Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #27055550 - 11/24/20 01:38 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
. . .
The brownish stuff on the the bottom is a giant puck of solid agar. The “broth” is simply sterile water added to the vessel once the colony on the agar has grown out and looks healthy. Use whatever recipe you like, this was just undiluted grain soak water and 2% agar for the puck.

I think I read about that approach someplace else. You might even be the person who posted it. I've considered taking that approach to make an LC that could be renewed by withdrawing some mycelium and then adding more water. Presumably, clean water is easier to prepare than clean broth. Are there other benefits to this approach?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLemgrub
 User Gallery

Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: sonoramo]
    #27058009 - 11/26/20 12:32 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

It's gettin there

--------------------
We getting that pirate bay, alien shishkebab cordycep money

InvisibleLemgrub
 User Gallery

Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: Lemgrub]
    #27060429 - 11/27/20 03:37 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Took a sterile syringe and busted up the big clump today, then made a receiving LC, an agar check, and inoculated a qt jar. Pretty sure it's a clean one and just hoping I didn't contaminate anything during the process. 1st pic is the good LC swirled, 2nd is bacterial unswirled and 3rd is bacterial swirled for reference. Notice the lemongrab eyes behind the jar.

--------------------

InvisibleMateja
 Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: Here
Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: Lemgrub]
    #27060491 - 11/27/20 04:18 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Lemgrub said:
1st pic is the good LC

Those three broths looks identical to me, Idk how you concluded that one is clean and two are bacterial, what did you base that on? Also why isn't myc visible in any of the three jars like in this jar that yu posted earlier?
Quote:

Lemgrub said:

Please provide us with more details on these broths, recipe, method/date of inoculation so we can try to figure out what happened to them :super: gl

Edited by Mateja (11/27/20 04:24 PM)

InvisibleLemgrub
 User Gallery

Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: Mateja]
    #27060703 - 11/27/20 07:30 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I guess I should have left the good one still. 4% honey, which I already determined is too much.

Both cups unshook. The first one hasn't changed in turbidity since I inoculated it. The second was inoculated a week later and began getting turbid within a day. Maybe it doesn't show up well in pics, or the plastic of the container distorts the clarity but I can see my fingerprint from the other side in the good one.

--------------------

InvisibleMateja

#27060790 - 11/27/20 08:44 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Lemgrub said:
I guess I should have left the good one still.
Both cups unshook

I think you should swirl your LC's daily and definitely before deciding on how clean it is or before taking pics to post :thumbup: I've even had a homogenized, known bacterial broths suddenly appear to be clear one day, then after a quick swirl it became apparent that the previously suspended and evenly distributed particles had eventually sunk to the bottom. 7 believe that the bacterial cells will remain suspended 'mid-air' inside the broth during log phase but in death phase or towards the end of the stationary phase as the cells begin to die it kind of make sense that gravity will pull the lifeless cells and the non motile endospores to the bottom. Don't quote me on this tho even tho I'm fairly sure this is the case I'm nonetheless partly speculating as well.

I will just add that glass jars and crystal clear broths make it very easy to spot changes in the environment inside the broth, 4% no matter what is too much even for agar and not to mention a liquid Media which could probably be as effective even if it was diluted up to 50times. I currently have broths which are made from hay and straw water diluted 40 times and it seems to work fine :thumbup:

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

InvisibleLemgrub
 User Gallery

Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: Mateja] * 1
    #27060947 - 11/27/20 11:03 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

It's good to know that growth does fine with so little carbs. And I've since made some receiving cups for LC at much lower levels and like the clarity/color neutrality better.

As for the containers, I kind of like them, they're cheap, and easy to find. I can tell changes in clarity pretty easily with them. I do have to inspect liquids for particles in my job after all.

--------------------

OfflineMH5109
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
    #27061084 - 11/28/20 04:44 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Hows my ape culture look, I inoculated the lc on 11/22 from an ape clone plate through a ship. I just got done agitating it to spread it out. I'm pretty new to the lc game but I'm playing around with it for real the first time. What do guys think of my lc.

--------------------

Invisiblecoversall
إِنْ شَاءَ ٱللَهُ
 Unread Journal

Loc: संसार
Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: MH5109] * 1
    #27061090 - 11/28/20 05:04 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

LC corner. The three ones that are ready are Pan cyan. The two bigger ones were nocd with the needle poke tek, the smaller on with just a small chunk of agar. The two newer ones are pan cambo. Both nocd with a small agar wedge.

No stirrers, unmodified lids. Being vigoursly swirled at least once a day.

All LME, 1g per 500ml of water.

--------------------

..:: E V E R Y  ::..

..:: New? Start here. ::..
..:: How I Panaeolus. From Agar to Tea ::..

InvisibleMateja

Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: MH5109]
    #27061865 - 11/28/20 04:22 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MH5109 said:
I'm pretty new to the lc game but I'm playing around with it for real the first time. What do guys think of my lc.

