Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleSleepingstar
Stranger
Terrarium
    #27012455 - 10/30/20 04:47 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Has anyone has ever tried fruiting in a terrarium?  I have a book on how to build terrariums and adding sterilized potting soil.
It also talks about lichen and how it’s both an algae and a fungus but you would also need rocks for it to grow on.

If you can grow lichen in a terrarium, why couldn’t mushrooms be done the same way?  Wouldn't grass be the symbiosis for the mushrooms?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Terrarium [Re: Sleepingstar] * 2
    #27012503 - 10/30/20 05:19 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

You could but its an uphill battle. Terrariums are better suited to growing molds that like stale musty environments

--------------------
Welcome to the Advanced Mycology Forum

Bod's Library    Article behind a paywall? I can try to get it for you

InvisibleSleepingstar
Stranger
Re: Terrarium [Re: bodhisatta]
    #27012608 - 10/30/20 06:29 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

That’s a shame it would look so nice. The book I have talks about the use of mesh, gravel, and carbon in layers before your dirt goes in and wick that runs down through the center into the carbon for redistribution of water.
Do you think a mini water fountain would help with air circulation?

Edited by Sleepingstar (10/30/20 06:32 PM)

InvisibleD3_Myc
Weeb Trash
I'm a teapot

Loc: Year Zero
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Terrarium [Re: Sleepingstar]
    #27012614 - 10/30/20 06:33 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

What Bod said, I used to do lots of dart frog vivariums. I’d get the occasional mushroom but mostly slime molds climbing the glass. Tried to inoculate with some those bioluminescent mushrooms but I did like zero research on it and just waisted my money.

InvisibleSleepingstar
Stranger
Re: Terrarium [Re: D3_Myc]
    #27012627 - 10/30/20 06:39 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Did you layer yours with carbon, gravel, and place the wicks in the center that goes through each layer before adding the soil (this book suggests baking the soil)?

I’m just curious how you set yours up.

Edited by Sleepingstar (10/30/20 07:23 PM)

InvisibleSleepingstar
Stranger
    #27012757 - 10/30/20 07:30 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

D3monic said:
What Bod said, I used to do lots of dart frog vivariums. I’d get the occasional mushroom but mostly slime molds climbing the glass. Tried to inoculate with some those bioluminescent mushrooms but I did like zero research on it and just waisted my money.

The mushrooms you were talking about would be awesome to get going.

How did you set your tank up?  Did you have it set up like how I described in my post above this?  I have most the supplies on hand to get my terrarium built except the carbon.

InvisibleD3_Myc
Weeb Trash
I'm a teapot

Loc: Year Zero
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Terrarium [Re: Sleepingstar] * 1
    #27012779 - 10/30/20 07:42 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Mine where drilled about an inch up for excess water drainage, a layer of hydroton up to just above the drain holes, used some that knitting plastic as a barrier between the hydroton and the substrate... trying to remember what it was. I know I made backgrounds from anything like black pond spray foam coated in ge silicone II and eco earth to give it a natural look. To even a background made out of clay kitty litter.

Hmm I think my substrate was mostly spagnum and leaf litter.. maybe a little carbon? I went into a lot of detail on construction but can’t find much on that.

InvisibleSleepingstar
Stranger
    #27012880 - 10/30/20 08:42 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I just went over how to lay the layers out. It said to go in the following order:
• Gravel at the very bottom
• Then add a layer of ‘activated’ carbon
• add a mesh layer w/ a hole in the center
• then add 4 pieces of plastic foam (acts up move water from the bottom up)
• put small flat rocks on top of the screen & on the blades of the wick (in pic it shows all but on wick with rocks on it)
• then add dirt and plants

InvisibleSleepingstar
Stranger
    #27012893 - 10/30/20 08:54 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

That was really nice looking. The book I have is from 1972 so it’s old.

OfflineGrinchGrower
N00B
Male User Gallery

#27012992 - 10/30/20 10:15 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I was considering testing one of these out on some cakes or something in the future. They sell attachments so you can make it as tall as you need. If it doesn't work out I'll just get some seedlings going. :greenthumb:

Invisiblemycorry
The Empirical
 User Gallery

Re: Terrarium [Re: GrinchGrower]
    #27026873 - 11/07/20 01:37 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

I've never used a terrarium but this post from a while back of a subaeruginosa grow in a terrarium may answer some questions you have.

Remember that a terrarium is little more than an angular and fragile monotub.

--------------------
My Trade Lists

OfflineHikeadellic
Fungi Fan
Male

Loc: Appalachian Trail
Re: Terrarium [Re: mycorry]
    #27032493 - 11/10/20 11:20 PM (3 years, 4 months ago)

You could probably accomplish the same thing with better results by using a plastic tote with lots of holes on the walls.

If you want to go for something bigger you can try bulk substrate into a dubtub

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #27032840 - 11/11/20 06:25 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

It's not going to work in a sealed terrarium because mushroom mycelium needs lots of fresh air.  It also produces much more CO2 than can be absorbed by any plants within.

If your interest is in growing mushrooms in a simple grow chamber, you might find the shotgun terrarium helpful.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineSyncrip
Bumbling Amateur
 User Gallery

#27034970 - 11/12/20 10:22 AM (3 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Tried to inoculate with some those bioluminescent mushrooms but I did like zero research on it and just waisted my money.

Did you just try to inoculate the substrate at the bottom of the terrarium? I've thought about trying to make a terrarium with Panellus stipticus growing in it as well, but the idea would be to inoculate a small birch log or branch and simply place it inside the terrarium after it's already had time to colonize. I would hope that a pre-colonized log would fare better against the mold and other contaminants mentioned above, but I really don't know.

I found this image of something similar online, but ideally the tank would be bigger and less bare:

Are there active species that can be successfully grown with similar log cultivation techniques? If OP's goal is just to enjoy the novelty of getting a coupe active fruits to grow in an aesthetic little terrarium, could this be a reasonable path forward?

OfflineMySillyUmRuns
MycoNerd
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#27068045 - 12/02/20 11:40 AM (3 years, 3 months ago)

There's a guy on instagram that I follow who makes beautiful terrariums with live mushrooms. I'll try to get his username when I find it. I'm getting ready to experiment with fruiting a ganoderma multipileum in a terrarium then letting it harden and after that adding some other features to make a living terrarium. I'll come back with updates at some point

OfflineMySillyUmRuns
MycoNerd
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Terrarium [Re: MySillyUmRuns]
    #27079340 - 12/08/20 07:20 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

MySillyUmRuns said:
There's a guy on instagram that I follow who makes beautiful terrariums with live mushrooms. I'll try to get his username when I find it. I'm getting ready to experiment with fruiting a ganoderma multipileum in a terrarium then letting it harden and after that adding some other features to make a living terrarium. I'll come back with updates at some point

so if you're on instagram, check out @kinocorium. Beautiful mushroom terrariums

InvisibleSleepingstar
Stranger
Re: Terrarium [Re: MySillyUmRuns]
    #27079407 - 12/08/20 08:04 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

I will check that out.
I have a cookie jar terrarium with a good seal on it arranged the way I described above in an earlier post but it has cactuses and sand to replace the dirt
So far I haven’t had any trouble with it except that they don’t grow as large as they would in open air but the cactus is pretty tough.

I wanted to do something similar but with mushrooms and some other plant but the sounds of it, it will mold and insufficient air supply.
I want something that will work long term and that will last in it’s own ecosystem.

InvisibleSleepingstar
Stranger
Re: Terrarium [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #27079415 - 12/08/20 08:10 PM (3 years, 3 months ago)

What if there was air flow added to it somehow?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix