Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinealland
Stranger
Male

Agar dish ride-along
    #27084092 - 12/11/20 04:40 PM (2 months, 22 days ago)

I've got this new intruder in several of my dishes.  Basically all of the recent dishes I've done transfers to of three different strains develop this patchy haze over them.  Has anyone else seen this?

The infected dishes are close to two weeks old and this is about as far as it has progressed.  It does rise up off the surface of the agar, but hasn't developed any color, fuzz or texture other than non-glossy.  And myc won't grow into it.. it just stops at the edge.

It starts in random places around the dish inconsistent with placement of the transfers.  I'm down to thinking it is either a ride-along or a tainted set of dishes.  When I did transfers trying to isolate, I snagged a tiny strand of raised tomentose growth with a hooked-tip needle being careful not to touch anywhere near the haze.

For my most recent dish batch, I opened a new pack of dishes, disinfected some w alcohol and used some straight out of the pack.  That new set is 48hrs old now and I haven't seen the growth in them yet but I think it took several days to show up in the older batch of dishes.  I did set some aside to observe to see if it's something I'm doing in my dish prep process. Hopefully I should have that ruled out [or not] in a few days.

I've also completely gone through my SAB with disinfectant, alcohol and h2o2, gotten a new set of Tyvek sleeves.  I definitely need to get it eliminated before spawning anything with it in there.  It could be completely benign but I'm not willing to test that theory.

--------------------
Always learning.. always growing.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: Agar dish ride-along [Re: alland] * 1
    #27085210 - 12/12/20 10:10 AM (2 months, 21 days ago)

It's bacteria.

Quote:

For my most recent dish batch, I opened a new pack of dishes, disinfected some w alcohol

No! Dishes come sterilized. Wiping them with alcohol just makes them dirty. Alcohol doesn't sterilize, only sanitize. Fixing that and practicing sterile tek will prevent your problem.

Quote:

I've also completely gone through my SAB with disinfectant, alcohol and h2o2

You should only need alcohol. H2O2 & "disinfectant" aren't used.

Quote:

I snagged a tiny strand of raised tomentose growth with a hooked-tip needle being careful not to touch anywhere near the haze.

You're in the ballpark with this one. The tricky part is that bacteria is going to be under your myc as well. An alternative you could try as well is to use a sterile swab across the top of the myc, then swipe that to a dish. A swab should pick up some bits of myc without requiring cuts into the bacteria.

Edited by LtLurker (12/12/20 10:14 AM)

Offlinealland
Stranger
Male

Re: Agar dish ride-along [Re: LtLurker]
    #27086396 - 12/12/20 10:18 PM (2 months, 21 days ago)

Quote:

LtLurker said:
It's bacteria.

An alternative you could try as well is to use a sterile swab across the top of the myc, then swipe that to a dish. A swab should pick up some bits of myc without requiring cuts into the bacteria.

Awesome.. thanks!  I did go back and look at the listing that I purchased my dishes under and it didn't actually say "sterile" in the listing.  In fact, it said something about "party favors".  Yeah, I'm feeling like a real genius right about now.  The dishes being contam'd would certainly explain why they're literally all infected too; even the ones I'm germinating spores on.  I did grab another 20pk that did say sterile in the description.

I'm definitely going to give the alcohol swab thing a try to try and get a clean xfer.  Thanks again!

--------------------
Always learning.. always growing.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: Agar dish ride-along [Re: alland]
    #27086426 - 12/12/20 10:54 PM (2 months, 21 days ago)

party favors? i don't think i've seen that before lol. i can see why you wiped them down. Usually sterile ones will come in a sealed pack. I like to wipe down the bags exterior, but open them in the sab so they're sterile when I add the agar and wrap.

I didn't mean an alcohol swab, I meant a sterile swab. You can pc a qtip wrapped in foil to make'em. very easy.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started