Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Greetings seasoned micologists! [Re: troy_white42]
    #27138133 - 01/09/21 05:43 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Antibiotics research and testing.  I saved my couple bad LC jars to test and play so no loss if I mess them up.  I'm curious about Antibiotics and if we can clean up LC oppsies.  What can you use thats available over the counter?  Anyone tested this?  Found a few posts but nothing with results.

https://www.chewy.com/fish-aid-antibiotics-amoxicillin/dp/185202?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Fish%20Aid%20Antibiotics&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAiAxeX_BRASEiwAc1QdkQshQMvVlJKHCyY1muB-O9gwKnhSQDahULkovu5-kWCOZzpGYMlCNRoCUnEQAvD_BwE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePossum-Pie
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#27138180 - 01/09/21 06:18 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

From a medical perspective, you really need to know the genus of bacteria. Gram Negative only are killed by certain antibiotics while gram positive respond to penicillin family like amoxicillin or Augmentin. I don't really think antibiotic treatment would work.  Anaerobic bacteria may respond to hydrogen peroxide spray, but I'm thinking that once contaminated, it's best to isolate and discard without allowing it to spread to unaffected mycelium.  It's not even certain that the contaminate is a bacteria...it may be another fungus. fungicides such as miconazole may kill the desired fungi along with the contaminant. In theory, you certainly could culture and sensitize the contaminant to find the appropriate antibiotic, but it's too much trouble and too expensive without the proper microscope, agar plates, and knowledge base.  The Amox. you linked to would really only be effective against Staph. aureus and a few other common human pathogens. When a doctor prescribes an antibiotic, it usually is guess work depending on where the infection is...Staph and Strep being the most common.

Edited by Possum-Pie (01/09/21 06:26 PM)

Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Greetings seasoned micologists! [Re: Possum-Pie]
    #27138202 - 01/09/21 06:28 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Ya, I get the hassle factor to really do the science of isolate the bacteria and grow it to treat it.  Not worth the time or money when you could just cook up another batch and start over.  I figure what the hell tho for a $12 bottle I could do some research on jars I don't trust and try to agar them after tonsee if it did anything. Was just curious if anyone's tried it.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #27138256 - 01/09/21 06:55 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Better off doing grain and then just G2G from there. LC is too unreliable but you will learn that if you keep going down this path.

Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Greetings seasoned micologists! [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #27138482 - 01/09/21 08:52 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

LT to LC seems almost fail proof.  Then LC to grain.  What you use to inocnyour grainM

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27138615 - 01/09/21 09:52 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

You can not see contamination in LC. So you won't know the LC is bad until you use it. Grain on the other hand you will most likely see the contamination and smell it.

Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #27142882 - 01/11/21 11:18 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

First pins on some pink and bear head.

https://ibb.co/jWVwDNS

https://ibb.co/8r8MZM6

Invisibleteknix
π“‚€βŸπ“…’π“π“…ƒπ“Š°π“‰‘ 𓁼𓆗⨻
 User Gallery

#27143015 - 01/12/21 12:58 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

:cheers:

OfflineShutEye
Noob
 User Gallery

Loc: RVA
Re: Greetings seasoned micologists! [Re: teknix]
    #27143382 - 01/12/21 09:03 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Wow, I love how you really went all in on this set up. I started around the same time but went with a small 3x3 tent and single disc fogger. Nice to see goals to work toward.

I'm still a complete noob and haven't been burned by LC yet so I'm with you on how great I found it to be but it seems anyone that has done this for longer moves away from it. To me using clean agar to make LC almost seems too easy for expansion. I'm still new to agar and the condensation is driving me crazy as well.

Quick question on why you are using WBS instead of whole oats or rye for spawn? I found oats to be really cheap and super easy for making spawn.

Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Greetings seasoned micologists! [Re: ShutEye]
    #27143492 - 01/12/21 10:15 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

So I started small and it was easier to manage but I am looking to large scale long term and start farmers marketing and selling to local gourmet restaurants.  I've got the space so I figured might as well.  I started small with a single fogger and small tent so I could learn from my mistakes before investing larger scale. I really had a vague idea of what I needed to invest in until I did a trial run and made the mistakes.  Not to say I've perfected my skills at all but I think I've got the base science down enough to upgrade and start tweaking a large tent.

I'm going to give g2g a shot next batch since I made a bag of wbs for each species.  I'm not super confident in it only because my flow hood is tiny and dropping a grand into a real one isn't really on the budget atm.  I can definitely see the potential for g2g but I might stick to LC bag injects till then.  I'm hoping to take a LT sample from these first grows and needle inject it into LC for a 100% for sure clean LC grow for the next generation.

I use wbs because I can get a 40lb sack of it for $10 and I can only find horse Oats for about a $1/lbs and/or order rye berries for more.  I did some pint jars of wbs and didn't really see an issue colonizing.  I might order some rye berries or test the horse Oats just to see if it's a growth rate thing later on but again it's a budget thing.  I'm mostly going to just use wbs for pint jars to knock up with my LC along with a few agar plates to check quality control.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27143938 - 01/12/21 01:57 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Your mushrooms will tell you if it is enough. If you start getting long stems it is time for a circulation fan. For the most part, you need a circulation fan it will keep stagnating air from building up around the mushrooms.

Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #27145318 - 01/13/21 08:21 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Note to self: don't fall asleep with the PC on.  Woke up to my bags melting.  Should be a fun job cleaning the pot later πŸ™„.  Got some free time later today. Gonna try and finish my tent construction so I can get these fruiting bags off the counter and properly hydrated.  Bout tired of hand misting them.  Fruiting nice though!  Dropped some test drips from my new 32oz LC jars onto agar since they look pretty colonized for a test run.  They look nice in the jars lwts see how they do on the agar.  So I learned to label my agar preinjection.  Trying to figure out how to parafilm them still..  when you move the wedge the liquid from the syringe moves all over the plate making it grow all over instead of from your control point.  🀬.  Learned you can autoclave syringes which is super nice since with a lot of species you go thru a shit ton testing agar and injecting bags/grain.

Fish food safeguard didn't seem to do much for clearing up my junk jar.  Ick guard seemed to clear up one a bit.  Testing the mycelium on agar now.  Got some fish mox coming and ill test that on another junk jar and agar it soon.  Tryibg to solve my budget problem in order to g2g the wbs I got going and guess I'm going to try the box fan/filter approach as my laminar isn't that big to help give me more space.  Ik it's not true laminar and thr filter won't be 99.9 but it's better than nothing for now.

Ordered a second PC so I can roll 8 bags an hour instead of the tedious 4.  Def need a third in time and eventually upgrade to. Double barrel steamer but that's a hefty project and will take some time.  Future thoughts.  Also think I'm going to cross breed all these test agar plates since I'll have a shit ton and see if I can get any mates.  Cuz why not?

Offlinedeadmandave
Slime
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #27145463 - 01/13/21 09:36 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

What type of PC are you using? I fell asleep once cooking agar, luckily caught it before harming the autoclave itself.. just a way overcooked jar of agar.. at this point i set an alarm for each step on the autoclave, for instance as soon as i turn it on i set a 25 minute timer so i remember to come check if its steaming. i have forgotten about it too many times. :lol:

Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Greetings seasoned micologists! [Re: deadmandave]
    #27145504 - 01/13/21 09:54 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Presto 23 quart.  I usually set an alarm too but I worked late and figured I'd get one batch done before bed and forgot.  The bottle of wine probably didn't help πŸ˜†.  The pot doesn't look too bad but I'll prob have to take it outside and heat it up to get all the plastic off that melted.    Worse part is the house smells like rubber for a few days lol.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27145977 - 01/13/21 01:36 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Make yourself a hotplate with PID controller and timer. Press a button and you can sleep all you want. I have mine set up to sound a very loud alarm when it reaches 140F so if I am doing agar I know when to pour it. Just get a broken stove from craigslist and you will have all the parts you need except the timer and PID. Your PC will use less water also if set up correctly I can run mine for 4 hours with no problem...

Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #27146052 - 01/13/21 02:26 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I'll probably build one off your tek when I get my tent situated and first mass bags colonizing.  Just a matter of free time atm lmao

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27146154 - 01/13/21 03:48 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

I don't think I made a tek on that one but I probably should. It really makes working with your PC so easy no more adjusting or having to keep an eye on it.

Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #27148372 - 01/14/21 06:36 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Finally got a few days free from working OT and made some major progress on my tent.  Just got to build a door which is being hinged on and the air seal with gorilla.glued velcro.  Still got to build the shelves but I got the space shelf Frame almost up too.

https://ibb.co/JsDnFDh
https://ibb.co/z5xyfV1

Got my modified drum fogger lined in with two pvc entries.  The flapper is built in up top to draw in FAE from the suction of the - pressure.  Last pic is the - pressure exhaust fan porting put the window.

https://ibb.co/smYcZYR
https://ibb.co/N35NtvN
https://ibb.co/v1ZGtWD

My first aggressive species FO and PO pins are doing well especially since I've been stuck hand misting them.  Pain in the ass.  Ready to get atmosphere in my tent.  So I'm looking at this FO and it's looking like BO so either I got sent a wrong syringe or I was just shit faced when I injected it and/or labeled it.  Who knows..  I'll have to figure it out.

https://ibb.co/18r14Tc
https://ibb.co/FxcLtG8
https://ibb.co/4mQzcJV

Agar test plates from my LC jars are starting to grow.  Prob a.couple more days before I can tell.  More to come.

Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #27151034 - 01/16/21 07:55 AM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Atmosphere!  Running at 92% humidity pretty easy yay.  Mightbtest bump it up but I gotta figure out my drainage problem from the pipes drip.  Got my first couple shelves up and fruiting nicely!  Smooth sailing from here!

https://ibb.co/LQ7VbJD
https://ibb.co/2gQmD3K
https://ibb.co/y0xBWmT
https://ibb.co/Gc7Jx8F
https://ibb.co/GkzBKc3
https://ibb.co/QpBkqMm

How do you know they're done growing and ready to be harvested?

Offlinetaku
Β° shapeshifter βˆ†
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #27152310 - 01/16/21 10:02 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

troy_white42 said:
Smooth sailing from here!

Famous last words...

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck