydroxyl free radicals that can attack membrane lipids, DNA, and other essential cell components. Catalase, produced by aerobic organisms and facultative anaerobes that possess cytochrome systems, can protect cells from metabolically produced hydrogen peroxide by degrading hydrogen peroxide to water and oxygen. This defense is overwhelmed by the concentrations used for disinfection 653, 654.

Top of Page

Microbicidal Activity.
Hydrogen peroxide is active against a wide range of microorganisms, including bacteria, yeasts, fungi, viruses, and spores 78, 654. A 0.5% accelerated hydrogen peroxide demonstrated bactericidal and virucidal activity in 1 minute and mycobactericidal and fungicidal activity in 5 minutes 656. Bactericidal effectiveness and stability of hydrogen peroxide in urine has been demonstrated against a variety of health-care–associated pathogens; organisms with high cellular catalase activity (e.g., S. aureus, S. marcescens, and Proteus mirabilis) required 30–60 minutes of exposure to 0.6% hydrogen peroxide for a 108 reduction in cell counts, whereas organisms with lower catalase activity (e.g., E. coli, Streptococcus species, and Pseudomonas species) required only 15 minutes’ exposure 657. In an investigation of 3%, 10%, and 15% hydrogen peroxide for reducing spacecraft bacterial populations, a complete kill of 106 spores (i.e., Bacillus species) occurred with a 10% concentration and a 60-minute exposure time. A 3% concentration for 150 minutes killed 106 spores in six of seven exposure trials 658. A 10% hydrogen peroxide solution resulted in a 103 decrease in B. atrophaeus spores, and a ≥105 decrease when tested against 13 other pathogens in 30 minutes at 20°C 659, 660. A 3.0% hydrogen peroxide solution was ineffective against VRE after 3 and 10 minutes exposure times 661 and caused only a 2-log10 reduction in the number of Acanthamoeba cysts in approximately 2 hours 662. A 7% stabilized hydrogen peroxide proved to be sporicidal (6 hours of exposure), mycobactericidal (20 minutes), fungicidal (5 minutes) at full strength, virucidal (5 minutes) and bactericidal (3 minutes) at a 1:16 dilution when a quantitative carrier test was used 655. The 7% solution of hydrogen peroxide, tested after 14 days of stress (in the form of germ-loaded carriers and respiratory therapy equipment), was sporicidal (>7 log10 reduction in 6 hours), mycobactericidal (>6.5 log10 reduction in 25 minutes), fungicidal (>5 log10 reduction in 20 minutes), bactericidal (>6 log10 reduction in 5 minutes) and virucidal (5 log10 reduction in 5 minutes) 663. Synergistic sporicidal effects were observed when spores were exposed to a combination of hydrogen peroxide (5.9%–23.6%) and peracetic acid 664. Other studies demonstrated the antiviral activity of hydrogen peroxide against rhinovirus 665. The time required for inactivating three serotypes of rhinovirus using a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution was 6–8 minutes; this time increased with decreasing concentrations (18-20 minutes at 1.5%, 50–60 minutes at 0.75%).

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mushroom Spores and Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: anatomality] * 1
    #27133053 - 01/07/21 02:00 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Ouuu! Excellent idea! Neutralize the H2O2 after a given amount of time :strokebeard:

Oh, and I just ordered a 2000x Microscope from the interwebz. Super excited to see whats going on at the microscopic level :awesome:

InvisibleEZPZyaBZ
J u s t V i s i t i n g

#27154173 - 01/17/21 08:08 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Which microscope did you get? Link?

Also, what specs are you after when microscope shopping for this hobby?

OfflineCyonic
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom Spores and Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: EZPZyaBZ]
    #27179504 - 01/31/21 02:28 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

EZPZyaBZ said:
Which microscope did you get? Link?

Also, what specs are you after when microscope shopping for this hobby?

What you look for in a microscope depends on what your interest in microscopy is. You should talk to customer support and have them walk you through it.

A good student microscope such as the company Swift is known for producing is probably good enough. You can use different light filters to give you a variety of viewing options other than regular brightfield.

Quite a few microscopes boast of , and come equiped with high powered magnification like 2000×-2500× magnification which is cool but don't be fooled by this promise.

You probably won't be doing much viewing beyond 800× magnification.

The views between 100×-800× are the best.

1000× requires the added hassle of oil immersion, which also means cleaning up your objective lens.

But mostly, because of the physics of the property of light you can't really get much more detailed an image thann 1000x mag.

Think about taking a pic with your phone; the image is captured, let's call that image 1000×mag. Using your phone you can zoom in on the captured image in the pic, and sometimes that IS helpful, but in zooming in you do not bring more details into the image, it just makes the details that are captured larger. If you zoom in too much it actually becomes harder to see.

The same thing is the case with viewing at magnifications greater than 1000×; all 2000× will do is double the size of the 1000× image without focusing on on more details.

Again, that can be useful, but don't get your hopes up. The reason is, is that light waves can't be bent by, and do not reflect any object that is smaller than half of a lightwave's wavelength. So magnifying beyond 1000× will not produce greater detail it will only enlarge the details viewed at 1000×.

Interesting to note, that because of this phenomenon individual atoms literally are invisible when viewed with regular light. They are not just microscopic, they are actually invisable. There are an entirely different type of microscope that uses electrons instead of regular light. Electrons have a wavelength that is 100,000× shorter than a wavelength of light, and so they produce images with 100,000× the detail, and can focus in on on specimens and details 100,000× smaller than can a compound light microscope, but light microscopy is far more affordable and practical. Electron microscopes prices start above $10,000.00 and keep going up. You can get a good compound light microscope for $250.00

Most standard eye pieces for compound microscopes are 10× magnification. The objective lenses that are just above the stage where the specimen is range from 4×-100×, so when you view through 10× eye pieces you get an image that ranges from 40×-1000×. The way you can see at 2000× is by switching out the 10× eye pieces with 20× eye pieces wich make those same objective lenses produce images that range from 80×-2000×. Likewise if you got some 30× eyepieces your same objective lenses would then produce a range of magnifications from 120×-3000×

When viewing bacteria they are so small and tiny that even at 800× mag the don't look like anything more than just a tiny pill shaped thing wiggling around. Being able to view at 3000× mag would not allow you to view them in any greater detail, but might make them more visible by making the image itself 3×s larger. Anything else at 3000× mag would be so obscured it would probably be too large and blurred to make anything out.

Edited by Cyonic (01/31/21 02:33 PM)

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mushroom Spores and Hydrogen Peroxide [Re: EZPZyaBZ]
    #27203895 - 02/13/21 03:20 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

This is the Scope I got. I finally opened it up today:

Amscope binocular microscope with 3D-stage. Model SME-F8BH.

I was basically looking for the most powerful scope I could find for my budget of $300. It also comes with a video camera to take photos/videos via a computer.

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth 🌎🌍🌏                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | 💧 Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method 💧 | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder