Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance
    #27045381 - 11/18/20 11:26 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance
filtermag.org

The Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) is looking to expand its anti-diversion surveillance infrastructure by being able to search and analyze myriad patient behaviors for the vast majority of controlled and scheduled drug prescriptions—all accompanied by a rapid process for legally unveiling personally identifying information.

In early September, the agency requested proposals for the creation of software capable of searching at least 85 percent of all US residents’ controlled-substance prescriptions for certain patient behaviors, as well as prescriber and pharmacist practices.

According to the agency’s request for proposal (RFP), the DEA is interested in its agents having “unlimited access to patient de-identified data” on re/filled prescriptions, daily supply, payment type, dosing information and gender, among other characteristics, until at least 2025.

At publication time, the DEA had not responded to Filter‘s request for comment. This article will be updated if comment is received.

The Pharmacy Prescription Data system, as the RFP calls it, would cede patient-level data to the federal drug-war agency to a far greater extent than comparable existing databases. The current Automated Reports and Consolidated Orders System (ARCOS), created by the Controlled Substances Act alongside the DEA itself, only monitors controlled substances’ manufacture, supply chains and distribution.

The DEA’s desired ability to search controlled-substance prescriptions to this degree targets seemingly mundane behaviors—like the number of times a patient paid in cash for a Schedule II substance like Adderall or OxyContin, or the geographic distances between patients and their prescribers and pharmacies.

But it also subjects people prescribed medications for opioid use disorder (OUD) to even more surveillance than is currently the case. In particular, the Pharmacy Prescription Data system would allow the DEA to track patients by their “Number of Opiate and Buprenorphine combinations.”

Buprenorphine patients’ records have already been available to some state law enforcement, if such agencies operate a state’s prescription drug monitoring program (PMDP). As of August 2020, a new federal regulation permits patients’ methadone records to be entered into state PMDPs by providers.

PDMPs’ capabilities are a patchwork in comparison to the streamlined Pharmacy Prescription Data system requested by the DEA. For example, PDMPs’ data refresh at varying intervals by state, ranging from real-time to daily to weekly updates, as Dr. Peter Kreiner, a senior scientist at Brandeis University’s Institute for Behavioral Health, explained to Filter. The DEA’s software would involve data refreshed each day.

Scrutiny of OUD treatments will also be applied to prescribers and pharmacists. For the former, the DEA will be able to scrutinize their “percentage of patients receiving an Opioid and Buprenorphine together,” and, for the latter, the “Number of Oxycodone and Buprenorphine within an overlapping window” and “Percentage of scripts that are Oxy Buprenorphine within an overlapping window.”

“The impact of including buprenorphine will be appalling for people’s health,” Dr. Hannah Cooper, the chair of substance use disorder research at Emory University, told Filter. Applying more scrutiny to an already stigmatized medication could deter patients from accessing it and pharmacists from providing it, she said. That would add onto pharmacists’ existing hesitations, or oughtright refusal, to supply buprenorphine, which has been linked by Cooper and colleagues to existing DEA regulations.

Although the Pharmacy Prescription Data system will track individual patients with unique “encrypted identifiers,” the chosen contractor must be able to facilitate a three-business-day retrieval of personally identifying patient information when served with an administrative subpoena by the DEA.

The DEA has a history of exploiting administrative subpoenas to build a mass surveillance apparatus. Pre-dating—and outlasting—the National Security Agency’s infamous bulk telephone metadata collection revealed by whistleblower Edward Snowden, one DEA program, launched in 1992 and apparently still kicking, gathers international phone call data en masse.

The drug-war agency used its administrative subpoena power, according to a 2019 DEA inspector general report, to “collect data in bulk without making a prior finding that the records were […] ‘relevant or material’ to any specific defined investigation”, and it failed to develop “a robust legal review” of its practices. The watchdog agency called the DEA’s conduct “troubling.”

“The idea that patient-level data is available to the DEA is quite frightening. We don’t want to make people worry that their decisions will be monitored by this highly punitive federal agency,” said Cooper. “If you’ve been inhabiting a space where you’ve been persecuted by the federal government for some time, and they now have access to your private medical information, there will be tremendous consequences for population health and health equity.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStudy The CNS
Anecdotal Subtext

Loc: Mexico Flag
Re: DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance [Re: Ythan] * 1
    #27045582 - 11/18/20 01:48 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

The DEA must be de-funded and prosecuted for violating the constitution as well as patient privacy laws. You Americans always take it up the a** when it comes to employees of the government. They are just doing business, seeking money and adventure against people in general. When will you lazy Americans stand up united against these slave-masters?

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance [Re: Ythan]
    #27045843 - 11/18/20 04:16 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Next thing you know, they'll want access to your full medical records and medical history. And any case notes doctors have on you. And the full history of every prescription you've ever had and every doctor visit you've ever gone to, and what happened during those.

Hell, why not just video tape every visit, because I'm sure the DEA would love to have that too!

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance [Re: nooneman] * 1
    #27045925 - 11/18/20 04:57 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I don't see how this doesn't violate HIPAA, but that's the problem with GOP obstructionism going back over 20 years that has allowed republican presidents, and especially Trump, to fill our judiciary with partisan extremists while blocking even moderates from being appointed to the bench.

Even when government agencies are clearly violating the law and/or constitution, you have to have a sensible judge to stop them.

It's laughable that the right are the ones constantly complaining about activist judges failing to uphold the constitution, when their judges always fail to uphold the right of the common man and only invoke the constitution in order to come down on the side of corporations(who they believe possess "personhood" under the law).

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance [Re: Study The CNS]
    #27045933 - 11/18/20 05:04 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Study The CNS said:
The DEA must be de-funded and prosecuted for violating the constitution as well as patient privacy laws. You Americans always take it up the a** when it comes to employees of the government. They are just doing business, seeking money and adventure against people in general. When will you lazy Americans stand up united against these slave-masters?

It's not like people aren't trying...our government is set up for minority rule. Because when the system was created we were largely an agrarian society, and agriculture was the driving force of our economy.

This is obvious with the Senate, but even the House and Electoral College over represent smaller populations...for small states it may be one rep/electoral vote per 100,000, hypothetically, people but for larger states its one per every 250,000. Progressives and Democrats receive a FAR larger number of votes each election year, even in mid-terms, but those votes are concentrated in a smaller number of districts/states.

And the Supreme Court has recently ruled that gerrymandering, using demographic information, is perfectly legal as long as the goal is to disenfranchise the opposing parties voters and not minorities in and of themselves.

I can't see the US ever fixing its problem without a parliamentary system, or at the very, very least making gerrymandering with partisan intent illegal along with real campaign finance reform and public financing of campaigns..

Edited by Holybullshit (11/18/20 05:30 PM)

OfflineVP123
Strange
Male

Loc: Midwest
Re: DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance [Re: Holybullshit]
    #27046091 - 11/18/20 06:36 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

In the meantime, companies like PurduePharma can do anything they want and avoid scrutiny until there was a point when it was impossible to hide the death bodies.

OfflineCamwritesgonzo
The Unflushable Stool
Male User Gallery

Loc: On Uranus Flag
Re: DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance [Re: VP123]
    #27046849 - 11/19/20 07:56 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
"I've always maintained that reality is for those who can't face drugs."-Tom Waits
"I feel the same way about disco as I feel about herpes."-Hunter S. Thompson
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

InvisibleBarnaby
Interesting lifetime
Male

Re: DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance [Re: Ythan]
    #27046932 - 11/19/20 08:50 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Depressing reading that as the U.S. turns into China.  Fuck the D.E.A.  The positive to negative is overwhelming.

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance [Re: Barnaby]
    #27046983 - 11/19/20 09:41 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Honestly I think this is good. All that over-prescribin Oxycontin, Pharmacies selling a million doses a month? That aint good.

--------------------
"to affirm life is to also affirm death"
-Albert hofmann

OfflineCamwritesgonzo
The Unflushable Stool
Male User Gallery

Re: DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance [Re: polaritymind] * 2
    #27047134 - 11/19/20 11:01 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

polaritymind said:
Honestly I think this is good. All that over-prescribin Oxycontin, Pharmacies selling a million doses a month? That aint good.

Right, because we all know that people are completely devoid of all ability to decide whether or not they want to take the meds they're prescribed or even whether or not they want the prescription before it's written. It's much better to treat people like children.  :rolleyes:
How about educating people about what they're being prescribed instead of putting everyone who is on meds under surveillance like a bunch of fucking criminals.

--------------------
"I've always maintained that reality is for those who can't face drugs."-Tom Waits

InvisibleStudy The CNS
Anecdotal Subtext

Loc: Mexico Flag
Re: DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance [Re: Camwritesgonzo]
    #27047171 - 11/19/20 11:18 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I have 3 questions for everyone, regardless of what nation (or territory) you reside in:

1. Do you truthfully feel your government employees are treating you with dignity and respect?
2. Do you truthfully feel you are secure in working with your documents and possessions, including what goes into your body?
3. Do you truthfully feel that your government employees respect your privacy in every aspect of life, as you desire it?

OfflineCamwritesgonzo
The Unflushable Stool
Male User Gallery

#27047229 - 11/19/20 11:50 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Study The CNS said:
I have 3 questions for everyone, regardless of what nation (or territory) you reside in:

1. Do you truthfully feel your government employees are treating you with dignity and respect?
2. Do you truthfully feel you are secure in working with your documents and possessions, including what goes into your body?
3. Do you truthfully feel that your government employees respect your privacy in every aspect of life, as you desire it?

No, no, and no. That's why I don't think the DEA should have any more clearance to invade the lives of the people any further than it already does. If anything, DEA agents should get bullets in their guts.

--------------------

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance [Re: polaritymind]
    #27047589 - 11/19/20 03:44 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Besides the principal of the whole thing, the violation of privacy, the erosion of freedom...its legitimate patients who end up suffering because of it, as at best all this does is push more addicts to the black market and towards heroin/fentanyl, while people suffer because they are under-prescribed and under treated.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
    #27047590 - 11/19/20 03:45 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

It's not really about government "employees", its government policy that's the problem. Handed down by elected officials and political appointees.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

#27049756 - 11/21/20 12:48 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

DEA: we already started an opioid epidemic. Working on benzo epidemic right now. Just wait for all the flu-xxxx problems

Already people are withdrawing and nurses don’t even know what substances

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineskOsH
Functionally dysfunctional
 User Gallery

Loc: the PNW
Re: DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance [Re: Fractal420]
    #27050545 - 11/21/20 02:29 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Why do they want this information? And what information exactly? They want to know when patients are refilling their prescriptions? I don't understand why?

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance [Re: skOsH] * 1
    #27050615 - 11/21/20 03:35 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

To look for patterns that indicate diversion or abuse. It's really just a power grab, totally unnecessary, pharmacists already do this and the DEA already has all the info and tools they need to know when pharmacists aren't.

It's just going to scare pharmacists and doctors to be more strict and wary of prescribing and dispensing bupe, and as indicated in the article this has the potential to be very detrimental to patients. We need to be make obtaining bupe easier, not harder.

But in the eyes of the anti-drug zealots who run the DEA, there is no such thing as legitimate suboxone use. They don't give a fuck about the pain and and catastrophic events(like not being able to work or take care of their children) that can result from a patient going even one day without their suboxone dose.

InvisibleBarnaby
Interesting lifetime
Male

#27050977 - 11/21/20 06:51 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

"DEA already has all the info and tools they need to know when pharmacists aren't."

Amen to that.  Tis the truth.

OfflineskOsH
Functionally dysfunctional
 User Gallery

Loc: the PNW
    #27053959 - 11/23/20 01:37 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
To look for patterns that indicate diversion or abuse. It's really just a power grab, totally unnecessary, pharmacists already do this and the DEA already has all the info and tools they need to know when pharmacists aren't.

It's just going to scare pharmacists and doctors to be more strict and wary of prescribing and dispensing bupe, and as indicated in the article this has the potential to be very detrimental to patients. We need to be make obtaining bupe easier, not harder.

But in the eyes of the anti-drug zealots who run the DEA, there is no such thing as legitimate suboxone use. They don't give a fuck about the pain and and catastrophic events(like not being able to work or take care of their children) that can result from a patient going even one day without their suboxone dose.

That is incredibly frustrating. Suboxone was developed as the "answer" from big pharma about very high levels of pain. Now DEA wants to crack down on it? Doesn't surprise me in the least. It's none of their business, I mean, patients have the right to confidentiality, and as you said, pharmacists already do help the patients.

Definitely a power grab. I know a lot of people who take suboxone and it is what they need to be able to do everything they normally would be able to do like others can do who don't have pain troubles.

OfflineGermanShaman
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: DEA Pursues Vast Expansion of Patient Surveillance [Re: Camwritesgonzo]
    #27054922 - 11/24/20 04:42 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

This is seriously scarly....

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale