Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Greetings seasoned micologists! * 1
    #27071652 - 12/04/20 11:30 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Hello! First id like to start about how stoked I am to finally do this. Been an avid mushroom hunter since a kid starting with morals and peckerheads.  Recently decided to branch off my foraging and study species from a book.  Took a trip to the smokies and found a lot of new stuff including a couple lbs of wild lion mane!  First time eating and iding it! YUM!

Been doing a lot of research about cultivation and decided to convert a spare room into a grow room with individual mini greenhouse shelves and a fog pvc system for air exchange and humidity.  Ordered a bunch of base material to start practicing my agar dishes and LC.  Ordered about 10 different strains of syringe oysters, hen, chicken, and lions mane to get started.  Id like to build up a library of clones and spores to ensure I've got plenty of back ups as I'm sure ill have plenty of oppsies learning practically.  Fully intend of sharing pictures of the process and grows to get and share ideas.

Anyone got some spore prints they'd be willing to share that would be fun to grow and add to by base collection?  I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now and decided why the hell not?  Time to jump in!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Greetings seasoned micologists! [Re: troy_white42]
    #27071793 - 12/04/20 12:43 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

You need to exhaust air out and not just draw air in. I am not sure what you mean by a fog PVC system for air exchange and humidity. Any way you want to build a passive exhaust system especially since it sounds like you will be growing close to where you live. A passive system will draw air in as it exhausts air and spores out...

The flapper will not work unless you have a sealed tent or room. If it is not sealed it will just draw air in where ever it can get air and the flapper will not open.

https://www.amazon.com/Connector-Plastic-Straight-Heating-Ventilation/dp/B0822TDWNF/ref=sr_1_91?dchild=1&keywords=air+duct+damper&qid=1607111100&sr=8-91

Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Greetings seasoned micologists! [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #27071913 - 12/04/20 01:32 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Essentially two 3 tier racks with each row split into different separate tanks to minimalize cross contamination of specimen with 3mm tarp.  A 2" pvc pipe runs through each tank with holes drilled in each tank for air/humidity feeding from a Tupperware water box with a disc fogger and fan to push psotive pressure. 

Still working on the idea of venting as its set up in my spare bedroom.  Can't really do negative pressure since I'm using my central air to control temp. I can open the window and vent the room manually or I've flirted with installing filters on each tank to push out the positive airflow from the pvc into the room and filter the spores.  I'm still framing the woodwork atm got about 2 weeks for my supplies to start growing comes in.  Totally educated trial by fire guessing here lol.  Input welcome

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27071987 - 12/04/20 02:16 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Get a piece of plywood cut a hole in it for exhaust and stick it in a window You can use rigid foam insulation to insulate if you need to...

https://www.homedepot.com/s/rmax%2520rigid%2520foam%2520insulation%2520board?NCNI-5

without exhausting the co2 there won't be many mushrooms you can grow especially oysters and LM.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27071998 - 12/04/20 02:21 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I think you are overthinking this as long as the growing parameters are the same you can grow different species in the same tent.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27072013 - 12/04/20 02:28 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I am assuming you are going to put a mini greenhouse in the room.

Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #27073034 - 12/05/20 07:21 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Thats my super power. Overthinking lol.  So I think I'll have to go with the vent for the window but I'm going to test some negative pressure with .02 micron filters.  Yes essentially indoor greenhouse. Current framing phase.  Stoked! Trying to figure out pic uploads from the phone but ill post em when I get it figured out.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27073291 - 12/05/20 10:39 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

If you want to test with a filter that is your choice but you will soon find out it is a waste of money. Filters stop up quickly and must be replaced frequently. It will get very expensive with little benifit.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Greetings seasoned micologists! [Re: SHROOMSISAY01] * 1
    #27073308 - 12/05/20 10:46 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

If you use a negative pressure there is really no need for a filter the exhaust vent will take a lot of the spores out of the room. I would still use a mask rated for spores while in the room/tent. I know that is the last thing you want to hear right now. Someone telling you to wear a mask. At least I am not affiliated with the government.

Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #27075104 - 12/06/20 11:28 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I've done the plywood window trick before for construction so I'll look into it after I get my initial setup a test run.  I've got a few initial concerns floating in my head bit I need to finish building and test the power of the disc fogger and fan to see how much it will push through a 4 tiered greenhouse shelf (5'x8'x2').  The airflow will be coming from a big Tupperware box filled with water and a disc from hoh.  A circular fan will push the air/fog from the box via dryer duct into a 2"pvc into the greenhouse.  I'm wondering if I should start the pvc on top or bottom (will the fog/humidity rise or fall ).  Will that be enough FAE set on a humidity controller?  Should I install a secondary exhaust port for + pressure and a fan on one side with a - pressure fan porting to the window exhaust?  Will that be too much FAE and/or kill my humidity if I set it on an independent timer?  My lighting is from a western facing bedroom window and I have a few LED 6500k strips if I need more.

Other thoughts:
Do you inoculate the substrate bag independent with a LC syringe or do you inoculate the wbf/GS jars first and dump them into the substrate after colonization?

What can I use for substrate bag gas exchange ports?  I ordered some cut to fit filter sheets but I don't think they're 99.9% like the one I ordered for my lamar hood build.  Links!

Do you need different agar recipes for different species LC grows?

Edited by troy_white42 (12/06/20 11:44 AM)

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27076106 - 12/06/20 08:28 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Humidity will rise. Where do the clouds form? In the sky because humidity rises.

I do not know what size fan you have to push the humidity but realize you will lose a lot of the force of the fan going through a flexible duct with a wire in it. The air hits the wire every few inches and slows down. Also, realize you are putting humidity through whatever duct you decide to use and water will build up in the duct if it is not slanted toward where the humidity is coming from. If you slant it. It will run back into your bucket. Unless it is a duct that has the wire in it. If it has a wire it will be traped. Best to use 4" PVC for your ducting.

Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #27076121 - 12/06/20 08:36 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Interesting concepts I've been flirting but trying to be cheap.  I've already dumped $700+ which single bad for my grow size from scratch.  I'm pretty sure you're right about the fan size for the + pressure which is pushing the fogger.  I'm only curious if the- pressure for the out fan will compensate its loss.  I'm gonna test a couple dry runs soon. 

I thought about the clouds but also the temp fluxs in natural environments.  Hot days cold nights.  Fog generally stays low then rises with heat.  My grow is in a 70°- perm environment.  Either way I can start up top with a shelf with + pressure and suck it out though the outtake for FAE with - pressure ensuring they all get a taste of the humidity  or vice versa.  From the bottom the splash back will be in the original water box but up top will prob be the greenhouse.  Disnt think of that.  Migbt upgrade my + fan depending on test runs.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27076248 - 12/06/20 10:09 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I don't know if I have told you but you really need a circulation fan inside your room just moving the air around but not blowing on the mushrooms and if you are using a humidity controller place the probe on the intake of the fan. I use a painter's booth filter so the spores don't damage the prob when I change the filter I wash out the old one and use it again the next time.

Offlinetroy_white42
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #27076633 - 12/07/20 06:45 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I think the +/- in out fans will suffice exchange with my set up.  Didnt think of the probe filter thanks.  Here's my set up thusfar after framing.  Still a lot of work to do.  Air will blow in the top on the red line and get sucked out at the bottom following each enclosed level with a vent hole at each levels opposing end to ensure equal humidity spread.  I'll post more as I get progress. Side note: I'm starting to doubt my single disc fogger will produce enough for the cubic foot of this enclosure.  I'm hoping since its air tight it will man up to the jon just have to run longer.  May need to upgrade to a 4 disc but ill test run.  Also the + pressure fan may need a boost but I can prob swap out my lamar hoods floor blower and just pull it when I need it for the lamar work.  So much fun problem solving and my cultures haven't even arrived. 🤣

https://ibb.co/tM8szV8

Edited by troy_white42 (12/07/20 08:16 AM)

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27077258 - 12/07/20 02:31 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

My point is that for a small amount more you will have a perfect system rather than drilling holes in the pipe and having humidity come out in different places you buy a 3 or 4-inch bilge fan  and where ever your humidity is coming in just blow the air around. You will notice if you are growing oysters especially that you will get long stipes without a circulation fan. Co2 builds up around the mushrooms quickly without a circulation fan. A water-resistant bilge fan is cheap.

4 inch...

https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-1749-4-Blower-Resistant-4-Inch/dp/B003EX02DA/ref=sr_1_23_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=bilge+fan&qid=1607375944&sr=8-23-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyRDFTU1FDWVlWRkI3JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDY3MTUxMlM1M1U2V1hTMDBMWCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDk2MTMyMzlVU1pJUUZOSVlIUyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

3 inch...

https://www.amazon.com/attwood-Blower-Resist-White-3-Inch/dp/B001O0DE9E/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=3%22+bilge+fan&qid=1607376080&sr=8-5

I personally would use the 4 " and a https://www.amazon.com/attwood-Blower-Resist-White-3-Inch/dp/B001O0DE9E/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=3%22+bilge+fan&qid=1607376080&sr=8-5

I personally would use the 4 in with a 12 volt Speed Controller to control the speed of the fan. But you would need at least a 5 amp speed controller.

Anyway, I will not beat a dead horse. If you don't want to use a circulation fan it is your choice but you will eventually find out you need one.

OfflinePossum-Pie
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#27078170 - 12/08/20 04:23 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Hi, I'm relatively new to the forum and a healthcare provider. I've seen folks laugh off spore inhalation and folks overly paranoid about it. Human fungal infections are almost all topical-athlete's foot, yeast infections, toenail infections, etc.  Annoyances. HOWEVER severely immunocompromised people can get internal fungal infections which are very dangerous.  I'd say casual contact with inhaled spores in a person with an intact immune system is perfectly safe. Hours/day of close contact such as a commercial grow room needs a filter mask. Sounds like your hobby room should be safe to enter without a mask however beware that being inside a residence infants, elderly, people with HIV, or other immunocompromised people probably should not go in.

This information is meant to be instructional only. Any questions about your individual situation should be directed to your personal physician.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Greetings seasoned micologists! [Re: Possum-Pie]
    #27078356 - 12/08/20 08:15 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

From what I hear when you breathe in a spore it is always there. That spore will never leave your lungs. If that is true an accumulative effect would be bad for anyone. I also don't think you realize how bad the spore load can be. If I have a spore drop my whole room and everything in it will be covered with white dust. Be careful everyone your health is nothing to play with. I would rather put on a mask and not need it than to have needed it and not wear it!! There was just a post a few days ago that talked about flu-like symptoms from spore inhalation.

OfflinePossum-Pie
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#27078378 - 12/08/20 08:28 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Inhalation of any particulate such as smoke, dust, pollen, etc. can cause a reaction if a high enough concentration and a long enough period of time. Most mushroom spore reactions are actually not from an "infection", but from an autoimmune mediated allergic reaction called Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis Induced by Spores.  As I mentioned previously, casual inhalation is no more dangerous than occasionally sitting around a campfire compared to someone smoking filter-less cigarettes for 40 years.  It's a matter of how much and how long. There are many documented cases of Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis Induced by Shiitake mushrooms. If it makes you feel better to mask up for a home grow room, it certainly won't hurt.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01M
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Greetings seasoned micologists! [Re: Possum-Pie]
    #27078883 - 12/08/20 02:49 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Good info. Thanks for your input. We appreciate it!!

Offlinetaku
° shapeshifter ∆
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #27079395 - 12/08/20 07:54 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

In terms of the circulation fan, would it be enough to have a fan blowing in fresh air with the fog in tandem with a humidity controller and an exhaust fan set to run 6 times an hour? Does that circulate the air enough? Or have a small fan inside running at all times?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale