Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | Next > | Last >
InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Sleet]
    #27034798 - 11/12/20 08:41 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Sleet said:
A real drag. Thought I was being awfully careful, liberal isopropyl use on hands, bag, work surfaces, flame sterilized needle-- but that's troubleshooting. Not looking forward to another few months without antidepressants.

Maybe I'll try agar next... finally get that pressure cooker.

Presterilized grain bags are notoriously prone to bacteria and the longer you take to colonize the grain the smaller your window gets. One day some intrepid person will make a bag that doesn’t go bacterial at the drop of a hat but until that day comes, you’re probably better off DIY.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCelestialexplorer1
Male

Loc: Floating in a tin can
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #27035018 - 11/12/20 10:54 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Plus there just crazy crazy expensive. For the same price you could get enough grain to make 25 bags. It’s just senseless to me but I suppose the convenience is what is appealing to people. I just like saving money is all. That and I can control the amount of water in the grain.

Also if you’re going to be spending a lot of time doing this you should just get the pressure cooker. If this is a temporary fling then presterilized bags might be for you.

--------------------

To spend just one moment in eternity

Edited by Celestialexplorer1 (11/12/20 10:56 AM)

InvisibleF. 3
Flowing
Other
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Gnidrolog]
    #27036529 - 11/13/20 07:49 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Gnidrolog said:
Is this jar bacterial? Noc'd 1 month ago via G2G.

Edit: These are oats.

Not bacterial you are about to have pins bro :lol:

nice myc, a few grains aint colonized tho.

Edited by F. 3 (11/13/20 07:51 AM)

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: F. 3]
    #27036837 - 11/13/20 10:52 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

What type of grain is that, is it millet or corn? Some light colour grain. That could also be an answer.

--------------------
"to affirm life is to also affirm death"
-Albert hofmann

Offlinepopiwave
P o p i w a v e
Female User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Kizzle]
    #27037817 - 11/13/20 09:50 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Does this look like a contam to you guys? I feel it's quite green. Bottom side of the pic just in case you can't find it

OfflineHorace99
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: popiwave]
    #27039052 - 11/14/20 03:51 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Pretty sure it's just cubensis spores, but does this look fine to everyone?

OfflineP0K3R
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Horace99]
    #27040528 - 11/15/20 12:54 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Does this look like its contaminated? I have 3 monotubs in one tent and want to pull this out as soon as possible if it is. I've been doing some research and trying to identify it. I'm guessing it might be black mold but have only dealt with cobweb mold in the past which was easy to get rid of.

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: P0K3R]
    #27040534 - 11/15/20 12:58 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

That looks like get it the fuck out now.

OfflineP0K3R
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27040583 - 11/15/20 01:29 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Ok cool. Any way to identify it? I dunno if you meant it does look like black mold or just get it out because it is bad either way. Is it salvageable? I assume not if it's black mold.

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: darecar33]
    #27040924 - 11/15/20 04:54 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

darecar33 said:
Hello
Sommetimes im having problems with reddish contamination with red dots on top... im doing on rye grain, small jars, sterilized in pressure cooker...all the time same thing...but soometimes half of the jars are contaminated, and the other half there is nice white micelium...i have some pictures..,can somebody please halp me what i am doing wrong?? Thank you

The red looking droplets are metabolites.

You will see this when there is some sort of contamination present that the mycelium is defending against. These metabolites contain antibiotics and compounds that will help fight against bacteria and mold ect.

Sometimes you can get away with spawning jars with mild metabolites, but often the contaminate will show up in the tub. I spawn jars with mild metabolites, but your jars look like they have a lot, do you use agar and then go to grain?

--------------------

OfflineLoneShroomer
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #27041135 - 11/15/20 07:23 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I’ve had this going in monotubs in dark closet for about 11 days now.
2 tubs total
One tub has odd orange patches, very fluffy. Other tub seems fine, just going slow.

I’m worried about the orange patches, do I need to get rid of this tub?

OfflineGnidrolog
Majestic Poobah
 User Gallery

Loc: omotion
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Horace99]
    #27041441 - 11/15/20 11:58 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Horace99 said:
Pretty sure it's just cubensis spores, but does this look fine to everyone?

Yes. If you mean the darkened caps, those are spores.

--------------------

OfflineGnidrolog
Majestic Poobah
 User Gallery

Loc: omotion
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: F. 3]
    #27041443 - 11/15/20 11:59 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

F. 3 said:
Quote:

Gnidrolog said:
Is this jar bacterial? Noc'd 1 month ago via G2G.

Edit: These are oats.

Not bacterial you are about to have pins bro :lol:

nice myc, a few grains aint colonized tho.

In my experience, a jar or bag that is harboring bacteria might still fruit in vitro.

--------------------

OfflineP0K3R
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: LoneShroomer]
    #27042152 - 11/16/20 11:59 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Looks like it could be pink mold/red bread mold.
Check out this page https://www.zamnesia.com/content/546-how-to-identify-a-contaminated-mushroom-culture

It says: Also called Neurospora, it is a fast-growing fungus commonly found in agar and grain. Present everywhere in nature, this contaminant grows through cotton stoppers and filter discs and is very hard to eliminate. Contaminated cultures should be destroyed immediately and a thorough cleaning of the laboratory is necessary.

OfflineAdorable Tangerine
Stranger
Male
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: P0K3R] * 1
    #27043601 - 11/17/20 10:11 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Long time reader of shroomery, first-time poster. I recently encountered a bacterial infection unlike any I could find in this forum or other contamination summaries published online. Given my inexperience, I would like to confirm my diagnosis is correct and learn from this experience.

Background:
Currently running my 2nd ever monotub, first-ever using Bod UnModified tek. Using a 54qt tub with 6lb grain and 15lb substrate (purchased from NorthSpore) and inoculated with Rusty Whyte F9 MSS. On 10/01, I inoculated 2x 3lb grain bags with 5cc of MSS each, colonization went great - thorough growth, all white, no signs of contamination or metabolite secretion. On 10/31, I mixed with 3x 5lb substrate bags and used a liner to prevent side pins. Again, colonization of the substrate went great - beautiful white growth throughout the tub, next to no exposed substrate, no metabolite excretion, smelled mushy. First pins occurred on 11/8, and initial pin clusters developed by 11/11 (pic); it should be noted at the fan accidentally fell on the cake, which explains the stripe pattern in the cake. The primary cluster developed nicely by 11/14 (pic) as more pins formed elsewhere in the tub. After the first pin, I began fanning 3x a day and misting as needed; temp and RH were relatively stable (65-73F and 70-99%). Again, things were going well and everything smelled mushy.

Contamination:
On 11/15, I noticed a cloudy yellow discharge accumulating around half of the main cluster (pic1) (pic 2); for reference, the close up is of the cluster closest to the bottom of the previous image (pic). I tilted the tub to drain the discharge around the cluster and wiped up the discharge every 2hrs (displaced discharge pic). The discharge only occurred around a portion of the main cluster and was not present anywhere else in the tub. Despite all of this, the smell of the monotub was mushy. Even the discharge smelled mushy and non-offensive.

On 11/16, I harvested the mushroom because the veils were starting to break, but mostly out of curiosity (850g wet). During harvesting, I noticed several mushrooms in the offending cluster were wet and slimy. I bisected one mushroom (photo album) for everyone. The mushroom pictured was slimy, and after cutting in half you can see it was rotten through the interior. The cap was bruised on the outside and showed circular discoloring. The discharge appeared to come from the gills as removal of the cap revealed circular discoloration and film on the underside. Prior to harvesting, and only after I bisected the mushroom did I notice that one picture captures discharge weeping from the biopsied mushroom (pic). After harvesting the entire cake, I isolated the fruits that felt slimy (~10%) and bisected all of them; all had compromised gills. However, I also bisected a handful of non-slimy fruits and all appeared healthy and normal.

Diagnosis:
Some additional research leads me to believe that at least some portion of my flush became infected with Drippy Gill bacterial infection caused by Pseudomonas agarici. I suspect this to be the case as you can see water weeping from the Gill region in the first picture. You can also see the dark spots on the gills where the infected mushroom was releasing the cloudy yellow fluid; those dark spots are consistent with the literature.

Path Forward:
After some research, and out of general curiosity, I am currently soaking the cake in 150ppm bleach for 12hrs to see what happens with a 2nd flush. There is much that I don't understand. If the infection occurred at spawn, wouldn't the entire tub be symptomatic? If the infection occurred during the fruiting stage, how and was it preventable?

If I am correct, I am unsure how this happened and how this may be prevented in the future. Given that I have found no posts on the subject, maybe this was a freak accident.

I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts given that I am new to this. I am an engineer and medical researcher, so I aimed to be as thoughtful in my approach learning about growing and mushrooms in general. Please let me know if my logic is incorrect.

OfflineShadowLord
Stranger

#27045076 - 11/18/20 08:37 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Just took these out of the soak.  New at this so thought I would check.  Was not sure if the bright white spots were an issue or not.  The rest of the batch failed because I think I did not have the foil on right during pressure cooker phase and too much water got in the others.  This is the only one that looks like it might have come out right.  When I opened the lid there was some white fuzz in the vermiculite layer that I was not sure if it was mold or not. I removed that layer and rinsed before soaking.

OfflineSilverSloth

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Kizzle]
    #27048413 - 11/20/20 06:03 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Great guide for a newbie like me . 🙏

OfflineShroomBoomBoomBoom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Left Coast
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: SilverSloth]
    #27052296 - 11/22/20 01:45 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Posted this elsewhere but getting no response, probably didn't post it to the correct forum. Noob n all

This doesn't look convincingly like mycelium to me. I could be convinced either way, but I'm looking for other opinions:

Mazatepec MS to agar to LC to grain.

--------------------
I came for the myc, I stay for the trich

OfflineTolldom
Noob Swede
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: ShroomBoomBoomBoom]
    #27055351 - 11/24/20 11:09 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Hey guys..

I bought some lions mane mycelium grewn on sawdust... I want to keep it going on agar so I tried to put it on a few plates and all of them looked like they where contaminated...

Although there was a small small fruit in the box aswell, and i cloned it on 2 plates and one got contaminated...

Anyways, i got it going.. Super thin and whispy mycelium..
Later on when half the plate was covered, i started to transfer it to other plates...

Some of my plates have just a tiny bit whipy mycelium and some didnt want to grow at all..
Two of the plates got something looking like bacteria but at the same time it looks like fruiting lions mane.. Could it be growing through the agar and have started to fruit or WTF is this!?

2 pictures is taken with my "WiFi microscope"

Is this normal growth or just some wierd bacteria i got here??
The plate i transfered from just have whispy mycelium but this shit is on two of the newer transferred plates.
Cant really see just looking pictures since lions mane like to start fruiting on the agar i suppose.

Thanks

OfflineDet0x
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Tolldom]
    #27055479 - 11/24/20 12:41 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Having some weird growth in one of my tubs that just does not look right to me at all. no weird smells or anything coming from the tub yet but it definitly looks weird.

Edited by Det0x (11/24/20 12:53 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract