Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Hygrometer, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineIdkwhatisgoingon
Stranger
White Thick Layer growing on Cake. Not fuzzy.
    #27048079 - 11/19/20 11:11 PM (1 month, 26 days ago)

Hey everyone! This is my second time growing, so I’m fairly inexperienced.

Everything seemed to be going okay. I grew a singular large mushroom and seemed ready to cut, so I cut it from the cake.

A few days later, I started noticing some white on the cakes. I assumed it was white fuzz that sometimes appears on cakes. I didn’t pay much attention to it until the white started spreading throughout the cake. The white layer slowly started to spread and spread, and today, I realized that the cake started to have an odd odor that wasn’t similar to how the cake usually smells. I’ll have pics of the white layer below and have the dates attached to when I took the photo. Any help or advice for what I can do or if I should throw it out would be helpful. Thanks!

Mushroom cut 11/3

First set of Pics 11/14

Second set of Pics 11/17

Third set of Pics 11/19

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleconcretelush
shadow cast light mass
I'm a teapot

Re: White Thick Layer growing on Cake. Not fuzzy. [Re: Idkwhatisgoingon]
    #27048092 - 11/19/20 11:28 PM (1 month, 26 days ago)

That don't look right at all I'd toss it. Pins look like grey slugs! I had to really  look at those to even register what they were lol. If your misting be careful with the fruits they don't like being wet. They won't be happy and will invite some nasty friends to join their pity party if you rain on their parade to hard.

OfflineEagerNoob42
Trying my best
Male

#27048107 - 11/19/20 11:46 PM (1 month, 26 days ago)

Oh man, I'm sorrybut those have been sick and rotting from the get go and need to be disposed of. Not safe for eating, won't recover.

Really sorry buddy but you gotta try again.

You've even got the contams mold growing all the way up that one pin.

Best of luck next time, start devouring all the data on here over the next couple weeks and months, and try again once you understand what went wrong.

What does your fruiting chamber look like?

Can we get some full pics of it?

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: White Thick Layer growing on Cake. Not fuzzy. [Re: EagerNoob42]
    #27048121 - 11/19/20 11:56 PM (1 month, 26 days ago)

Yup mold. Emphasis on dont eat, they are infected. Sorry bud.

OfflineEagerNoob42
Trying my best
Male

#27048143 - 11/20/20 12:22 AM (1 month, 26 days ago)

I'm a beginner as well, and on my second grow as we speak, but I have been overloading my brain to the point of full blown panic attacks with info from this site over the past few months and from what I can see here, I have a little bit better of a grasp on the process than you do so far, which is totally ok, but I just wanna say feel free to send me a pm if you're confused or overwhelmed about something and I'll try to help out.

Again, I'm very much a noob as well, and there's a thousand other guys here more knowledgable than me, but I'll help as much as I can with my limited knowledge and experience, and if I don't know something, I'll say so and not talk out of my ass like I actually do know.

Anyways, welcome to the fam,

Start studying here.

Read people's teks in their signatures. Use the search engine, and again, don't hesitate to hit me up dude. We could both use a grow buddy as a support network since we're on the same grow around the same stage.

Check my recent post here
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27044115

✌😁🤘

OfflineIdkwhatisgoingon
Stranger
    #27053714 - 11/23/20 12:34 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

I threw away the white cake so ty for that. I’m not sure if I should also throw away the other cakes.

Anyways, here is my full setup. It’s in my closet lmao.

Also, thanks for being honest and welcoming with me ! I will definitely hit you up for questions. You are a hero.

Edited by Idkwhatisgoingon (11/23/20 12:36 PM)

OfflineEagerNoob42
Trying my best
Male

#27054767 - 11/24/20 01:16 AM (1 month, 22 days ago)

dude you are in desperate need of several more inches of perlite. You need 4-5 inches total in there. My perlite takes up half the tub and I still have to spray it down every day to rehydrate it.

And you do actually have a lid right? You just took it off for the pic I'm hoping?

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Europe
    #27055312 - 11/24/20 12:42 PM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Quote:

EagerNoob42 said:
dude you are in desperate need of several more inches of perlite. You need 4-5 inches total in there. My perlite takes up half the tub and I still have to spray it down every day to rehydrate it.

And you do actually have a lid right? You just took it off for the pic I'm hoping?

And get yourself a hygrometer, the RH got to be 80% or more all the time

I got this one which is doing fine so far

--------------------
Ask not what your shrooms can do for you, ask what you can do for your shrooms.

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: White Thick Layer growing on Cake. Not fuzzy. [Re: Shroombitz]
    #27055317 - 11/24/20 12:47 PM (1 month, 22 days ago)

Mine is constantly at 99% in my SGFC, unless I remove the lid and mist

--------------------
Ask not what your shrooms can do for you, ask what you can do for your shrooms.

OfflineEagerNoob42
Trying my best
Male

Re: White Thick Layer growing on Cake. Not fuzzy. [Re: Shroombitz] * 1
    #27055628 - 11/24/20 04:32 PM (1 month, 21 days ago)

Those cheap digital hygrometers aren't suitable for shrooms. They don't read accurately at high humidity.

Luckily I have a high end digital probe/controller that my roommate gave me from his canna grow since he didnt need it anymore, and it works great,  but everyone here will tell you either:

A) to not use ANY hygrometer and learn to read what your myc/fruits need with just your eyes, OR

B)if you aren't confident enough in your ability to guage conditions by eye, or you just want the extra peace of mind, its recommended to get an ANALOG hygrometer from a cigar shop (or Amazon) since they don't break down and give false readings even at 100% humidity.

Just saying cuz i literally just got done dealing with lots of issues because of a shitty digi one that was giving me false 99% readings constantly,  and the mods here all told me to toss it in the trash and start reading up on what to look for.

The humidity in the chamber is not nearly as important as the surface humidity of your cake/substrate.

Cubes grow from evaporation of surface humidity, so you can sit a cake on your nightstand and grow fruits just fine, as long as you mist it every time it dries out (and bottom watering probably wouldn't hurt in that scenario either)

Now all that being said, I'm only on my second grow and im just parroting  things i've been reading here over the past few weeks and months from our trusty mods.

Shout out to Pasty, Bod, and LC for helping me recently with my struggles and questions.

💜✌😋🤘💜

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#27055953 - 11/24/20 08:17 PM (1 month, 21 days ago)

Any hygrometer in a small tub is gonna read wrong. They're really only useful for rooms/tents when they aren't thrown off by the high moisture content at a sub's surface and constantly read +90%.

For tubs, it's maybe useful as a room gauge so you have an idea what the ambient rh in the room is at certain times of year, and gives you an idea how much your sub's evaporating water. Still no substitute for eyeballing your tubs though.

OfflineEagerNoob42
Trying my best
Male

Re: White Thick Layer growing on Cake. Not fuzzy. [Re: LtLurker]
    #27056391 - 11/25/20 12:49 AM (1 month, 21 days ago)

Analogs are perfectly suited for grow chamber sized spaces. They're designed for much smaller spaces actually, specifically cigar boxes, as well as cigar. cabinets roughly the same size of FCs/tubs or slightly larger.

Not to be the guy who thinks he knows more than a 5k+ poster, but I'm pretty sure the analogs are damn near infallible because of the very simple elegant way it uses elementary physics to calculate conditions.

Disclaimer: I also didn't sleep last night and took a xanax earliDr so I could definitely be a lot more lucid than I am right now.

Love y'all. I Always welcome respectful disagreements and discourse, and I'm always willing to concede when presented with new evidence.
Anyways, its time for a dab and a nap.

✌😪🤘

OfflineEagerNoob42
Trying my best
Male

#27056397 - 11/25/20 12:56 AM (1 month, 21 days ago)

Also the digi one im using is an exception because its a really fancy expensive one specifically for grow tent/martha cultivation that I was gifted by a friend. Designed for small confined spaces with a shielded probe so the controller is outsidethe chamber

OfflineEagerNoob42
Trying my best
Male

#27056406 - 11/25/20 01:09 AM (1 month, 21 days ago)

Quote:

EagerNoob42 said:
Also the digi one im using is an exception because its a really fancy expensive one specifically for grow tent/martha cultivation that I was gifted by a friend. Designed for small confined spaces with a shielded probe so the controller is outsidethe chamber

And even then I absolutely dont use it as my sole indicator of humidity. If its off at all its only by maybe a percent in either direction, but I still doubt that.
i just peek at it every once in a while since the display is in eyesight of my bed.

It bounces between about 93.3 and 97.6 and if it drops below 85 I just mist the perlite a bit, look at the fruits, and if the fruits look dry I give em a light spritz

💜✌😁🤘💜

Love yall

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#27056715 - 11/25/20 10:19 AM (1 month, 21 days ago)

Disagreement is fine. I'm just saying it's much more useful to read a substrate with your eyes, instead of reading a 95-99rh and trying to decide to mist off that when the subs already getting pretty dry. Developing your eye is gonna benefit you way more than trying to rely on a hygrometer for individual tubs.

Quality of hygrometer isn't realy the issue. They're always gonna read 90+ sitting right at a moist surface until it's pretty dry, it's not an evenly spread rh in a tub like it is in a cigar box.

OfflineSocrateshroom
сталкер

Loc: Underworld
    #27056966 - 11/25/20 01:04 PM (1 month, 20 days ago)

Quote:

LtLurker said:
Any hygrometer in a small tub is gonna read wrong. They're really only useful for rooms/tents when they aren't thrown off by the high moisture content at a sub's surface and constantly read +90%.

For tubs, it's maybe useful as a room gauge so you have an idea what the ambient rh in the room is at certain times of year, and gives you an idea how much your sub's evaporating water. Still no substitute for eyeballing your tubs though.

Quote:

LtLurker said:
Disagreement is fine. I'm just saying it's much more useful to read a substrate with your eyes, instead of reading a 95-99rh and trying to decide to mist off that when the subs already getting pretty dry. Developing your eye is gonna benefit you way more than trying to rely on a hygrometer for individual tubs.

Quality of hygrometer isn't realy the issue. They're always gonna read 90+ sitting right at a moist surface until it's pretty dry, it's not an evenly spread rh in a tub like it is in a cigar box.

:whathesaid:

I use a hygrometer to read my room. Helps me understand how temperature outside tubs affects evaporation/humidity inside tubs when introduced to FAE (and helps me dial in my tubes better). It's also useful if you don't have some sort of electronic/central heat system and are controlling your room temperature manually via something like a radiator.

Otherwise, it really won't tell you much from inside the tub as mentioned above.

Learning to use your eyes for recognizing proper surface conditions is mandatory.

--------------------
“The game is not about becoming somebody, it’s about becoming nobody.”

- Ram Dass

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Hygrometer, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started