Home | Community | Message Board

DoubleBlind - Learn to Grow Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Amazon Dehydrator

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinealbird71
Stranger
Female
Under-DEHYDRATED ISSUES? Help!
    #27052938 - 11/22/20 10:39 PM (1 month, 28 days ago)

Hi! First time grower here.  Had a very successful first and second flush using PF TEK however, I am thinking I may have messed up my drying and freezing method. 

To get right to it, I harvested right AFTER the veils opened which is mistake #1, so I have read but not entirely the end of the world. Mistake number 2, I rinsed with water, patted dry and placed into the dehydrator on low heat, alternating with FAN mode and low heat for about 12 hours. They FELT dry? But now that I read after the fact, I know they were not "cracker dry". They went into the freezer and for the most part look sort of pathetic and feel a bit rubbery. Some have darkened significantly. I've now read NOT to rinse in water and not to use any heat to dry, just air.

My second flush was not as productive but I was able to harvest them before the veils pulled away from the cap and at this moment, they are in the dehydrator with just the fan on, about 12 hours in. I am waiting on that cracker dry I keep reading about. I can say this flush is much prettier and I am more hopeful.

So my question, did I wreck my first flush? Can they grow mold in the freezer? Should they be a little rubbery and darkening (brown/dark blue), even if frozen? Are they still good or is there a chance they've lost potency?

So many questions! Happy to post up pictures for feedback. Thanks!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Under-DEHYDRATED ISSUES? Help! [Re: albird71]
    #27053171 - 11/23/20 12:12 AM (1 month, 28 days ago)

Turn the heat setting on.. it’ll go faster and the heat isn’t going to do any harm.. if anything it’s going to be beneficial so they dry faster.. 24 hours in a dehydrator with the heat on (mine is set at 160f) is the standard these days to get that cracker dry... you can also pull the stems apart so air easily reaches the inside.. that can cut some time off that.

Faht

InvisibleApples in Mono
Not a puppet

Re: Under-DEHYDRATED ISSUES? Help! [Re: albird71]
    #27053233 - 11/23/20 02:04 AM (1 month, 28 days ago)

Yeah, no one has any problems with dehydrating at 160f. The actives won't degrade until well above boiling point- in fact i think they can withstand something like 300f+.

And they'll always seem cracker dry before they truly are. This is because the outside will fully dry before the very center can, so they'll snap just like cracker dry, but after they sit in a sealed container for a while that little bit of moisture in the center will become equalized throughout the fruit again, and so they'll become flexible again. That little bit of moisture is what will degrade your actives and promote mold germination.

I don't know how old they are but it doesn't sound like they should be moldy at all since you froze them. They might have lost some potency but you can always eat more. I've never freezed fruits before-wet or dry- not actually sure about how that might affect potency.

There's nothing wrong with harvesting after veils breaks. Lots of people do, but most just like to cut em down before they drop spores all over the place, but it's not actually a huge deal if they drop spores.

So you should be good to go with these frozen ones, and you don't even need to eat the fruitbodies if you don't want to. You can just break them up, boil them into a tea, and strain out the fruitbodies. The actives are highly water soluble and, like i said, they can withstand boiling temp no problem. In the future definitely just do like faht said and dehydrate the shit out of em on high heat, and then just store them in an airtight container in a closet or cupboard or some place like that. They'll potentially be good for years that way

Offlinealbird71
Stranger
Female
Re: Under-DEHYDRATED ISSUES? Help! [Re: Apples in Mono]
    #27065273 - 11/30/20 09:21 PM (1 month, 20 days ago)

Hey all! Thanks so much for all your feedback! Truly, needed to hear this. I think what's confusing is ALL the information out there and being a first time, just wanting to get down my method. So far, no complaints on the lack of potency concerns. :cool:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Amazon Dehydrator

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started