Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebeginner
Stranger
layering casing?
    #2707685 - 05/20/04 05:59 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

the valleys of my casing have mycelium running throughout. i was thinking about putting another 1/4 inch of casing on top of that. i whould wait a bit longer for that layer to be wonderfully colonized. i suppose one could even put another layer if there is a purpose. whould this create a better fruiting perameter?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: layering casing? [Re: beginner]
    #2707747 - 05/20/04 06:10 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

All in all you want a casing layer that is around one fourth as deep as the substrate layer.

What you are referring to is called patching. In order for a casing to be covered in a nice even pinset you need it to be as evenly colonized as possible before you initiate the pinning phase of growth.
The best way to accomplish this is to create a very level surface when you are preparing the substrate and then when it colonizes fully you add your casing layer at a very even depth over the top. This is rarely done as perfectly as one intends so we get into patching.

You described your casing as colonized in the valleys. Instead of adding a complete new layer ,just add fresh sterile casing very selectly over the valley areas sporting the growth. This will allow the other barren areas to catch up and pop through the origional casing about the same time as the recased portion pokes through the new layer. If you were to add a total new layer ,as you intended ,you would have only achieved a deeper layer,and not actually helped the casing to colonize more evenly.

Best of luck to ya,
MYKEY

Offlinebeginner
Stranger
    #2707827 - 05/20/04 06:22 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

thanks, i have been succesful with rye berries and 50/50 casing. looking for more,more.

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2707862 - 05/20/04 06:32 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Your welcome!

The benefit of even pinset will be a more simultaneous maturation of the shrooms which means you can pick them all at once ,therefore limiting the handling of the casing. It will also produce more,as you are seeking,but the limited touching will reduce the likelyhood of introducing contamination ,therefore increasing the opportunity for subsequent flushes to be contam free.

This translates into...MORE>>>MORE>>>MORE>> :lol:

Offlinebeginner
Stranger
    #2707906 - 05/20/04 06:44 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

right on! this forum is coool. i wish i had more room to experiment with super bulk, like straw and worm castings. 2 bedroom appartment though. maybe ill give my bro the boot and plastic off his whole room. :grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags