Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGrenik
Stranger
 User Gallery

First Pearl Oyster Bags
    #26990153 - 10/17/20 04:13 PM (3 days, 17 hours ago)

These are my first substrate bags and I had quite a few problems. Well, I think I did most things wrong, but it was really good learning! These are Pearl Oyster. I have some bags of Chestnut and Pearl colonizing now and they are looking much better. But...

Bag 1:

I filled the bag quite full with substrate, and then added a quart of spawn. I really did not have enough room in the bag because I screwed up the sealing of the bag and it opened up when I was trying to mix the grain into the substrate. I ended up getting it resealed (this was not your best example of sterile procedures). I could not mix well, so almost all the grain was on the top and it quickly colonized and then slowly started going down the bag.

I was happy to wait for the bag to colonize, but the mushrooms had other ideas. Today, I cut a couple inch slit horizontal and then a couple inches vertical in the top. The bag is laying on its side and you can see all the activity where the filter is. Any advice on trying to get some mushrooms? Do I need to spray the opening with water or just let it use the moisture from the bag?

Bag 2: Similar issues as the first one. I think the substrate may be a little dry and the bag is quite full. It did not open up however and I did a little better mixing. I cut a small + in the side. Do I spray water in there or just let it go and see what happens? I see no activity in this bag yet, but it was almost completely colonized. Since the other bag started growing before I opened it, I thought it best to open this one as well.

Thank you in advance. Although I screwed a lot up, it would be nice to get some mushrooms through the entire process!

--------------------
Engineer | Pilot | Cordwainer | Brewer | Distiller | Wine Enthusiast |

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineForrester
embracing the subtle
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine, USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Pearl Oyster Bags [Re: Grenik]
    #26990192 - 10/17/20 04:44 PM (3 days, 17 hours ago)

I'm afraid you're a bit too late to save the first flush of mushrooms on bag 1, they've already grown but had no air that's why they're all skinny like that.  You might be able to get a 2nd flush, do you have a fruiting chamber or anything?  What was your plan for fruiting?  Cause it should have been done a while ago...

--------------------
Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Edited by Forrester (10/17/20 04:45 PM)

OfflineGrenik
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First Pearl Oyster Bags [Re: Forrester]
    #26990234 - 10/17/20 05:19 PM (3 days, 16 hours ago)

I had planned to slice the side of the bag and mist them a couple times a day and have them grow out the side.

These are enriched sawdust bags. Better method?

--------------------

Edited by Grenik (10/17/20 05:30 PM)

OfflineForrester
embracing the subtle
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Pearl Oyster Bags [Re: Grenik] * 1
    #26990434 - 10/17/20 08:05 PM (3 days, 13 hours ago)

After spawning in the bags, get all the air out and re-seal (with tape or however).  Cut the slit, or x's right then.  Then the mushrooms will be forced to fruit out the holes you made, instead of inside the bag on top of the substrate like they did.

--------------------
Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineGrenik
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: First Pearl Oyster Bags [Re: Forrester]
    #26990517 - 10/17/20 08:59 PM (3 days, 12 hours ago)

Quote:

Forrester said:
After spawning in the bags, get all the air out and re-seal (with tape or however).  Cut the slit, or x's right then.  Then the mushrooms will be forced to fruit out the holes you made, instead of inside the bag on top of the substrate like they did.

Once the bags are cut, do I need to spray them or cover them in some way? I am using the 4x5" unicorn bags. How large of a slit or X should I be making?

Thank you for all the help. You have answered several of my posts and I see you on most of the other posts as well. Thanks for taking the time to help!

--------------------

OfflineForrester
embracing the subtle
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First Pearl Oyster Bags [Re: Grenik]
    #26990989 - 10/18/20 06:30 AM (3 days, 3 hours ago)

My bad I forgot you were supplementing yours.  In this case, wait till the bag is colonized before cutting the x or slit, don't do it right at spawning.  Once it's colonized it's protected and you don't have to worry about anything getting in where you cut.

(unsupplemented bags you can cut right at spawning)

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms