Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OnlineStudy The CNS
Anecdotal Subtext

80 year-old dies after eating poisoned mushrooms
    #27044969 - 11/18/20 06:12 AM (7 days, 19 hours ago)

With the onset of autumn and damp, misty mornings, magic stirs in the leaves of forests all over Spain as mushrooms emerge from the leaf litter covering forest floors.
Spain has an astonishing range of mushrooms; more than 3,000 in total of which under 1,000 are potentially edible and mushrooms are an important part of the national gastronomy.

These vary throughout Spain and are regularly harvested by mushroom lovers in the autumn, but amongst the Saffron milk caps, black truffles, king trumpets, wood blewits, shaggy ink caps and dessert truffles lurk many poisonous varieties and each year there are reports of poisonings, sometimes proving fatal.

The most dangerous frequently found are the hepatotoxic mushrooms - especially the amanita phalloides -, which are the cause of 90% of fatalities resulting from the consumption of wild mushrooms. These contain a toxic venom which attacks the cells that form the liver. It is a mushroom that tastes good and smells good, but its effects don´t become obvious until 6 or 8 hours after ingestion, attacking vital organs for which urgent medical intervention is required.

This is the mushroom being blamed for the death of an 81-year-old man, habitual resident of Vigo but residing in Redemuiños, Quintela de Leirado in Ourense (region of Galicia).

His wife is currently hospitalised in Ourense, and has been very ill from eating the same mushrooms, but in smaller quantities, and is expected to survive.

Mycologists insist on the need to take training courses, participate in technical outings with experts and consult informative books, collecting only the mushrooms that are known "100%, without a doubt, to be safe to eat."

The most common deadly mushroom in Ourense is the Amanita phalloides (known as the Death Cap in the UK), which causes most of the serious poisonings that occur and is the culprit in this sad case.

It is characterized by having an olive- green hat, with white plates, a ring in the shape of a skirt and a back at the end of the foot.

https://murciatoday.com/80-year_old-dies-after-eating-poisoned-mushrooms_1526723-a.html

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGanodermalucidum
Pollinator of the Universe
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: 80 year-old dies after eating poisoned mushrooms [Re: Study The CNS]
    #27045005 - 11/18/20 06:39 AM (7 days, 18 hours ago)

Lol @ "contains a toxic venom". No fungus is venomous.

--------------------

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
    #27045120 - 11/18/20 08:08 AM (7 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

Study The CNS said:
...The most common deadly mushroom in Ourense is the Amanita phalloides (known as the Death Cap in the UK), which causes most of the serious poisonings that occur and is the culprit in this sad case.

That's what it's called in California as well. I guess this is written for "consumption" in the UK.

Quote:

It is characterized by having an olive-green hat, with white plates, a ring in the shape of a skirt and a back at the end of the foot.

I assume "plates" are what we call "gills." But "back at the end of the foot"? WTH does that mean? It's probably some kind of volva reference. Could someone with understanding of UK-English translate for the rest of the world?

And, spore color is probably the most reliable identifier when you key out a mushroom. Any responsible article should tell new foragers that you really want to know the color of the spores if you're going to eat a wild mushroom.

OfflineHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: 80 year-old dies after eating poisoned mushrooms [Re: sonoramo] * 1
    #27045121 - 11/18/20 08:09 AM (7 days, 17 hours ago)

Watch out for mushroom bites.

OfflineskOsH
a little bit of chaos

Loc: the PNW
Re: 80 year-old dies after eating poisoned mushrooms [Re: Holybullshit]
    #27045466 - 11/18/20 11:24 AM (7 days, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
Watch out for mushroom bites.

Definitely. The sign that a mushroom is edible is if some other wildlife have eaten some. I've never seen a Phalloides with anything eating it...because nature knows that they're deadly

--------------------
The universe is a bitch, a liar, and a thief, and easily a sorcerer but I guess I am an agent of it so I will do its bidding by getting shit on? I don't understand. I also really don't care. Do you?

OfflineHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: 80 year-old dies after eating poisoned mushrooms [Re: skOsH]
    #27045974 - 11/18/20 04:20 PM (7 days, 9 hours ago)

I was making a (bad)joke about the use of the word venom, but that is good advice.

Guess I should have said to watch out for mushrooms that bite.

OfflineskOsH
a little bit of chaos

Loc: the PNW
Re: 80 year-old dies after eating poisoned mushrooms [Re: Holybullshit]
    #27053428 - 11/23/20 05:13 AM (2 days, 20 hours ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
I was making a (bad)joke about the use of the word venom, but that is good advice.

Guess I should have said to watch out for mushrooms that bite.

Oh haha yeah at first I was like, ah, good joke, but then I remembered the part about how poisonous mushrooms almost never have bites out of them, decided to go with that

But it was a good joke nonetheless, made me laugh xD

--------------------
The universe is a bitch, a liar, and a thief, and easily a sorcerer but I guess I am an agent of it so I will do its bidding by getting shit on? I don't understand. I also really don't care. Do you?

OnlineAsanteA
low dose - high adventure
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Netherlands Flag
    #27053645 - 11/23/20 08:30 AM (2 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

Study The CNS said:

poisoned mushrooms

Have they caught who did it yet?

--------------------
CLICK ONE -->  :gold:  :silver:  <-- GO PLACES
SEARCH ENGINE  SUPPORT TICKETS  STORE  SPONSORS/VENDORS  AMANI

personal Ethereum gifts w/o strings attached are very welcome at:
0x9e107aC7656A4b2Fc295Ef5157f06B8E313D7aFa    Ethereum?

OnlineStudy The CNS
Anecdotal Subtext

Re: 80 year-old dies after eating poisoned mushrooms [Re: Asante]
    #27053679 - 11/23/20 09:03 AM (2 days, 16 hours ago)

:biggrin:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service