Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineandySENSE311
nugget <3

dreams we actually experience
    #2702684 - 05/19/04 08:58 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

hey guys,

the other day i was walking near a park with my freind and my brother. suddenly everthing that was going on..i had dreamed the night before. this was not deja vu, because i know i had this dream the night before.

in the dream (which all happend in real life the day after) my brother, my friend and I were walking near this local park and my friend says "aw man its a really nice day out"

i couldnt beleive that this happend..i was perfectly sober. i dreamed this whole sene word for word...everything the night before.

what is this called? i never heard of anything like this.
has this ever happend to any of you?

thanks i just thought i would share this.

--------------------
"waiting for the time that i can finally say; that this has all been wonderful, but now im on my way"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

Re: dreams we actually experience [Re: andySENSE311]
    #2702720 - 05/19/04 09:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

how old are you?
lets say you are 18, you have 18 years of waking experience which is somewhat predictable in fashion effecting your subconscious thought. if you pick up personality traits of someone and know what sort of behaviors you and the person would commit, it could be possible to predict a day ahead of time. yes what i am saying is very very rare, but so is what you experienced. lets say you are 18 and 1 out of every 100 18 year olds experience that. if you slept once a day, the odds for you alone are 1 in 6,570. now lets assume 1 out of every 100 people had this happen, the luck of predicting a day before it occurs because of previous experiences. I'm inclined to say much less than 1/100 people experience this but ill just use that number. that would mean that 1/657,000 chance it would happen. in reality most people are over the ages of 18 too, making this even less likely.

i understand this is all complete theory, but if someone can conclude a better theory and how it works please do tell.

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

#2702731 - 05/19/04 09:08 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

oh also, the reason it seemed so exact to your dream:
memories are not set in stone AT ALL. they morph to fit whatever one pleases at the time. that is why police are so careful about asking people who witness a crime to describe the situation. they wont hint ANYTHING because they know the second they do the witnesses memories will change.
if you thought you dreamed it, you will believe you dreamed it
memories are more like suggestions to what has happened in the past but are no where near accurate

to sum it up, i believe you had a dream the previous night similar to what happened, but not exact. after the similar event occurred your memories became intertwined with the event and thought you had an identical dream

Edited by spud (05/19/04 09:17 PM)

OfflineandySENSE311
nugget <3

Re: dreams we actually experience [Re: spud]
    #2702825 - 05/19/04 09:35 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

ahh i see. thanks spud this makes a lot of sense now.. i thought this was related to deja vu is some way. your theory makes a lot of sense.

thanks

--------------------
"waiting for the time that i can finally say; that this has all been wonderful, but now im on my way"

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

#2702869 - 05/19/04 09:48 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

:grin:

OfflinePHARMAKOS
addict
    #2702913 - 05/19/04 09:58 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

dream dejavu is pretty common although usually i dont think it was exact word for word and scene by scene, but often ill see or experience something and be like... didnt i just dream about this?

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2703250 - 05/19/04 11:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

good thoery spud, but what about the people who experience the random chance of prediction way more then normal... you said  :

"that would mean that 1/657,000 chance it would happen"

...  So if someone claims to dream the next day 20 times a year that is like a 1:13,140,000 chance... when does odds become not applicable? I do not have that happen except maybe twice a year, but I know it is a common occurance for people...

Some would call it psychic, and others would say lucky chance of being able to dream a dream about tomorow from previous experiences... Either way the person has the 'odds' slanted this way in life for them, and they often find other aspects in reality because of these experiences, and seemingly 'impossible by the odds' become possible...

science claims that these odds still are not proof of anything supernatural because 'anything could happen'

What EVER :rastamon:

Invisiblespud
I'm so fly.

Re: dreams we actually experience [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2703309 - 05/19/04 11:17 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

if someone experienced it more than once a life time, the odds change
i assumed people experience it once a life time to make a point of how unlikley it is, a mistake on my half, i should not have tried to calculate the odds of it happening without first doing a survey. sorry about that, i didn't think it was worth providing that accurate of results to make the point. i was just trying to prove a point using slight exaggeration. if people experience it 20 times a year, as said, that would make the odds 1/325.5, not that bad at all
also i contribute many of them as just extreme memory flaws due to people wanting to believe a memory of a dream that is similar, but not exact, and therefore the original memory is morphed to fit the experience

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #2703516 - 05/20/04 12:10 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Spud makes a good point about our memories. Andy I've had that experience quite a few times, though often the dream has happened months before, that is assuming I didn't fabricate the memory.

A funny thing that's happening to me these days almost every time I have a dream is in my dream I realize that my current dream is the continuation of an ongoing dream story that may have started months ago. The dream inspires memories of dreams from months ago that I didn't recall the morning after, but now that I'm having this happen so often I think it may be false memories of dreams that didn't happen.

OfflinetrendalM
tangential derivation
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #2703591 - 05/20/04 12:30 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I like spud's theory!

Here's a question: when you noticed the experience in waking life, did you have a strong "deja-vu" feeling that accompanied the realization?

I've experienced a form of dream-related deja-vu many times before. In my case, it's always a brief instant of a dream that will "intersect" with what happens in waking life. I'll be doing something (awake) and suddenly have an overwhelming feeling of deja-vu with a vivid image of a dream location in my head. The dream can be from long ago, and I usually have not thought of it since I had it until the deja-vu kicks in.

--------------------
The story book's been read
And every line believed
Curriculum's been set
Logic is a threat
Reason searched and seized

BTC - 1KqrSHZ1C3NsQP4g3PkHhppBnhdgyXr6sB

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: dreams we actually experience [Re: trendal]
    #2703739 - 05/20/04 12:56 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

spuds theory could be correct, it has been scientifically proven the brain can very easily make up memories after the fact, however, check out psipog.net for more info on precognition: welcome to the club

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

InvisibleChronic7
 User Gallery
Re: dreams we actually experience [Re: truekimbo2]
    #2704570 - 05/20/04 06:41 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

For years my uncle had a reoccuring dream about an old house deserted in the middle of the sea in a bay of a small town, he went on holiday one year to greece and was walking in town with his wife and before they turned a corner he described EXACTLY what would be round the corner and he was right -a house deserted in the middle of the water in the bay!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology