Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineInquisitive Kiwi
Researcher

Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) * 4
    #27016218 - 11/01/20 06:54 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Update (21/01/2023) - The thesis has finally been completed. Took a ridicuously long time but I got it done! The thesis along with data collected is available online for free.

link to the thesis is here: http://dx.doi.org/10.26021/13872 and links to open source data is in the thesis.

Thank you to everyone who participated couldn't have done it without the shroomery massive help. Welcoming anyone comments, questions, and feedback.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there,

My name is Andrew McGahan and I am a researcher at the University of Canterbury (New Zealand) conducting a study on the effects of psychedelic use on individual’s self-understanding (i.e. insight into one’s own inner workings).

This survey explores reasons why people use psychedelics, different types of psychedelic experiences, various set and setting factors and their effect on psychedelic experiences, and the long-term impact psychedelics have had on people’s beliefs, behaviours, attitudes and world view. We understand this is a broad topic and this survey is but a small step towards a more systematic understanding of the psychedelic process.

All data gathered will be completely anonymous.

The online survey and interview portion are now complete! We collected over 600 invdividual's responses and conducted 26 in person interviews *phew* averaging 2h45min each. Was a really superb turnout thank you so much to everyone who participated and gave their time to this project. The published thesis will be available once it's complete (which is going to take awhile). I will keep you guys updated as things are happening.

Thank you for your supporting psychedelic science!

Edited by Inquisitive Kiwi (01/20/23 08:10 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWhoManBeing
PsychedelicYogi
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: Inquisitive Kiwi]
    #27016294 - 11/01/20 07:48 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

:smile:

--------------------
Hip, hip... WhoRAy!!!

Eye was thinking the other day...  ahh, thinking never done me no good.

Edited by WhoManBeing (11/01/20 09:12 PM)

Offlinejomanda1990
Ewewazos
Male User Gallery

Loc: Argentina Flag
Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: WhoManBeing] * 1
    #27016330 - 11/01/20 08:06 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Would you rather there be no research at all and keep these incredibly powerful tools banished from academic knowledge because "lol war on drugs, drugs bad!"

This research at least acknowledges psychedelics have some serious uses aside from "being those pills the kids these days take at raves and what those dirty hippies loved back in the day!"

edit: survey completed. Good luck with your work!

--------------------

Edited by jomanda1990 (11/01/20 08:28 PM)

OfflineWhoManBeing
PsychedelicYogi
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: jomanda1990]
    #27016345 - 11/01/20 08:20 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

:smile:

--------------------
Hip, hip... WhoRAy!!!

Eye was thinking the other day...  ahh, thinking never done me no good.

Edited by WhoManBeing (11/01/20 09:19 PM)

OfflineInquisitive Kiwi
Researcher

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: jomanda1990]
    #27016447 - 11/01/20 09:23 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for taking the survey, it's greatly appreciated.

Offlinerustygrape
the great perhaps
Female User Gallery

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: Inquisitive Kiwi]
    #27017249 - 11/02/20 10:48 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Completed

feedback: i think you need some more definition/ clarity on the typical & peak experiences page..i wasn't sure if i was being asked how my experience was during the come-up and the peak. I guess I need to know what you mean by peak

good work!

Edited by rustygrape (11/02/20 10:51 AM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: rustygrape]
    #27017601 - 11/02/20 02:09 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineInquisitive Kiwi
Researcher

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: rustygrape]
    #27017829 - 11/02/20 04:37 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for your feedback. On the questions that ask about typical and peak experience there is this description.

Quote:

Please rate the following phenomena based on the typical and peak intensity you have experienced them when using psychedelics.

Note: Peak intensity is the most intense amount you have ever experienced the following phenomena during any psychedelic experience.

You may have missed it, or do you think this description is not super clear about what is being asked? I was thinking I could bold and italicise the words "ever" and "any" to help emphasise the point that it's the most peakiest peaks ever experienced. Do you think that would help?

With the "typical intensity" I can see your point. Do I mean from beginning to end of the trip or do I have some specific period during the trip? I left that purposely vague because I'm asking across all experiences which is a very general and loosely held feeling already. To be even more specific about defining cutoffs like not including come up and come down and to give me "that" intensity I think is particularly difficult for people and it still has issues about interpretation (how to define when the come up ends and come down begins?). I think a question like that is best answered during or immediately following a specific trip as it's much more fresh.

I had considered just asking for the "average" intensity as that is a more well defined concept in general. If it had been asking the average do you think that would have helped clarify what I mean by typical intensity (I think of them as being very similar)?

I think the point about further defining typical and peak intensity you brought up is an interesting and worthwhile question though. However, because my project is looking at many areas related to psychedelic use it's hard to go in-depth on any specific area. I think of it like mapping a landscape and I'm picking out obvious large features without walking up to each one and inspecting in in minute detail. The distinction between the "typical" and "peak" is like noticing the difference between the typical or average mountain vs the tallest mountain.

Edited by Inquisitive Kiwi (11/02/20 04:39 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#27018019 - 11/02/20 06:08 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

your choice was clear to me,
after all, this is about the long term profiles
- so you get to examine and correlate data patterns against the baseline of years of exposure

I did not give follow up contact info, but did complain about the radio buttons, so if you have questions about my answers you can reach me here.

--------------------

OfflineInquisitive Kiwi
Researcher

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: redgreenvines]
    #27018608 - 11/03/20 02:19 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I had a little play around with the survey. It seems like you can navigate all questions except two using just your keyboard. The only questions that don't seem to work are the two questions on mental health in demographics. The only reason I can see why they don't work is because they allow multiple choices. I'm not sure how I would fix that, as I do need allow multiple selections for those questions and it's a coding issue on Qualtrics side. But thank you for the feedback, I had literally never thought of accessibility for people who don't use mice or touchpads.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#27018785 - 11/03/20 07:05 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I had found that the radio button keyboard navigation by [tab] changes the radio widget value when it changes the widget selection, instead of just moving to the next radio or the next question.
How can one use the keyboard to get to the next question after making your choice???
(anyone with RSI, parkinsons, or other manual mobility issues will prefer keyboard navigation to mouse clicking, and anyone blind or cognitively disabled will be unable to work the pages even with assistive technology)

maybe there is a trick I don't know, but I have been working with accessibility for a few years...
Checkboxes usually let you change the value by hitting the spacebar, that would work better.
(basically the fail here is that the radio buttons are not grouped into a radio groups where [cursors keys] can select and [tab] moves to next group or question (and, as per usual, we expect [space] would flip the state of the radio/or checkbox control))

if [tab] changes the value at the same time as it moves the selection it is doing too many things, and at least one of them is wrong, so it is not keyboard compliant to wcag 2.0.

just saying.

--------------------

OfflineInquisitive Kiwi
Researcher

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: redgreenvines]
    #27019775 - 11/03/20 03:59 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

When I was testing it tab did not change the value selected. I first used tab to select the question and then used the arrow keys to select the answer then when I tabbed to the next one and it stayed the same. So I'm not sure why it was doing that for you? Did this issue occur with all the radio button questions or just ones that were in tables? Because Qualtrics has the option of a few different table formats. The the version of the matrix table I'm using are said to not be WCAG 2.0 compliant (didn't know this was a thing before) but side by side tables are. Which are essentially the same. I could change the tables to those I think without changing the overall structure and this might fix the problem if it was just with some tables and not all of them. But for me they worked without problems, so I'm not sure why they don't for you even on the WCAG 2.0 non compliant tables.

Edited by Inquisitive Kiwi (11/03/20 04:02 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#27019792 - 11/03/20 04:14 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

maybe, due to me using Firefox on the survey.

--------------------

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#27019817 - 11/03/20 04:31 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

works fine on Chrome, but Firefox needs mouse.

this question is broken for wcag, it actually swallows keys and freezes a non-mouse user.

I thought it was a radio buttons that were frustrating me, but they are checkboxes in a wrong configuration.

please check it out.

Edited by redgreenvines (11/03/20 04:40 PM)

OfflineInquisitive Kiwi
Researcher

#27020311 - 11/03/20 09:08 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I think I have solved the issue redgreenvines. I changed the "theme" of the qualtrics background and I can now tab through each option and select it. I have tested the matrix tables and they all seem to be working fine. I use chrome, so this might only be a firefox issue. Could you let me know if it's working on your side? Cheers and thanks for the feedback.

InvisibleBlazer420
ŦøжїϿ ÐȐȜȧƜƐȓ

#27020424 - 11/03/20 10:17 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Chur buddha, all kiwi's should be in here doing this. All the best with your data collecting :bonghit:

--------------------
~ I used to get high on life, until I realized life was cut with morons ~
* You need 2 wake up and smell the music! *
- We are all computer data in a materialistic world -
| Sometimes you have to lose yourself, to find anything |

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: Blazer420]
    #27020779 - 11/04/20 05:46 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

retested with firefox and it works pretty well EXCEPT if you want to change a value that was set using spacebar, you have to grab the mouse, pressing [space] should toggle and in grids particularly - once flipped to selected, [space] does not un-flip it in a grid layout.
Otherwise now I can fly through the questions including the grids using keyboard only.

--------------------

OfflineChurchill_85
Stranger
 User Gallery

#27038989 - 11/14/20 03:13 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

After the paper is done pls share with us.

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

Loc: R'lyeh
Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: Churchill_85]
    #27039933 - 11/15/20 04:43 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Complete. Thanks for doing what you do and best of luck with your research.

--------------------

As the spark of the dream ignites a flame of desire all we have is time and all to do is admire

Spawning to Bulk Substate TEK

General Myco Info / FAQ / Terminology

OfflineInquisitive Kiwi
Researcher

Re: Exploring Psychedelic Experiences: Reasons for Use and Long-term Effects (Survey) [Re: Churchill_85]
    #27039942 - 11/15/20 05:00 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I shall make a point of sharing the thesis once the research is completed :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom