Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
Home Cannabis Cultivation Continues, Despite Opposition From Many Marijuana Companies
    #27068594 - 12/02/20 04:34 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Home Cannabis Cultivation Continues, Despite Opposition From Many Marijuana Companies

From the "things that sucks about Capitalism" department.

Andrew Ward (from Benzinga)
Tue, December 1, 2020, 1:39 PM PST·5 min read

Original story in yahoo!finance

Home cultivation has emerged as a clear sticking point in cannabis reform across many states.

While it faces pushback, including from several cannabis brands, home grow is making incremental progress in medical and adult use markets, and ushering in a variety of parameters to meet state needs.

The issue has made more progress than other key advocate issues, such as social equity. Yet, industry professionals say more could be done to improve access and curb industry greed.

Those supporting home grow believe that it is a way to provide affordable cannabis to low income individuals, as well as to those customers who live in legal states, but have little access to products.

Related link: COVID-19 And Medical Marijuana: Why Aren't All Patients Allowed To Grow Their Own At Home?

Various Forms Of Home Grow Laws Passed

Of the five most recent states to pass cannabis reform, Arizona, Montana and South Dakota included some form of home grow parameters in their respective bills. They join a list of states to pass similar measures.

As of September 2020, 17 states and Washington, D.C. had passed some form of home growing laws, be they for medical or adult use.

Comparatively, most states have so far failed to pass social equity laws, with just a handful being considered adequate parameters.

Groups like the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP) say laws with "reasonable safeguards" have not been challenged by any states so far. The MPP suggests secure grow sites away from the public and cultivation caps as adequate parameters.

Like many cannabis laws, states have implemented various regulatory frameworks for home cultivation.

For example, in adult use markets, people over 21 can grow up to four plants in Oregon, while Washington State allows six and Vermont just two.

Medical markets vary as well.

Rhode Island patients and caregivers can grow as many as 12 plants and 12 seedling at a private indoor setting. New Hampshire allows up to three plants and 12 seedlings. In New Mexico, the cap is at 16. 

Meanwhile, New York, Pennsylvania and New Jersey are some of the states to ban home cultivation for medical patients.

The U.S. is not the only country dealing with home cultivation concerns. Quebec has been embroiled in ongoing legal battles over home cultivation despite federal law approving up to four plants per household.

Adequate Parameters

Some regulators agree that since cannabis is not one-size-fits-all, it warrants several points of consideration when discussing home grow for each state.

Shaleen Title, Commissioner of the Massachusetts Cannabis Control Commission, says it is important to consider patients’ medical needs when determining plant counts and square footage limits.

"It should be up to the patient and the doctor," Title says, citing "strong" grow laws in Massachusetts where there is a public awareness program on home grow limitations and safety measures around cultivation and extraction.

Individuals in Massachusetts can grow up to six plants or 12 per household with two or more adults.

Portland Civic Life Leader Dasheeda Dawson, a member of the Cannabis Regulators of Color Coalition along with Title, supports home cultivation to address the needs of patients.

At minimum, patients should have the ability to grow their medicine, particularly if they find a strain ideal for their treatment, she explains.

"If someone finds what works for them in another state but it's not readily grown in their home state, they should be able to grow what works for them," Dawson says, citing how home grow could be crucial during the ongoing pandemic when patients may be unable to access their dispensary.

Dawson also likens cannabis to vegetables, believing government oversight should not be involved in personal use other than establishing grow limits.

"Fear Of Fueling Unregulated Market"

Much of the blame for home grow omissions from state frameworks boils down to corporate interests.

Dawson says fear-based legislation and lobbying from multi-state operators (MSOs) have convinced legislators that home growing reduces tax revenue and the market’s overall success.

“Though unfounded in any substantial evidence, there is still a lot of fear about how home grow can fuel the unregulated market,” Dawson says.

The Civic Life head added that this perspective fails to recognize the perpetuation and growth of the legacy market despite decades of drug prohibition.

People are going to grow regardless of whether the law permits it or not, she adds.

The most notable example of corporate cannabis getting involved in home grow legislation came out of New York in 2019.

The New York Medical Cannabis Industry Association (NYMCIA) sent Governor Andrew Cuomo a 29-page memo detailing its opposition to home cultivation, citing its potential to undermine laws, the market, public health and other areas.

The group's current board includes leadership from Columbia Care Inc. (OTCQX: CCHWF), Acreage Holdings Inc. (OTCQX: ACRHF), Curaleaf Holdings Inc. (OTCQX: CURLF) and Cresco Labs Inc. (OTCQX: CRLBF).

The letter was made publicly available via Marijuana Moment.

One month later, Cuomo would propose legislation, which included a prohibition on home growing.

Not all of the major cannabis players oppose home growing.

In March 2019, 4Front Ventures Corp. (OTCQX: FFNTF) president Kris Krane wrote about the millions the few New York licenses sunk into a venture in a market that has largely struggled to legalize cannabis in the first place.

While empathizing with a desire to protect companies' stakes in the market, Krane chalked the opposition up to corporate greed and a desire to boost bottom lines.

Krane would go on to mention the potential damage opposing home grow could do for businesses.

He noted a risk of alienating their consumer base while possibly aligning with prohibitionist groups who are otherwise opposed to one another.

Krane mentioned that businesses should consider home growing the same as home brewing. Instead of being the enemy to legal sales, these home practitioners are often active buyers as well.

In January 2020, the NYMCIA voiced its support for Governor Cuomo's most recent efforts to legalize cannabis. It made no mention of home cultivation but did echo support for increasing access, lowering patient costs and removing entry barriers for patients.

© 2020 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: Home Cannabis Cultivation Continues, Despite Opposition From Many Marijuana Companies [Re: sonoramo] * 2
    #27068633 - 12/02/20 04:51 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Is there any reason we shouldn’t treat this like tomatos?

Grow your tomatos, you can tell if someone is fucking up property values by growing too many tomatos..:shrug:

Just grow some weed.. :robindance:

:flyby:

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

OfflineWeiliithinker
Enlightenment Seeker

Re: Home Cannabis Cultivation Continues, Despite Opposition From Many Marijuana Companies [Re: Amanita86]
    #27069441 - 12/03/20 07:43 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

:whathesaid:

InvisibleTheStallionMang
Do U know who yur fuckin with?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Home Cannabis Cultivation Continues, Despite Opposition From Many Marijuana Companies [Re: Amanita86]
    #27069538 - 12/03/20 08:33 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Amanita86 said:
Is there any reason we shouldn’t treat this like tomatoes?

That's exactly what I've always wanted, just treat it like tomatoes. Grow it in your yard, enjoy it yourself, give extra to neighbors or sell it at a farmer's market if ya want

OfflineImmortalZodd
I seek only the strong
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Home Cannabis Cultivation Continues, Despite Opposition From Many Marijuana Companies [Re: Weiliithinker]
    #27069573 - 12/03/20 08:46 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

This will continue to be an issue within cannabis regulation until we recognize as a society that limiting home cultivation is impossible and unrealistic to enforce. This will ultimately lead to the diminished need for dispensaries and the emergence of personal and widespread availability of a natural medicine that will be as commonplace as anything else grown in a home garden... like tomatoes.

--------------------
...the illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.

Carl Sagan

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up
Re: Home Cannabis Cultivation Continues, Despite Opposition From Many Marijuana Companies [Re: ImmortalZodd]
    #27069654 - 12/03/20 09:31 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

The weed farmers markets would be epic. During harvests farmers could wholesale untrimmed fresh flowers for bottom dollar to consumers who don't mind a little DIY.

InvisibleTheStallionMang
Do U know who yur fuckin with?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Home Cannabis Cultivation Continues, Despite Opposition From Many Marijuana Companies [Re: Failboat]
    #27069676 - 12/03/20 09:51 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Never thought of that but that would be sweet. I use to grow and hated harvesting for 3-5 days straight.  I'd close my eyes to go to bed and it was like pot leaf wall paper inside my eyelids

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up
Re: Home Cannabis Cultivation Continues, Despite Opposition From Many Marijuana Companies [Re: TheStallionMang]
    #27069690 - 12/03/20 10:02 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I harvested a small batch from some plants I fucked up a bit learning in flowering. Bout 12oz cured, but I had browning fan leaves so I had to really clean it up. Several days and amphetamine didn't help really lol, sleep wouldve been better for smooth work.

Besides if you're gonna do extracts especially cooking then the cheapest possible pice per gram of decarb oil is what I'm shopping for ya know. Been making chocolate bars, so yummy.

OfflineSugabearcrispS
Not Your Average Bear
Male User Gallery

Loc: OTD & ODD (not a pubfag)
Re: Home Cannabis Cultivation Continues, Despite Opposition From Many Marijuana Companies [Re: Failboat]
    #27070168 - 12/03/20 02:26 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

It is about taxes, states pass these laws based on projected revenues and home grows in legal states combined with gifting loopholes lead to large grey person to person grey market. States like MA have seed to sale bar coding to prevent introduction of untaxed product, each step in the process is watched and counted to make sure the tax is collected from grower, processor and seller. Get caught with untracked product and it is license over.

Probably why I have yet to visit a dispo, that and my friends keep giving me flower from their outdoor grows next to their tomatoes.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Home Cannabis Cultivation Continues, Despite Opposition From Many Marijuana Companies [Re: Sugabearcrisp]
    #27070229 - 12/03/20 03:25 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I'm sure lobbyists use that argument, but it's not like they couldn't limit it to personal amounts and ban sale/distribution. No reason it needs to be different than homebrewing, its not like home grows of small amounts can meet the aggregate demand in a state. Especially for demand for cannabis derived products, not easily produced at home. And in the end, it can actually be better for tax revenue because it helps generate interest, turn more people on to cannabis, and increase acceptance.

No matter what arguments are used, the real reason why the laws end up the way they are is because of lobbying, lobbying paid for by corporations motivated by greed.

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up
Re: Home Cannabis Cultivation Continues, Despite Opposition From Many Marijuana Companies [Re: Holybullshit]
    #27070312 - 12/03/20 04:25 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

If everyone just said fuck it and grew then the laws would change or be irrelevant once it's legal to possess.:smoker:

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
    #27071699 - 12/04/20 11:54 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Home grown kola leaves can glue scissors together. Someone takes pity on me, gives me "good" (thoroughly-trimmed) stuff from the store, and it has no stickiness left on it. It has been selectively-bred for a certain flavor profile, but broken down and graded, into many different products. Touched lots of times, from my perspective.

I get the impression that most people are still usually brand-conscious. They will not support independent manufacturers of weed or any other consumer good. With all due respect to the OP, all of the independently-productive people, displacing too-big-to-fails, is a made-up, social problem.

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
Re: Home Cannabis Cultivation Continues, Despite Opposition From Many Marijuana Companies [Re: durian_2008] * 1
    #27071965 - 12/04/20 02:03 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

durian_2008 said:
... With all due respect to the OP, all of the independently-productive people, displacing too-big-to-fails, is a made-up, social problem.

The issue I have with capitalists running the cannabis markets to their own benefit is this: They are using government power to limit what people can do at home, solely to protect their "investment" in licensing and so on. There's money to be made as well in selling home-grow kits and supplies. It's entirely possible to have people growing at home, supplying only friends and guests. Just like we have people home-brewing beer and fermenting wine.

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up
Re: Home Cannabis Cultivation Continues, Despite Opposition From Many Marijuana Companies [Re: sonoramo]
    #27072032 - 12/04/20 02:38 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

You can grow your own tobacco too. In all likelihood the average consumer wouldn't have much space to hone grow so it would really only be supplemental. On the other hand if it's opened up to farmers like tobacco it would be a free for all and "they" certainly want to slow that down.

OfflineMolecularConcept
Old School Back Again
Male User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Co
    #27073549 - 12/05/20 01:12 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I'm in pa and its crazy.  Flower is the same as the street price was when I was in high-school so that's no so bad the concentrates are ridiculous 50 bucks a half gram? Wtf  I get shit on sale but some of it is really some nice shit still way over priced

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds