Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineneonero
Stranger
 User Gallery
Can you help me evaluating these Agar dishes?
    #27048334 - 11/20/20 06:07 AM (3 months, 4 days ago)

Hi,

I have one failed try going from spores to minitub. This is my second try, and I am trying to find the source of contamination. So this time, I was hoping to get some trained eyes to look at some parts of the process.

I have now started all over with spores to agar transfer. It is a premade Agar/Malt powder that I have mixed with water and sterilized in PC. Pour is in SAB. I have been so dedicated to detail as possible, not to contaminate the dishes.

How do you think they look?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSunny Skies
Cluster Head
 User Gallery

Loc: top of the triangle
Re: Can you help me evaluating these Agar dishes? [Re: neonero]
    #27048404 - 11/20/20 07:56 AM (3 months, 4 days ago)

Im thinking you might want to try no pour tek..those plates look contaminated mate.Lets hope a TC chimes in for ya.

--------------------
I stink therefore I am.

OfflinePBJ710
Strangler

Re: Can you help me evaluating these Agar dishes? [Re: Sunny Skies]
    #27048439 - 11/20/20 08:45 AM (3 months, 4 days ago)

I think I can see bacterial colonies on the agar, but it might just be bubbles from the pour.  I would at least try to take a couple transfers from the flatter/denser growth from colonies in the pic 1/2 dishes and see how they do on a new plate. Not sure I would trust pic 3 dish with that odd growth ring showing up on most of the mycelium colonies.

InvisibleSunny Skies
Cluster Head
 User Gallery

Re: Can you help me evaluating these Agar dishes? [Re: PBJ710]
    #27048446 - 11/20/20 08:56 AM (3 months, 4 days ago)

I wouldn't even open them in my house let alone a SAB..are you using a syringe cause it looks like you sneezed on your plates.

--------------------
I stink therefore I am.

Offlineneonero
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27048452 - 11/20/20 09:09 AM (3 months, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Sunny Skies said:
I wouldn't even open them in my house let alone a SAB..are you using a syringe cause it looks like you sneezed on your plates.

I really don´t understand it. Using SAB and all techniques to keep it and my gloved hands clean. Used an inoculation loop and flamed it.

InvisibleSunny Skies
Cluster Head
 User Gallery

#27048456 - 11/20/20 09:15 AM (3 months, 4 days ago)

how long are you PCing your agar? maybe the issue is there?

--------------------
I stink therefore I am.

Offlineneonero
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27048460 - 11/20/20 09:19 AM (3 months, 4 days ago)

Quote:

PBJ710 said:
I think I can see bacterial colonies on the agar, but it might just be bubbles from the pour.  I would at least try to take a couple transfers from the flatter/denser growth from colonies in the pic 1/2 dishes and see how they do on a new plate. Not sure I would trust pic 3 dish with that odd growth ring showing up on most of the mycelium colonies.

Thank´s a lot for chiming in.

I am so confused now, that I even don´t know if I am growing mushroom spores or some contamination. Could you confirm that it is cubensis myc and not some air borne fungus?
I have studied all the pictures I can find on the subject, and to me it looks like myc, but a confirmation would be greatly appriciated:-)

You think I should let it grow some more before making a transfer from the dishes 1/2 that you suggest?

Offlineneonero
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27048462 - 11/20/20 09:24 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Sunny Skies said:
how long are you PCing your agar? maybe the issue is there?

Maybe. PC it for 1/2 hour right after filling the media bottle.

InvisibleSunny Skies
Cluster Head
 User Gallery

#27048478 - 11/20/20 09:33 AM (3 months, 3 days ago)

do you leave the bottle top a little loose and cover with foil?? Are you venting your PC prior to pressure build up?

--------------------
I stink therefore I am.

OfflinePBJ710
Strangler

#27048843 - 11/20/20 01:54 PM (3 months, 3 days ago)

It looks like mycelium to me, but not sure if it's healthy.  Make a few transfers and see how it responds...it may take a few transfers to get good clean growth.

IMO, you want to take tiny transfer from a spore plate ASAP after growth shows so you can identify a healthy/clean colony to transfer from.  If they grow on top of each other, you won't be able to tell which colonies are desirable to keep as easily.  After it's on a new plate let it grow and see what shows up without all the competition going on.

Would you mind sharing your agar recipe and how you got to this point?  Sunny might be onto something with the details of the process being part of the issue.

Offlineneonero
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27048930 - 11/20/20 03:11 PM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Sunny Skies said:
do you leave the bottle top a little loose and cover with foil?? Are you venting your PC prior to pressure build up?

I left the bottle top a little open with foil over. When the PC was finishd, I let it cool a little bit, let out the steam and tightend the bottle top only touching the outside of the foil.

I did not vent the PC prior to pressure build up.

OfflineGrinchGrower
N00B
Male User Gallery

#27048974 - 11/20/20 03:34 PM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

neonero said:
Quote:

Sunny Skies said:

I left the bottle top a little open with foil over. When the PC was finishd, I let it cool a little bit, let out the steam and tightend the bottle top only touching the outside of the foil.

Don't let out the steam. Let the PC drop to 0 PSI naturally then remove the bottles.

Offlineneonero
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27049013 - 11/20/20 03:57 PM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

PBJ710 said:
It looks like mycelium to me, but not sure if it's healthy.  Make a few transfers and see how it responds...it may take a few transfers to get good clean growth.

IMO, you want to take tiny transfer from a spore plate ASAP after growth shows so you can identify a healthy/clean colony to transfer from.  If they grow on top of each other, you won't be able to tell which colonies are desirable to keep as easily.  After it's on a new plate let it grow and see what shows up without all the competition going on.

Would you mind sharing your agar recipe and how you got to this point?  Sunny might be onto something with the details of the process being part of the issue.

OK. I will do a transfer tomorrow.

The Agar is a premade Agar/Malt powder mix I got from at scientific store. It is made for mushroom cultivation.

How I got to this point:

Mixed Agar/Malt + Tap water. I live in a place with very clean water with no chlorine.
Boiled it. Filled media bottle. Little loose cap with foil over.
PC 30min. Cooled down a little bit. Let out rest of pressure. Thightend cap touching only foil and bottom of bottle.
Stored it.

Next day. Put Media Bottle in a water boiler that can keep the temp steady on 200*F until the agar has melted. I was a little quick on this one. There were som lumps in the Agar I had not detected.
Made SAB ready. First I wipe table with alcohol, place damp clean cloth on it, SAB on the cloth. I have an oven grate inside the SAB to get some space to the bottom. Also wiped down with alc.
SAB is cleaned inside with alc. Placed on table. Misted inside with water. Holes covered with cling film.
Let it rest a little bit.
I put on washed lab coat, nitril gloves over arm selves, a buff on my head, surgical face mask. OK. Before that, I have put all the things I need on the table.
I sit down. Wipe the stuff and my hands down with alc. Put unopend sterile dishes, media bottle, small clingfilm wrap and a drying paper soaked in alc in SAB.
Put in both hands. Open the dis wrap with sterile scalpel.
The pour is like this: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24336286#24336286
I then wrap edges with 2 inch wide clingfilm. Take the dishes out. Store them insde lunch zip lock bags in fridge.

When I inoculate, I have taken of the wrap on a dish. Washed it down with alc. Take out one hand, flame inoculation loop, put it back in the SAB, cool it in the agar of the receiving dish, take it back out, open my spore print wwhich is in foil, put the loop inside. Take it back inside the SAB. Inoculate in a Z pattern. Wrap dish with clingfilm. Put it in zip lock bag.

I think that´s about it.

Offlineneonero
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Can you help me evaluating these Agar dishes? [Re: GrinchGrower]
    #27049017 - 11/20/20 03:58 PM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Quote:

GrinchGrower said:
Quote:

neonero said:
Quote:

Sunny Skies said:

Don't let out the steam. Let the PC drop to 0 PSI naturally then remove the bottles.

Thank´s I will do. Also vent the PC before pressure build up.

InvisibleIdiotCircusBoy
Human Person
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #27049129 - 11/20/20 05:23 PM (3 months, 3 days ago)

You can keep your spore print in SAB.  Your agar is definitely clumpy which is from bad pour temp.  I like to get the agar in the PC and then go set up my SAB.  Remove Media Bottle(s) tighten lid and let them cool in SAB.  I've tried reheating it, which I know works for some people, the plates looked clumpy like yours; probably cause I rushed it.  I think you've got myc and will start to see it thin out after a transfer or two IMO 3rd plate looks best to me.

--------------------
Just call me Idiot

"People hasten to judge in order not to be judged themselves."

OfflinePBJ710
Strangler

Re: Can you help me evaluating these Agar dishes? [Re: neonero] * 1
    #27049272 - 11/20/20 06:52 PM (3 months, 3 days ago)

Hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised after a couple transfers.

For the most part, things sound right.  I would suggest boiling the tap water before adding the agar mix so that it mixes more evenly.  I've seen this cause sediment and clumpy agar when I forgot to do it with BRF based agar (may not apply as much to ME agar though).

Storing the dishes in the fridge may not be necessary and can cause some condensation issues.  I leave mine out at room temp so if anything (contam) does make it to the plate, I'll be able to easily see it before using the dish instead of having a dormant hidden contam waiting to sabotage me.

I've always just tightened my media bottle caps down until it was snug (not tight) and never used any foil, but I don't think you're having any issues from that or you would see obvious contaminations.

I try to prepare my agar a few hours ahead of when I'm going to use it so I don't have to reheat it.  I pour in multiples of 20 even if I only need a few.  The unused ones can wait in a ziploc bag until I need them.

Offlineneonero
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27052099 - 11/22/20 02:30 PM (3 months, 1 day ago)

I made some new Agar and poured right away after PC`ing it.
The pour came out very nice.

Today I made several transfers, and in a couple of days I will post pics of them. Hope you can help me along so I get a clean growth of mycelium in the end.

Best

NeoNero

Invisiblebigfootscreepyuncl
Stranger

Loc: Gamehenge
    #27055489 - 11/24/20 02:48 PM (2 months, 30 days ago)

It seems like you've gotten plenty of help so far from people who know a lot more than I do. But, do yourself a favor and give this link a thorough read. It taught me a lot about the use of a pressure cooker that I otherwise wouldn't have known. There's even a sub-link in there about the importance of venting and what it means/does. Cheers, mate!

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24180711/vc/1#24180711

Bod also has a really nice TEK about doing agar work

--------------------
Bigfoots LAGM21

Offlineneonero
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Can you help me evaluating these Agar dishes? [Re: bigfootscreepyuncl]
    #27056569 - 11/25/20 06:38 AM (2 months, 30 days ago)

Quote:

bigfootscreepyuncl said:
It seems like you've gotten plenty of help so far from people who know a lot more than I do. But, do yourself a favor and give this link a thorough read. It taught me a lot about the use of a pressure cooker that I otherwise wouldn't have known. There's even a sub-link in there about the importance of venting and what it means/does. Cheers, mate!

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24180711/vc/1#24180711

Bod also has a really nice TEK about doing agar work

Thank´s a lot for the link. I will look at it this evening. Most of what I have learned so far is from BOD.

Offlineneonero
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27056576 - 11/25/20 06:53 AM (2 months, 30 days ago)

Hi,

So now the transfers have grown a couple of days on the new Agar pour. The new Agar is PC the right way with venting of the PC.

The transfers came from plates with Agar PC without venting.

As you can see, some of the transfers have dark spots that looks like mold.

To me it looks like dish #6 is the cleanest, and that I should use that one for a transfer.

If you look close, also on #6, there is a narrow opaque looking ring around the white myc. Is this normal, or could it be bacteria?

So, what do you think I should do? Make a new transfer now? Wait until it grows some more, or make some new dishes from spores?

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started