Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlineedgar1337
Professional Moron
Is colonizing mycellium supposed to start looking like little cotton balls?
    #26987080 - 10/15/20 03:24 PM (9 days, 12 hours ago)

After an inane quantity of failed jars, this most recent attempt is the first to go on past 5 days without a vinegar smell or other misfortunes. I inoculated BRF 4oz jars on 10/11, now on day 4, I have spotted little white balls in some of the jars. It doesn't appear veiny like its supposed to. It doesn't look like any pictures I've seen of "partial" colonization. The growths look like the tip of a q-tips cotton ball - in size and in texture.

So give it to me... its contamination, isn't it? I tried to take a picture, unfortunately I have textured jars that have a stupid pattern on them that makes it look like a kaleidoscope when I try to use a camera, so the quality isn't great. Its in the middle portion of the clear glass side - difficult to distinguish from the BRF/verm chunks.

All previous failed attempts had an unusual odor - these ones don't, they smell like mushroomy earthy... almost granolla-like. Presumably from the BRF. But if it was a random fungal growth or bacteria, wouldn't it smell abnormal by now?

Edited by edgar1337 (10/15/20 03:41 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefraki58
Mycology Learner

Re: Is colonizing mycellium supposed to start looking like little cotton balls? [Re: edgar1337]
    #26987087 - 10/15/20 03:27 PM (9 days, 12 hours ago)

Try your best to take a picture, I'll probably won't be able to help you since i'm new as well but others will!

--------------------
If any of the said above is incorrect, please correct me! Still learning here and constructive criticism is the best :smile:

OfflineArthurFungarelli
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is colonizing mycellium supposed to start looking like little cotton balls? [Re: fraki58] * 2
    #26987096 - 10/15/20 03:33 PM (9 days, 12 hours ago)

Looks like mycellium to me, but the jar does look a bit on the wet side, which may have contributed to your past issues.  The earthy mushroom smell is a good sign you're on the right track.  If they don't start to smell bad and there's no obvious visual contaminants, I'd let them go a few more days.  It'll probably be more obvious that it's mycellium at that point.

--------------------

Offlineedgar1337
Professional Moron
Re: Is colonizing mycellium supposed to start looking like little cotton balls? [Re: ArthurFungarelli]
    #26987102 - 10/15/20 03:39 PM (9 days, 11 hours ago)

The jars used an exact 2:1:1 ratio, and a handful was taken and squeezed - squeezing as hard as possible and only a drop or two came out. For steam sterilization, the jars were covered with aluminum foil - two layers, and wrapped as tightly as possible.

The top 4 holes of the jar are covered with durapore 3M tape. I'm not sure how it could be too moist, but the only chink in the tek would have been injection of too much spore liquid - which seems likely since it can be difficult to visualize how much your putting in when your looking through the plastic of a SAB.

OfflineArthurFungarelli
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Is colonizing mycellium supposed to start looking like little cotton balls? [Re: edgar1337]
    #26987105 - 10/15/20 03:41 PM (9 days, 11 hours ago)

I know what you mean about poor visibility through an SAB.  It could just be the texture on the glass that I'm seeing too.  Either way, it's looking alright to me so far!

--------------------

Offlineedgar1337
Professional Moron
Re: Is colonizing mycellium supposed to start looking like little cotton balls? [Re: ArthurFungarelli]
    #26987186 - 10/15/20 04:26 PM (9 days, 11 hours ago)

Quote:

ArthurFungarelli said:
I know what you mean about poor visibility through an SAB.  It could just be the texture on the glass that I'm seeing too.  Either way, it's looking alright to me so far!

Thank you for the assistance!

OfflineJoe Gage
Stranger

#26987259 - 10/15/20 05:03 PM (9 days, 10 hours ago)

Looks ok to me from what I can see. If it spreads super fast then you got a problem.

Offlineedgar1337
Professional Moron
Re: Is colonizing mycellium supposed to start looking like little cotton balls? [Re: Joe Gage]
    #26987787 - 10/16/20 01:47 AM (9 days, 1 hour ago)

Quote:

Joe Gage said:
Looks ok to me from what I can see. If it spreads super fast then you got a problem.

Good to know. So far its spreading slowly, but I'm also pretty damn impatient. And completely inexperienced as well, so I'm not sure what would qualify as "super fast" spread.

Now that some of the jars have white cotton ball looking growths, how long should it take (assuming its mycellium) to colonize? 30%? 100%? Any time frames would be appreciated! I want to be able to catch it quickly if its bad.

OfflinePBJ710
Stranger
I'm a teapot

#26987849 - 10/16/20 03:13 AM (9 days, 21 minutes ago)

Could be as quick as a 7-10 days...most likely 14-21, but maybe as much as a month.  Wetter cakes tend to colonize slower, so if you over inoculated, that may contribute. 

When I do PFTek innoculations, I measure by feel - .25cc is only about 2mm of travel on the plunger of a 10cc syringe.  Thats easy to consistently reproduce if you palm the syringe and use your thumb to depress the plunger.

InvisibleFriedEgg
I'm a teapot

Loc: Taiwan
Re: Is colonizing mycellium supposed to start looking like little cotton balls? [Re: PBJ710]
    #26987878 - 10/16/20 03:38 AM (8 days, 23 hours ago)

yeah that little white fuzz ball in the center is mycelium. your jars look wet though. did you remember to add a dry verm layer at the top of your jar?

Offlineedgar1337
Professional Moron
Re: Is colonizing mycellium supposed to start looking like little cotton balls? [Re: FriedEgg]
    #26989148 - 10/16/20 10:40 PM (8 days, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

FriedEgg said:
yeah that little white fuzz ball in the center is mycelium. your jars look wet though. did you remember to add a dry verm layer at the top of your jar?

Yes, there is also durapore 3M tape over the holes. The vermiculite was pretty coarse though, and I've heard that its supposed to be fine tiny pieces, so hopefully that doesn't present issues (and hopefully I didn't use the wrong type of verm if there is such a thing.)

In the last 24 hours, the cotton balls have started to appear in all jars. Considering how often I've failed in these type of things, I'm not getting my hopes up. But then again, it seems unlikely that every jar would be contaminated and they are all consistently growing the same contaminant.

Edited by edgar1337 (10/16/20 10:42 PM)

InvisibleFriedEgg
I'm a teapot

#26989154 - 10/16/20 10:43 PM (8 days, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

edgar1337 said:
In the last 24 hours, the cotton balls have started to appear in all jars.

that's good! that's not a contam. that just means your spores have germinated.

OfflinePBJ710
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Is colonizing mycellium supposed to start looking like little cotton balls? [Re: FriedEgg]
    #26989199 - 10/16/20 11:17 PM (8 days, 4 hours ago)

Sounds promising so far.

Now the tough part - leave them alone while they grow.  Check back in a few days to see where you're at, but try not to pick them up as it can disturb that protective layer at the top.

OfflineYumyumyumyum
Thinker
 User Gallery

Re: Is colonizing mycellium supposed to start looking like little cotton balls? [Re: PBJ710]
    #26989204 - 10/16/20 11:26 PM (8 days, 4 hours ago)

Sounds like along the way you got contams going not the above picture(That is fine). I have been at this a year transitioning to all the different formats as I go. I have done all the transfer types being overly complex at times. Now its very simple. 32 jar rotation cycle. 1 set of 16 every 7-14 days using vendor syringes. I do everything minus the material. Works like a charm. Out of the last 32 jars I had 2 fail with 4 strains. They went from cakes, to fruiting chambers then I figured about 25% of the way in to go totally mono tub. Coco coir, verm and gypsum. Since then its been a good morning every morning since I have 17 tubs going(all sizes) I literally was digging through the recycle bin looking for pasty tins to put stuff in. Previous to this I had a complete system fail due to trying to help someone learn this skill set. We followed every rule but everything I had and everything they had turned to complete and utter crap. I was doing so-so to good before this, you learn as you go. I have had the entire cycle almost fail twice it is why I use a vendor I can spent a large amount of time sciencing with hit or miss results or just make sure point A is warrantied. Once I removed that extra person from the problem and simplified everything has been going well.

Edited by Yumyumyumyum (10/16/20 11:39 PM)

InvisibleFriedEgg
I'm a teapot

Re: Is colonizing mycellium supposed to start looking like little cotton balls? [Re: Yumyumyumyum] * 1
    #26989215 - 10/16/20 11:36 PM (8 days, 3 hours ago)

Quote:

Yumyumyumyum said:
Sounds like along the way you got contams going. I have been at this a year transitioning to all the different formats as I go. I have done all the transfer types being overly complex at times. Now its very simple. 32 jar rotation cycle. 1 set of 16 every 7-14 days using vendor syringes. I do everything minus the material. Works like a charm. Out of the last 32 jars I had 2 fail with 4 strains. They went from cakes, to fruiting chambers then I figured about 25% of the way in to go totally mono tub. Coco coir, verm and gypsum. Since then its been a good morning every morning since I have 17 tubs going(all sizes) I literally was digging through the recycle bin looking for pasty tins to put stuff in. Previous to this I have a complete system fail due to trying to help someone learn this skill set. We followed every rule but everything I had and everything they had turned to complete and utter crap. Once I removed that extra person from the problem and simplified everything has been going well.

:justno: no. that's healthy mycelium in the photo, not a contam. the growth appeared in all jars around day 4-6 which is expected for cube germination time.

OfflineFlufferNutter
Nerd Extraordinaire
Male

Loc: Shadow of the District
    #26989236 - 10/17/20 12:01 AM (8 days, 3 hours ago)

This ^^^

OfflinePearl
Stranger

#26990055 - 10/17/20 02:43 PM (7 days, 12 hours ago)

Re speed of jars colonizing, timing will be variable and can be longer based on room temperature. I'm in a cold climate and have had jars take over a month for sure.

You can still have contams show up at any point in the uncolonized areas (I've seen it past week 2-3 in slow moving jars before). I would leave them undisturbed whilst the top is still colonizing so as not to negate your verm layer.

But yeah, looks good so far. What's your plan for when they are fully colonized?

Offlineedgar1337
Professional Moron
    #26990526 - 10/17/20 09:06 PM (7 days, 6 hours ago)

Quote:

FriedEgg said:
Quote:

Yumyumyumyum said:
Sounds like along the way you got contams going. I have been at this a year transitioning to all the different formats as I go. I have done all the transfer types being overly complex at times. Now its very simple. 32 jar rotation cycle. 1 set of 16 every 7-14 days using vendor syringes. I do everything minus the material. Works like a charm. Out of the last 32 jars I had 2 fail with 4 strains. They went from cakes, to fruiting chambers then I figured about 25% of the way in to go totally mono tub. Coco coir, verm and gypsum. Since then its been a good morning every morning since I have 17 tubs going(all sizes) I literally was digging through the recycle bin looking for pasty tins to put stuff in. Previous to this I have a complete system fail due to trying to help someone learn this skill set. We followed every rule but everything I had and everything they had turned to complete and utter crap. Once I removed that extra person from the problem and simplified everything has been going well.

:justno: no. that's healthy mycelium in the photo, not a contam. the growth appeared in all jars around day 4-6 which is expected for cube germination time.

What about these pics? Do they look like contamination? It has grown a bit over the last 48 hours - from one little cotton ball to numerous larger cottonballs with stringy texture.

Thing is, on the pic of the bottom jar, there is a strange orange glob there. Trippytimes/Contamination Queen said it was normal, but I've also heard discoloration is a sign of fuckery.

Do these jars look okay? And does anyone have an estimate for how long until full colonization (it has been ~5 days of growth in these pics)

Edited by edgar1337 (10/17/20 09:07 PM)

Offlineedgar1337
Professional Moron
    #26990532 - 10/17/20 09:11 PM (7 days, 6 hours ago)

Quote:

PBJ710 said:
Sounds promising so far.

Now the tough part - leave them alone while they grow.  Check back in a few days to see where you're at, but try not to pick them up as it can disturb that protective layer at the top.

I can't! Its a compulsion. I'm so excited that I might have actually done it correctly. Its the same feeling when I finally did a proper A/B tek for DMT extraction (after many failed attempts.) It probably sounds pretty sad for someone to be proud of such things, but I haven't accomplished anything of note in my life thus far.

Its encouraging to think that I can correctly do a process that is without a doubt tricky and finicky. I gently check my jars maybe 2-3 times a day. I know its pointless and it doesn't aid anything, but I've become attached to them - so much so that I started giving pet names to them!

Offlineedgar1337
Professional Moron
Re: Is colonizing mycellium supposed to start looking like little cotton balls? [Re: Pearl]
    #26990539 - 10/17/20 09:16 PM (7 days, 6 hours ago)

Quote:

Pearl said:
Re speed of jars colonizing, timing will be variable and can be longer based on room temperature. I'm in a cold climate and have had jars take over a month for sure.

You can still have contams show up at any point in the uncolonized areas (I've seen it past week 2-3 in slow moving jars before). I would leave them undisturbed whilst the top is still colonizing so as not to negate your verm layer.

But yeah, looks good so far. What's your plan for when they are fully colonized?

I have heard spawning to bulk is better yield, but the guide said to at least succeed in the PF cake fruiting first. Plus, as far as I know BRF PF cakes aren't specifically meant for bulk substrate.

I'm going to throw the cakes into my SGFC (which honestly I have no idea if I even made it correctly), put 6500k lights over it in a 12/12 cycle, then wait to see if it starts fruiting.

I have about 5 uncle bens brown rice bags inoculating, but from what people say here, I'm starting to wonder if that tek is even worth a damn. It claims it is foolproof for noobs, but I guess we will see.

InvisibleFriedEgg
I'm a teapot

#26990691 - 10/17/20 11:03 PM (7 days, 4 hours ago)

those last pics look normal :thumbup: but i can't tell what that orange blob is because the photos are blurry and it's hard to see through that glass. i'd just keep an eye on it. you'll get a better idea of what it is in a week.

Offlineedgar1337
Professional Moron
    #26990724 - 10/17/20 11:30 PM (7 days, 4 hours ago)

I noticed the vermiculite I used has shiny specks of mineral, so it could be that. But after being mixed thoroughly with BRF and water, it shoud be covered with substrate. Sadly, the orange booger looking thing is in a couple jars, and even more unfortunately, they happen to be the jars that have the healthiest (bright white and stringy) looking mycellium.

Does anyone know if there is a way to salvage a PF tek jar if it has a small impurity/contaminant in it? I imagine opening the jars at this point would probably only make it worse. But in the worst case scenario, is it possible to just cut out the healthy mycellium in a possibly contaminated jar and just use those chunks?

InvisibleFriedEgg
I'm a teapot

#26990766 - 10/18/20 12:21 AM (7 days, 3 hours ago)

no, you can't cut out contams.

just wait and see what happens. i know it's hard but be patient. give it a closer look when you birth the jars.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Gypsum, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation