Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Terrence McKenna

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleWarrk
 User Gallery

What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters?
    #27024515 - 11/06/20 09:10 AM (26 days, 20 hours ago)

Around 50%, reflecting the general community?

Or are shroomers more enlightened, more open-minded as a result of mind-expanding, psychedelic experiences?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEnlilM
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: Warrk] * 6
    #27024526 - 11/06/20 09:22 AM (26 days, 20 hours ago)

Drug users tend to be more susceptible to conspiracy theories, and in the U.S., such theories tend to be used as tools for people like Trump.  As a result, I'd say that the split is closer to 50% than it should be.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineSocrateshroom
сталкер

Loc: Underworld
Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: Warrk] * 7
    #27024529 - 11/06/20 09:27 AM (26 days, 20 hours ago)

Quote:

Warrk said:
Or are shroomers more enlightened, more open-minded as a result of mind-expanding, psychedelic experiences?

I think the presumption that being a Trump supporter makes one "close-minded" or less "enlightened" is, in and of itself, a bit close-minded.

I'm not a Trump supporter nor am I a Biden supporter. For me it's painfully obvious that both parties are unbelievably corrupt. And the sheer fanaticism behind them is appalling.

Nonetheless I think it's important to look at policy and not the person when reflecting on politicians. The government isn't there to make us feel better or be "polite". If we want niceties we have Hallmark and if we want to feel better we have psychiatry and the like. I'll take an abrasive politician that actually helps the greater good than a nice politician that makes everything worse.

Now I'm not saying Trump or Biden are reflections of the above. I think they are both corrupt, down to their individual subatomic particles (their "corruption" is just expressed in different ways).

But I know some very open-minded people who support Trump. Some support him as an anti-Biden measure. Others believe in the policy decisions that have come to fruition under his presidency. Most of them, agree, however, that his behavior is trash.

Ultimately, I think open-mindedness isn't about the politician you support, but about one's ability to have fair and rational discussion with opposing parties rather than blind fanaticism (which there is on both sides).

--------------------
“The game is not about becoming somebody, it’s about becoming nobody.”

- Ram Dass

OfflinePsilynut2
Stranger
Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: Enlil]
    #27024590 - 11/06/20 10:33 AM (26 days, 19 hours ago)

Quote:

Drug users tend to be more susceptible to conspiracy

I've taken allot of shrooms and never once have I felt an inclination to believe in a conspiracy theory .  I watched 5min of loose change  when it came out , I found it immediately insulting . It just seemed stupid to me .

--------------------

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Roke
Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: Psilynut2] * 2
    #27024968 - 11/06/20 02:37 PM (26 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

Psilynut2 said:
Quote:

I've taken allot of shrooms and never once have I felt an inclination to believe in a conspiracy theory .  I watched 5min of loose change  when it came out , I found it immediately insulting . It just seemed stupid to me .

'tend to' doesn't mean all will. I think there's a lot of truth in that statement, barring other factors, drug use seems to correlate with belief conspiracy theories, and generally seems to push people further from consensus reality.

Personally I know for a couple years after my first trips I was listening to a lot of psychedelic grifters like Gaham Hancock and Mckenna, the only reason I didn't go full wackadoodle is because I was educated and critical enough to see the gaping holes in their theories, but lots of people just hear 'oh the pyramids are 10 000 years old' and accept it and go on from there to cultivate other nonsense.

InvisibleEnlilM
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: Ezuma] * 2
    #27025064 - 11/06/20 03:18 PM (26 days, 14 hours ago)

It has been shown that people tend to be more prone to finding patterns where they do not exist when serotonin levels are higher. This is a foundational aspect of most conspiracy theories.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

#27025071 - 11/06/20 03:21 PM (26 days, 14 hours ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
It has been shown that people tend to be more prone to finding patterns where they do not exist when serotonin levels are higher. This is a foundational aspect of most conspiracy theories.

that follows, especially from what you see on the shroomery.

Offlinekneesocks
Divineress
Female User Gallery

Loc: Puget Sound/PNW Flag
    #27025229 - 11/06/20 05:11 PM (26 days, 12 hours ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Drug users tend to be more susceptible to conspiracy theories, and in the U.S., such theories tend to be used as tools for people like Trump.

I don't bother with conspiracy theories.
My use of entheogens has led me to knowledge of the reality of the world of spirit. Though I'm aware that some people are only aware of the physical world and dismiss the immaterial.

--------------------
"An ignorant man is lost, faithless, and filled with self-doubt;
A soul that harbors doubt has no joy, not in this world or the next."
-Bhagavad-gita 4:40

InvisibleEnlilM
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: kneesocks] * 3
    #27025232 - 11/06/20 05:12 PM (26 days, 12 hours ago)

Fairytales about mystical sky wizards are a common tool used by Republicans, too, but not so much Trump.

--------------------

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: Warrk] * 1
    #27025261 - 11/06/20 05:27 PM (26 days, 12 hours ago)

I'd say 50/50. Even back in the 60s, there were a ton of conservative LSD users. Conservatives and liberals like drugs about the same I think. Drugs are drugs and people are people, I don't think political preference affects the degree to which people like or enjoy drugs.

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: kneesocks]
    #27025309 - 11/06/20 05:56 PM (26 days, 12 hours ago)

Quote:

kneesocks said:
Quote:

Enlil said:
Drug users tend to be more susceptible to conspiracy theories, and in the U.S., such theories tend to be used as tools for people like Trump.

I don't bother with conspiracy theories.
My use of entheogens has led me to knowledge of the reality of the world of spirit. Though I'm aware that some people are only aware of the physical world and dismiss the immaterial.

the 'world of the spirit' is even less grounded in reality than most conspiracy theories tbh. If you get something out of your spirituality that's great, but I think the immaterial-ism psychedelics brings on in many users is kind of a questionable effect

InvisibleWarrk
 User Gallery

Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: Socrateshroom]
    #27025340 - 11/06/20 06:24 PM (26 days, 11 hours ago)

Quote:

Socrateshroom said:

I think the presumption that being a Trump supporter makes one "close-minded" or less "enlightened" is, in and of itself, a bit close-minded.

I'm not a Trump supporter nor am I a Biden supporter. For me it's painfully obvious that both parties are unbelievably corrupt. And the sheer fanaticism behind them is appalling.

Nonetheless I think it's important to look at policy and not the person when reflecting on politicians. The government isn't there to make us feel better or be "polite". If we want niceties we have Hallmark and if we want to feel better we have psychiatry and the like. I'll take an abrasive politician that actually helps the greater good than a nice politician that makes everything worse.

Now I'm not saying Trump or Biden are reflections of the above. I think they are both corrupt, down to their individual subatomic particles (their "corruption" is just expressed in different ways).

But I know some very open-minded people who support Trump. Some support him as an anti-Biden measure. Others believe in the policy decisions that have come to fruition under his presidency. Most of them, agree, however, that his behavior is trash.

Ultimately, I think open-mindedness isn't about the politician you support, but about one's ability to have fair and rational discussion with opposing parties rather than blind fanaticism (which there is on both sides).

This is a good, considered reply - thank you!

The idea that politicians are corrupt is one that does not need repeating, I would go further and say that human beings are fallible and when in positions of power can be easily corrupted if lacking in strong moral values. Biden and Trump therefore are no different to the rest of us, but easier targets because of their high profile.

Having said that, I do believe that we can draw generalisations about Trump supporters (just as we can Biden supporters). I’m interested in the personality traits of voters in the Trump camp and found this which I thought was interesting:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201712/analysis-trump-supporters-has-identified-5-key-traits

Generalisations of course are just that and there are always exceptions and outliers.

My feeling is that there are Trump supporters who have self-interest front and centre and have actually benefitted materially from Trump’s policies, and then there’s a whole swathe of people who have been brainwashed into hero-worshipping Trump.

InvisibleWarrk
 User Gallery

Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: Warrk]
    #27025371 - 11/06/20 06:43 PM (26 days, 11 hours ago)

Just found this:

That Trump’s support is based partly on personality rather than policy helps explain why his supporters are so enthusiastic​, even abiut his ​widely mocked ideas​.​ “This is in people’s guts, not their brains,” said Marc Hetherington, a political scientist and an expert on authoritarianism at Vanderbilt University. “This is much more primal.”

https://medium.com/@JimWexler/personality-test-predicts-a-trump-supporter-a0f24931110c

And this:

No one factor describes Trump’s supporters. But an array of factors – many of them reflecting five major social psychological phenomena can help to account for this extraordinary political event: authoritarianism, social dominance orientation, prejudice, relative deprivation, and intergroup contact.

https://jspp.psychopen.eu/article/view/750/html

InvisibleDontFearThePeepr
Soothsayer
 User Gallery

Loc: Paradigm shift
Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: Warrk] * 1
    #27025670 - 11/06/20 09:56 PM (26 days, 8 hours ago)

There's actually a surprising amount of right-wingers who use psychedelic drugs. LSD/shroom use doesn't seem to affect these core values for them and in some cases can actually catalyze their thinking into more conservative viewpoints. Though this follows with the general rule of thumb in how psychs affect people, which is that they make people more of what they already are.

--------------------
If you build a devil's playground it will become populated by demons.

:aweoverdose: Join the Shroomery Discord! :aweoverdose:

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: Ezuma] * 1
    #27025685 - 11/06/20 10:07 PM (26 days, 7 hours ago)

Quote:

Ezuma said:
Quote:

Psilynut2 said:
Quote:

'tend to' doesn't mean all will. I think there's a lot of truth in that statement, barring other factors, drug use seems to correlate with belief conspiracy theories, and generally seems to push people further from consensus reality.

Personally I know for a couple years after my first trips I was listening to a lot of psychedelic grifters like Gaham Hancock and Mckenna, the only reason I didn't go full wackadoodle is because I was educated and critical enough to see the gaping holes in their theories, but lots of people just hear 'oh the pyramids are 10 000 years old' and accept it and go on from there to cultivate other nonsense.

Psychedelic grifters. I like that. Even people like Joe Rogan. He says some good thing and some bad things, but all you have to do is mention drugs in a positive light and half the shroomery treats you like your God's gift.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

OfflineEzuma
Gontish Wizard
Male User Gallery

Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: Brian Jones] * 1
    #27025933 - 11/07/20 02:31 AM (26 days, 3 hours ago)

Joe Rogan too definitely, there's a lot of em out there.

Offlinekneesocks
Divineress
Female User Gallery

Loc: Puget Sound/PNW Flag
Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: Ezuma]
    #27026070 - 11/07/20 05:39 AM (26 days, 19 minutes ago)

Quote:

Ezuma said:
the 'world of the spirit' is even less grounded in reality than most conspiracy theories tbh. If you get something out of your spirituality that's great, but I think the immaterial-ism psychedelics brings on in many users is kind of a questionable effect

I can see into the spirit world even while sober.
It is strange to me that you want me to be grounded in your reality rather than my own reality. Even if you tell me not to see or experience what I do because you think I'm nuts, I will still see and experience. It is not up to me and not up to you, much like being born.

--------------------
"An ignorant man is lost, faithless, and filled with self-doubt;
A soul that harbors doubt has no joy, not in this world or the next."
-Bhagavad-gita 4:40

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: nooneman]
    #27026080 - 11/07/20 06:08 AM (25 days, 23 hours ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:
I'd say 50/50. Even back in the 60s, there were a ton of conservative LSD users. Conservatives and liberals like drugs about the same I think. Drugs are drugs and people are people, I don't think political preference affects the degree to which people like or enjoy drugs.

That's interesting. Maybe you're right. I remember in the 70's being very surprised reading about conservative pot heads in Texas in Rolling Stone mag. They called them roper dopers. I don't know when the tide turned, but nowadays, yeah around 50/50.

I'm going to take a guess that conservative psychedelic users are less likely to get all spiritual about the experience, and if that's the case it's one of the few times I side with the right. I had one or two drug experiences feeling spiritual in the 70's and never since. I take drugs for my enjoyment of the sensation and I can't even personally relate to the word spiritual. I meditate when I can find the time, but I only look at that rationally.

--------------------

OfflineThe Thing
Male User Gallery

Loc: Southern Australia Flag
    #27026112 - 11/07/20 06:49 AM (25 days, 23 hours ago)

Quote:

Enlil said:
Drug users tend to be more susceptible to conspiracy theories...

Says the moderator of a drug growing website forum.

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Re: What proportion of shroomers in the USA are Trump supporters? [Re: The Thing] * 2
    #27026126 - 11/07/20 07:10 AM (25 days, 22 hours ago)

Yes, and yes.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Terrence McKenna

General Interest >> Political Discussion