Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineInquisitive Kiwi
Researcher

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: GreenHorns]
    #27039945 - 11/15/20 05:02 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

And thank you for providing your time and energy :laugh:. I couldn't do it without everyone else. This research is about psychedelic users for psychedelic users!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBob-cat
Stranger
Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: Inquisitive Kiwi]
    #27040029 - 11/15/20 07:21 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Done. Pretty enjoyable.

OfflineLoaded Shaman
Psychophysiologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Now O'Clock
Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: Inquisitive Kiwi]
    #27041490 - 11/16/20 01:14 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Completed, OP!

:kenthumbup:

--------------------

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance." — Confucius

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: Loaded Shaman]
    #27041584 - 11/16/20 04:33 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

For some reason it was saying my email wasn't valid at the end, so I couldnt register for followup. I completed it though

OfflineInquisitive Kiwi
Researcher

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: Bob-cat]
    #27042344 - 11/16/20 02:34 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks a bunch!

OfflineInquisitive Kiwi
Researcher

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: Loaded Shaman]
    #27042347 - 11/16/20 02:35 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks Loaded Shaman, it's very much appreciated.

OfflineInquisitive Kiwi
Researcher

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: morrowasted]
    #27042352 - 11/16/20 02:40 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Hey Morrowasted, I'm not sure why qualtrics would do that. I do have it set to validate for email addresses just in case people make a mistake but I don't know what error it thought it was detecting. If you like you can send me through your email by just emailing my uni email address (andrew.mcgahan@pg.canterbury.ac.nz) and I can put you down as a potential interview. If you wrote anything that in the text boxes that I could use to identify which response is yours I could link your email with your responses but just an email address is ok as well if you don't want to do that.

OfflineNipFantasy
Stranger
    #27043219 - 11/17/20 02:16 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

haha, you are right in there @InquisitiveKiwi. Cheers!

OnlineSugabearcrisp
Not Your Average Bear
Male User Gallery

Loc: maybe I had too much, too fast
Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: NipFantasy]
    #27043272 - 11/17/20 04:31 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Filled mine out :dancingbear:

OfflineInquisitive Kiwi
Researcher

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: Sugabearcrisp]
    #27043941 - 11/17/20 02:11 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you Sugabearcrisp, very much appreciated.

InvisibleRhizomorph
Psychedelic Researcher
Other

#27044799 - 11/18/20 02:56 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Hey Inquisitive Kiwi,

I'm mainly asking for my own knowledge, but wouldn't interacting with your participants here on the shroomery (at least talking about the meanings of specific questions & whatnot) prevent blinding and have other potential issues with the validity of your study?

I'll bet the results won't be impacted either way but I also gather it would be included as a potential limitation that would be easy to avoid.

I obviously don't know how you have it set up and might be overlooking something but as an undergrad beginning to conduct research I'm curious what your thoughts are on this.

I definitely want to see the results once the study is complete!

--------------------

:cookiemonster: Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: Why 'Psychedelic People' and the Psychedelic Movement Sucks:elmo:

:awesomenod: Easiest No-Pour Agar Method: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers:awesomenod:

Edited by Rhizomorph (11/18/20 02:58 AM)

OfflineLoaded Shaman
Psychophysiologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Now O'Clock
    #27044806 - 11/18/20 03:06 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Inquisitive Kiwi said:
Thanks Loaded Shaman, it's very much appreciated.

You got it man we need more off-site stuff like this collecting data. Great work and thank you for sharing this with the community! :sunny:

--------------------

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance." — Confucius

OfflineInquisitive Kiwi
Researcher

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: Rhizomorph]
    #27046715 - 11/19/20 02:50 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Hey Rhizomorph,

Thanks for your question. Blinding should not an issue for this study as I am not trying to hide any experimental manipulations. It is solely exploratory and I am being upfront about all aspects of the study. What you read in the information sheet and post is what I'm interested in understanding. Blinding would be used if, for example I was trying to see how participants would react or change their pattern of answers based on a manipulation in something I presented to them (like an image, or presenting them with alternate scenarios). However, this is not the case so blinding is not an issue here.

In terms of the specific meanings of questions. I have looked through my replies I am assuming you are referring to the peak intensity vs typical intensity comment. In short I actually think responding to feedback about clarity improves validity rather than reduces it. I want most of my questions to be as clear as possible so in the early stages when I put the survey up it was worth tweaking wording to make it as clear as possible. This way the large majority of participants will see the more clearly worded questions and therefore can answer the question more accurately. The word "peak" is a common term in psychedelic/drug use and could have caused unnecessary confusion so I changed it based on that feedback. This would be a much bigger issue if I had done this halfway through. But this occurred within the first couple of responses and so the vast majority of responses is based on the (hopefully) improved wording. So any actual differences between how people would respond to either is a very small part of the overall sample. Also, this is just one question among many many questions. If it was the focus defining aspect of my study then a small tweak would matter a lot more as well. So yea, it can matter but in this case I think it's alright. But hey, that's just my subjective judgement others could disagree.

In general though, yes I think discussing the "meaning" of particular questions can cause issues. It constrains how people interpret questions and sometimes you don't want to do this. Especially because some will read this and some won't. In this case however, the more clear the better.

I would say that it's very hard to figure out how things I say could influence the results. There is so much natural variation between people that my expectation is any comments I make will just wash out in the "noise" of this natural variation. Any instructions that I think are/were important to include are directly in the survey to help direct people and clarify things (and even then people will not read these, or misread them).

You ask a good question though. My interaction and comments certainly have some effect. What that is is anyone's guess. Unless they cause some systematic bias in answering and we could know what this is it's pure speculation. Everything affects everything. Would I include this as a limitation? Potentially, but unlikely. It's really about considering what are the most impactful limitations that are worth mentioning in a study. Would I include replying to comments and saying thank you to people who say they've completed as a limitation? Arguably it's a positive as it shows appreciation and may motivate others to participate. So it could be biasing people to complete my study :laugh: which is what I want. Hopefully that gives you some sense of my thinking. Apologies for the long reply.

Edited by Inquisitive Kiwi (11/19/20 02:54 AM)

InvisibleRhizomorph
Psychedelic Researcher
Other

#27047239 - 11/19/20 12:01 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

No need to apologize! This was a very thorough response and I appreciate it - I'm always looking to learn!!

The tricky thing about research in psychology is there are always so many interacting variables that could have different effects. It's no wonder there is a replication crisis going on. Still, I think you're right that for your study design blinding isn't needed and making questions more clear on the survey at the beginning makes sense. Especially if the research is just exploratory.

You make some very good points. Thank you for the response :grin:

--------------------

:cookiemonster: Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: Why 'Psychedelic People' and the Psychedelic Movement Sucks:elmo:

:awesomenod: Easiest No-Pour Agar Method: Alien's Holy Grail No pour Agar unmodified containers:awesomenod:

Edited by Rhizomorph (11/19/20 01:18 PM)

OfflineRobiscuit
n00b

#27047913 - 11/19/20 07:01 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Completed. Can't wait to read the paper.

OfflineJonBa
Hawaiian shirt weirdo

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: Robiscuit]
    #27047964 - 11/19/20 07:40 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Done did it  :blazed:

OfflineInquisitive Kiwi
Researcher

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: JonBa]
    #27049139 - 11/20/20 03:28 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Robiscuit said:
Completed. Can't wait to read the paper.

Quote:

JonBa said:
Done did it  :blazed:

Thank you Robiscuit and JonBa. I'm grateful for your help. I'll make of point of coming back to share the findings.

OfflineZef2Def
🍄 | 🍄 | 🍄
Female User Gallery

Loc: Seattle, WA
    #27054693 - 11/23/20 10:17 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Inquisitive Kiwi said:
I shall make a point of sharing the thesis once the research is completed :smile:

I'm very curious to read it! Thank you for this.

--------------------
- One side will make you grow taller, and the other side will make you grow shorter -

Offlinenaturesgangster
Stranger

#27056428 - 11/24/20 11:39 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Inquisitive Kiwi said:
Hi there,

My name is Andrew McGahan and I am a researcher at the University of Canterbury (New Zealand) conducting a study on the effects of psychedelic use on individual’s self-understanding (i.e. insight into one’s own inner workings).

This survey explores reasons why people use psychedelics, different types of psychedelic experiences, various set and setting factors and their effect on psychedelic experiences, and the long-term impact psychedelics have had on people’s beliefs, behaviours, attitudes and world view. We understand this is a broad topic and this survey is but a small step towards a more systematic understanding of the psychedelic process.

All data gathered will be completely anonymous unless you choose to opt-in for a separate interview portion of this research project. If you decide to participate in the interview we would need an active email address to contact you. In this case your email would be linked to your survey responses. However, your identified data would remain confidential to the research team.

The purpose of the interview is to provide a more a detailed account of psychedelic experiences and their impact on you and your life. The interview is completely optional, and you can choose to remain anonymous and only complete the online survey (which is very helpful as well).

Rest assured, all published material would be completely anonymised in both situations.

The following link will take you to the official information page and consent form.

Psychedelic Experiences Survey

Thank you for your supporting psychedelic science!

@inquistivekiwi Hey Andrew, I am doing a study on the psychological effects of mushrooms or various mental illnesses. I would love to discuss your work and if we may be of help to one another

OfflineInquisitive Kiwi
Researcher

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: naturesgangster]
    #27058007 - 11/26/20 12:31 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I'm happy to talk to you about your project naturegangster. Maybe you can email me (andrew.mcgahan@pg.canterbury.ac.nz)?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies