Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenothanksman
Therapist

Reddit is a Shitshow
    #27051609 - 11/22/20 08:24 AM (3 months, 4 days ago)

I'm pretty new to cultivation myself, but even I can tell that the r/MushroomGrowers subreddit is full of misinformation and bad technique.

If you're new, don't seek advice there. It's the blind leading the blind.

From what I can tell, all of the most popular and successful teks originated here, so if you've found the Shroomery, look no further and stay the fuck away from Reddit.

I do recommend searching for what you need with google and including "Shroomery" in your search. It's better than trying to use the in-site search function.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Reddit is a Shitshow [Re: nothanksman]
    #27051738 - 11/22/20 09:46 AM (3 months, 4 days ago)

The "in-site" or "internal" search function here at the Shroomery works great, but it takes a little more effort to fine tune the searches.

When I use it searching for cultivation advice (yes, I still occasionally think of cultivation questions to ask) I always check the "show post from trusted cultivators only" box, and that really weeds out a lot of the useless threads. I also usually check the "show only one thread per result" option when searching for a word or phrase.

Also, when you use google some threads won't show up because when you create a post at the shroomery.org you can deny google access to index your thread, but the internal search will reveal these threads.

Worth noting is that the shroomery.org took what information was available about p.cub and compiled it in an easily accessible website and then supplied a forum to discuss it; this has lead to an exponential growth of knowledge and interest in this esoteric art. I believe you have indeed sourced the most accurate information and the most capable individuals to help you complete your study goals concerning mushrooms. Welcome to the Shroomery!

:awecid:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

Offlinenothanksman
Therapist

Re: Reddit is a Shitshow [Re: george castanza]
    #27051800 - 11/22/20 10:31 AM (3 months, 4 days ago)

Quote:

george castanza said:
The "in-site" or "internal" search function here at the Shroomery works great, but it takes a little more effort to fine tune the searches.

When I use it searching for cultivation advice (yes, I still occasionally think of cultivation questions to ask) I always check the "show post from trusted cultivators only" box, and that really weeds out a lot of the useless threads. I also usually check the "show only one thread per result" option when searching for a word or phrase.

Also, when you use google some threads won't show up because when you create a post at the shroomery.org you can deny google access to index your thread, but the internal search will reveal these threads.

Oh damn, that's good to know. Filtering by trusted cultivators changes the game.

Yeah, I used to lurk around here way back in the day (like '03 or '04) but I never took cultivation seriously enough to actually try.

Recently I looked into it again and I'm glad I ended up back here because like I said, there's some bad info out there.

There's some good stuff on youtube these days, but most of it is just video versions of the teks that are on here or somebody trying to sell you supplies.

InvisibleLordKing
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Loc: Canada
    #27051918 - 11/22/20 11:37 AM (3 months, 4 days ago)

I would say more of us should go over there to correct the misinformation.  There's a lot of traffic there with people looking to get into the hobby and they should be guided in the right direction regardless of website that they use.

OfflineYumyumyumyum
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: Reddit is a Shitshow [Re: LordKing]
    #27051961 - 11/22/20 11:58 AM (3 months, 4 days ago)

You can get some good information here but also no information or wrong information due to lack of description. This site has been amazing in the year I have been at this. A big help for sure. What I found out is not one size fits all and starting with the known basics here is a good way to go. For me, I have tried many different things most worked, some did not. But most importantly it was personal learning. Without that you can read as many posts as you like but still fail. I have an old Reddit in my sig that has a ton of good information. Simple rules Patience, Sterile good, contam bad! TLC.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: Reddit is a Shitshow [Re: Yumyumyumyum]
    #27052429 - 11/22/20 04:23 PM (3 months, 4 days ago)

I think the biggest issue with that sub is it's just a big free for all. No TC's, no ratings, nothing. Seems like every popular misconception thrives there because nothing separates newbs from more serious learned cultivators.

Its also riskier. This site strips exif data from your images. Reddit doesn't.

OfflinePotDaddy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27052434 - 11/22/20 04:27 PM (3 months, 4 days ago)

Quote:

nothanksman said:
I'm pretty new to cultivation myself, but even I can tell that the r/MushroomGrowers subreddit is full of misinformation and bad technique.

If you're new, don't seek advice there. It's the blind leading the blind.

From what I can tell, all of the most popular and successful teks originated here, so if you've found the Shroomery, look no further and stay the fuck away from Reddit.

I do recommend searching for what you need with google and including "Shroomery" in your search. It's better than trying to use the in-site search function.

It is amazing the amount of bad info and People with Giant ego's over there!

Offlinenothanksman
Therapist

Re: Reddit is a Shitshow [Re: LtLurker]
    #27053447 - 11/23/20 07:46 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

LtLurker said:

I wasn't sure if this site stripped exif data or not so I've been doing it manually. Does it for sure?

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

#27053484 - 11/23/20 08:25 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Yup. There should be a little note on the upload page letting you know.

InvisibleLordKing
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Reddit is a Shitshow [Re: LtLurker] * 1
    #27053559 - 11/23/20 09:27 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

LtLurker said:
I think the biggest issue with that sub is it's just a big free for all. No TC's, no ratings, nothing. Seems like every popular misconception thrives there because nothing separates newbs from more serious learned cultivators.

Just tested it and there's no exif data on the image.

InvisibleLordKing
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#27053562 - 11/23/20 09:28 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

nothanksman said:
Quote:

LtLurker said:

I wasn't sure if this site stripped exif data or not so I've been doing it manually. Does it for sure?

I do it manually every time anyways.  Even on sites I trust.  Never know what a site might do with it behind the scenes, or if someone can somehow snatch it while in transit.

OfflineGermanShaman
Stranger
Re: Reddit is a Shitshow [Re: LordKing]
    #27054866 - 11/24/20 03:54 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

I agree. Reddit keeps banning me or pulling my threads for asking perfectly legit questions and the advice is worse than useless.

I have had a few successful grows as a result of advice from really wise folks here.  Although I do sense some people have a bit of a attitude here though!!!! There is a certain level of arrognace I feel from some people here but the advice is rock solid and it works.

OfflineRoscoeReturns
Stranger
Male

Loc: State of Confusion
Re: Reddit is a Shitshow [Re: GermanShaman]
    #27054952 - 11/24/20 06:28 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

GermanShaman said:

I have had a few successful grows as a result of advice from really wise folks here.  Although I do sense some people have a bit of a attitude here though!!!! There is a certain level of arrognace I feel from some people here but the advice is rock solid and it works.

I wouldn’t call it arrogance, frustration maybe. Personally I get tired of answering the same questions over, and over, and over, and over...

Anything that has been asked once is available for others to seek out and read. I get the feeling that many want personal hand holding, or immediate answers, or to take shortcuts. There is something to be said for those who put in the time and effort to learn a new skill, instead of just assuming a group of experienced growers are waiting here to help every newbie cut his teeth.

Just  :2cents:

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Re: Reddit is a Shitshow [Re: RoscoeReturns]
    #27055229 - 11/24/20 10:59 AM (3 months, 2 days ago)

Quote:

RoscoeReturns said:
Quote:

GermanShaman said:

I wouldn’t call it arrogance, frustration maybe. Personally I get tired of answering the same questions over, and over, and over, and over...

Just  :2cents:

For me i don't mind chipping at the common questions and giving the current link or giving a look at their pics. The ones that bug me are the ones that wanna argue but don't consider your response or links; particularly when it's new guys with bad directions or complicated ideas. It's like, you're here asking for help, I don't wanna read a paragraph about why you think your over complicated rig is gonna be great for the first grow.

OfflineGermanShaman
Stranger
Re: Reddit is a Shitshow [Re: RoscoeReturns]
    #27055259 - 11/24/20 11:09 AM (3 months, 2 days ago)

Quote:

Personally I get tired of answering the same questions over, and over, and over, and over...

I get that. It must be frustrating for the Gurus here.

Quote:

I get the feeling that many want personal hand holding, or immediate answers, or to take shortcuts.

True that....  I would say though, that one of the benefits of a forum like this is for the older wiser ones to share their knowledge and wisdom to help the younger up and coming ones so that they make the same mistakes.  There is no point in watching others suffer and make the same mistakes over and over and end up reinventing the wheel.

Of course if things have already been answered then just point to the answer. But then again we keep being told that "...Oh that is out of date... no one does that any more...." I have being told that about Gypsum and some of my other practices that caused a lot of problems for me.

No one is obliged to contribute here. I for one like to share knowledge to help those after me. But that is just me. not everyone is like that I suppose.

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Reddit is a Shitshow [Re: GermanShaman]
    #27056466 - 11/25/20 01:28 AM (3 months, 2 days ago)

At the end of the day there are hundreds of people here that are going to give you good cult advice, but it is always going to be up to the individual to take the advice and also put in the work, the odds of you finding the newest best shortcut on your first grow is slim to none, there really is no short cutting the process to a successful grow, but that doesn't stop the fact that there will always be people that have the need to do it their own way.

:cookiemonster:

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

OfflineGermanShaman
Stranger
Re: Reddit is a Shitshow [Re: george castanza]
    #27056565 - 11/25/20 05:27 AM (3 months, 2 days ago)

I hear you George. I agree that there is no short cutting.

Personally, what I am looking for here is to learn from those who have been there and done that and not repeat the mistakes they made.  Before coming here I wasted a lot of time and money.  I thought I could do things but did not really have a clue. Still dont know everything and am slowly learning things.  Fortunately I am not making as many mistakes and the number of jars lost to contam have now started to reduce. Managed to get a few small to medium grows under my belt and am slowly progressing onwards.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Gypsum

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started