Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale, Left Coast Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf, Kraken Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNikon Addict
Another Earthling
Male

Loc: Colorado USA
Low-Dose LSD Reduces Pain Perception * 1
    #26974291 - 10/07/20 08:20 PM (21 days, 17 hours ago)

A new clinical study reports that 20µg of LSD significantly reduces pain perception. This promising investigation builds on the little-known history of research into LSD as a potential analgesic.

Low-Dose LSD Reduces Pain Perception

--------------------
personal note: "It’s fair to say I’m stepping out on a limb, but I am on the edge and that’s where it happens.”

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemorrowasted
Male User Gallery

Re: Low-Dose LSD Reduces Pain Perception [Re: Nikon Addict] * 1
    #26975133 - 10/08/20 11:05 AM (21 days, 2 hours ago)

When I was addicted to kratom I would always wake up in withdrawal, feeling awful. However, if I would take LSD, say, on a Monday, then when I would wake up Tuesday morning, I wouldn't feel nearly as shitty. Later in the afternoon I would start to. I never tried intentionally microdosing to reduce W/D symptoms, though.  Serotonin plays a significant role in pain perception generally, but the way it does so is complicated. In the peripheral nervous system, serotonin can increase the perception of pain, but in certain parts of the central nervous system, it decreases it. It's been known for a while that 5HT2a agonism in general reduces the release of inflammatory chemicals like TNF-alpha.

I do see multiple problems with using LSD for chronic pain, though: 1) at a dose of 20ug, you get pretty significant effects. Many users can attest that at a dose like 20ug, LSD produces fairly significant anxiety and a "spaced out" feeling. And unlike true microdoses (~10ug), 20ug tends to make people less able to focus on their tasks. 2) As we all known, tolerance to LSD builds quickly.

SSRIs and tricyclic antidepressants are sometimes used for chronic pain, and the mechanism by which they inhibit it is probably similar, but they aren't as liable to reduce in rapid tolerance, so they are probably still better options for treating chronic pain than LSD.

However, for intermittent severe pain, LSD might be more helpful, but probably not on its own except MAYBE in specific cases like cluster headaches or migraines. For most severe pain, it would likely be used as an adjunct therapy with opioids. Maybe you could give lower doses of opioids, which would be helpful, but in most cases you would still need SOME opioids.

OfflineHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Low-Dose LSD Reduces Pain Perception [Re: morrowasted]
    #26975144 - 10/08/20 11:11 AM (21 days, 2 hours ago)

I wonder is 20ug is the lowest effective dose, or just the only one they tried.

I also wonder if this effect would continue to appear day after day, if so even if 20ug was the lowest effective dose I think said side effects would diminish quickly. Just because tolerance to the psychedelic effects develops rapidly, doesn't necessarily mean the same is true for its analgesic ones.

If used for acute pain and not chronic pain, I don't think said side effects would be as much of an issue though.

Offlinemorrowasted
Male User Gallery

Re: Low-Dose LSD Reduces Pain Perception [Re: Holybullshit] * 1
    #26975185 - 10/08/20 11:46 AM (21 days, 1 hour ago)

Here is the actual study. They tried 5, 10, and 20ug, as well as placebo. Only 20ug worked.

Offlinevemyr
Stranger
    #26976810 - 10/09/20 12:41 PM (20 days, 48 minutes ago)

Interesting. I had a sore throat and an injured toe last Sunday when I tripped on a low dose (75-100ug?) and both felt significantly improved until the next day, I was wondering whether it could have been the LSD.

I wonder if micro dosing for pain relief would be affected by a tolerance build up, like we see for LSD's psychedelic effects?

Invisibleopenmind
curious
 User Gallery

#26976985 - 10/09/20 02:33 PM (19 days, 22 hours ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
When I was addicted to kratom I would always wake up in withdrawal, feeling awful. However, if I would take LSD, say, on a Monday, then when I would wake up Tuesday morning, I wouldn't feel nearly as shitty. Later in the afternoon I would start to. I never tried intentionally microdosing to reduce W/D symptoms, though.

I find that the day or two after having a trip session mushrooms or LSD I can basically go with out taking my usual teaspoon of kratom and I won't really experience any symptoms of W/D creeping in like I usually would if I skipped my daily dose (1.5g to 2g taken twice a day).

There is def something going on there....and when I do take my daily dose the day after a trip I find it has a stronger effect than usual (as if the relatively mild tolerance I do have is gone).

When ever I do decide to take a break from the leaf I plan on doing so the day after a trip :yesnod: .

On the topic of LSD reducing pain....I crossed paths with some dude at a festival and chatted for a bit. He had some sort of issue with some sort of serious chronic pain that had an impact on his days and quality of life. I forget all the details of such but essentially he was talking about how he takes LSD somewhat often just so he gets a break from the pain he experiences daily. With LSD in his system he said he doesn't really notice the pain and isn't impacted by it like he normally would be. I believe he was taking full doses tho, basically having regular "vacations" from the pain.

In the long run/over time of using psychedelics...I feel there might also be something going on with neuroplasticity, or to put it crudely a "re-wiring" of things that changes one's perception of pain. For those who have had serious chronic pain for a long period of time.

-OM

--------------------

OfflineSugabearcrisp
Not Your Average Bear
Male User Gallery

Re: Low-Dose LSD Reduces Pain Perception [Re: openmind]
    #26977021 - 10/09/20 02:55 PM (19 days, 22 hours ago)

I have been suffering from chronic back pain for a number of years and find almost all serotonergic drugs block my pain and make me feel stronger at and above threshold dose.

To those asking about tolerance build up; it would appear they designed the study with a tolerance break (bolding by me)

Quote:

Twenty-four healthy participants (12 male, 12 female) participated in a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, within-subject study in which they received single oral doses of 5, 10, and 20 µg LSD (hydrate) and placebo on four separate test days. A minimum washout of 5 days proceeded in between to avoid carry-over effects...

OfflineskOsH
was here way back in 07

Loc: the PNW
Re: Low-Dose LSD Reduces Pain Perception [Re: Sugabearcrisp]
    #26992971 - 10/19/20 03:12 PM (9 days, 22 hours ago)

When I microdosed at 20ug, I did a lot of laborious yardwork. I felt absolutely no pain. It was like I was a robotic landscaper. It was incredible

I can vouch it did not really have an effect on my nervous system for pain at half the dose.

Also, twice the dose was too much and was no longer a microdose.

--------------------
I am usually wandering nature, smoking joints, and taking pictures of mushrooms. I don't care which ones, they're all fascinating to look at....especially when stoned, lol. Also I love nature. 2.13 years clean from alcohol, but I just can't kick the pills. Not yet. Working on it though...sort of. Sort of also not caring. In the middle of writing a song...it will never get finished because I am obsessed at trying to rhyme a jillion bars in a row with double/triple meanings throughout the song. It's about PTSD, TRD, being alone, coping with sanity, etc. Hopefully many people will benefit from listening to it. Aiming for ten verses!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale, Left Coast Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Buy Kratom Powder & Leaf, Kraken Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service