Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWoodsman
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
Re: Amanitas
    #268165 - 03/09/01 10:20 PM (23 years, 1 month ago)

Amanita calyptrata (or calyptroderma) is also very good--supposedly similar to caesarea (which doesn't grow in Pacific NW)--but requires great care in identification. The golden-brown form with an unbroken cottony patch of universal veil tissue on the cap is pretty unmistakable, but the more greenish-yellow form is WAY too similar to the deadly A. phalloides and should never be eaten.

The flavor of A. muscaria IS uniquely delicious. No other mushroom quite matches it; unfortunsately its intoxicating properties make it unsuitable for eating in significant quantity unless one intends to become clumsy, drowsy, and disoriented. I have found that in small doses (no more than an ounce or so of fresh cap material) it produces only an invigorating "tonic" effect. Cooking improves the flavor and alleviates the unpleasant side effects. And stems (which taste just as good) can be eaten in larger amounts than caps, since most of the intoxicating substances occur in the caps.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Amanitas [Re: Woodsman]
    #269568 - 03/11/01 10:10 AM (23 years, 1 month ago)

I have read a method of boiling in several changes of water that can make A. muscaria edible and delicious without toxic side effects. I have never tried it myself.

The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

OfflineMurple
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Earth
Re: Amanitas [Re: Workman]
    #270308 - 03/12/01 01:30 PM (23 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah... but thats a pretty expensive way to get a tasty meal, unless you're brave enough to harvest amanitas in the wild. Not being a trained mycologist, I don't eat any mushrooms that don't come from either a store/catalog or from a grow kit.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Amanitas [Re: Murple]
    #270498 - 03/12/01 07:37 PM (23 years, 1 month ago)

Woodsman, about what volume of stem tissue of A. muscaria could a healthy adult consume without intense nausia? Golfball size?

OfflineWoodsman
enthusiast
Loc: Oregon
Re: Amanitas [Re: Suntzu]
    #270648 - 03/12/01 11:42 PM (23 years, 1 month ago)

One or two "golfball" sized CAPS (unopened buttons), well cooked (in an omelet or stir-fry), is just about right for a pleasant light inebriation. I've never gotten worse than mild transient nausea from cooked specimens, even in larger amounts.

If you just want the flavor, and NOT to get stoned, then probably 3-4 ounces of fresh stem material would be safe enough. Most of the ibotenic acid and muscimol is concentrated in the tinted flesh of the cap, just under the skin. Only a little bit in the stems, but of course this is subject to variation with the strain and environmental conditions.

Anonymous

Re: Amanitas [Re: Woodsman]
    #276503 - 03/22/01 07:20 AM (23 years, 30 days ago)

When I was drying Amanita's up north, I couldn't believe how good they smelled.

I hate mushrooms, I never eat them as a food source but boy those amanita's smelled tasty!

Take a trip to the Spore Lab @:
http://www.sunshine.net/www/1700/sn1730

Offlineamanita
addict
Loc: UK
Re: Amanitas [Re: ]
    #278024 - 03/24/01 03:26 PM (23 years, 28 days ago)

Amanita muscaria has been used as a spice for flavouring (apparently because of compounds similar to monosodium glutamate). I suppose if it was the only nutritious food present, then the ancient hunter-gatherers would have to make do with boiling them. Closely related to amanitas are tasty Volvariella, the "paddy straw mushroom" which is commonly available (canned) in Chinese supermarkets.

Anonymous

Re: Amanitas [Re: amanita]
    #279030 - 03/26/01 12:56 AM (23 years, 26 days ago)

The Paddy Straw mushroom is very popular in Asia. But it doesn't grow in the States. A deadly amanita lookalike does grow in California and quite a few Asians have died thinking it was the Paddy Straw!

Take a trip to the Spore Lab @:
http://www.sunshine.net/www/1700/sn1730

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale