Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Dehydrator, Humidity Meter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleIdiotCircusBoy
Human Person
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Check out my agar, please? [Re: karri0n]
    #27092848 - 12/16/20 09:33 PM (2 months, 15 days ago)

Bravo to both of you for sharing.  I just don't have it in me right now so will only comment on the grains.  Do a side by side comparison of your grains to the ones in the post you put a link to and tell me you don't see a major difference.  After you do this I'm sure you'll feel better about them.

--------------------
Just call me Idiot

"People hasten to judge in order not to be judged themselves."

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrenik
Wow!
 User Gallery

Re: Check out my agar, please? [Re: IdiotCircusBoy]
    #27093562 - 12/17/20 07:54 AM (2 months, 14 days ago)

How are you planning to grow out your jars?

--------------------
Engineer | Pilot | Cordwainer | Brewer | Distiller | Wine Enthusiast |

Prints

Offlineblack strat
Strangler

Re: Check out my agar, please? [Re: Grenik]
    #27094506 - 12/17/20 06:20 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

Quote:

Grenik said:
How are you planning to grow out your jars?

ideally I'd like to do shoeboxes, which I have around a dozen of.  if I finally get there, what's a good humidity percentage to be at?  I'm reading people have theirs in the 90s.. is this just for inside the actual tub, or its surrounding area too? right now I'm in the 40s, but I'm assuming it doesn't really matter while they're still in jars, right?

Offlinekarri0n
No Title
 User Gallery

Re: Check out my agar, please? [Re: black strat]
    #27094735 - 12/17/20 08:25 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

That 90% number is inside the fruiting chamber. In this case the shoebox itself.

For growing cubes, most experts will tell you to throw out your humidity gauge and just follow the tek, misting if the substrate starts to dry.

The real place that your RH matters is on the surface of the sub, and it's impossible to measure. Case in point, Cronicr's tek about growing without a fruiting chamber at all. https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/21288129

If your shoeboxes dry out too fast, keep them in a monotub with either a cracked lid or some holes.

I have my shoeboxes in a ghetto martha, and the humidity in there goes between 85 and 94.
Theoretically the shoebox isn't necessary in such a case because the martha itself is a type of FC.

I'm going to experiment with the shoeboxes lid open in the martha and also just keeping the shoeboxes on a shelf.

I'm still getting the hang of proper surface conditions. If you don't have the surface conditions proper, then the fruits will be smaller and pins less plentiful. Perfect surface conditions will usually get you canopies, but genetics play a factor too. My last shoebox gave 13.5g dry on the first flush. You can get 1-2 oz in a flush when you've really gotten it down.

If you're gonna be running 6 boxes at once(man I need to get some condiment containers, I'm jelly of your 20+ t2's), you should be able to experiment enough to get your learning curve quickly, pulling sick canopies.

Edited by karri0n (12/17/20 09:27 PM)

OfflineGrenik
Wow!
 User Gallery

#27094792 - 12/17/20 09:02 PM (2 months, 14 days ago)

I have had 2 shoeboxes produce and 2 fail, ... so not the best for advice.

If you have not worked with coir before, then take a couple cups worth and start adding water. You need to know what field capacity is like and then be just a little drier than that. So add water until you can squeeze out a drop or two (field capacity) and then add just a little more coir and squeeze that. This is what you want in your shoeboxes. You will have to add boiling water to a cooler, or sterilize, or whatever your TEK calls for, but before it goes into the shoebox, make sure the water content is right.

Then, resist the temptation to look at it every hour and also resist the “feeling” that it is too wet or too dry and make adjustments. Also, throw away your peroxide, bleach, etc. You are not going to try and treat every spot you think may be mold or whatever. Follow the TEK. Take notes and make adjustments on your next batch if you need to.

--------------------
Engineer | Pilot | Cordwainer | Brewer | Distiller | Wine Enthusiast |

Prints

Offlineblack strat
Strangler

Re: Check out my agar, please? [Re: Grenik]
    #27095142 - 12/18/20 02:08 AM (2 months, 13 days ago)

thanks y'all.

and karri0n, I think you were right dude -- I just shook up another jar earlier today that had none of those little dark discolorations in it, then went back to look at it some hours later, and I started spotting them here and there.. leads me to believe, like you said, it's just some bruising. still keeping a watchful eye, but it was a sigh-worthy moment. :thumbup:

Offlineblack strat
Strangler

#27105094 - 12/24/20 02:59 AM (2 months, 7 days ago)

hey guys.. thought I'd throw an update..

I'm a total dumbass for not marking the date on these, but looking back at past posts, I'm thinking it was around Dec 10th that I knocked these up, so ~2 weeks. 

the first few pics are of the same jar, and that's the one that I shook up twice now. I read one shake at 30% and another at ~80% is standard, right?

the other 3 jars/remaining pics have each been shook once, at around 30%.

in person, I don't see any obvious contams, but I also have pretty thick noob-googles on my face, hah.

I guess if I had a question, it would be - does the grain have to be more/less *consumed* by the myc before you can even think about transferring to bulk?  it appears to me that most of the oats are FULL of myc on the inside, where the actual nutrients reside, which would make sense to me, logically. but the pics I've seen of others' jars looks like their myc is overwhelming their grains, shell and all, in a good way. and I'm jus not seeing my myc in the same light lol. mine is kinda.... weak looking?  dunno. what do you bros think?

and if someone were to, and I'm not saying I'm even contemplating this but, put these jars in their current state to bulk, what would happen? outta curiosity. stall-city?  death?

thanks.

Edited by black strat (12/24/20 06:44 PM)

Offlinekarri0n
No Title
 User Gallery

#27107328 - 12/25/20 01:55 PM (2 months, 6 days ago)

I've seen the same thing where the myc doesn't look as thick and white as some forum pics. This could be bacterial, but it might also be normal.

The jars where it's covering everything but still sorta thin, I'd wait a 1-2 days for it to thicken, then spawn to a shoebox. Smell em when you're breaking it up, it should just be mushroomy.

I'd be more worried about the jars with the larger uncolonized patches. They might just need a shake but that could also be bacteria preventing colonization. They might end up stinking once you spawn them.

Since you're doing shoeboxes and not a tub, you don't have to worry about some jars contaminating others since it's one jar per box.

--------------------
Anything written above is just as likely to be accurate as it is to be corrected by someone smarter than me two posts from now.

My Journal / Grow Log

Offlineblack strat
Strangler

#27108240 - 12/26/20 06:32 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

ahhh, ya think so maybe?  oof, that's a bit of a bummer if it's the case..  I checked on em a little bit ago, and it seems they're all mostly colonized now, with no super-bare patches anymore, but still mostly just thin layers of myc. I am also seeing more rhyzo(?)-type growth too though. little spots, here and there, of tendrils sprouting up, which is pretty cool lookin. its what I've been hoping to see in the jars from the very beginning.

kinda torn between just waiting and waiting, wanting to see how thick they're gonna get, and just spawning to bulk like ya said.

so let's say it does happen to be bacterial, and that's where the thinness is coming from -- would you happen to know if this is the kind of bacteria that'll prevent ANY fruiting?  because I think there's some bacteria that just lessens your yield, but will end up still being edible. yea?  I guess we'll just find out if and when we finally get there, but if fruit is 'unsafe' to consume, it'll be evident as to why, right?  meaning, FFWD to my shoeboxes fruiting, right, and me harvesting, bacteria that'll be dangerous to consume will be clearly visible?

sorry for the weird hypotheticals lol, just wanna know what I should be looking out for. because I think I've read that you can have bacteria living in your boxes, and not even be aware of it, because all it does is weaken your potential quantity/size of your fruits.. right?

Offlineblack strat
Strangler

#27108259 - 12/26/20 07:13 AM (2 months, 5 days ago)

so, here's actually a really cool example:

the red circles are reference points i used to identify new growth near them, and the blue circles are areas im seeing new growth..

so, here you can see exactly what I meant by new growth, and this actually happened in the span of a day/36 hrs..

makes me kinda think to maybe just let them keep goin and do their thing..?

Offlinekarri0n
No Title
 User Gallery

#27109086 - 12/26/20 04:22 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Quote:

black strat said:
ahhh, ya think so maybe?  oof, that's a bit of a bummer if it's the case..  I checked on em a little bit ago, and it seems they're all mostly colonized now, with no super-bare patches anymore, but still mostly just thin layers of myc. I am also seeing more rhyzo(?)-type growth too though. little spots, here and there, of tendrils sprouting up, which is pretty cool lookin. its what I've been hoping to see in the jars from the very beginning.

kinda torn between just waiting and waiting, wanting to see how thick they're gonna get, and just spawning to bulk like ya said.

so let's say it does happen to be bacterial, and that's where the thinness is coming from -- would you happen to know if this is the kind of bacteria that'll prevent ANY fruiting?  because I think there's some bacteria that just lessens your yield, but will end up still being edible. yea?  I guess we'll just find out if and when we finally get there, but if fruit is 'unsafe' to consume, it'll be evident as to why, right?  meaning, FFWD to my shoeboxes fruiting, right, and me harvesting, bacteria that'll be dangerous to consume will be clearly visible?

sorry for the weird hypotheticals lol, just wanna know what I should be looking out for. because I think I've read that you can have bacteria living in your boxes, and not even be aware of it, because all it does is weaken your potential quantity/size of your fruits.. right?

I'm not an expert on that by any means. Ive seen what looked like healthy but maybe weaker myc spawn to bulk and end up just stinking like sour milk with no fruits. I've seen it work fine too and produce what seemed to be perfectly healthy fruits.

I think generally if the fruits don't look or smell rotten they are ok. If you are using a dehydrator, that will make it double safe as that will kill off most any bacteria.

Your jars look like they're still cooking and doing pretty fine to me, especially if those second two pics are the same as the first two.

--------------------
Anything written above is just as likely to be accurate as it is to be corrected by someone smarter than me two posts from now.

My Journal / Grow Log

Offlineblack strat
Strangler

Re: Check out my agar, please? [Re: karri0n] * 1
    #27109112 - 12/26/20 04:30 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

yeah, they are. the top two directly correspond to the one directly underneath it.. I was trying to show their differences in just a day or two.

I was basically using the one or two much darker oat shells and their orientation in the jar, sorta like a landmark, to locate where new growth has happened very recently. that's why I circled the landmarks in red, and what WILL be the new growth areas [in the bottom pics] in green, in the first/top pics.. sorry I didn't really make that too clear. I feel like I'm still failing to explain it coherently hahah.

thanks man.

Edited by black strat (12/26/20 04:37 PM)

InvisibleIdiotCircusBoy
Human Person
Male User Gallery

#27109670 - 12/26/20 10:02 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

Quote:

karri0n said:
Ive seen what looked like healthy but maybe weaker myc spawn to bulk and end up just stinking like sour milk with no fruits. I've seen it work fine too and produce what seemed to be perfectly healthy fruits.

IMO karri0n is 100% on this.  Stop looking at your jars so much.  Put the fuckers to bulk in a day or two.  You're the man!!

--------------------
Just call me Idiot

Offlineblack strat
Strangler

Re: Check out my agar, please? [Re: IdiotCircusBoy] * 1
    #27109774 - 12/26/20 11:13 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

lmao, ^^^^THIS is the advice I needed bro, but stupidly wasn't following myself.. leave the fookin jars alone!!

so right tho, getting neurotic with these shits smh..

I'll do better Circus, I promise man.:grin:

Offlineblack strat
Strangler

#27126310 - 01/04/21 04:33 PM (1 month, 27 days ago)

hey bros.

got 2 shoeboxes. everything seems to be goin ok, cept today I got home from work and pulled em out, and they were still pretty damp. I've only been misting when the coir turns light brown, and not too much, and I think I've been doin alright on that end.

all I smell is mushrooms. but stagnant water makes my butt pucker up when I see it.. I've came pretty far lol, don't wanna fucking blow it due to too much/over-care..

for now I've jimmied the tops, creating gaps at the corners for some FAE, hoping this will get rid of some extra moisture -- will that work??

pics ain't all that great, and yeah, most of the surface has a lovely dewy presence all over the myc.. there are some suuuuper small areas i can see some myc becoming sliiiiightly soggy, especially if it were to just stay as wet as it is now.

what do we think, bros?

Invisiblecoversall
إِنْ شَاءَ ٱللَهُ‎

Loc: संसार
    #27126387 - 01/04/21 05:10 PM (1 month, 27 days ago)

Just in case you hadn't come across, this thread may be of interest to you at this stage of your grow.

--------------------

..:: B E H E R E N O W ::..

..:: New? Lost? Click here! ::..
..:: Grow logs and other rubbish ::..

InvisibleIdiotCircusBoy
Human Person
Male User Gallery

Re: Check out my agar, please? [Re: coversall]
    #27126823 - 01/04/21 08:21 PM (1 month, 27 days ago)

:whathesaid:

strat - other than those few areas that haven't colonized yet, I think it's lookin good.  You want beads of water all over it and ya got beads of water all over it.  You can probably put that shit into fruiting.  How many days in are you?  It sounds like you are getting a feel for it.  Just FYI you may get more responses from a new post.  I think we're way past the "Check out my agar, please" phase.  Damn, so stoked for you.

--------------------
Just call me Idiot

Edited by IdiotCircusBoy (01/04/21 08:23 PM)

Offlinekarri0n
No Title
 User Gallery

Re: Check out my agar, please? [Re: IdiotCircusBoy]
    #27127059 - 01/04/21 10:35 PM (1 month, 27 days ago)

My best advice would be worry less and mess with it less than that. It's colonizing great as far as I can see and the surface looks near perfect.

If it's drying that quickly with the lid closed that you've needed to mist it more than a couple times, I'd be cautious of cracking the lid for fear of drying too quickly.

--------------------

My Journal / Grow Log

Offlineblack strat
Strangler

#27127289 - 01/05/21 02:02 AM (1 month, 26 days ago)

Quote:

IdiotCircusBoy said:
:whathesaid:

strat - other than those few areas that haven't colonized yet, I think it's lookin good.  You want beads of water all over it and ya got beads of water all over it.  You can probably put that shit into fruiting.  How many days in are you?  It sounds like you are getting a feel for it.  Just FYI you may get more responses from a new post.  I think we're way past the "Check out my agar, please" phase.  Damn, so stoked for you.

hey buddy! thanks man, I'm pretty amped, myself! I am about 1 week in.  man, I gotta say.. that spawn just started fuckin ripping thru the coir, almost immediately. I was very curious to see what it'd do, because it definitely looked kinda weak in the jars.. my personal theory is the oats weren't perfect - I actually opened a few up when I put it to coir, and the insides were a little dry/brittle.. but anyway, who gives a fuck haha, we're past that now, brother!

just in the few hours since my last post, both boxes are now just about fully colonized.. fuck, I'm excited.. hopefully it all works out dude.. still biting my nails, tho..

Quote:

karri0n said:
My best advice would be worry less and mess with it less than that. It's colonizing great as far as I can see and the surface looks near perfect.

If it's drying that quickly with the lid closed that you've needed to mist it more than a couple times, I'd be cautious of cracking the lid for fear of drying too quickly.

yea dude -- for sure wanna just leave it alone..

I only cracked the lids when I panicked for a few mins, then made that other post, and got advice super quick, then closed em back up. some moisture has indeed evaporated,  but we still got a full field of water droplets.

thanks bud.

Offlinekarri0n
No Title
 User Gallery

#27129936 - 01/06/21 11:41 AM (1 month, 25 days ago)

Hey man you should post a link to your shoebox thread for folks who want to follow along

--------------------

My Journal / Grow Log

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Dehydrator, Humidity Meter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started