Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: (523) 327-2836
The Idea of Perfection
    #2704606 - 05/20/04 07:46 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

one thing I've learned is that a lot of people have this concept of some sort of so called 'perfect' place (whether they wanna call it heaven, or nirvana, or whatever) some believe that it is spiritual in nature yet still tangible, while others see it as more of a state of mind, or a form of existance, or whatever...but regardless how it is viewed, there are typically some fairly universally accepted things about this place - peace, love, unity, etc..

what I don't understand though, is why so many people are inclined to believe in something like this

is it wishful thinking?...do they simply hate existance so much that they need to fabricate something that's supposedly 'better' so that they have something to look forward to when they die?...are they just so damn bored with experiencing life that they can't help but envision what could exist beyond everything that they know?

maybe they just feel it's some sort of a mathmatical inevitability that something else has to exist

but why would that something be 'perfect'  :what:

what causes people to believe that whatever exists outside our own reality (if anything at all) would be completely devoid of hate, or greed, or any of these other so called 'nasty' things that so many people seem to think we'd be better off without?...why wouldn't they think that where ever they're going to eventually end up is going to be just like this place?...cause seriously - who's to say it isn't

what if we all were to join together in some sort of worldwide transcendence that sorta melded our minds into one and allowed all that we know to dissolve around us as we forced our way out of this shell we're in and entered the great beyond - only to find out that we're stuck in the middle of yet another existance exactly like the one we just came from

and then who's to say that from there 'we' wouldn't just have to do the same thing all over again (e.g. combining as one, transcending the natural world, and all that other bullshit) and who's to say we wouldn't just wind up in yet another existance exactly like our own

surely we would just keep working our way up from one existance to the next until we eventually reached this so called 'perfect' place that everyone seems so bound and determined to believe in...surely there would have to be an end to all of this - it couldn't just keep going, could it?

it could if these other existances were being created as we were pulling ourselves away from the ones we're leaving

it could if there were actually a whole chain of 'existances' that went around in a big loop

it could if we never really leave the existance that we're in in the first place, but rather - we simply re-create it as 'we' feel is the best way of doing things, and then we seperate again and each individual entitiy then precieves their new life as still containing the collective consciousness of all other 'lives' from this so called previous existance which we presumably integrated into ourselves before moving on to this new one

a new one in which we must overcome the very same obsticles we have in the past in order to accomplish the same exact goal...only with the hopes that this time things will be different

perhaps then, the idea of perfection is what motivates us continue to move forward - the driving force that keeps everything in existance in a constant state of motion

perhaps without it we will all cease to exist

or maybe (just maybe) refusing to trancend, and allowing the gears of the great machine of life to jam - is the very thing that allows us to achieve this great perfection we've been mindlessly chasing all along

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

:craven:  Ravings of a Madman  :craven:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedeafpanda
Stranger
Loc: Inguland
Re: The Idea of Perfection [Re: Muppet]
    #2704677 - 05/20/04 09:00 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Hummm.

Something to think about.

The universe popped into existence at some point. Something cannot come from nothing. So there must have been something else. However, if something else created our universe, then what created that something? There is the problem of infinite regress.

The only logical version of events seems to be that the universe was created by something that is outside, or apart from time? Then there is no infinite regress, and something doesnt have to just magically materialise.

I personally think that whatever other existence there may be would be indescribable with our words. "Perfection", in my opinion, wouldn't apply.

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#2704902 - 05/20/04 11:11 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Humans have had it ingrained their brains to meet their source of creation ever since the early days. Perhaps there is some truth in that instinctual movement towards spirituality.

As far as perfection; I believe the number zero is about as perfect as it gets.

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Idea of Perfection [Re: psyka]
    #2705028 - 05/20/04 11:58 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

indeed...

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: The Idea of Perfection [Re: psyka]
    #2705071 - 05/20/04 12:13 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

psyka said:

I'm inclined to look at the number three as being closer to perfection, but this depends on several factors. Which demonstrates that the concept of 'perfection' is subjective.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: The Idea of Perfection [Re: Evolving]
    #2705184 - 05/20/04 12:42 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

psyka said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm inclined to look at the number three as being closer to perfection, but this depends on several factors. Which demonstrates that the concept of 'perfection' is subjective.

Don't you guys know anything? It's 21.

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Idea of Perfection [Re: Viveka]
    #2705313 - 05/20/04 01:15 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

42 actually  :wink:

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2705576 - 05/20/04 02:21 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Okay...

42 = perfect mental age for a woman
21 = perfect physical age for a woman
3 = perfect number for adult fun with women; 1 (me) + 2 (women) = 3 (perfect evening)

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
    #2705689 - 05/20/04 02:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Muppet said...

"or maybe (just maybe) refusing to trancend, and allowing the gears of the great machine of life to jam - is the very thing that allows us to achieve this great perfection we've been mindlessly chasing all along"

I think with this statement you revealed your own belief in this prefection AND showed the way to it. Ultimately 'perfection' isn't something we can reach in the future, we can only find it if we stop chasing after it and find it where it has always been - right here, right now.

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

Offlinesensi

Loc: MushroOmKingdoM
Re: The Idea of Perfection [Re: Source]
    #2709177 - 05/21/04 01:54 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

the word "perfect" is a contridiction in itself.for anything to be in a perfect state freedom of thought cant exist. i wouldnt call that exactly perfect, would u call that perfect...? this is not the reality this is my reality... well to each their own... the general word perfect is a contridiction to me, but my perfect is simply self enlightment, being at peace with everything... being untouchable. about what follows death, who knows... our energy could end up sum planet far far away where we are "aliens" whoa getting ahead of myself now...  :stoned:

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
Re: The Idea of Perfection [Re: sensi]
    #2709198 - 05/21/04 01:58 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Neitchze believed (for some reason) that we would all constantly relive our lives, in EXACTLY the same way, from birth to death, for eternity.

For a VERY few people, maybe that would be 'heaven'
for more of us that would be closer to hell.

It definetly sucks for neitchze, who got laid ONCE in his whole life and then went crazy from catching syphilis.

:smirk:

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: The Idea of Perfection [Re: PHARMAKOS]
    #2709368 - 05/21/04 02:24 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i have my own idea of what perfect is that as far as i know is highly personal. very occasional i'll do a physical action, think a thought, communicate something, see something and i just know that it was exactly perfect.
its most obvious when i complete a perfect movement.

i strive for this zone of perfection everyday.

edit: sometimes i know that i have just done something exactly the way it should be done, its the greatest feeling for me in the world.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Idea of Perfection [Re: Source]
    #2709883 - 05/21/04 05:00 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

I think with this statement you revealed your own belief in this prefection AND showed the way to it. Ultimately 'perfection' isn't something we can reach in the future, we can only find it if we stop chasing after it and find it where it has always been - right here, right now.

how very observant of you...  :smirk:

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

OnlineBlueCoyote
Beyond
Male User Gallery

Loc: Between
    #2710048 - 05/21/04 06:45 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

The word 'idea' has the meaning of 'perfect' in itself.
:wink:

--------------------
Though lovers be lost love shall not  And death shall have no dominion
"Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men."Martin Luther King, Jr.
'Acceptance is the absolute key - at that moment you gain freedom and you gain power and you gain courage'

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: The Idea of Perfection [Re: Evolving]
    #2710577 - 05/21/04 12:26 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Okay...

42 = perfect mental age for a woman
21 = perfect physical age for a woman
3 = perfect number for adult fun with women; 1 (me) + 2 (women) = 3 (perfect evening)

:lol: It's all there in the numbers man.  Like sacred geometry....of threesomes

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #2712059 - 05/21/04 06:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I don't believe in perfection per se, but I am striving for it.

--------------------

OfflineMuppet
Nomadic Jester
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The Idea of Perfection [Re: Shroomism]
    #2712542 - 05/21/04 08:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

that's good  :thumbup:

we should always strive to be the best damn person we can be  :yesnod:

Thus Spake Muppet

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology