Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRhazul
Stranger
 User Gallery
Blue mold in my substrate ?
    #27047906 - 11/19/20 07:59 PM (8 days, 9 hours ago)

Hey all, new here and new to growing. I have recently inoculated my substrate with my fully matured grain spawn. There were no visible contaminates in my mycelium, and it smelled great. My substrate cultivation room has proper humidity and heat and is sealed off from the rest of the building with a double door entrance system. I seem to be getting spots of blue mold on my substrate mixed in with the rapidly growing mycelium. My substrate was pasteurized at 160-180 degrees for 2-3 hours. Any tips on where this could be coming from? I’m scratching my head. As of now about 1/3 of my tubs have the mold spots. I’ll attach a picture

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Blue mold in my substrate ? [Re: Rhazul]
    #27047969 - 11/19/20 08:43 PM (8 days, 8 hours ago)

Looks like early stage of trich. If it is you will know in a day or 2.

OfflineRhazul
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Blue mold in my substrate ? [Re: CocaineBuffet]
    #27048033 - 11/19/20 09:34 PM (8 days, 8 hours ago)

What could be causing this? Is there any way to kill it in the early stage?

OfflinePBJ710
Strangler

#27048097 - 11/19/20 10:35 PM (8 days, 7 hours ago)

Trich - if it's showing up before your first flush, your culture was likely contaminated (yes even if it looked white on grains it can be contaminated).  Put your culture on agar and clean it up before transferring it to grains.

Smell is a poor indicator of mushroom health - it can ONLY show you if you there are major problems.  By the time you can smell anything wrong, it's usually too far gone to do anything about.

If you don't already have established pins, I would toss it and get some agar going.  If you have pins, ride it out as long as you can to get some clone material/prints then get some agar going.

OfflineRhazul
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Blue mold in my substrate ? [Re: PBJ710]
    #27048126 - 11/19/20 11:04 PM (8 days, 6 hours ago)

Yes i started with agar and everything seemed fine up until I went grain to substrate. What do you mean by clean up the culture and go back to agar?

OfflinePBJ710
Strangler

#27048232 - 11/20/20 01:18 AM (8 days, 4 hours ago)

That culture isn't clean if it's triching out that quickly - there's not even any knots on the surface, so I'm guessing it's only been spawned for a week or so. 

Were the jars really bacterial maybe?  How many agar transfers did you make and do you have any pictures of the dishes or spawn jars?  How about the details of what got you to this point?

OfflineSpaceBaby
Stranger
Re: Blue mold in my substrate ? [Re: PBJ710]
    #27048519 - 11/20/20 09:20 AM (7 days, 20 hours ago)

I have read that small spots of mold can be killed with a UV-C light wand. The UV-C does not affect the mycellium. I have not tried this myself.
I'm very new to cultivation. I have just started with BRF cakes and will be transitioning to mono tubs soon.

If I am wrong. I'm sure some kind soul will tell me. 🥸

OfflineCocaineBuffet
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Blue mold in my substrate ? [Re: SpaceBaby]
    #27048986 - 11/20/20 02:39 PM (7 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

SpaceBaby said:
I have read that small spots of mold can be killed with a UV-C light wand. The UV-C does not affect the mycellium. I have not tried this myself.
I'm very new to cultivation. I have just started with BRF cakes and will be transitioning to mono tubs soon.

If I am wrong. I'm sure some kind soul will tell me. 🥸

I have not heard of anyone doing that.

If your substrate has trich and no pins the best option is to throw it out. Trich grows way faster than mycelium and it is always going to be a losing battle. Just cut the loss

Offlineneonero
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27050422 - 11/21/20 01:47 PM (6 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

Rhazul said:
Yes i started with agar and everything seemed fine up until I went grain to substrate. What do you mean by clean up the culture and go back to agar?

Just the same happend to me. I trashed it all, and started over again with spores to agar. You just have to try again.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started