Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinehob hayward
noob
Help with surface conditions and moisture in shoeboxes during colonization?
    #27052356 - 11/22/20 04:25 PM (2 months, 2 days ago)

Hello friends, it's been 8 years since my first and last effort. Seems like a lot of development has been made over the last 8 years, which is very cool! Most of what I have followed is Bod's stuff.

Anyways, noob questions for y'all if you don't mind. I have researched this and read the surface conditions thread but analyzing surface conditions seems a bit nebulous. Input would be appreciated.

My process for these

Agar - > oats -> shoebox @ 2qt grain : 2qt coir
              -> g2g (damn they colonize fast!)

• I have the shoeboxes in a cooler with a lightbulb as a heater (wrapped in foil so it's not putting out light)/temp controller set to 75F. My grain jars are also in the same cooler as they seem much happier colonizing that way. Ambient indoor temps are low 60's these days which may or may not be fine for the tubs.
  • Coir was hydrated according to the boiling hot water in a cooler method and I used 5:1 ratio of water to coir with a nice looking garden store brick (3400g water to 680g brick). I did noticed the instructions with the brick said to use 5L of water, but that's for plants, not mushrooms, so who knows. I'm not 100% on what proper field capacity looks like but I would say it almost felt dry until I squeezed it hard and water would drip out.
  • Anyways - there has been a lot of moisture on the walls of the tub, as well as the lids - which was concerning me as it sounds like moisture on the walls could result in side pinning. I initially thought the top surface looked a bit dry but there was so much moisture inside (as evidenced by the walls) that I figured I would wait until colonization was complete before fucking with it.
  • The substrate does appear to be shrinking a bit which tells me it's drying out (I think?)

11/14
bulked to shoeboxes

11/16

11/19

11/21 I wiped some of the excess water off of the lid and upper side walls of the boxes with a clean paper towel.

11/22 they appear to be shrinking a bit, which surprises me as there seems to be a lot of moisture inside..

There are some of these crazy looking mycelial growth things coming up. This tubs seems wispier as well..

I feel like things are going well, but it seems like it's time to mist? What do y'all think? I have another 6 jars that I am going to bulk to a 65qt unmodified tub today (they grew so fast and I just don't know what to do with them haha) so if my coir was underhydrated or overhydrated I definitely want to get that right for the mono.

Thanks!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: Help with surface conditions and moisture in shoeboxes during colonization? [Re: hob hayward]
    #27052441 - 11/22/20 05:34 PM (2 months, 2 days ago)

Start here. https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24038695

Why are they in a cooler? Why are you blocking light? Shoeboxes are simply set and forget. Get 12/12 light going, any Temps roughly room temp is enough, allow that air to flow, loosen lid if water is pooling.

Looks fine so far. Can take roughly 2 weeks for pins.

OfflineTheBoJim
Strangest
 User Gallery

Re: Help with surface conditions and moisture in shoeboxes during colonization? [Re: LtLurker]
    #27053238 - 11/23/20 02:13 AM (2 months, 1 day ago)

leave them alone. stop wiping the lids and sides. if your spawn is clean they will fruit ok. they look good so far. there are a few videos on what proper FC and surface conditions should look like

--------------------

Offlinehob hayward
noob
Re: Help with surface conditions and moisture in shoeboxes during colonization? [Re: TheBoJim]
    #27064604 - 11/30/20 03:02 PM (1 month, 25 days ago)

Thanks guys, yes a classic noob sitch here with the typical overthinking haha. Took your advice- left them alone, gave them some time, out of the cooler and they are looking basically the same as last week. They were in a bright indirectly sunlit location the last week.

To my uneducated eye they still look healthy, but they haven't really changed in any obvious way.

They have shrunk a touch, but clearly aren't dried out. They aren't really being lit from above, as the opaque lid is problematic there, I might put some lighting directly on the lid. Is there a typical solution there that I have missed? I know bod uses those clear lids, which seems pretty obvious, but most shoeboxes seem to have white lids - go to a bag?

I've got a mono that I started 11/24 that is coming along just like these, hoping if there's something I missed on these that I could correct it for the mono.

Edited by hob hayward (11/30/20 03:09 PM)

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Re: Help with surface conditions and moisture in shoeboxes during colonization? [Re: hob hayward]
    #27064666 - 11/30/20 03:34 PM (1 month, 25 days ago)

I can't see any issues. There's some knots starting to form. I'd leave it alone and let it go.

Offlinehob hayward
noob
Re: Help with surface conditions and moisture in shoeboxes during colonization? [Re: LtLurker]
    #27067928 - 12/02/20 12:15 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Thanks man, I didn't notice those until you mentioned it, they poppin up all over now.

I noticed last night for the first time that there isn't beaded up moisture on top. There is still moisture on the walls. Time to mist?

Thanks!

OfflineTheBoJim
Strangest
 User Gallery

#27068463 - 12/02/20 05:22 PM (1 month, 23 days ago)

Pins are coming soon! Not sure if it’s time to mist, but if you do don’t overdo it . Wall moisture doesn’t mean much it’s all about the surface conditions.

--------------------

Offlinehob hayward
noob
Re: Help with surface conditions and moisture in shoeboxes during colonization? [Re: TheBoJim]
    #27077286 - 12/07/20 05:08 PM (1 month, 18 days ago)

At +23 days now and still no pins, I was misting but realized there was too much water, poured/absorbed it out. Kinda letting them chill now. Smells like mushrooms.. Reckon I need to just keep being patient lol. The light is a 10W LED so it's not heating up the lids..

Am I doing anything obviously wrong?

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#27077464 - 12/07/20 07:39 PM (1 month, 17 days ago)

This is the hardest part. the wait. Everything looks fine, knots still forming. Not much you can really do.

Offlinehob hayward
noob
Re: Help with surface conditions and moisture in shoeboxes during colonization? [Re: LtLurker] * 1
    #27089583 - 12/14/20 11:29 PM (1 month, 10 days ago)

Thanks! Finally getting some pins, however none of them are on the top and most of them are growing off the walls like this 😂. Seems like my conditions must be off on the top of they're so dedicated as to grow above the surface.. 🤔

Edited by hob hayward (12/14/20 11:34 PM)

Offlinehob hayward
noob
    #27113083 - 12/28/20 10:50 PM (27 days, 19 hours ago)

Finally harvested a few last night, they sure seem to grow slowly. Debating whether I should harvest the rest that can be and pluck the pins and then soak the sub and shoot for better surface conditions for the second flush? Thoughts? One the tubs seems much more productive than the other. Also getting a lot of side pins so debating putting them in a larger container to let those grow out.

Offlinewizardwoodent
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27113099 - 12/28/20 11:02 PM (27 days, 19 hours ago)

Hey man. I'm fairly new to this hobby myself... but looking at your pics, I have to ask. Are these tubs getting any fresh air exchange? They look wrapped up tight in all the pics?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started