Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBumpyBumps
Stranger
Unknown Growth and General Tips
    #27001993 - 10/25/20 01:28 AM (2 months, 25 days ago)

Hello everyone, I've been a little timid in terms of posting, but I am excited to be a little more involved with this community.

2 weeks ago, I inoculated my brokeboi tec jars with Golden teacher spores. It's getting around 6-7 degrees around where I live so I decided to put the jars inside a box, for darkness, and inside my room, for warmth. It was going well at first as I started noticing some white fluff growing but spread apart from one another. I figured that was normal.

Today, I found black stuff on top of my Spawn :frown: I've attached pictures of the culprit and the mycelium.

Could you guys provide me with info regarding:
https://imgur.com/a/Q2M7BwH
[list]

•       What may have caused this
          If should I throw it away?
          If winter is a good time for a complete beginner?
          Whether the seond picture is healthy looking and why it is scattered?

Thanks so much everyone :smile:

• Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
    InvisibleRafiikii
     User Gallery

Re: Unknown Growth and General Tips [Re: BumpyBumps]
        #27002013 - 10/25/20 01:41 AM (2 months, 25 days ago)

likely Trichoderma and not worth saving.

6-7 degrees is going to be way cold

if those are 2 different jars, the second one looks promising. If they are the same jar toss em.

granted you incoluated via syringe, the spores are not going to all settle in the same spot.

--------------------
    "You didn’t come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are no stranger here."

Edited by Rafiikii (10/25/20 01:45 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
    Offlinescarabaeus
    Stranger

Re: Unknown Growth and General Tips [Re: BumpyBumps]
        #27002025 - 10/25/20 02:00 AM (2 months, 25 days ago)

What you have is one of the green molds.  Probably trichoderma. When it occurs in grain jars, it is almost always because it was floating around in the air at the time of inoculation. The other most common contam is some aspergillus species. But my bet is trichoderma. Unfortunately, once the mean green shows up in a grain (spawn) jar, it is impossible to salvage. :frown:

Outdoor temps are not important -actually I only grow in the winter because freezing temps kill a lot of mold spores and there is less chance of contaminations floating around. Of course you can grow any time of year, but some periods are more favorable than others.

What is important is where you store your jars. You want 'room temperature', assuming you keep your room at 20 -25 degrees Celsius. (~68-75 degrees F). Darkness is not a factor. Just keep them someplace where YOU feel comfortable without putting on a jacket and you should do fine. Hope this helps.

I just realized rafi ^ beat me to the post! He gave good info. Here is my post anyway lol...

OfflineBumpyBumps
    Stranger
    Re: Unknown Growth and General Tips [Re: Rafiikii]
        #27002682 - 10/25/20 02:38 PM (2 months, 25 days ago)

Thanks so much for the info, Rafiikii!

Fortunately, it was only one of my jars while the other is taking its sweet timing grow a little blurp of mycelium...haha

You're right, I did use a syringe. I'm going to try using agar next.

OfflineBumpyBumps
    Stranger
    Re: Unknown Growth and General Tips [Re: scarabaeus]
        #27002697 - 10/25/20 02:44 PM (2 months, 25 days ago)

I'm equally as thankful for your input, scarabaeus; I would love to learn as much as possible anyway.

You and Rafi have definitely reignited my motivation to keep trying. I am loving this community!!

I actually had tried using a still air box to inoculate, and had closed all the windows - I'll probably have to be even more careful next time.

Again, thanks so much and I hope you two have fruitful projects :wink:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started