Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAtomisk
all forms areself awareness

Loc: jungle of love
believable "paranormal" activities
    #2698397 - 05/18/04 09:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

all the recent speak of paranormal phenomenon sparked my interest. i found this page. this example(and more) taken from:
web page

actually, im not really sure this qualifies as "paranormal" but it seems to me more unexplained. whatever, its neato

Deep with Death Valley National Park is a place called the Racetrack Playa. It lies 3,708 feet above sea level, 2.8 miles long and 1.3 miles wide. It is almost perfectly flat the north end is only five centimeters higher than the south end. It is called the Race Track Playa, and is home to a unique phenomenom. It seems that while no one is looking, the dolomite rocks which crumble from the cliff face at the southern end, travel whimsically across the vast dry lake bed. The rocks leave trails behind them as they make their way, the only testament to their unruly behavior.

The phenomenon was noticed over a hundred years ago by explorers and gold miners, but was not really studied scientifically until about 1948. To this day, the reason for their wayward ways has not been fully explained. There are two main schools of thought surrounding it, one which says ice sheets are responsible for the rocks travails and the other that a combination of dampness and tornadic winds provide the force. Interestingly, proponents of each have debunked the others claims, by showing faults in the scientific process at which the various conclusions seem to reach. It has even been suggested that the rocks motion is the result of teenage pranksters. This theory can be ruled out right away as the footprints of the culprits would be visible as well. Some of the trails, including foot prints of people, can be fossilized for years before fading.

One school of thought is that ice sheets form on the lake bed in the winter, and sections break off and are aqueezed and pushed along, thus providing the much needed force to push
a 700 pound boulder for 3/4 of a mile in a winding, twisting path. The theory though faces several inconvienient facts. For one thing, while many rock trails do seem to travel parralell to one another, they in truth do not, and one will abrubtly turn away from the other, at seemingly random intervals. In the fifties an experiment was performed to test the theory, and proved conclusively that the ice sheet was not moving the rocks.

The other school of thought says that a combination of exotic wind gusting conditions, a slick lakebed, not to wet, but not to dry, all add up to make the rocks move. In truth, the erratic yet generally northward movements of the rocks, support the wind gust theory. So to with the soil conditions, a lower coefficient of friction would greatly reduce the amount of force needed to move everything from one pound rocks to 1/3 of a ton boulders around like a magic game of shuffle board combined with ice hockey. However, there are problems with this theory as well. The rocks are leaving furrows as they move, so even in slippery mud the normal force exerted on the rock, even in slippery mud, is relatively high.

Another question is why does this only happen in one place on the Earth? And an even bigger question is: Where do the rocks go when they reach the far side of the Playa? There should be thousands of rocks at the northern face of the lake bed. It is well known that the rocks begin their journey at the southern end, where a large dolamite cliff is slowly crumbling. Yet strangely enough, the rocks seem to disappear once they have crossed the Playa, as there are very few to be found.

The lakebed is now considered a protected wildlands part of the Death Valley National Park. The lakebed has been a favorite place from everything from drug smugglers to rock thieves. The rocks all have names, and the new laws surrounding the area are making it more and more difficult to study the phenomenon. As protected wild lands, the lake bed must be kept in pristine, natural condition. This means that no one is allowed on the Playa while it is wet. You are not allowed to drive anything, even a bicycle on the surface at any point. Dolamite, in general does not contain any iron, thus ruling out that magnetism may be playing a role in the mystery.

--------------------
o house-builder! thou art seen. thou shalt build no house again. all thy rafters are broken. thy ridge-pole is shattered.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
Re: believable "paranormal" activities [Re: Atomisk]
    #2698641 - 05/18/04 10:46 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Offlinecherokee
tennis shoes
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nationwide Flag
    #2698665 - 05/18/04 10:54 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

fucking goffers

OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

#2698708 - 05/18/04 11:15 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I saw a documentary special on this a few years ago.It was really neat.I'd recommend it if I could only remember the name... :confused:

I'm amazed how science has advanced so far yet they aren't even close to explaining how rocks "crawl" across the ground.lol

--------------------
"There is no fire like lust, no grip like hate, no net like delusions, no river like craving."

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
    #2698774 - 05/18/04 11:41 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

why ponder over how rocks move across the desert when you could ponder things like who you are and why are you only exist... There is so much proof that things supernatural exist, that this rock thing is very small on the scale of 'phenomenom' but it provokes intrest because some see it as visable proof of the unknown. WHat is it about the unknown that people find so hard to beleive... the universe is the unknown, let alone our own minds and existence...

OfflineAtomisk
all forms areself awareness

Loc: jungle of love
Re: believable "paranormal" activities [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2698975 - 05/19/04 12:25 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

yeah, thanks

--------------------
o house-builder! thou art seen. thou shalt build no house again. all thy rafters are broken. thy ridge-pole is shattered.

OfflineTheCheat
son of the lamb

Loc: Maillardville, Coquitlam,...
    #2699023 - 05/19/04 12:31 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

hmm my theory is that im a thousand year old alien who went crazy and started hullucinating and taht the world around me is just in my head. yup.

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: believable "paranormal" activities [Re: 2Experimental]
    #2701276 - 05/19/04 02:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

why ponder over how rocks move across the desert when you could ponder things like who you are and why are you only exist...

why ponder things like who you are and why are you only exist when you could ponder over how rocks move across the desert...

The questions of who we are and why we exist can be answered a thousand different ways, arguably all of them correctly. But there must be an empirical explanation for how these rocks move across the desert floor and I for one find it pretty damn fascinating. Maybe if we could answer the rock question it would give us insights into the other questions that you value.

Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
    #2701590 - 05/19/04 03:40 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

This is very interesting indeed. Perhaps caused by the magnetic force of the earth, somehow applying force on metallic minerals in the rocks? I know they said iron was not found in them, but maybe another mineral. Whatever the case, that's weird. :smile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology