Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSittin_On_A_Toilet
Stranger
First Agar Experience - Need Advice on Best Path
    #26989990 - 10/17/20 01:54 PM (9 days, 8 minutes ago)

I recently decided to get back into this world after a ~5 year break where I only tried BRF cakes from a spore syringe. This time I am starting with spore syringe to agar as I've had nothing but bad luck with contaminated syringes and agar work is very interesting to me.

Right now I have 12 wide mouth half pint mason jars filled a little over 1/4" with LME Agar cooling after 40mins in a PC at 15 PSI. I bought the premixed stuff for my first few experiments - Malt Extract Agar. The lids are high quality PP lids which have a syringe filter and inoculation port. I bought these as I thought I was going to start with an LC from syringe, but after more reading here decided that was a bad idea.

I also have 20 gamma sterilized petri dishes when I decide to get more serious with the agar work and try a strain isolation. But this first experiment I stuck to a 'no pour' tek. I plan on keeping all colonizing jars (agar/grain/other) in a temp controlled room at 80F.

Questions I have before moving forward:
- I would like to avoid opening sterilized jars to inoculate, even in my SAB. Can I inoculate through the port on my lid in a small area on the agar? Or should I absolutely use the wire loop zig zag method?
- My plan is to inoculate 5 agar jars, saving the rest in case I need to do transfers to avoid contams. Once I have at least 5 clean and fully colonized agar jars I want to start ~3 LME LCs (in same style jars) using agar wedges, and use the rest of the wedges to inoculate QT WBS jars. Does that sound like a good way to get my operation going?

Thanks in advance to everyone on this board. I wanted to jump in ASAP, but decided to be patient and read/gather materials for a month before starting. I'm 100% open to anyone's advice on how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation