Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinetryptkaloids
Learner
I'm a teapot

Loc: Exact Center
Sleeping in the car
    #27023591 - 11/05/20 04:33 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I just got a roomy car that will be perfect for sleeping in on any occasion.
I got curious as to how long I could live in a sealed car without death, so I came across this

The first link implies a sealed vehicle, and I know they aren't airtight. So here's that second link. Https://goodyfeed.com/sleeping-in-a-car-with-its-air-con-on-will-kill-you-herere-the-facts/

My question is will there be enough oxygen exchange with a half inch cracked window in my midsized suv

--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.

Edited by tryptkaloids (11/05/20 04:34 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Sleeping in the car [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #27025020 - 11/06/20 01:01 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

If your car is hermetically sealed, then it will also have a separate self-contained oxygen supply.

If your car is not a military vehicle rated for NBC warfare or the presidential limo, you'll be fine. In the sense that you might have to pay a vagrancy fine.

Offlinetryptkaloids
Learner
I'm a teapot

Re: Sleeping in the car [Re: Kryptos]
    #27025084 - 11/06/20 01:33 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Thats what I assumed

--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage

OfflineOutsideOfMyMind
LSD Self Administrative Director
Male User Gallery

#27051122 - 11/21/20 08:39 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I lived in my car on and off for 2 years during the shittiest time of my life.

Don't worry you're not going to die even if all the windows were left up. I would be more concerned with how you're going to stay warm in the fall and winter and early spring. I have no idea where you are but get a pair of thermal underwear and undershirt. Get a sweater, a jacket, and a thick jacket. With hoods preferably. That's 4 layers, each successive layer being thicker. Wear a normal shirt below the thermals. Get 2 blankets, a fuzzy one and a thick heavy comforter. Also get a SCARF to cover your face leaving a tiny air hole on your lips. Make sure every square inch of yourself is covered with both blankets. You may want to tuck in the sides sort of like a burrito so that the blankets don't come undone. The worse is when you accidentally forget to cover 1 square inch and you wake up freezing needing to turn the car on, let it warm up a little and turn the heater on. MAKE SURE YOUR HEATER AND AIR CONDITIONER are in good working order. Run the heater for a good bit and get it nice and hot right before going to sleep. Contrastingly, in summer you will want to run the ac before going to bed on a very hot day.

Check with local laws on sleeping in cars or habitating in cars. A lot of places are outlawing sleeping in cars.

--------------------

Edited by OutsideOfMyMind (11/21/20 08:43 PM)

Offlinetryptkaloids
Learner
I'm a teapot

Re: Sleeping in the car [Re: OutsideOfMyMind]
    #27051152 - 11/21/20 08:56 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Itll be mainly for camping and snowboarding trips, places where its not a big deal to crash for a night. I have plans to get a big battery pack to run a projector and a small space heater when I need it

--------------------

OfflinePumpJackTeX
livin life
Male User Gallery

Loc: California Flag
    #27051268 - 11/21/20 10:20 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I would suggest buying a tent and sleeping in it. You will get better quality sleep.

I have lived out of a Honda CR-V & Honda Odyssey in the past.

Now I'm touring the world on a bicycle and have all the proper gear to sleep inside a tent comfortably. You could easy fit the gear inside any car.

I sleep better living out of my bicycle that I did my Hondas.

Its a crazy mentality people get in their cars. Gotta stay in the car! Must not leave the car!

--------------------
Life. 2008

Ascension Energy | UFOs | 2021

Offlinetryptkaloids
Learner
I'm a teapot

Re: Sleeping in the car [Re: PumpJackTeX]
    #27051309 - 11/21/20 11:00 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Lol its not like that, when I camp in comfortable months I'm a hammock camper. After a long day on the slopes I'm not setting up a tent.

Its not a car, its a full sized suv, plenty of room to lay flat in there and stretch out. Not sure a nylon tent would be more comfortable than an insulated suv. Especially in the winter

--------------------

Offlinetryptkaloids
Learner
I'm a teapot

#27051310 - 11/21/20 11:01 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

In a car I probably wouldn't even take it to any slopes

--------------------

OfflinePumpJackTeX
livin life
Male User Gallery

#27051330 - 11/21/20 11:29 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

tryptkaloids said:
Lol its not like that, when I camp in comfortable months I'm a hammock camper. After a long day on the slopes I'm not setting up a tent.

Its not a car, its a full sized suv, plenty of room to lay flat in there and stretch out. Not sure a nylon tent would be more comfortable than an insulated suv. Especially in the winter

I can tell you from experience that a tent is more comfortable and you can stay just as warm then trying to sleep inside a minivan.

But ya whatever stay locked up inside your car...

I cycle up to 80 miles a day and can throw my tent together in the dark in 5 minutes. Im sure you can do the same after playing in the snow.

& actually the nylon tent does get warmer inside than what your SUV does. A qualify tent is designed to hold heat and vent. While your car will be the same temperature as outside. The SUV will not hold heat like a quality tent will.

--------------------
Life. 2008

OfflineOutsideOfMyMind
Male User Gallery

#27051343 - 11/21/20 11:48 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Whatever temperature it is outside it is going to be the same exact temperature in your car. I don't know what this "insulation" is that you talk about but any "Insulation" is of no use in a car at night in winter. And I was a little bit "privileged" so to say because I was living out of my car in San Diego county which has the best weather in the world. Even then it gets fucking freezing at night in winter so this is just from experience in southern California. Summer is reverse where if the temperature is like 75 outside then it is probably going to be like 85 or 95 in your car during the day. Summer is actually the best time to sleep in your car. You don't even need a blanket or if you do you can just use a small throw. My favorite Time living out of my car if I could even say I had a favorite time would be summer because you don't have to fucking worry about the cold at night and the daytime is nice and warm. Winters are actually very depressing in the car.

But yeah unless you have a completely flat surface that you can lay your entire body on and have room to stretch then a car fucking sucks to sleep in. If it was more socially acceptable I would have just gotten out of my car for the night and slept on the fucking sidewalk with a pillow and my mat. Shit, the asphalt right next to my car would have been more comfortable. I was living in a tiny ass 20 year old Corolla.

And also get all of your windows tinted as black as legally possible.

--------------------

OfflinePumpJackTeX
livin life
Male User Gallery

#27051356 - 11/22/20 12:03 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

OutsideOfMyMind said:
Whatever temperature it is outside it is going to be the same exact temperature in your car. I don't know what this "insulation" is that you talk about but any "Insulation" is of no use in a car at night in winter. And I was a little bit "privileged" so to say because I was living out of my car in San Diego county which has the best weather in the world. Even then it gets fucking freezing at night in winter so this is just from experience in southern California. Summer is reverse where if the temperature is like 75 outside then it is probably going to be like 85 or 95 in your car during the day. Summer is actually the best time to sleep in your car. You don't even need a blanket or if you do you can just use a small throw. My favorite Time living out of my car if I could even say I had a favorite time would be summer because you don't have to fucking worry about the cold at night and the daytime is nice and warm. Winters are actually very depressing in the car.

But yeah unless you have a completely flat surface that you can lay your entire body on and have room to stretch then a car fucking sucks to sleep in. If it was more socially acceptable I would have just gotten out of my car for the night and slept on the fucking sidewalk with a pillow and my mat. Shit, the asphalt right next to my car would have been more comfortable. I was living in a tiny ass 20 year old Corolla.

This man get it!

I'm 1,700 miles into a world tour and after collecting the nessasary gear and carry it on a fucking bicycle and have realized that this is 1,000 times better than a SUV.

Dude I used to drive 18 wheelers with sleepers in the rig. The most comfortable you can get in a vehicle and it does not compare to the quality of sleep I get with my tent, insulated 4.4 rating Klymit mattress pad, sleeping bag, & two sleeping bag liners - 1 for the klymit mattress pad & one for the sleeping bag,& pillow.

It's below 50 outside and I'm hot. When I unzip my tent its like 5-10 degrees colder outside of it and another 5 degrees colder when I unzip the rain cover.

Yes my nylon tent is way warmer than this magical insulated SUV of yours.

Have you ever removed the panels on your doors, dash, hatch, roof?

If not let me be the first to tell you. Your vehicle is not insulated. Its quit the opposite.  It is fucking horrible at retaining heat.

But then again, you thought you would run out of air after a while.

I would like to personally thank you. It is people like you who make me feel like im not so dumb after all.

--------------------
Life. 2008

OfflineOutsideOfMyMind
Male User Gallery

#27051416 - 11/22/20 01:24 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PumpJackTeX said:
Quote:

OutsideOfMyMind said:

This man get it!

If not let me be the first to tell you. Your vehicle is not insulated. Its quit the opposite.  It is fucking horrible at retaining heat.

All that metal surrounding you attracts all the cold. Metal door panels, metal flooring, metal top.

--------------------

OfflinetheRealrollforever
I DID-DENT
 User Gallery

Loc: Bada-Bing!
    #27052159 - 11/22/20 12:52 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah people saying you can live comfortably in a car....not a fuckin chance.  Maybe if you had a mattress in the back of a pickup.  That’s what ima do at fests from now on.

--------------------

sunshine said:
The order has to be secret and no one is sure.

OfflinePumpJackTeX
livin life
Male User Gallery

Re: Sleeping in the car [Re: theRealrollforever]
    #27052815 - 11/22/20 07:08 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

theRealrollforever said:
Yeah people saying you can live comfortably in a car....not a fuckin chance.  Maybe if you had a mattress in the back of a pickup.  That’s what ima do at fests from now on.

I made a bed frame & installed a memory foam mattress in my Odyssey & it still wasn't near as comfortable as the setup I carry in the saddle bags on my bicycle.

--------------------
Life. 2008

OfflineOutsideOfMyMind
Male User Gallery

#27052871 - 11/22/20 07:51 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I wouldn't mind living in a car if it was actually designed to be lived in meaning it can fit at least a twin size mattress, it has a bathroom including a toilet and a shower, and a kitchen with a stove and an oven and running water. A refrigerator would be nice too. Being homeless isn't so bad until you realize that all of these things literally make your life ten times more of a pain in the fucking ass chore.

--------------------

OfflinePumpJackTeX
livin life
Male User Gallery

#27052919 - 11/22/20 08:28 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

How tf you gonna fit that inside a car?

Rigs don't even have all that unless its one of those rare super rigs - those are nice!

I enjoyed being a 3rd generation trucker but I don't see myself ever going back to it.

--------------------
Life. 2008

OfflineOutsideOfMyMind
Male User Gallery

#27053030 - 11/22/20 09:36 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

... in a perfect world.

--------------------

OfflineMightyWhite
Male
    #27054833 - 11/24/20 01:10 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I sleep in my truck 4-5 nights a week with vents and windows shut tight and I have my dog in the cab with me, so there's 2 of us taking up oxygen and putting out co2. I don't give a fuck what Google search says, I am telling you from experience of being a truck driver staying out for periods of time, you aren't going to die if the windows are shut

OfflinetheRealrollforever
I DID-DENT
 User Gallery

Loc: Bada-Bing!
    #27055136 - 11/24/20 09:08 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PumpJackTeX said:
Quote:

theRealrollforever said:

I made a bed frame & installed a memory foam mattress in my Odyssey & it still wasn't near as comfortable as the setup I carry in the saddle bags on my bicycle.

What’s the difference at that point?  I’m kind of picky but any mattress that is level and fairly firm does me right?

Honestly tho the mattress in a pickup is not really feasible due to weather concerns, you could get one of those huge bed roofs almost but if you can afford that you shouldn’t be worried about sleeping in a car
I guess you can pitch a tarp but that seems like a recipe for disaster at some point

--------------------

sunshine said:
The order has to be secret and no one is sure.

Edited by theRealrollforever (11/24/20 09:10 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order