Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Amazon Agar, Parafilm, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePhony Phone
Stranger
agar storage methods
    #26990174 - 10/17/20 04:31 PM (7 days, 11 hours ago)

sorry if there are relevant threads but i didnt manage to find any conclusive answers on the matter. How do I store agar and/or plates if:

1. I open the petri plates from the sleeve but decide I don't wanna use them right away and want to re-store them.

2. I pour the agar but don't inoculate it until a few days up until a month

3. I inoculate it. I understand it has to be kept at room temp to colonize at 3/4 of the plate and then it has to be refrigerated, am i missing something?

One more thing, why do we only allow it to go till 3/4 then refrigerate it? is it because it runs out of food and dies?
Thanks.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMr. Mushie
Re: agar storage methods [Re: Phony Phone] * 1
    #26990209 - 10/17/20 04:55 PM (7 days, 11 hours ago)

1. You can put them back into the sleeve they came from and tape it back up. As long as none of them have been opened you're good to go.

2. You would wrap the plates in the SAB with cling wrap or parafilm, (I use cling warp) and store at room temperature.

3. Keep the plates at room temperature 68-74 degrees. At this point it depends on what you want to do with it. Is it from MS syringe and you're going to grains? Or is it a clone that you wish to store long term? If the latter, you grow it out 2/3 or so on the dish so that it's easy to transfer from and you have multiple places that you can transfer from in the future if it's going to be your master plate.

Contamination generally harbors around the edge of a dish so you generally don't grow it out all the way to avoid unseen contamination, unless you want to clone a dish pin then by all means grow it out for a 4-6 weeks and wait for the pin.

OfflinePhony Phone
Stranger
Re: agar storage methods [Re: Mr. Mushie]
    #26990260 - 10/17/20 05:41 PM (7 days, 10 hours ago)

Hey, thanks for the response.
About point 2., is it also ok to store in the fridge?

About point 3., I got the part about clones, but what about transferring whole plates to spawn? Do you just let it reach out to the edges of the plate then you shove it in grains or whatever spawn? And what about the possible contaminants that sit on the edge of the plate in this case, won't they too transfer to spawn if you let it grow too far?

Thanks.

OfflineBig_Dub
confused
Male

Loc: USA Flag
Re: agar storage methods [Re: Phony Phone]
    #26990269 - 10/17/20 05:46 PM (7 days, 10 hours ago)

Just leave the poured agar plates in the SAB. Or you can tape them with parafilm or cling wrap.

you can store agar in fridge.

when you have a nice culture on a petri dish, cut a tiny piece of it and then add it to your sterilized grain. you dont need to transfer the whole plate.

--------------------
:smile:

Onlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: agar storage methods [Re: Big_Dub]
    #26990279 - 10/17/20 05:54 PM (7 days, 10 hours ago)

Good answers MR mush.

If storing in the fridge, take care to wrap nicely and do something to prevent temp swings unless you want to deal with a lot of condensation. Fridges constantly fluctuate temps and often lead to heavily condensed plates. These fluctations also try as hard as possible to suck nasties (most people fridges are fucking filthy compared to our standards) into the plate.

A couple of wraps of tin foil actually helps cut down on condensation but it's better to put cultures in an insulated lunch box that you then put in the fridge.

OfflinePhony Phone
Stranger
Re: agar storage methods [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #26990302 - 10/17/20 06:16 PM (7 days, 9 hours ago)

Thank you all. :super::sun::thumbup::mushroom2:

InvisibleSir Pentinite
Stranger all the time.

Loc: ation Location Location
Re: agar storage methods [Re: Phony Phone]
    #26990762 - 10/18/20 12:16 AM (7 days, 3 hours ago)

What I have done is put a hoop of cling wrap over several (up to five) plates to hold them together and put them back in the sleeve at room temp in a SAB. Clean plates won't grow anything and I've used them up to several months after pouring.

--------------------
"I thought to myself 'Boy, I'm sure glad there's nobody here to see this because this is exactly the sort of thing that gets people riled-up and they assume you're dying and that something has to be done. Where if you're alone, you know, you either come through it or you die, but in any case you avoid the fuss.'"
- Terrence McKenna

Offlinesotally tober
Stranger

Re: agar storage methods [Re: Sir Pentinite]
    #26990778 - 10/18/20 12:32 AM (7 days, 3 hours ago)

If I refrigerate plates I put them in a ziploc or something similar and put that inside of a small insulated lunch bag to keep the temps more stable:thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Amazon Agar, Parafilm, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation