Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

Loc: R'lyeh
Wood burning stoves * 1
    #26994097 - 10/20/20 08:02 AM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Anyone ever install one? I'm shopping around for a pot bellied stove of sorts for heating. Words of wisdom to offer?

--------------------

As the spark of the dream ignites a flame of desire all we have is time and all to do is admire

Spawning to Bulk Substate TEK

General Myco Info / FAQ / Terminology

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebsnow4
Outdoor and drug enthusiast
Male User Gallery
Loc: New England
Re: Wood burning stoves [Re: GreenHorns] * 1
    #27043478 - 11/17/20 08:46 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

My wife and I heat our house primarily with wood.  Lots of variables here.

-Does your house already have a chimney or will you need to install one
-Generally in what part of the country are you located?  Depending on where you are will also depend on what size of stove you are looking for.
-How large of a house are you heating?

We live in NH and heat our house with a Jotul 118 from the basement using a central masonry chimney.  Our house is pretty small and open concept (~1800 sq ft including the basement), so the stove is sufficient.  We also have several floor ducts on the ground floor so the air can move upward easily.  We have a duct directly above the wood stove with an electric fan so help create a stronger hot air draft.

OfflineSugabearcrispS
Not Your Average Bear
Male User Gallery

Loc: OTD & ODD (not a pubfag)
Re: Wood burning stoves [Re: bsnow4]
    #27043822 - 11/17/20 12:45 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Hey green I would echo what bsnow4 said about whether or not you have a chimney and if so how tall is the chimney?

I prefer the cleanliness of pellet stoves and have a fireplace insert at home and another up at camp. At home the insert vents through the existing masonry chimney, but inside a stainless steel pipe. This is a chimney liner and needs to he installed by getting to the top of the chimney and dropping it down. Most modern stoves burn too efficiently to just dump into the masonry chimney.

At camp the stove is vented through a double walled stainless pipe directly out the wall (direct venting) and up to a point above the roof. It doesnt need to go that high but there was an existing wood stove that, the chimney of which i was able to reuse.

Pellet stoves run so efficiently that the outside of the double walled pipe is cool enough to put your hand on it. This means you can literally just run it through the wall and put some high temp silicon around to seal.

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

Re: Wood burning stoves [Re: Sugabearcrisp]
    #27044710 - 11/17/20 11:49 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the insight fellas. The house is about 2000sf 2 story with an attic. Located in PNW and my avarage winter temp seldom drops too far below freezing. There is a basement but I'm not sure if that would be the ideal location.

As of now there is nothing. I'll be starting from scratch. What's the operating cost of a pellet stove for you guys? I initially thought wood burning because I can gather and chop all the wood I need for free, love the smell and honestly just like chopping wood.

I do like the idea of a centrally located stove and running the chimney through ceiling into my bedroom then straight out the attic to not waste the heat. Did you guys need to obtain a permit or have an inspection done?

--------------------

As the spark of the dream ignites a flame of desire all we have is time and all to do is admire

OfflineSugabearcrispS
Not Your Average Bear
Male User Gallery

Re: Wood burning stoves [Re: GreenHorns]
    #27044851 - 11/18/20 04:38 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Always have your fire department inspect and ask them if they keep a copy of the inspection on file. Insurance companie will deny you for having an uninspected stove install.

I go 2.5 tons of pellets at $270 per, much colder where I live though. I like the cleanliness of pellets. I scored the one at camp for $300 from a guy on cl who bought it broken and replaced the auger. It is an englander (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Englander-1-500-sq-ft-Pellet-Stove-25-PDVCH/203485650) which is super popular and has lots of people online who will tell you how to fix and or run it. They have a 2 auger system and the bottom one can go but is a straightforward replace.

A pellet stove can be direct vented through and exterior wall which will save costs and effort. Just needs a 6" double wall pipe.

One of the big advantages to a pellet stove and some wood stoves is that they have a blower which pulls air through a heat exchanger (tubes inside the combustion chamber) and then into the room. My step fil had a wood stove in his basement that he had connected into the ducting and would run the hvac blower to distribute the heat.

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

Re: Wood burning stoves [Re: Sugabearcrisp]
    #27044868 - 11/18/20 05:04 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I'll have to check my local aftermarket and see what pellet stoves are going for. I'm surprised how inexpensive the chimney kit is for that stove in the link. Would you still mount something like that on a brick hearth like an old school wood stove? If the fire department needs to inspect then for sure the basement is out of the question :wink:

Thinking I'm going to pull the trigger on something in the next couple weeks. Getting cold over here.

--------------------

Offlinedrliquidglitch
Stranger

#27047098 - 11/19/20 10:45 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

It would take some time to build, but consider a Rocket Heater stove. Basically a wood oven which reburns the exhaust for high efficiency and low emissions, you can find blueprints online.

Offlinebsnow4
Male User Gallery
    #27047857 - 11/19/20 06:35 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

If you're in the PNW, I would imagine your winter usage would be too inconsistent to warrant putting the stove in the basement.  Heating from the basement takes ~24 hours, as you have to heat all the concrete down there, which is nice, but you really need to be running the stove 24/7 to make that placement worthwhile.

I would agree that centrally locating the stove and chimney is most efficient.  Wood is messier than pellets, for sure, but I really like the smell as well.  Wouldn't have it any other way.

I agree with the other posters about a permit.  In NH a permit/inspection isn't required, and our home insurance didn't require one anyway, but it's a good idea to have an expert double-check everything.

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

Re: Wood burning stoves [Re: bsnow4]
    #27058041 - 11/26/20 01:23 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the additional insight. I'm just watching the 2nd hand market and going to jump at the first good wood or pellet stove I find.

Pretty set on a central location against the staircase plumbed up through my room. And I checked with insurance and yeah permit and inspected is the way to go.

--------------------

OfflineNichrome
Pariah
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Zone 5
    #27091249 - 12/15/20 09:37 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Get a cap that spins into the wind.

--------------------
Where have all the people gone my honey
Where have all the people gone today
There's no need for you to be worrying about all those people
You never see those people anyway

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

Re: Wood burning stoves [Re: Nichrome]
    #27091278 - 12/15/20 09:54 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah for sure. We get some heavy winds around here and it's standard on all chimneys I see. Still looking for a stove. Hoping to do some physical shopping in the next couple days as Craigslist has very limited and far away options.

--------------------

InvisibleTulipslave
Homo sapiens sapiens, lol

#27108427 - 12/26/20 08:51 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

GreenHorns said:
Anyone ever install one? I'm shopping around for a pot bellied stove of sorts for heating. Words of wisdom to offer?

why a pot bellied stove? the small ones are a pain in the ass on many levels.

spend the money, if you can, and get a nice Jotul.  they heat damn near the best of any stove.

Where are you in PNW?  I'm down in SoHum.

Invisiblerjreynoldsinc
Jack of all trades
Male

#27110253 - 12/27/20 07:37 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

my thoughts..after so many years of wood burning i learned no matter how much wood i cut for winter some winters it wasnt enough and that is fun...around my 10th year of burning wood my chimney caught on fire from all the kreosote from the wood caking up in the chimney like resin in a pipe and that was also a fun one..when its really cold prepare to be up loading the stove all night....just my 2 cents

--------------------
..Every thing i say is irrelevant to everything..

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

Re: Wood burning stoves [Re: rjreynoldsinc]
    #27110297 - 12/27/20 08:19 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Location is in Oregon. I had a small antique pot belly stove in place I lived in for a while and liked it just fine. I'm not sold on any particular stove more so than jumping on whatever the 2nd hand market can offer. My burget is low like 1k installed if possible I'm I don't think anything too fancy will end up happening. Very limited options here without driving a few hours.

--------------------

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

#27122988 - 01/03/21 12:04 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Scored this little beauty at habitat for humanity for $125! Going to give it a good brushing cleaning and painting before install once I get a break in the rain. Landlord wants it professionally installed which blows but I'll at least lay out the hearth on a raised platform for seating and I'm thinking of incorporating a cubby for a couple days worth of chopped wood.

--------------------

Offlinebsnow4
Male User Gallery
    #27128755 - 01/05/21 05:02 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Nice find!

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
    #27128855 - 01/05/21 05:30 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

What a classic! :awesome:

OfflineSugabearcrispS
Not Your Average Bear
Male User Gallery

Re: Wood burning stoves [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #27129085 - 01/05/21 07:03 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Nice score greenhorns, appears to be a country comfort TL130, so it should have a blower, be fairly efficient and seems parts are available

http://www.wood-stove.org/country-comfort-wood-stove.html

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

Re: Wood burning stoves [Re: Sugabearcrisp] * 1
    #27129204 - 01/05/21 08:13 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Great info thanks dude! That makes total sense that it's got a blower. It has an extra flu on the bottom I assumed was for surplus o2.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals