Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Gypsum, Hot Plate, Hygrometer, Injection Ports, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Europe
How to start growing with a grow kit as a n00b - KISS (WIP) * 1
    #27049864 - 11/21/20 06:51 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

The first time growing mushrooms feels like a daunting task to do. If you are like me, you are excited, impatient and inexperienced in most likely all of the steps involved.

With this guide I want to give back some of the knowledge I got by reading the forum and the help and work of many awesome people. A word of warning, I'm still considering myself a n00b, so my guide does not claim to be perfect nor final, but rather as WIP. I do appreciate all possible help from more experienced cultivators to make it even better. So here is my approach to get started in a way that worked quite well for me so far.

First, you gonna need to buy a grow kit from a reliable vendor that offers free replacement kits when the kit turns out to be contaminated (I got mine from www.zamnesia.com, a sponsor of this site).
As far as I can tell, size and variety (don't call it strain!) doesn't really matter, all of them should usually be of the same family - psilocybe cubensis. So you may just go for the best offer you can get. I bought a 1200ml B+ 'Fresh' kit (it was on sale thou, when I ordered it), which is working quite well (see pics). Smaller grow kits should be fine too.

I have come to the understanding that those grow kits aren't available in North America, so to follow this guide one would need to order a grow kit in Europe and ship it over, which in theory should be fine for the cake as long as temperatures are low, legally that's maybe a different story :chaingang:

Some may warn you about expensive grow kits and recommend you to do your homework and do it from the scratch. How I see things, it is going to be the only grow kit that you ever need to buy and you want to make your first grow to give you a good rewarding learning experience by being as fail proof and fun as possible.

With a grow kit you will get a substrate already colonized by Mycelium for like 40-50$ bucks (mine was in a nice reusable container), on the other side you would need:

• Spores in a syringe (multi spore syringe MS(S)) or even make one from a print - 20-25$ incl. shipping
  • Substrate - brown rice flour (BRF) + vermiculite + gypsum 5$+
  • A container with gas exchange (GE) and a self healing injection port (SHIP) 2-3$
  • A still air box (SAB) and a good sterile working technique for inoculating the substrate 5$+
  • Preferably a pressure cooker (PC) for sterilization of the substrate
  • The patience, knowledge and confidence to do all of the steps and techniques above and a higher risk of failing (provided choosing a reliable vendor)

IMHO it is worth the money to buy a grow kit, but don't get me wrong, I recommend it just as a one time experience. Afterwards you should do it from the scratch by cloning one of your finest shrooms to agar and/or taking a spore print.

Putting that behind you further gonna need:

• A tub, I recommend it to be at least 45, rather 60 liters to build a shot gun fruiting chamber (SGFC) (I made mine by using a soldering iron, it worked like a charm)
  • Perlite to fill your SGFC with 10cm / 4inch or more - I got 20 liters for my 60 liters tub
  • A misting bottle for plants
  • Tin foil or liner
  • Optional get a hygrometer (mine was like 12$), they are known for not being overly reliable or exact, but for the purpose of learning I would recommend it
  • DON'T buy a heat mat

Now what you wanna do is ordering the grow kit and while waiting for it to get delivered build that SGFC.

Once the kit arrives you wanna check it for contaminations, remove the lid and put it in the grow bag that should be provided with the kit. For doing so best use a still air box (SAB) and work as clean as possible. If you got a good box with GE you probably also get away by just leaving the lid on.

Grow kit as delivered:

Grow kit in the grow bag (as far as I can tell, it doesn't matter for our purpose if the grow bag is folded underneath the box or upright, as long as it is closed to keep contaminates out and RH high):

Now store the box at room temperature around 20-23 C°, out of direct sunlight and give the Mycelium time for full colonization of the substrate and consolidation. Depending on the state of colonization this should take a couple of days up to two weeks.

What is happening now is that the Mycelium is growing as much as it can until it runs out of space. Because of that the cake is going into fruiting stage to build fruiting bodies for replication of the species. Those fruiting bodies are gonna show like little pins (tiny black/dark spots at first). As soon as that is happening you want to get the cake out of the box (birth it) and soak it in cold water for like 6-8 hours while keeping it fully submerged (by putting some weight on top of it).

Right before soaking it (as you can see the substrate is now fully colonized and there is a tiny pin very close to the center and some more):

See the progress in the next post

While giving the cake a good soak you can start to prepare the SGFC by filling it with Perlite and giving it a good shower to make the Perlite damp and remove all the fine dust which could cloak the holes later on.

Now get the cake and put it in the middle of the SGFC on top of a piece of tin foil or liner to prevent contamination from the Perlite. Make sure that your SGFC is elevated and not too close to a wall to allow it to work and provide free air exchange (FAE). Keep the lid closed and store it at 20-23C° in ambient light, out of direct sunlight .

From now on you will need to wait and mist the cake (make the surface glisten with tiny beads) when the surface starts to dry out, try to keep the temperature right and the relative humidity (RH) high.

What you can do now is getting ready for harvesting
When to harvest:

and drying the soon-to-be-ready shrooms. After the harvest you want to soak the cake in cold water for another 8-12 hours and put it back in the SGFC for your next flush. Also you can start to make yourself familiar with cloning to agar or making your first spore print / spore syringe so you can cultivate your new family member on your own cakes and put them in the SGFC so you won't need to buy a grow kit ever again.

I hope this little guide is helping you to start this fascinating hobby :grin:

Thanks for your Up-Vote :yourock:

--------------------
Ask not what your shrooms can do for you, ask what you can do for your shrooms.

Edited by Shroombitz (11/30/20 12:28 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title

Re: How to start growing as a n00b - KISS (WIP) [Re: Shroombitz]
    #27049890 - 11/21/20 07:39 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

My progress so far (TBC):

Day 1: Delivery and unboxing

Day 7: First pins, soaked and put in a SGFC for the first flush

Day 8-12:

Day 13: Harvest first flush (200g wet / 12,5g cracker dry):

Day 14: Ready for the next flush after a good soak / Made some agar clones :super:

Day 16-23: Growing 2nd flush, harvest (70g wet / 3,5g dry) and waiting for the last one to sporulate for a print & clone to agar

Day 24-26: Waiting for next pins after soaking the cake

Day 27: Still no pins and surface looks and feels unhealthy, I was about to toss it, but stumbling over an interesting thread, so I've decided to give it a try to resurrect the cake :crazy2:

Day 28: A few tiny spots with white and fluffy stuff (hopefully Mycelium not mold) start to show up  :popcorn:

Day 32: Back to fruiting, putting the cake in a water tub really helped :cheer:

Day 33-34: Third harvest (45g wet) - Better than nothing, no soak, waiting now if the cake is keep on giving :grin:

Edited by Shroombitz (12/13/20 11:54 AM)

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title

#27049892 - 11/21/20 07:39 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Placeholder 2

--------------------

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title

#27049894 - 11/21/20 07:40 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Placeholder 3

--------------------

OfflinePotDaddy
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27050076 - 11/21/20 10:52 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

These kits look nice and a great way to start. To bad they aren't available on this side of the pond!

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title

Re: How to start growing as a n00b - KISS (WIP) [Re: PotDaddy]
    #27050103 - 11/21/20 11:11 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Oh, they aren't? What a bummer! Maybe someone should make them available then :grin:
And some vendors of those kits may ship to the US too

--------------------

Edited by Shroombitz (11/21/20 11:25 AM)

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title

#27051514 - 11/22/20 07:35 AM (3 months, 2 days ago)

Harvest first flush (200g wet)  :cheer:

--------------------

Edited by Shroombitz (11/22/20 07:38 AM)

InvisibleShroombitz
Not entitled to a title

#27054886 - 11/24/20 05:35 AM (3 months, 21 hours ago)

12,5g (cracker) dry weight, room for improvement :grin:

--------------------

Offlineolivia44
Stranger
Re: How to start growing with a grow kit as a n00b - KISS (WIP) [Re: Shroombitz]
    #27214590 - 02/19/21 12:07 PM (6 days, 14 hours ago)

Those growing kits are awesome. I've tested a lot of growing kits, but these psilocybin mushroom growing kits from AbMushroom are the best, in my humble opinion. They offer a lot of different variations and options, explaining everything about them, especially all the details about how easy to grow magic mushrooms, from the scratch.

Edited by olivia44 (02/26/21 12:40 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Gypsum, Hot Plate, Hygrometer, Injection Ports, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started