I'm also brand new to the LC game, this is the first time I'm using it as inoculate :shrug: tho I've grown it lots of times over the years to observe it inside jars in different settings/environments and take notes :takingnotes:
About your LC, from my limited perspective the broth looks clear but only you can (learn) to be the definitive judge of that. Grow as many LC's as you can, observe them, compare results, and eventually you'll begin to understand it more and more (but this goes for anything of course) you learn little by little each time you do something until you've freed yourself from needing to appeal to 'authority' for "how does this look". To tell you the truth you shouldn't in any way see me as an authority on this, at least to the extent of your confidence about the verogoty of my findings posted anywhere, that's why I've said multiple times no one should take my word for anything I'm just posting MY results from MY experience of observing whatever I'm observing. If some growers can find value in the results of my experiments then I'm happy to have contributed to helping someone, I'm mostly just a curious person and I like to 'fish out' information and showing others how to fish instead of just offering them a speculative fish for the day by which they don't learn anything new nor I.

I fish usually with my 'side by side' rod cause that's the most basic scientific approach to roughly assess/estimate things early on, it's not the most precise science and definitely not the way I'm conducting experiments but it is in my view enough to point in some general directions and of course some findings will be spot on and so on.. The more you fish the more valuable fishing spots you'll be able to find, me personally I like to fish in big lakes but also in small ponds, knowing there's mostly crabfish and minnows lurking and I don't necessarily even need to catch the giant catfish, it can be enough just to find out where his hiding place is and that can be of great value for fishing some other time in other places. Now I'm just too much with these parables I know I want to puke as well, but my old man was a carpenter so I can't help it :shrug:

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

InvisibleD3_Myc
Weeb Trash
I'm a teapot

Loc: Year Zero
Trusted Cultivator
Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: Mateja]
    #27062079 - 11/28/20 07:15 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

She was fully colonized so expanded it

Did a test on agar which looks really good

Here’s how the expanded cultures look. One grain water one lme

With a lil swirl, I think the lme is performing a tiny bit better. Had more sediment to grow and feed on

InvisibleMateja

Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: D3_Myc]
    #27062127 - 11/28/20 08:05 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

coversall said:

Quote:

D3monic said:

The grid patterns behind the jars is genius and really compliments the inspection of the broth
:coolpost:

--------------------
Cakes inside Water Tub

OfflineMH5109
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
    #27062177 - 11/28/20 09:02 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

The LC looks clear, as in I can see my fingerprints through the liquid on the other side. Im going to give them another week to build up and inject some test grain jars. I love the idea of lc for speed and stretching a culture out, but I'm sure I'll catch some fish I don't want to keep as with all mycology. Really interesting thread to look through, thanks for making it.

--------------------

Invisiblecoversall
إِنْ شَاءَ ٱللَهُ
 Unread Journal

#27062369 - 11/29/20 02:20 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mateah said:
Quote:

coversall said:

Quote:

D3monic said:

The grid patterns behind the jars is genius and really compliments the inspection of the broth

Holy shit, I hadn't even noticed! My pan cambo LC is starting to wake up now. I really need something to pour my pan cyan LC on.

--------------------

OfflineBrownBear
Warrior-Traveler
 User Gallery

Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: coversall]
    #27062407 - 11/29/20 03:40 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

coversall said:
Quote:

Mateah said:
Quote:

coversall said:

Quote:

D3monic said:

Holy shit, I hadn't even noticed! My pan cambo LC is starting to wake up now. I really need something to pour my pan cyan LC on.

The best way to observe turbidity is by having somwthing to look at through the glass. I have used the grid pattern from my filter on occassion. I have also used a box of gloves and a fan.

Invisiblemushhead
Potato Devourer
I'm a teapot

Loc: Dimension H-231
Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: BrownBear]
    #27062764 - 11/29/20 10:07 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

APE LC doing well, no turbidity I can sense (other than high nute level sediment)

RW(left) APE-LC#2(right) both performing as expected, though I did find a rogue body within the APE-LC#2 I am unsure of. All the above were done biopsy method.

B+ LC looking very clean.
This is a three day old plate done with three tiny droplets of LC and spread with my inoculating loop, the liquid had no discernable myc I could make out clearly without aid of a microscope. I have made 10(10cc) syringes of this culture and plan to use it after a few more days of observing the above plate.

I have new equipment on the way!
SH2 Stir plate
Multiple sized magnets.
Proper LC vessels made of Pyrex.
Lab grade Pyrex beakers/flasks.
Glass Syringes(20)
Flow Hood by Phenomenal Fungi (just the cheaper $900 one)
Can't wait to start using this Flow Hood, just getting my lab area prepped so I can fit in upon the desk here.

Edited by mushhead (11/29/20 10:14 AM)

Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: D3_Myc]
    #27063895 - 11/30/20 02:25 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

D3monic said:
Did a test on agar which looks really good

How'd you do the test? Such perfect little growths and no streak marks. Syringe?

Edited by verum subsequentis (11/30/20 02:44 AM)

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #27063896 - 11/30/20 02:28 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Yea test plates are always a raging mess for me everytime no matter how careful I want to be. That's if I test at all tho.

Invisiblecoversall
إِنْ شَاءَ ٱللَهُ
 Unread Journal

Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: Josex]
    #27063900 - 11/30/20 02:39 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Josex said:
Yea test plates are always a raging mess for me everytime no matter how careful I want to be. That's if I test at all tho.

I dropped my last test plates, so most of it ended up on the lid

:singletear:

--------------------

Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LC Training Camp: Interpreting Visual Cues To Predict The Quality Of A Broth [Re: coversall]
    #27063905 - 11/30/20 02:44 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

bet it still grew

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale