Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineChardRich
chardzard
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Upper Left USA
Moisture in all my jars... Wtf
    #27040843 - 11/15/20 04:05 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Boys and girls,

Long time no see. After lots of success and pounds of mushrooms grown, I took a little break. I thought I had mastered mushroom cultivation. The agar was beautiful, the liquid cultures clean as could be, the oats were bone dry, and the mushrooms were sky high. I took the abundance for granted.

I bought a new place, took a break from growing and everything was paused. Since moving into this new place, I have had the most god awful luck growing. For starters, my agar has become contaminated at a much higher rate. Tends to be cobweb type mold that comes in from the edges. I used to maybe lose 1 out of every 10 plates, where I now lose 4-5/10. I can only assume there is more mold in this place? My SAB tek and sterilization is just as good or better as it previously was.

So nonetheless, I managed to get some clean plates with several transfers. As I had done previously, once the clean plates were grown out, I put the smallest pieces of agar into liquid cultures per mushboy's tek. A tek I had done countless times with no problem. I made three liquid cultures with my first batch of plates in the new place. I let the cultures grow. I poured when ready, saw nice myc growing in all my jars, and then days after shaking the jars, moisture took over.

I repeated the whole process, used probably 40 plates, got more clean ones, and made five liquid cultures. I let them grow, I poured them into bone dry oat jars, watched the myc grown, then a day after shaking, I have moisture in all my jars. So I am at a loss. I am quite disappointed and confused why I have had terrible luck here.

But ChardRich does not throw in the towel. I just ordered a $1000 laminar flow hood from phenominal phungi, 500 petri dishes and new spore prints.

As far as the moisture goes, I can only assume my problem is bacteria (no evidence on any plates), or temp fluctuations, my new place is not a very constant temp and it's been cold here. Any input would be really appreciated.

--------------------

Edited by ChardRich (11/15/20 04:07 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHikeadellic
Fungi Fan
Male

Loc: Appalachian Trail
Re: Moisture in all my jars... Wtf [Re: ChardRich]
    #27040882 - 11/15/20 04:31 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Make temps better, I've heard that frequently fluxuating temps promote bacteria

Is there a carpet in your new sab room? I think carpeted rooms have higher contam rates

Bigger room or smaller room? Airflow? Could the air system in the new place be less suitable for growing?

Still venting the PC? 90 mins @15psi

Are you sure that moisture after shaking is a super bad thing?

Maybe look into improving jar filter lids

OfflineChardRich
chardzard

Re: Moisture in all my jars... Wtf [Re: Hikeadellic]
    #27040911 - 11/15/20 04:50 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Yes, I can stabilize the temps.

90 min is too short. You need to go 120 to kill endospores.

Carpet in new SAB room, yes. I used to do it in my huge bathroom which I could clean perfectly before using.

Jar lids are fine, because I have let the jars sit un-inoculated with no contam.

Moisture like that means it's fucked (from lots of experience)

--------------------

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
    #27040919 - 11/15/20 04:53 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

It’s normal to see some moisture the first few days especially with temp swings.

--------------------
LAGM2020

OfflineChardRich
chardzard

Re: Moisture in all my jars... Wtf [Re: A.k.a]
    #27040939 - 11/15/20 05:05 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

See, I find that really interesting. I have seen some of Bod's early posts where he has jars with tons of moisture and to me, I think, oh, those are fucked, but then he grows these giant monos with them and the flushes are amazing, so maybe I am too quick to jump the gun with assuming they're fucked.

Do you have a flow hood, AKA?

The only successful grows I have had are when there is basically no moisture in the jars.

--------------------

Edited by ChardRich (11/15/20 05:06 PM)

OfflineHikeadellic
Fungi Fan
Male

Loc: Appalachian Trail
    #27041020 - 11/15/20 06:05 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I thought that when you soak your grain, the endospores come out of their shell and are vulnerable to 90min@15psi?

What is your grain prep method?

I think that moisture you are seeing is condensation from the temp swings

OfflineChardRich
chardzard

Re: Moisture in all my jars... Wtf [Re: Hikeadellic] * 1
    #27041032 - 11/15/20 06:10 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

No, 120 is the consensus for killing endospores.

Boil for 20 min, set out on tray overnight with fan to get them bone dry, throw in PC next day,

--------------------

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #27041618 - 11/16/20 05:25 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

There is no problem with seeing a little moisture in jars. The pic of the jar looks just fine.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

OfflineInthepit
Aum Mani Padme Hum
Male User Gallery

Loc: Puerto Rico
    #27041645 - 11/16/20 06:04 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ChardRich said:
Boil for 20 min, set out on tray overnight with fan to get them bone dry, throw in PC next day,

Well you sound pretty set on "bone dry" but, if you've been gone for awhile, you might want to check these out.

EAT’S EASY OAT PREP™
Crackatoa's easy oats Works great!

--------------------
:sporedrop: GLOSSARY  :sporedrop: ACROMYMS!   :sporedrop: GETTING STARTED :sporedrop:

OfflineChardRich
chardzard

#27051291 - 11/21/20 10:43 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Well, I would have considered these jars full of bacteria not too long ago, but hopefully I am wrong. Any thoughts on how it looks?

--------------------

OfflineTheBoJim
Strangest
 User Gallery

#27051325 - 11/21/20 11:25 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Have you grown out any of these “wet” jars?

--------------------

OfflineChardRich
chardzard

Re: Moisture in all my jars... Wtf [Re: TheBoJim]
    #27051328 - 11/21/20 11:28 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Nope, couple are almost ready to spawn, so I guess we shall see.

--------------------

Invisiblecoversall
إِنْ شَاءَ ٱللَهُ
 Unread Journal

Loc: संसार
Re: Moisture in all my jars... Wtf [Re: ChardRich] * 1
    #27051382 - 11/22/20 12:57 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Yolo those bad boys into a sub and see what happens!

I spent ages looking for the gif of the guy drinking fromthe can that said science but for whatever reason couldn't find it so you're just have to imagine that it's at the bottom of this post.

--------------------

..:: E V E R Y  ::..

..:: New? Start here. ::..
..:: How I Panaeolus. From Agar to Tea ::..

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #27051450 - 11/22/20 02:18 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ChardRich said:

Well, I would have considered these jars full of bacteria not too long ago, but hopefully I am wrong. Any thoughts on how it looks?

They don't look good to me. I could be wrong but I think it's only a matter of time and another shake for bacteria to show its ugly face.

I would switch grains. You have to remove variables and possible vectors one at a time and a grain switch is usually a good place to start.

Edited by Josex (11/22/20 07:21 AM)

Invisiblesandman420
Saint PP
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Moisture in all my jars... Wtf [Re: Josex]
    #27051460 - 11/22/20 03:05 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

They look just fine to me. Grew many mushrooms with jars that look just like that.

--------------------
- Sandbag Tek - How To Sterilize Spawn Bags - All About Static Pressure / Pressure Drop for DIY Flow Hoods - Sandman's LC Tek-

Marijuanaut escapes earth to cultivate - Grow-room is church temple of the new stoner breed

InvisibleJosex
#cheat_code
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Moisture in all my jars... Wtf [Re: sandman420]
    #27051466 - 11/22/20 03:24 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I don't doubt you could grow mushrooms from spawn like that, but I personally would not call it fine.

That type of condensation is a bit suspect, makes me think something's brewing and generating extra heat.

Myc doesn't look particularly bad or stressed right now but maybe it will if given enough time. I'd shake those jars at 100% to let them tell the tale.

Offlinesmalltalk_canceled
Babnik
 User Gallery

#27051515 - 11/22/20 05:36 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

:threadmonitor:

--------------------
Willpower is the one true virtue

Invisibleshroower

Loc: Europe
Re: Moisture in all my jars... Wtf [Re: smalltalk_canceled]
    #27051536 - 11/22/20 06:07 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

There's nothing wrong with those jars. Condensation like that is mostly due to temperature fluctuations. Bring them to 74F+ and watch all that disappear; drop it back down to 65F or so and you'll see it again. Initially it's just escaping from the hydrated grain, later it's also from mycelium respiration.

OfflineChardRich
chardzard

#27052103 - 11/22/20 12:32 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Josex said:
I don't doubt you could grow mushrooms from spawn like that, but I personally would not call it fine.

That type of condensation is a bit suspect, makes me think something's brewing and generating extra heat.

Myc doesn't look particularly bad or stressed right now but maybe it will if given enough time. I'd shake those jars at 100% to let them tell the tale.

See, I thought this too, and you very well may be right. Although, I went back and looked at Bod's oat prep tek guide to look at his jars. They are all as wet or more wet as mine, and he got awesome flushes. I don't think it's the grains at all. I prep them perfectly and let them sit through the same temp fluctuations before I inoculate them and there is almost no moisture, it's just when the myc is added.

I will say, when I have done my biggest grows, it was summer/spring so the temps were consistently between 70-82, it's cold up here, so the temps have been between 65-72. When the temps were higher, there was no moisture, and all my teks were identical.

I will spawn them in the next couple days and give progress updates because I am very curious to see what they grow. I should say I made 5 LC's with a few different clean plates, and they all are producing the exact same moisture content in the jars.

--------------------

OfflineKizzle
Misanthrope
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27052861 - 11/22/20 07:44 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I will say, when I have done my biggest grows, it was summer/spring so the temps were consistently between 70-82, it's cold up here, so the temps have been between 65-72. When the temps were higher, there was no moisture, and all my teks were identical.

The amount of condensation will vary depending on the temperature difference inside and outside the jar. The mycelium starts produce a significant amount of heat as it grows so it's normal to start seeing it as jar becomes colonized.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds