Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Injection Ports, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNorris33
Stranger
Harvesting culture from fruiting shrooms ?
    #27083186 - 12/11/20 12:51 AM (2 months, 23 days ago)

Gday
I’m a Newby to growing and still waiting on a spore print in the mail to get started.
Though a mate of mine ( also fairly new) has some mycelium that is just starting to fruit.
He said I can take a culture from his box to get me started ?
Is this possible or is it just basically taking some of his shrooms from him.
Iv researched agar and confident I can make it if it’s part of the plan.
Any help would be fab
Tia

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrinchGrower
N00B
Male User Gallery

Re: Harvesting culture from fruiting shrooms ? [Re: Norris33]
    #27083217 - 12/11/20 01:18 AM (2 months, 23 days ago)

I'd wait for fresh fruits (actual mushrooms) to grow, then clone one to agar using sterile technique in a SAB or in front of a flow hood.

OfflineNorris33
Stranger
Re: Harvesting culture from fruiting shrooms ? [Re: GrinchGrower]
    #27083229 - 12/11/20 01:30 AM (2 months, 23 days ago)

Thanks for that.
So I should instead just do some research on cloning ?

OfflineGrinchGrower
N00B
Male User Gallery

#27083280 - 12/11/20 02:16 AM (2 months, 23 days ago)

I just pieced together some of RR's notes on it from this master thread: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/8468503#8468503

Quote:

dumbfounded1600 said:
PART 1 OF 5 LC/AGAR/CLONING/STERILE PROCEDURE/HELP/PROBLEMS/OTHER

LC/AGAR/CLONING/STERILE PROCEDURE/HELP/PROBLEMS/OTHER
"Smaller fruits have more active product per gram than larger ones, so try to produce larger flushes of smaller fruits. When cloning, select a young, rapidly growing fruit for best results. You want a fruit that is rapidly dividing cells, so it will take off quickly on agar. I prefer to clone from clusters, because they'll tend to produce clusters on future flushes, giving the volume desired, but with smaller and more desirable fruits. CLONING

*Just so you take the tissue from the center of the stem after tearing it open with your hands. Use a flame sterilized blade. You can probably skip the alcohol. The air inside the bag should be still. I do similar when cloning wild mushrooms on backpacking trips. I take several petri dishes sealed up in a baggie, a clear trash bag to use as a glovebox, and a scalpel and alcohol torch. The scalpel is flamed outside the bag, then stuck in while still hot. When it cools, the clone is taken. Don't forget to wear latex gloves. CLONING TEK

*You can pour iodine over the stem to kill live bacteria on it, but it's really not necessary if you rip the stem lengthwise first to expose tissue that has never previously been exposed to air, thus generally free of contaminants. Outdoor mushrooms should be dipped in iodine no matter what before cloning, but with indoor grown ones usually it isn't necessary. Don't use alcohol on mushroom tissue. CLONING

*It won't affect your pinset because that's related to your technique, but it's well known that mycelium cloned from a cluster will produce mushrooms in clusters. That's not just cubes either. Edible growers have noted this for decades. The best oyster strains have been cloned from wild fruits that grew in clusters. In other words, clusters are a genetic trait. CLONING

*You can use iodine, or better yet, just tear the stem lengthwise to expose virgin tissue in the middle, and then cut a tiny piece out from there that has never been exposed to air. Use a flame sterilized needle or scalpel to get the tissue. CLONING

*I should also mention, when cloning clean indoor fruits, no iodine is needed. Simply split the stem as shown in the video, and scrape a touch of mycelium out of the center where it hasn't been exposed to air. The iodine/betadine is perfect for cloning wild outdoor mushrooms that have all sorts of bacteria and molds growing in conjunction with them. CLONING INDOOR FRUITS

*Small, rapidly growing fruits make the best candidates for cloning. If the mushroom has already matured, the cells have stopped dividing, thus it's not a good candidate. If you like clusters of fruits, clone from a cluster. If you like individual fruits, clone a loner. CLONINSTRAIN

*I've cloned wild mushrooms before by dipping in 10% bleach for up to fifteen minutes to kill bacteria before placing on agar. The bacteria is killed, but not the mushroom OR mold mycelium that might be along for the ride. CLONING BLEACH

*As for cloning vs strain isolation, they're not related. By the time a substrate fruits, hundreds or perhaps thousands of strains have exchanged DNA, either weakening or strengthening the mass. What you get is a 'heinz 57' that may or may not be that great because the weaker genes and the stronger genes(mycelium) have all combined. An example would be mixed breed dogs. We've all seen good examples and others that are dumber then hell.
Strain isolation on agar begins when the spores first start to germinate. I make the first transfers as soon as I can see mycelium growing from the point of inoculation, long before sectoring can be detected. By doing this, and by continuing to separate each individual growth, you can isolate mycelium prior to the process of anastomosis combining dikaryons into a single mass.

A lot of info I know... but there is A LOT of existing knowledge to read here.

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27083290 - 12/11/20 02:22 AM (2 months, 23 days ago)

If you have to ask, you should probably do it lol. Cloning is easy pz.. just pop the cap off the top of the stem and pull the stem apart in half so that the inner tissue is exposed.. don’t cut into it because you’ll drag contamination in from the outside.  With the inner stem tissue exposed, you want to take some tissue from the middle (it’s clean and wasn’t exposed to the outside). You take a small chunk... I use a flame sterilized little scissors to cut a triangle and then take a flame sterilized tweezers and pull it out.. then put that straight into a small sterilized jar of grain (if you don’t have agar plates)

Area I take tissue from (I didn’t actually take tissue from that fruit on the carpet :lol: it was just for the picture to show where I grab from)

That tissue put to 4oz jelly jar

Once that’s fully colonized, I break the grain up by shaking and inject sterile water into the jar (through a self healing injection port in the lid) then gently shake it around to knock the myc off into the water and suck it back up

Then I take that and shoot it into a jar of sterile water to dilute it down and inoculate grain qts and spawn those to tubs

Any time you open a jar, you want to do it in a still air box or in front of a flowhood

Agar is definitely the more widely used method but cloning to grain is super fast since once the little grain jar is colonized, I can use the grain liquid culture to inoculate multiple qts right away... agar does give you more control when choosing sectors though.. there’s a lot to learn but that’s just to give you some ideas.  I love grain liquid cultures because I don’t have to open the jar but once to drop the clone tissue in.. everything after that is a transfer of liquid through self healing ports.  Better yet.. learn both!

I explain all that ^^^ a little more in depth in My lid design thread towards the end

Faht

--------------------
PICTURE GALLERY

EVERYTHING FAHT, CLICK ME!

PHENO HUNTERS

OfflineNorris33
Stranger
Re: Harvesting culture from fruiting shrooms ? [Re: fahtster]
    #27083329 - 12/11/20 03:05 AM (2 months, 23 days ago)

Great info
Thanks guys
I’m excited

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Injection Ports, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started