Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Toilet Paper

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineblack strat
Strangler

Re: Check out my agar, please? *DELETED* [Re: black strat]
    #27069222 - 12/03/20 03:26 AM (2 months, 30 days ago)

Post deleted by black strat

Reason for deletion: .

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekarri0n
No Title
 User Gallery

Re: Check out my agar, please? [Re: black strat]
    #27069802 - 12/03/20 12:55 PM (2 months, 29 days ago)

Yeah the cotton sticking up from the xfer is 150% normal.

Yeah my oats get stuff in them all the time. Someone who processed my oats is going bald, lost their wig in my bag, or got scalped by a farm machine. I'm pulling human hair out of every handful.

If you're doing small enough batches just grab foreign objects out. Bigger producers leave it in, it all gets sterilized in the PC.

There's a pic floating around on the forums of one guy with a big ass beetle in his pc'd jar. Myc ate him up too.

--------------------
Anything written above is just as likely to be accurate as it is to be corrected by someone smarter than me two posts from now.

My Journal / Grow Log

Edited by karri0n (12/03/20 01:00 PM)

Offlineblack strat
Strangler

Re: Check out my agar, please? [Re: karri0n]
    #27069976 - 12/03/20 02:33 PM (2 months, 29 days ago)

hahah, Roger that. thanks man. bout to transfer these puppies.  oats been soaking for ~11 hours.. all is well right now.

OfflineGrenik
Wow!
 User Gallery

Re: Check out my agar, please? [Re: black strat] * 1
    #27070819 - 12/03/20 11:48 PM (2 months, 29 days ago)

I use the same oats and they have been fine. I use this TEK for the oats.

I have had no issue with them. I use RR's rye TEK and BODs oat TEK depending upon what I have locally. I do not notice any growth difference in the jars or bags, but if they were a day or two different I probably wouldn't notice.

--------------------
Engineer | Pilot | Cordwainer | Brewer | Distiller | Wine Enthusiast |

Prints

Offlineblack strat
Strangler

Re: Check out my agar, please? [Re: Grenik]
    #27070881 - 12/04/20 12:32 AM (2 months, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Grenik said:
I use the same oats and they have been fine. I use this TEK for the oats.

I have had no issue with them. I use RR's rye TEK and BODs oat TEK depending upon what I have locally. I do not notice any growth difference in the jars or bags, but if they were a day or two different I probably wouldn't notice.

yeah man! that's the tek i used too.. and i have a kinda pressing question i left in there, but it's still unanswered ----

"So I may have jumped the gun just a little bit - followed the tek, and am at the point of drying the oats.  The issue is that my agar plates won't be ready for another few days to noc up the grain jars.  I have not PCed the grain yet, it's still just all laid out on towels drying.

My question is, how can I or how should I store the hydrated grain?  Bod says he'll throw them in the fridge over night, and that 'you can't get oats too dry', and 'dryer is better', etc.  Will this still be true after, say, a week?  Can I store the oats for ~1 week?  I'm inclined to load up 4 or 5 shoeboxes w/ the cooked oats and keep them in the fridge for a few days until my plates are ready for the jars.  Will the oats be, more or less, the same 5-7 days from now when I take them outta the fridge?

Should I instead proceed to PC the grain in jars, and then store them after that step? Why or why not, please?

Thanks for any and all responses.  Have a lovely night."

hopefully someone somewhere can help me soon lol

OfflineGrenik
Wow!
 User Gallery

#27070891 - 12/04/20 12:45 AM (2 months, 29 days ago)

I PC them and then let them sit until I need them.  I have had them sit a couple weeks before transferring agar to them and they were fine.  Not sure what is “right”, but after PC they should be fine for a long time.

--------------------

Prints

Offlineblack strat
Strangler

#27070959 - 12/04/20 01:25 AM (2 months, 29 days ago)

ok thanks man.

OfflineMellowH
Explorer
Male
    #27070974 - 12/04/20 01:40 AM (2 months, 29 days ago)

I did the brf to bulk tek and got a fatty on my second flush that I wanted to try cloning. I’ve not done agar before and don’t know what to expect. I split the core into 4 plates and none are doing anything but this one. Is this contaminated? It’s been a week since I started it.

Offlinekarri0n
No Title
 User Gallery

#27070976 - 12/04/20 01:42 AM (2 months, 29 days ago)

Definitely pc them asap.

Once moisturized, they are a perfect food source for any bacteria and mold and yeast which has landed on them during drying, woken up inside them, is in the water, etc, and will start eating the nutrition and breaking down the oats.

Once pc'd they are sterile, and if kept that way, could be good for years.

--------------------
Anything written above is just as likely to be accurate as it is to be corrected by someone smarter than me two posts from now.

My Journal / Grow Log

OfflineMellowH
Explorer
Male
    #27070987 - 12/04/20 01:59 AM (2 months, 29 days ago)

Thanks, I didn’t realize till you mentioned it but this is the only one with condensation.  Is there anything to save here or just wait for the others to grow?

Edited by MellowH (12/04/20 02:55 AM)

OfflineGrenik
Wow!
 User Gallery

Re: Check out my agar, please? [Re: MellowH]
    #27071412 - 12/04/20 10:43 AM (2 months, 28 days ago)

Quote:

MellowH said:
Thanks, I didn’t realize till you mentioned it but this is the only one with condensation.  Is there anything to save here or just wait for the others to grow?

It is difficult to tell what you have in the center with the condensation. The two edge blobs do not look good to me. Did you follow a cloning TEK (wipe with alcohol, take samples from inside the flesh, etc?)

Did you use a SAB for the work?

--------------------

Prints

OfflineMellowH
Explorer
Male
    #27071499 - 12/04/20 11:52 AM (2 months, 28 days ago)

Quote:

Grenik said:

It is difficult to tell what you have in the center with the condensation. The two edge blobs do not look good to me. Did you follow a cloning TEK (wipe with alcohol, take samples from inside the flesh, etc?)

Did you use a SAB for the work?

I couldn’t get a better picture but it’s looking more like what I’ve seen as good growth in the middle this morning. I did use a SAB sprayed with soapy water. For the tek, I found an old video Paul Stamets did on cloning and followed that. I took the sample from the core of the base of the stem. Is it safe to open the dish and cut the good out without contaminating a new plate?

OfflineGrenik
Wow!
 User Gallery

#27072042 - 12/04/20 04:44 PM (2 months, 28 days ago)

If you think you have good growth in the center, then you would take a transfer from the leading edge of the good growth and transfer it to a new plate. Pick a location as far from contams as you can.

The transfer is done in the SAB wearing gloves, alcohol wipe of the gloves, etc. Flame sterilize your scalpel outside the SAB and make your transfer.

Did you pour your own agar plates? The contams at the edge being almost 180° apart imply you may have touched the edge of the dish when you removed and replaced the lid (during pouring or cloning). Practice!

--------------------

Prints

InvisibleIdiotCircusBoy
Human Person
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Check out my agar, please? [Re: Grenik] * 1
    #27072320 - 12/04/20 07:43 PM (2 months, 28 days ago)

MellowH can you take a picture from the bottom?  Transferring to a new plate as per Grenik's advice should be fine as long as you don't touch the contaminated portion which is why he is telling you to:

Quote:

Grenik said:
Pick a location as far from contams as you can.

If you need more advice on this then you should start a new post cause ur kinda jacking OP's post, and it get's confusing when two different people are asking questions.

OfflineMellowH
Explorer
Male
    #27072351 - 12/04/20 08:00 PM (2 months, 28 days ago)

I did pour my own plates. I used bods comprehensive tek. That does make sense that I probably touched the sides cause I could tell I was slipping. I’ll try to pay better attention next time. Thanks for the insight.

OfflineMellowH
Explorer
Male
    #27072394 - 12/04/20 08:19 PM (2 months, 28 days ago)

IdiotCircusBoy here’s the bottom.

I thought this was the thread for these questions and must have started my post wrong. I think I’ve got enough to go on.. Thanks.

OfflineGrenik
Wow!
 User Gallery

#27072725 - 12/05/20 12:44 AM (2 months, 28 days ago)

Quote:

MellowH said:
I did pour my own plates. I used bods comprehensive tek. That does make sense that I probably touched the sides cause I could tell I was slipping. I’ll try to pay better attention next time. Thanks for the insight.

That is a great TEK, just keep refining your technique through practice.  I poured 80 plates a few weeks ago and have used about 70% of them.  Today when I grabbed one it had growth on it already at the edge.  It happens.

Good luck.

--------------------

Prints

Offlineblack strat
Strangler

#27072976 - 12/05/20 07:56 AM (2 months, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Grenik said:
Quote:

MellowH said:

That is a great TEK, just keep refining your technique through practice.  I poured 80 plates a few weeks ago and have used about 70% of them.  Today when I grabbed one it had growth on it already at the edge.  It happens.

Good luck.

uggghh, this is what I am worried about..  I just made about 20+ transfers (T2), and I'm worried my plates aren't clean enough.  I used a different tek and recipe for agar this time, and long story short, it was kinda a literal mess inside my PC.  I think I am definitely gonna just go back to what was working for me; actual pouring, and using condiment cups.  I transferred basically ALL of my beautiful-lookin myc from the T1s, and if these T2s fail, I dunno what to do.. I guess it's obvious, just transfer again until they clean up lol. but god damnit, that feels like such a backwards step from where I was 2 days ago.  maybe shoulda just noc'd up my jars with the T1s.. oh well.. and I dont even kno for sure if these new plates are bad yet or not lmfao, i'm just being pessimistic.. oh lord.. this is exactly why i need mushrooms in my fucked up brain.  pray for me.

Edited by black strat (12/05/20 08:10 AM)

Offlinekarri0n
No Title
 User Gallery

#27073283 - 12/05/20 12:30 PM (2 months, 27 days ago)

What happened with the new tek? I am guessing you tried the HG's and something didn't go perfect? Nothing goes perfect the first time, that doesn't mean it definitely won't work.

What do you mean by a mess? Did they leak all over the place, melt, etc? Did the medium separate? Are the surfaces of the agar all messed up or are they flat?

--------------------

My Journal / Grow Log

Offlineblack strat
Strangler

#27074337 - 12/06/20 12:39 AM (2 months, 27 days ago)

so, here's how i was doin it prior:

water, potato flakes, agar, and a little corn syrup.  boil it, pour into media bottles, then PC.  let it get down to about 115F, then pour into ketchup cups in the SAB.  and that's it.  whether that's a good way or not, i was starting to really get a little system down and it felt good.

so this most recent time, i thought to try something a little different:

tried following Mr. Alien's tek.  also, tried a different recipe than before - used LME, water, and agar.  when first cooking, it just didn't go well.  the malt was coagulating on the surface, and was just... lumpy?  i figured it was cause i either cooked it too much, or not enough..  anyway, then getting it from the pot into something suitable to pour into the HG's was a chore lol.  it just became a mess.  then, stacking them into QT jars wasn't easy.  so, FFWD to them PCing - after about 35 minutes, i started to smell plastic, my eyes were watering, my cat was acting weird, and i got reeeeeeally paranoid i was filling my place with fumes that could hurt my cat.  (i'm a total fucking helicopter-parent)

so i said fuck it, not worth it, and immediately turned off the burner after about 35 mins or so.. (Alien's tek says these HG's need at least an hour).

so got the PC to cool enough where i could open it, and yeah, it was a bit of a mess.. i dunno if it was the recipe, or how i put them in there, or what, etc., but some plates did boil over a little, and my new 500ml media bottle blew it's cap off and boiled over (i left the cap loose for GE), and the HG's were a little distorted/were sticking to each other when stacked.  I pulled everything out and tried to salvage what i could..

like i said i had media bottles in there too, 2 250ml and 1 500ml.. (I made A LOT of agar this time..)

so with those i at least tried pouring my old way in the SAB.  it was chunky, and a lot of the cups i poured ended up with tons of little air bubbles, (dunno if this is potentially bad down the road)..

sorry, i know it kinda sounds all over the place, but that's really what it was lol - all over the place.

I am NOT shitting on anyones tek, obviously - this was all due to my inexperience.

I just wish for this time, i had went to my tried and true method, considering my myc is looking fucking bomber at the moment, and i just want everything perfectly set up for this upcoming agar->grain transfer.

which, btw, i got 10 jars right now ready to be loaded up..  i really fucking hope they're not too wet;  i completely dried off the oats, did the paper towel test, (no water drops), and then left in the fridge overnight, and PCed yesterday.  they definitely look moist, i would say.. i wonder if letting them hangout for another day or so will evaporate a little more condensation.. (they all have the polyfil lids, for what it's worth..)  matter fact, will they evaporate a tad with the polyfil lids?  meaning, if they're just sitting out, with no myc currently in them, just slightly moist grain, will water work its way out eventually via the polyfilled holes in the lids??  curious about that..

anyway, yeah..

Edited by black strat (12/06/20 12:41 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets, Rye Grain, Toilet Paper

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started