Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Amazon Ranch Dressing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands, USA Flag
US Congress expected to vote on decriminalizing marijuana at federal level in December
    #27043031 - 11/16/20 10:39 PM (11 days, 6 hours ago)

US Congress expected to vote on decriminalizing marijuana at federal level in December
fox17.com

The U.S. House of Representatives is expected to vote in December on legislation that would decriminalize marijuana.

House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-MD-5) issued an update on the status of House bills last week, stating he expects a vote on the bill to come next month.

The vote will be taken on the “Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement Act of 2019," otherwise known as the MORE Act of 2019. The bill is sponsored by Vice President-elect Kamala Harris in the Senate and Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-NY-10) in the House.

Under the bill, marijuana would be removed from the list of scheduled substances under the Controlled Substances Act and criminal penalties for those who manufacture, distribute, or possess marijuana would be eliminated.

In addition, the bill would impose a 5% tax on cannabis products to be deposited in a trust fund which would support various programs to communities impacted by the war on drugs. Among other actions, it would also expunge convictions related to federal cannabis offenses.

The House version has 118 co-sponsors from both sides of the aisle, including Tennessee Rep. Steve Cohen and Kentucky Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY-3).

The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) has also created a message form for those who support the bill to contact their local representative. The organization says passage of the bill would help end racial disparities in marijuana arrest rates.

Several states voted to enact marijuana reform during the November 3rd election, passing laws which ranged from allowing recreational use to legalizing medical use.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAmanita86
OTD District Attorney
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: US Congress expected to vote on decriminalizing marijuana at federal level in December [Re: Ythan] * 1
    #27043042 - 11/16/20 10:44 PM (11 days, 6 hours ago)

This actually sounds good...:uhoh::paranoid:

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

OfflineHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: US Congress expected to vote on decriminalizing marijuana at federal level in December [Re: Amanita86]
    #27043248 - 11/17/20 04:36 AM (11 days, 28 minutes ago)

This is a basically a duplicate and may be closed, but in case it isn't.

Quote:

It'll probably make it through the House, but not the Senate, which is still controlled by the GOP.

There's a big difference between people who vote GOP and the people who populate it.

For more examples

In general, one of the big differences between conservatives and liberals is one actually pays attention to government policy and the machinations of our bureaucracy...while GOP voters are either 1 issue voters(guns, abortion, etc.), or vote GOP because of how they "feel" about the parties/politics(which makes them extremely susceptible to propaganda and outside pressures like family and community).

They are either hardcore brainwashed, or they don't care enough about politics to actually follow what goes on in our government on a day to day basis...they don't even really understand the differences between the two parties. So they either vote with their community, or vote with whoever's propaganda resonated with them more...and when you are willing to lie shamelessly, it's pretty easy to convince people who are only half paying attention to vote for you.

Obviously this is a generalization, and I don't mean so much moderate conservatives or centrists who sometimes vote GOP, I'm talking about the type of people who voted for Trump twice. I mean, I've got my own libertarian streak...but at this point, outside of corporate interests, the GOP is the furthest thing you can get from libertarianism.

Just look how so many progressive priorities and parts of the democratic platform poll so well, there are just tons of people who vote GOP out of habit, out of pressure, or out of emotion that if they really educated themselves would realize they are voting against their own self-interests...but they can't or don't want to get out of the republican infosphere or don't even care to learn the truth for a subconscious fear of admitting to themselves they have been wrong.

Just look at how many people are buying this voter fraud bullshit. Facts, logic, and reason do not govern who they vote for, but may be able to apply them to policy issues in isolation.

And AZ is about to have 2 democratic senators and went for Biden, it's not the red state it used to be.

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: US Congress expected to vote on decriminalizing marijuana at federal level in December [Re: Ythan]
    #27043739 - 11/17/20 12:46 PM (10 days, 16 hours ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
....Under the bill, marijuana would be removed from the list of scheduled substances under the Controlled Substances Act and criminal penalties for those who manufacture, distribute, or possess marijuana would be eliminated.

In addition, the bill would impose a 5% tax on cannabis products to be deposited in a trust fund which would support various programs to communities impacted by the war on drugs. Among other actions, it would also expunge convictions related to federal cannabis offenses.

I've been curious what will happen when the plant becomes "legal" on a federal level and is no longer considered a scheduled-1 drug.

When cannabis goes legal federally will that impact or change the cannabis laws/regulations in states that have already gone fully "legal" ?....Does this "MORE ACT" just remove cannabis from the list of schedule-1 drugs and slap a 5% federal tax on top of the taxes already in place in legal states and just continue to let states decide how they want to regulate the plant?

Or does it actually impose specific laws/regulations that states must follow and will change the current rec markets in legal states?....I'm going to read into it all eventually, just kinda rambling my thoughts ATM.

And man....while part of me supports a 5% tax being used for the sorts of things they say they want to do with that 5%, the taxes in legal states are already absurd and thick layers of taxes will only help the black market which hasn't gone anywhere yet (which I don't inherently have a problem with lol, but just saying the enormous taxes aren't helping if they want the legal market to "thrive"). That 5% tax will bump some cities/counties in legal states up to damn near 40% to 45% tax on the marked price (most counties & municipalities in legal states are already around 30% to 35%+ tax).....

....an 8th of mediocre weed in stores is already about $25 to $30 before tax (which is the very most an 8th should cost in general IMO), so one will be paying damn near $45 to $50 for a few little nugs that are mediocre in quality. And 8ths of so called "dank" or "top shelf" in stores are marked around $40 to $60, so one will be paying around $70 to $100+ for a mere 8th of weed. It's ridiculous. I grew several pounds of herb this year for less than $300 lol, and it's much better quality that most of what's found in stores.

Out the door, I feel one shouldn't be paying anymore than 10% tax all together. 25% to 30% to 40%+ taxes is crazy, especially when most of the herb in stores isn't that great (at least here in Cali).

-OM

--------------------

OfflineHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: US Congress expected to vote on decriminalizing marijuana at federal level in December [Re: openmind]
    #27043879 - 11/17/20 02:24 PM (10 days, 14 hours ago)

By the sound of it regulation would be completely up to the states, would still be illegal where its illegal, and there is just a 5% tax on all legally sold cannabis products. I presume at POS.

For states where its already legal, they just wouldn't have to worry about federal LEO anymore and hopefully this would encourage banks to do business with the cannabis industry.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Amazon Ranch Dressing

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service