Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMycoTricho
Hermit
Male

When did you finally "get" it?
    #27045515 - 11/18/20 03:01 PM (9 days, 18 hours ago)

For me, it all started with Uncle Ben's TEK, which failed horribly. From there I joined The Shroomery and started to find out how to really get this done. I thought that would simply be injecting the spores I already had into something more sterile than the UB bags, but quickly realized that agar was the way to go. So I've got everything going for that, but just now reading through Bod's Agar TEK, I realized that it's not as easy as getting the myc to grow on the agar, but I'd need to do a few transfers first (that's if I'm reading it correctly).

So, for those who have been doing this for some time, when did you finally get your shit together enough to have a streamlined set up going? I am so confused on how long it's actually going to take to get to a harvest at this point.

I ain't giving up, and this stuff is actually really fun and challenging. I was just realizing I don't know shit and the more I read the more that becomes apparent.

--------------------
"...do you think God made the world to amuse himself because he was bored? Because if so he would have to be mean." - Jack Kerouac

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: When did you finally "get" it? [Re: MycoTricho] * 1
    #27045547 - 11/18/20 03:33 PM (9 days, 17 hours ago)

I took it in steps. I did simple brf cakes with syringes for months. Got down printing for my own syringes, cakes to bulk, and surface conditions in that time. Then I went into agar and grains while still making cakes so i had something working while i learned the next tek. I still do a bit of both if i just wanna run some varieties for prints while i run my favorite projects and clones through plates and grains.

I don't see any problem keeping it simple and cheap with cakes while you develop agar skills and get the pc & stuff required for grains.

--------------------

:mushroom2:Trade List:mushroom2:

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
    #27045572 - 11/18/20 03:44 PM (9 days, 17 hours ago)

I bought Oss and Oeric's book in the early 1980's. I think. I'm not really sure. I still have some of the glass petri dishes, the alcohol lamp and the original lab-grade agar-powder jar from back then. But I've refilled the powder many times!

Just a few months ago, getting LC to work really boosted my success rate. With mushroom-enhanced neuroplasticity, old dogs can learn new tricks.

OfflineMycoTricho
Hermit
Male

Re: When did you finally "get" it? [Re: LtLurker]
    #27045639 - 11/18/20 04:19 PM (9 days, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

LtLurker said:
I don't see any problem keeping it simple and cheap with cakes while you develop agar skills and get the pc & stuff required for grains.

This is probably a good idea. I think having some quick results would keep me more interested. I'm starting to get obsessed with chemistry lately, and if I'm not careful mycology may fall by the wayside, which I don't want to happen.

I did buy a small PC, not knowing that the size would effect me. I can fit a single grain jar in it, so it's still useful. What I grow will be for personal use, so I'm not too concerned with yield.

OfflineMycoTricho
Hermit
Male

Re: When did you finally "get" it? [Re: sonoramo]
    #27045642 - 11/18/20 04:22 PM (9 days, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

sonoramo said:
I bought Oss and Oeric's book in the early 1980's. I think. I'm not really sure. I still have some of the glass petri dishes, the alcohol lamp and the original lab-grade agar-powder jar from back then. But I've refilled the powder many times!

Just a few months ago, getting LC to work really boosted my success rate. With mushroom-enhanced neuroplasticity, old dogs can learn new tricks.

Would you recommend those books, or are they outdated?

I'd love to see a picture of that jar you're talking about. Lab equipment has been a topic of interest for me recently. As I mentioned above, chemistry is quickly becoming another obsession of mine.

OfflineLtLurker
Lost Sailor
 User Gallery

Loc: Borderlands Flag
Re: When did you finally "get" it? [Re: MycoTricho]
    #27045714 - 11/18/20 05:05 PM (9 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

MycoTricho said:
Quote:

LtLurker said:

This is probably a good idea. I think having some quick results would keep me more interested. I'm starting to get obsessed with chemistry lately, and if I'm not careful mycology may fall by the wayside, which I don't want to happen.

I did buy a small PC, not knowing that the size would effect me. I can fit a single grain jar in it, so it's still useful. What I grow will be for personal use, so I'm not too concerned with yield.

If your goal is just to have a simple little project to give you an ounce now and again, i wouldn't beat yourself up about having to go grains and agar. Don't get me wrong they're great methods and very efficient, but people have been doing pf grows for a long time. I think it's more about what works for you.

--------------------

:mushroom2:Trade List:mushroom2:

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

#27045970 - 11/18/20 07:19 PM (9 days, 13 hours ago)

Quote:

MycoTricho said:
Quote:

sonoramo said:

Would you recommend those books, or are they outdated?

I'd love to see a picture of that jar you're talking about. Lab equipment has been a topic of interest for me recently. As I mentioned above, chemistry is quickly becoming another obsession of mine.

Oss and Oeric is way outdated. But it was the first book I found that explicitly wrote up how to grow.

The LC training camp thread has a lot of LC pictures and tales, including some of mine.

Edit: I guess you meant you want to see the old agar jar :facepalm3:

I got it from chem stores on campus. On one side, it sternly warns "NOT FOR DRUG USE." Back then, nobody had heard of growing mushrooms. Most of the "magic mushrooms" being sold on campus were agaricus laced with LSD. So there's absolutely no way that label meant "not for growing psilocybe mushrooms" but that makes it all the funnier!

Edited by sonoramo (11/18/20 07:32 PM)

OfflineMycoTricho
Hermit
Male

#27046004 - 11/18/20 07:44 PM (9 days, 13 hours ago)

Quote:

On one side, it sternly warns "NOT FOR DRUG USE." Back then, nobody had heard of growing mushrooms. Most of the "magic mushrooms" being sold on campus were agaricus laced with LSD.

Is there another use for agar that involves drugs?

OfflineMycoTricho
Hermit
Male

Re: When did you finally "get" it? [Re: LtLurker] * 1
    #27046010 - 11/18/20 07:46 PM (9 days, 13 hours ago)

Quote:

If your goal is just to have a simple little project to give you an ounce now and again, i wouldn't beat yourself up about having to go grains and agar. Don't get me wrong they're great methods and very efficient, but people have been doing pf grows for a long time. I think it's more about what works for you.

Yes, but also the fun of doing it. I would like to have some sooner rather than later, though, so I'll probably do some PF or BRF cakes as well. It definitely started out as a desire to have some mushrooms to eat, but it quickly became a hobby.

--------------------
"...do you think God made the world to amuse himself because he was bored? Because if so he would have to be mean." - Jack Kerouac

Offlineblack strat
Strangler
 User Gallery
    #27046026 - 11/18/20 07:56 PM (9 days, 13 hours ago)

hey man, I feel like you and I are in very similar situations. I haven't tried any grain or substrate yet, because I am fairly certain if I jus dove straight in, I would fail. I'm currently right in the middle of trying to get down agar. if you got some free time, I think reading thru my thread a little could help ya out. obviously not from my comments lol, but the cool-as-shit folks that respond to my ultra-noob questions in there. the thread is essentially me fumbling and bumbling around like a fuckin idiot, and these guys continuing to drop helpful hints and trying to steer me right.

the past few weeks, I've been attempting different ways to go syringe --> agar plates. it's been pretty messy so far. had I known ahead of time, and if you have the chance right now, it's really becoming apparent that print --> agar might be better suited for the beginner, and I'd have went that way.  my prints showed up in the mail today, so gonna give it a go.

sorry I don't have any real, quality advice for ya, but like I said - the guys helping me out currently here are amazing. this community is pretty amazing, tbh, at least so far as I can tell. I've honestly never really experienced anything quite like it; there's so little ego here, and just an absolute colossal amount of knowledge.
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/27035826

OfflineGrinchGrower
N00B
Male User Gallery

Re: When did you finally "get" it? [Re: black strat]
    #27046042 - 11/18/20 08:06 PM (9 days, 12 hours ago)

Read, read, read, read, read, read, & read.

Lots of users post detailed accounts with the good, the bad, and the ugly included. Try to find some posts in the search engine with keywords like 'journal', 'log', or searching a particular style you are interested in like 'monotubs', 'shoeboxes', etc.

I have found these to be the most helpful because they tend to show the entire process from start to finish.

--------------------
:mushroom:GrinchGrower:mushroom:
Smartattack said: I'm kind of a big FAE fan.

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

#27046048 - 11/18/20 08:10 PM (9 days, 12 hours ago)

Quote:

MycoTricho said:
Quote:

On one side, it sternly warns "NOT FOR DRUG USE." Back then, nobody had heard of growing mushrooms. Most of the "magic mushrooms" being sold on campus were agaricus laced with LSD.

Making windowpane? :acidcat:

OfflineHikeadellic
Visionary
Male

Loc: Wherever the wind takes m...
    #27046049 - 11/18/20 08:12 PM (9 days, 12 hours ago)

You might have a good time going from colonized grain or brf to agar then back to grain after an optional transfer.

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

#27046114 - 11/18/20 08:46 PM (9 days, 12 hours ago)

Quote:

black strat said:
... the past few weeks, I've been attempting different ways to go syringe --> agar plates. it's been pretty messy so far. had I known ahead of time, and if you have the chance right now, it's really becoming apparent that print --> agar might be better suited for the beginner, and I'd have went that way. 

I totally agree that print-to-agar is the best way to germinate spores. Most of the time, a germination plate is contaminated. The "good" ones have a strong growth that you can sample from. Then, a few transfers to isolate a strain. I've been using biopsy with a blunt needle to do the transfers and then eventually to start an LC. Better yet, start several LC's to get more chances at success. Always make a test agar plate from LC before committing to grain or PF. It's so much more work to prepare grain and it can take so long to see the contamination, it is well worth it to test on agar first, where you can more readily see contaminants.

If you have a nearby friend "in the business," getting a clean LC would be a really good way to jump start.

OfflinePotDaddy
Stranger
    #27049164 - 11/20/20 05:40 PM (7 days, 15 hours ago)

I got curious when I got covid, Bought a kit before I found this wonderful place. Failed. Tried the Uncle Bens Tek and having some luck but really want to progress past that rudimentary start.

I have a friend who does canning so I will be getting some jars and a pressure cooker this weekend.

I would love to add a flow hood but we shall see.

The more I read the more I want to learn.

Peace

OfflineMycoTricho
Hermit
Male

#27050460 - 11/21/20 03:25 PM (6 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

black strat said:
hey man, I feel like you and I are in very similar situations.

Gonna go check out that thread now. I'm curious how your print to agar went, so I'd love to hear about it when you get a chance. Just poured my agar plates last night, and going to nocc with a syringe tonight. I don't have any prints, but i may order some.

I already have some Pasty Plates going, but I think I fucked those up. I may have fucked up these new ones as well, there is a bunch of moisture in all of them. I moved them straight to the fridge like an idiot after I poured them. Gonna make a post and see if I can save them somehow.

OfflineMycoTricho
Hermit
Male

Re: When did you finally "get" it? [Re: GrinchGrower]
    #27050465 - 11/21/20 03:29 PM (6 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

GrinchGrower said:
Read, read, read, read, read, read, & read.

I have read quite a bit, but I seem to be one of those people who the information doesn't quite sink in until I try it out myself. I have a decent idea of what to do, it's more the actual doing of it that I'm quite shaky on. (sometimes literally shaky. lol)

OfflineMycoTricho
Hermit
Male

#27050470 - 11/21/20 03:30 PM (6 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

sonoramo said:
Quote:

MycoTricho said:
Quote:

Making windowpane? :acidcat:

Well that's good to know, and it makes sense. It's been years since I had any LSD, and I never got windowpane. Just blotter paper and sugar cubes.

OfflineMycoTricho
Hermit
Male

Re: When did you finally "get" it? [Re: Hikeadellic]
    #27050471 - 11/21/20 03:31 PM (6 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

Hikeadellic said:
You might have a good time going from colonized grain or brf to agar then back to grain after an optional transfer.

That is my plan, but I gotta get the agar to colonize first, then the grain.

OfflineMycoTricho
Hermit
Male

#27050473 - 11/21/20 03:33 PM (6 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

If you have a nearby friend "in the business," getting a clean LC would be a really good way to jump start.

I have been trying to find LC's on some of the sites from the vendors list, but all I can find is gourmet LC's. I may just be missing something, though. Is there a specific vendor you know of who sells Cube LC's?

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Hot Plate, Laminar Flow Hood, Petri Dish, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, geokills, Asante, Shroomism, RogerRabbit, mushboy, fahtster, wildernessjunkie, Ballerium, cronicr, bodhisatta
363 topic views. 3 members, 10 guests and 1 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Print Topic ]
Search this thread:
Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2020 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.037 seconds spending 0.003 seconds on 15 queries.