Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Amazon Aldous Huxley, Magic Flight Launch Box, Scales, The Doors, Vaporizer

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands, USA Flag
Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds
    #26951938 - 09/23/20 11:55 PM (28 days, 5 minutes ago)

Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds
www.cnn.com

If you're one of the growing numbers of women who use weed while pregnant, think twice: A new study found it may increase psychotic-like behaviors in children.

The study, published Wednesday in JAMA Psychiatry, analyzed data on 11,489 children who were followed as part of the Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) study, which says it's the "largest long-term study of brain development and child health in the United States." The children's cognitive and behavior patterns were evaluated in middle childhood, around age 9.

Of those children, 655 were exposed to cannabis while in utero, according to statements from the mothers. Compared to the 10,834 children with no exposure, children whose mothers had used during pregnancy were more likely to have psychotic-like behaviors and more attention, social and sleep problems, as well as weaker cognitive abilities.

If the woman continued to use after she discovered she was pregnant, the negative effects were more pronounced, the study found, and stayed after adjusting for confounding variables.

"Use of cannabis despite knowledge of pregnancy might represent a preexisting and more severe form of cannabis use," the authors wrote.

A growing problem

Use of marijuana by pregnant women has been growing in the United States and other countries such as Canada in recent decades. A 2019 analysis of over 450,000 pregnant American women ages 12 to 44 by the National Institute on Drug Abuse found cannabis use more than doubled between 2002 and 2017.

The vast majority of marijuana use was during the first three months of pregnancy, the study found, and it was predominantly recreational rather than medical.

Yet the first trimester may be one of the most sensitive times for the developing brain of a fetus, when it's most susceptible to damage. Not only does THC -- the compound in marijuana that makes you high -- enter the fetal brain from the mother's bloodstream, but once there it can impact the baby's developing brain.

Studies have found receptors for cannabis in the brains of animals as early as five and six weeks of gestational age.

Past studies have shown the use of marijuana during pregnancy is linked to low birth weight, impulsivity, hyperactivity, attention issues and other cognitive and behavioral issue in children, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

There's even a connection to autism. A prior study found that women who used weed during pregnancy were 1.5 times more likely to have a child with autism.

Any woman using marijuana and discovers she is pregnant should immediately discuss her use with her doctors, experts say. Yet many young women aren't honest, studies have shown. One study of women 24 years old and younger found they were about twice as likely to screen positive for marijuana use than they stated in self-reports.

Warning by Surgeon General

Last year, in response to growing concern over the increased use of weed during pregnancy, US Surgeon General Jerome Adams issued a statement advising against the use of cannabis during pregnancy.

"Recent increases in access to marijuana and in its potency, along with misperceptions of safety of marijuana endanger our most precious resource, our nation's youth," he wrote.

The ill effects can continue after birth with continued marijuana use, the Surgeon General's advisory says.

"THC has been found in breast milk for up to six days after the last recorded use," the advisory states. "It may affect the newborn's brain development and result in hyperactivity, poor cognitive function, and other long-term consequences.

"Additionally, marijuana smoke contains many of the same harmful components as tobacco smoke. No one should smoke marijuana or tobacco around a baby."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBuckomcdoogle
Backwoods distillation expert
 User Gallery

Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: Ythan]
    #26952150 - 09/24/20 05:52 AM (27 days, 18 hours ago)

Lovely.

Ive known multiple women that were taking dabs 8-9 months pregnant.

Enjoy dealing with your dab baby for the next 18 years.

--------------------
"Nothing is more dangerous to your creativity than comfort and familiarity"

“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.” - Zappa

"It's called rational thinking" - Zappa

"Logic leads to nihilism..."

OfflinePsilosisCubencybe
Stranger

Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: Ythan] * 2
    #26952153 - 09/24/20 05:58 AM (27 days, 18 hours ago)

:callingbullshit:

OfflineThe Thing
Male User Gallery

Loc: Southern Australia
Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: PsilosisCubencybe]
    #26952174 - 09/24/20 07:12 AM (27 days, 16 hours ago)

Its either fake news or legit.

OfflineYokal
Stranger
Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: The Thing]
    #26952455 - 09/24/20 12:04 PM (27 days, 11 hours ago)

And if you use alcohol and tobacco the baby comes out dead.

InvisiblebodhisattaM
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: Yokal] * 2
    #26952544 - 09/24/20 01:19 PM (27 days, 10 hours ago)

I wonder about mothers who abuse social media and raise their cortisol levels routinely.

--------------------
police violence is no accident
ACAB
There's two kinds of people. Those who have had a bad interaction with cops and those who haven't got their turn

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26952662 - 09/24/20 02:33 PM (27 days, 9 hours ago)

I'm not condoning the use of cannabis while pregnant and I'm not trying to "defend" the herb...but other studies haven't shown there to be any drastic/detrimental effects on new born babies and children who's mothers used cannabis while pregnant compared to those with mothers who didn't use cannabis while pregnant.

I suppose these studies aren't looking so much at "behavior" tho :shrug:  .

Quote:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8121737/

Prenatal marijuana exposure and neonatal outcomes in Jamaica: an ethnographic study
M C Dreher 1, K Nugent, R Hudgins
Affiliations expand
PMID: 8121737
Abstract
Objective: To identify neurobehavioral effects of prenatal marijuana exposure on neonates in rural Jamaica.

Design: Ethnographic field studies and standardized neuro-behavior assessments during the neonatal period.

Setting: Rural Jamaica in heavy-marijuana-using population.

Participants: Twenty-four Jamaican neonates exposed to marijuana prenatally and 20 nonexposed neonates.

Measurements and main results: Exposed and nonexposed neonates were compared at 3 days and 1 month old, using the Brazelton Neonatal Assessment Scale, including supplementary items to capture possible subtle effects. There were no significant differences between exposed and nonexposed neonates on day 3. At 1 month, the exposed neonates showed better physiological stability and required less examiner facilitation to reach organized states. The neonates of heavy-marijuana-using mothers had better scores on autonomic stability, quality of alertness, irritability, and self-regulation and were judged to be more rewarding for caregivers.

Conclusions: The absence of any differences between the exposed on nonexposed groups in the early neonatal period suggest that the better scores of exposed neonates at 1 month are traceable to the cultural positioning and social and economic characteristics of mothers using marijuana that select for the use of marijuana but also promote neonatal development.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8121737/

Quote:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1957518/

Five-year follow-up of rural Jamaican children whose mothers used marijuana during pregnancy
J S Hayes 1, R Lampart, M C Dreher, L Morgan
Affiliations expand
PMID: 1957518

Abstract
This research provides data on the development of 59 Jamaican children, from birth to age 5 years, whose mothers used marijuana during pregnancy. Approximately one-half of the sample used marijuana during pregnancy and were matched with non-users according to age, parity, and socioeconomic status. Testing of the children was done at 1, 3, and 30 days of age with the Brazelton Neonatal Behavioral Assessment Scales and at ages 4 and 5 years with the McCarthy Scales of Children's Abilities. Data about the child's home environment and temperament were collected from direct observations as well as from standardized questionnaires. The results show no significant differences in developmental testing outcomes between children of marijuana-using and non-using mothers except at 30 days of age when the babies of users had more favourable scores on two clusters of the Brazelton Scales: autonomic stability and reflexes. The developmental scores at ages 4 and 5 years were significantly correlated to certain aspects of the home environment and to regularity of basic school (preschool) attendance.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1957518/

If I ever have kids I honestly wouldn't have a problem with the mother of my children using small amounts of cannabis (that I grew myself) taken orally from time to time while pregnant. I view this plant as much more than "just a drug" or "just something to smoke and get high on" though....I'm not talking about smoking bowls & blunts & getting stoned, I'm not talking about taking dabs or hitting distillate pens, but herb that I grew myself infused into an edible oil along with other nourishing herbs.

-OM

--------------------

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26953147 - 09/24/20 07:37 PM (27 days, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

The Thing said:
Its either fake news or legit.

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
I wonder about mothers who abuse social media and raise their cortisol levels routinely.

...And mothers who live in poverty without a partner or other social support. Come to think of it, there's not any reason to "wonder." We already know that produces bad outcomes for everybody.

Offlinethe_way
political prisoner
 User Gallery

Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: sonoramo]
    #26953905 - 09/25/20 07:51 AM (26 days, 16 hours ago)

If your mom is a crazy bitch your more likely to be one also. It fits into my preconceived notion. Crack babies be hyper-diaper with the ADD and they love sugar. I got five on it

--------------------
cloudcare:theway

OnlineLosTresOjos
Humano
I'm a teapot
Loc: Hurling Through Space
Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: the_way]
    #26954299 - 09/25/20 01:14 PM (26 days, 10 hours ago)

Correlation equals causation.

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: LosTresOjos] * 1
    #26954492 - 09/25/20 03:15 PM (26 days, 8 hours ago)

Leave it to folks on the shroomery to steadfastly deny the notion that cannabis could have any negative effects under any circumstances:rolleyes: You do know that you can acknowledge the negatives while still advocating for legalization, right? :facepalm:

--------------------

OfflineYokal
Stranger
Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: Dark_Star]
    #26954498 - 09/25/20 03:19 PM (26 days, 8 hours ago)

Smoking is bad
Depletes nutrients to expend toxins
People still find a way to survive

Offlinetacodude
Old Soul
 User Gallery
Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: Yokal]
    #26954592 - 09/25/20 04:35 PM (26 days, 7 hours ago)

Maybe that's just because the degreading education system... There's definitely outside factors to consider.

OfflineHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: tacodude]
    #26957755 - 09/27/20 07:05 PM (24 days, 4 hours ago)

They are supposed to normalize for things like socioeconomic status and medical history. But that depends on the subject being honest and aware themselves.

Perhaps the mothers have undiagnosed mental health issues or don't know their families medical history. Maybe they have other stressors in their lives, that drive them to use drugs to cope, which can have a negative affect on a pregnancy and a young child's health.

I have no doubt that heavy cannabis use throughout pregnancy will have a negative impact on the child development, especially if one is smoking it.

But the results were only apparent in mothers who continued to use even after becoming aware they were pregnant...I have trouble believing that cannabis use is the only difference between one group of mothers who stopped using drugs once becoming aware of their pregnancy and another group of mothers who continued to use drugs throughout. And the researcher already revealed that they believed the ones who kept using were probably heavy users.

And the differences wouldn't stop with the pregnancy, they would continue after birth...and what mother is completely honest about what goes on at home and their own shortcomings in child rearing?

As I said they are supposed to adjust for said factors, but its not a perfect process and it wouldn't be the first time researchers left things out(even without intent) to obtain a result that confirms what they already believed or wanted to see.

Offlinescifipirate
Jug Fuckler
Male User Gallery

Loc: FL Flag
Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: Dark_Star]
    #26960945 - 09/29/20 09:44 PM (22 days, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

Dark_Star said:
Leave it to folks on the shroomery to steadfastly deny the notion that cannabis could have any negative effects under any circumstances:rolleyes: You do know that you can acknowledge the negatives while still advocating for legalization, right? :facepalm:

Some of us are just old enough to have heard these same “studies” for 20,40, maybe 60 years. It’s never not been bullshit...

OfflineSixtiesSurvivor
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: UK
Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: Ythan] * 1
    #26982958 - 10/13/20 10:51 AM (8 days, 13 hours ago)

Total bullshit, part of the misinformation campaign that's been going on since the first racist crap invented to get it made illegal.

If cannabinoids affected pregnant women and their offspring, the whole species homo sapoens would be psychotic as our bodies make cannabinoids and they are essential for the workings of body and mind, involved in just about every biological process. Apart from personal experience of women I have known who gave birth to perfect babies who went on to do amazing things, the plant simply mimics cannabinoids created by all mammals, by which means it enables survival and propagation from antiquity to the present.

That's why different cannabinoids treat a variety of medical conditions, most likely caused by a depleted endocannabinoid system [endo- meaning within the body, phyto-cannabinoids means from plants].

There have been many attempts to link cannabis with psychosis, all faailures and all lacking any science, merely congecture and massaging of data. In reality one, CBD, is an antipsychotic and is used for treating pcychosis such as schizophrenia. Antis claim that THC is the 'bad' cannabinoid, because they fear it as it is the most noticeable cause of being high. Being high is nothing like being schizophrenic! Straights are scared of everything, especially the doors of perception. And think they have a right to object to what others do.

Don't spread this BS, you're simply doing their dirty work for them.

InvisibleMagicman69
All About the Benjamins
Male

Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: SixtiesSurvivor]
    #26983069 - 10/13/20 11:53 AM (8 days, 12 hours ago)

I don't believe this but at the same time I don't condone THC use deep into a Pregnancy. If there's anytime being sober is advantageous it's when you're growing a baby inside of you. That goes for pills, anti-depressants, booze, and psych's too :jah:

OfflineBuckomcdoogle
Backwoods distillation expert
 User Gallery

Re: Using weed during pregnancy linked to psychotic-like behaviors in children, study finds [Re: SixtiesSurvivor] * 1
    #26986298 - 10/15/20 02:46 AM (6 days, 21 hours ago)

Comparing Endocannabinoids and Phytocannabinoids is so apples and oranges.

Yes, your body creates its own Endocannabinoids.... But not in the amounts that you get when you take a dab or smoke 20+% cannabis....

That's why people who smoke everyday have such jacked up appetites....
The amount of endocannabinoids your body produces aren't enough to stimulate your desensitized cannabinoid receptors that are accustomed to getting a flood of Phytocannabinoids on a regular basis....

Even if the cannabinoids themselves weren't consequential to a fetus, most ingestion methods of cannabis come with toxic byproducts.

Unless you are using a top of the line vaporizer or eating it, you are subjecting yourself to carcinogenic compounds....
There is really no debating that, its well documented.

--------------------
"Nothing is more dangerous to your creativity than comfort and familiarity"

“If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.” - Zappa

"It's called rational thinking" - Zappa

"Logic leads to nihilism..."

Edited by Buckomcdoogle (10/15/20 02:47 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   Amazon Aldous Huxley, Magic Flight Launch Box, Scales, The Doors, Vaporizer

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service