Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBiotrue
Stranger
 User Gallery

question about Sunlight reduction of psilocybin.
    #26974111 - 10/07/20 04:09 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Should I add shade?

My light is beyond adequate. My grow is contained in a small 2x2x2 foot space because it needs to remain very low key. I fit my Walmart monotub in the space and pull it out for misting and fanning. The light is above the monotub taped on the roof of the space which is really less than 18 inches from the substrate surface. its a 6500k led which is probably 100 watt equivalent. The proximity, color temp, and wattage combined concern me because, max potency and consistency between grows, is important to me.

In Stamets book psilocybin mushrooms of the world chapter 5. Page 37.

"I suspect that ultraviolet radiation from the sun markedly lessens the potency of psilocybin-containing mushrooms."

He goes on to say that in a conference in Mexico he observed that cubensis that were in the sun weak compared to those grown in the shade. He postulates that ultraviolet light destroys molecular bonds.

This was not a definitive statement however I am concerned about my grow and where i should put my lighting or if putting up some shade might be beneficial.

If I did add shade, how should I do It. Should I tape a piece of paper over the lid or maybe some cardboard and only allow indirect light in?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: question about Sunlight reduction of psilocybin. [Re: Biotrue]
    #26974237 - 10/07/20 05:43 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Mushrooms like, want, and need light to do well.
Potency is genetics. If you want max potency do agar work and forget about paul's books

--------------------
Welcome to the Advanced Mycology Forum

Bod's Library    Article behind a paywall? I can try to get it for you

OfflineSolipsis
m̶a̶d̶ disappointed scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: the Neitherlands Flag
Re: question about Sunlight reduction of psilocybin. [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26983710 - 10/13/20 05:05 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I wouldn't worry about it, esp not based on a random suspicion of Paul..

but also cause if it was regarding ultraviolet light, then why be concerned about your artificial lighting? As far as I know the UV coming from fluorescent or LED is negligible. idk about incandescent it cant be much.

You could do with a little less than that 100W yes, like you say. Why does the color temperature concern you? It doesn't suggest anything bad at all. :shrug:
Apply some sunscreen on the lid of the tub, haha.. jk

To breed for potency the big issue is: who can analyze their potency quantitatively? Testing it on yourself is just not reliable due to basic psychology and tolerance effects. But i guess if you wanna ignore tolerance and all that, set up a blind set of experiments:

Make different isolates, fruit and homogenize the product well. Then make numbered and measured doses, get some help or use a number system to keep it blind for yourself so that you don't know if you are getting anything and exactly how much, try to guess the potency. Store stuff in the freezer, leave enough time in between. Then after months or longer, see what isolate turned out to give best results and make new isolates from the spores of the winner, repeat.

anyway that wasnt the question.. anyway don't worry about that stuff, plenty other thiings to focus on

OfflineJustweed
Bobby's short shorts
 User Gallery

Re: question about Sunlight reduction of psilocybin. [Re: Solipsis]
    #26985073 - 10/14/20 12:41 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think there's been a quantitative analysis on mushrooms, but I highly doubt that mushrooms grown with light vs without light have a difference in potency. The use of light is typically to provide the mushrooms with a sense of 'up', I've noticed that some strains are more phototropic than others, but I've never heard of potency being effected. Some people do claim that light helps to trigger fruiting, but I don't believe this to be verified either.

--------------------

Keep 'em high and tight guys....

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate